Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,402 members, 7,861,139 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 02:43 AM

I'm Sure Of Winning In 2011 - Babangida - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I'm Sure Of Winning In 2011 - Babangida (4591 Views)

Atiku Is 65% Sure Of Winning APC Ticket- Campaign DG / Nyako Congratulates Ngilari, Says He’s Sure Of Returning To Office / List Of Nigeria's Current State Governors In 2011-2015 Term (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I'm Sure Of Winning In 2011 - Babangida by saemoenl(f): 2:22pm On Apr 17, 2010
Then continue doing ur campaign, best of luck , but don't rig the election
Re: I'm Sure Of Winning In 2011 - Babangida by slimes(m): 2:32pm On Apr 17, 2010
I'm afraid, he might win.
Re: I'm Sure Of Winning In 2011 - Babangida by Nobody: 2:41pm On Apr 17, 2010
@sjeezy8 he called himself the name 'evil genius' in an interview wit a nigerian mag way back, can't quite recall d name, maybe tell, the news or newswatch
Re: I'm Sure Of Winning In 2011 - Babangida by SamMilla1(m): 2:46pm On Apr 17, 2010
I cant doubt him. You can buy Nigeria with money.
I am waiting for Yoruba people to vote for him after the annulment June 12.
Re: I'm Sure Of Winning In 2011 - Babangida by Nobody: 2:47pm On Apr 17, 2010
Was dis man waiting for his wife to pass away b4 running for president? Hmm, maybe maryam was d one holding him back all dis while. Now who wan say woman/wife no get power. Kai men, we don suffer we fit b head but na women be d neck wey dey turn am!
Re: I'm Sure Of Winning In 2011 - Babangida by jenuel: 2:49pm On Apr 17, 2010
IBB enshrined corruption in Nigeria. He has nothing new to offer. LET IT BE SAID, IT IS OVER FOR ANY FORMER MILITARY BRASS TO ENTER ASO ROCK. DEMOCRACY MUST SURVIVE IN NAIJA. However, there is no VACANCY in Aso rock.
Re: I'm Sure Of Winning In 2011 - Babangida by becomricha: 3:01pm On Apr 17, 2010
He is the true political map how nigerian would vote.  This is 95% accurate.

You have to understand that Buhari is fulani/hausa, while IBB is Gwari. It would play major role in an election.

Re: I'm Sure Of Winning In 2011 - Babangida by Mannylex(m): 3:32pm On Apr 17, 2010
Where could he be getting so much confidence from? Hmmm let's wait and see, may the best/right man win. I hope Nigerian's don't make a mistake again.
Re: I'm Sure Of Winning In 2011 - Babangida by hugooh42(m): 3:41pm On Apr 17, 2010
We should remember when he was forced to quit after the annulment of June 12 1993  election .He said he was stepping aside meaning he is not yet through with Nigeria.Seventeen years later, he still thinks Nigeria of 1993 is still Nigeria of today.We should let these people know Nigeria is not their property . But i don't  blame him so much after all OBJ set the precedent .Ruled as a military ruler.Twenty year(20yrs) later after rigged himself  into power. So the cycle continues.
Re: I'm Sure Of Winning In 2011 - Babangida by celemel(m): 3:51pm On Apr 17, 2010
@DARTMAUL:
The magazine was TELL.  The cover title was : "I'M THE EVIL GENIUS - IBB" He was trying to explain in the interview that a lot of people see him as wise, and someone who makes informed decisions yet, they castigate him as evil. He was trying to sarcastically cast those two contradictory images of his as "EVIL GENIUS" (an impossible combination).  The name has stuck with him though. It was his first ever interview after "stepping aside". I still have my copy. He dodged every question, and refused to apologize for the annulment of June 12. He even said, he would still take the decision he took, if the same variables present themselves! IBB is an unrepentant power-hungry numbskull who rides on the crest of our usual "short memory" every time, to feather his nest.

He forgets that we are wiser now, and we can easily catch his antics today more than we could, 17 years ago. We drove him away then! We drove Abacha to his grave! We drove OBJ back to Otta.  We pushed the GEJ to assume powers of Mr. President (against the wish of the CABAL) even with the entire military standing with UMYA. We the people have the power in our hands now. When the time comes, we shall drive GEJ away (unless he performs his duties to our satisfaction and of course, he'll still go at the end) and WE SHALL NEVER ALLOW IBB on our collective psyches again! He's living a lie.  The people goading him on would sure destroy the last shred of fabrics hiding his failing frame. We are the people.
Re: I'm Sure Of Winning In 2011 - Babangida by Dominoifet(m): 3:55pm On Apr 17, 2010
@Kososvo

IBB said winning an election takes two things, which he thinks he has: the political party and the people.what else can i say, People just need to trow sentiments away and look at this experienced man rationally . .

Yes!!! But we won't throw away our senses.
Re: I'm Sure Of Winning In 2011 - Babangida by sley4life(m): 3:56pm On Apr 17, 2010
Get lost. Malu
Re: I'm Sure Of Winning In 2011 - Babangida by VIPICO(m): 5:57pm On Apr 17, 2010
What is Babangida. Is it the name of some kind of disease or something?
Please someone explain
Re: I'm Sure Of Winning In 2011 - Babangida by cap28: 8:37pm On Apr 17, 2010
only in nigeria can an animal who inflicted so much suffering on his own people have the guts to stage a comeback for a repetition of the same, could this man do this is anyother nation, where in the world does a man who stole £12billion in public funds have the balls to come out again to talk about running for office, - why is this man not sitting in kirikiri serving life. the fact that this man has been endorsed by the US as a credible candidate to run for president tells us what they think of us.

when are we going to realise that the destiny of this country lies in our own hands?
Re: I'm Sure Of Winning In 2011 - Babangida by bkbabe97: 8:53pm On Apr 17, 2010
lol. hahahahaha. The great Nigeria. So called "GIANT OF AFRICA". What a shame of a country. Well, what can I say when one of the first people to endorse this man that has committed so much crimes against humanity as president was no other that Odumegwu Ojukwu!!! See link below. Nigerians Ibos are the weirdest people eva!!!!

http://www.ifeyinka.com/2010/04/ibb-should-return-says-dim-odumegwu.html
Re: I'm Sure Of Winning In 2011 - Babangida by PastorOla1: 9:31pm On Apr 17, 2010
If IBB is sure of winning the next Presidetial Election because we love him or that he IBB deserve to be our next President by Contesting under any of the 51 parties. Let him contest under ACCORD PARTY AND NOT PDP let us see if he is going to win all
Re: I'm Sure Of Winning In 2011 - Babangida by hackney(m): 9:48pm On Apr 17, 2010
And before you know it , he is in again ruling nigeria.
A country of 140million people and we are recycling like there's no tomorrow.
The people in charge are like agents of satan hellbent on moving the country backwards.

Nigeria has no chance.
Re: I'm Sure Of Winning In 2011 - Babangida by metalgong5(m): 10:08pm On Apr 17, 2010
bk/babe97:

lol. hahahahaha. The great Nigeria. So called "GIANT OF AFRICA". What a shame of a country. Well, what can I say when one of the first people to endorse this man that has committed so much crimes against humanity as president was no other that Odumegwu Ojukwu!!! See link below. Nigerians are the weirdest people eva!!!!

http://www.ifeyinka.com/2010/04/ibb-should-return-says-dim-odumegwu.html

So you latino bastar.d is still alive?
Re: I'm Sure Of Winning In 2011 - Babangida by kay177(m): 10:15pm On Apr 17, 2010
What the evil genius aka IBB needs  now is a very hard tackled the 150 million Nigerians have turned PRO, either you called yourself Maradona, Messi or ROnaldo, the 150 millions you dribbled for 8 years have turned PRO, and they are ready to give you  the Tackle of your life, OLE, BARAWO BANZA,  cry cry cry cry cry shocked shocked shocked
Re: I'm Sure Of Winning In 2011 - Babangida by nex(m): 10:33pm On Apr 17, 2010
Well, 2011 is just nearby. IBB will lose woefully. I know I'm going to get a share of that money and he's still going to lose terribly.
Re: I'm Sure Of Winning In 2011 - Babangida by Ty207: 11:42pm On Apr 17, 2010
Any political party allowing IBB to run as presidential candidate such party is a big disgrace to Nigerian all they are interested is sharing our money like cake within thereself. so beware of such party. may God help us!
Re: I'm Sure Of Winning In 2011 - Babangida by bkbabe97: 12:07am On Apr 18, 2010
metal-gong:

So you latino bastar.d is still alive?

Ah, MENTAL-gong, my nicca, u get early release or did u escape from the asylum again?!? Well, lemme make a few calls so they can return u to where u rightfully belong!!!lol
Re: I'm Sure Of Winning In 2011 - Babangida by Guylan(m): 1:10am On Apr 18, 2010
Mr IBB

We are watching all your political moves. As a Nigerian citizen you have every right to contest for whatever political post you wish.
But, let me remind you that we haven't forgotten all the looting and mystery you brought to our nation in your 8 years of military dictatorship.
We haven't forgotten that Dele Giwa and many other military officers died under your watch  . We haven't forgotten what happened to MKO Abiola.
I hope my fellow Nigerians will  outsmart you and get every kobo of that stolen $12bn oil money you are  banking on to buy your way into
ASO ROCK before using their vote to reject you. Be warned, you will lose! grin grin grin grin
Re: I'm Sure Of Winning In 2011 - Babangida by Rmc1(m): 10:22am On Apr 18, 2010
IBB will loose woefully come 2011 he will get the disapointment of his life, except if he plans to rig the election. even that wont work because 150million nigerians do not want babangida and will resist him .

IBB during  his 8yr tyranical rule,stole $12billiondollars, incured loans from IMF in billions of dollars which incured interest in billions, and it took the goodwill of ngozi okonjo iweala/obj to pay off these loans and even save foreign reserves amounting to over  50billion dollars in our foreign reseves account. It is clear that IBB wants to come back and loot what is left in our foreign reserves.

In any normal country, IBB should be in jail and be banned from any public office not to talk of contesting for the presidency.
Re: I'm Sure Of Winning In 2011 - Babangida by Nobody: 11:08am On Apr 18, 2010
Nigeria is heading for disaster. The people of the south have arms ready they are willing to DISINTEGRATE if all our elders keep filling their coffers and keeping their mouths shut. There are other well meaning Nigerians able to steer the course of our country to greater heights he had his fair share of ruling and had nothing to show for it. We can and will be better. If IBB prevails RWANDA would be nothing to compare to what would happen here. The elites first, every politician, finally ethnic cleansing both north and south alike. There would be a new name for GENOCIDE.
Re: I'm Sure Of Winning In 2011 - Babangida by KnowAll(m): 12:11pm On Apr 18, 2010
Messers Babangida You are not winning anything, the only state u are winning is Niger State and that is tentative, the Plateau people should not vote for you because of Orkar and Dimka, even the Niger State people should not vote for you because of Vatsa. The core North should not vote for you because u are a back stabbing bast*rd, who stick the knife In when your Boss momentrally turned his back. The SW should not vote for u because u killed the dreams of one of Nigeria's foremost industrialist and business mogul, shattering the hopes of the poor man and sending him to an early grave.

The SE and SS uhm  , not sure if u have step on toes in that region, that might be your "Get out of Jail card"  but I am sure our Eastern brothers would come up with the catalogue of crimes u commited against them. One obvious one was making yourself a very wealthy man at the expense of the dirt, grime, and the sludges in the rives of Rivers State and Bayelsa State. ( Envormental Degradation )

Yes I can remember what u did to the SE,  and I am sure there are more atrocities out there,  the Unceremonious sacking of Commodore Ibite Ukiwe, and u want to be the President of Nigeria, when your destructive Tsunami has touched every region of the polity negatively.

I am sure in your hearts of hearts u don't intend to run, u are just testing the waters nobody have to tell u that your campaign has hit a brick wall. You can now suspend your experiment and let the serious Politicians get on with selecting our next President b4 u  rudely interupted their proceedings by your careless utterance in Asaba last week.
Re: I'm Sure Of Winning In 2011 - Babangida by Nobody: 12:31pm On Apr 18, 2010
@Rmc1,
Obj is as bad as IBB, given that he was probably one of the behind the scenes sponsors of IBB coup to overthrow Buhari.
Given he apparently stole $16bn budgetted to give us elecricity.
there probably wasn't any foreign reserve, given how dishonest OBJ is (has it been independently confirmed?) This despite 8year of record oil prices and thre nation's godwill.
OBJ deserves to be in prison with his friend IBB.
Rmc1:

it took the goodwill of obj to pay off these loans and even save foreign reserves amounting to over 50billion dollars in our foreign reseves account. It is clear that IBB wants to come back and loot what is left in our foreign reserves.

Re: I'm Sure Of Winning In 2011 - Babangida by Anaegboka(m): 1:36pm On Apr 18, 2010
If we, the masses leave the issue at the hands of the 'politifians' they will collect money from IBB and sell us off like they always do. Let us remember how we stood with MKO and see that the ball is in our court. Deal ruthlessly with anybody that mentions his name or we see with his poster, if you can get away with it, give the person an early introduction to his or her maker.
Re: I'm Sure Of Winning In 2011 - Babangida by anonimi: 2:23pm On Apr 18, 2010
The Babangida years

By Tolu Ogunlesi
April 17, 2010 10:36PM

In his first New Year Day’s speech as military president, months after deposing the Buhari-Idiagbon government in a bloodless coup enthusiastically welcomed by Nigerians, Ibrahim Babangida declared: “I wish to reaffirm that this administration does not intend to stay in power a day longer than is required to lay the necessary institutional framework to bring about a better and more stable Nigeria.” Babangida’s bonhomie (its trademark an endearing gap-toothed smile) - in stark contrast to the stern, unsmiling façade of Muhammadu Buhari, his predecessor - made it easy for him to be believed.
The distinction between the two regimes in fact ran much deeper than personality quirks. Babangida, in action, proved to be the complete antithesis of his predecessor. He threw open prison doors, setting free hundreds of 3rd republic politicians convicted and jailed by Buhari. He repealed the obnoxious Decree No. 4 of 1984 with which the Buhari regime had shackled the media. He promised to run “an open administration that is responsive to the yearnings and aspirations of all the people” - a departure from the high-handedness of the Buhari/Idiagbon era.
One of his first actions as military president was to allow Nigerians to decide, through public debates, whether to accept the $2.5 billion International Monetary Fund (IMF) loan the Buhari government had been negotiating for.
After the terror of the Buhari years, Nigerians appeared to have found a statesman in military uniform.

Tough times that lasted
By 1985, Nigeria’s foreign debt had ballooned to $18 billion, up from $3.4 billion in 1980 (it would rise beyond $30 billion by the end of the 80s), and external reserves had dwindled to less than $2 billion. Oil prices had been in freefall for 3 years running, and in January 1986 they finally fell to less than $20 per barrel, a record low since the start of the decade.
To his credit Babangida made all the right noises about revamping the economy. In his Independence Day 1985 speech, barely two months old in office, he declared “a state of economic emergency for the next 15 months.” That speech went on to lay down a comprehensive plan for “economic reconstruction”.
This plan included a moratorium on new foreign debt, promotion of agriculture and industrial development, restriction of importation to “essential commodities”, financial sector reform and privatisation.

Populist leanings
IBB was a master of the populist move - ambitious government programs targeted at tackling poverty, and empowering rural dwellers. His government churned out program after program, in a bid to actualize his promises to run an inclusive, people-facing government. In 1986, Babangida launched the Mass Mobilization for Self Reliance, Social Justice, and Economic Recovery (MAMSER).
In 1987, the Directorate of Food and Rural Infrastructure (DFFRI) was launched to promote agriculture and transform Nigeria’s rural landscape by providing modern infrastructure. Other Babangida creations include the National Directorate of Employment (NDE), National Economic Reconstruction Fund (NERFUND), Peoples Bank of Nigeria (PBN), National Board for Community Banks (NBCB), Nigerian Deposit Insurance Corporation (NDIC), Nigeria Export-Import Bank (NEXIM), National Planning Commission (NPC), and the Urban Development Bank.
No other Nigerian government presided over such substantial expansion of government bureaucracy as the Babangida administration. In time, the fiscal prudence that Babangida espoused vanished: billions of naira were sunk into an endless transition programme, and in the early ‘90s, 12 billion dollars worth of windfall crude oil revenue (courtesy of the rise in the oil prices due to the Gulf War) could not be accounted for.
Mr. Babangida also came to perfect the art of dispensing patronage through political appointments (mostly targeted at leading members of the opposition) and a far-from-transparent allocation of lucrative oil blocks.

“A man whose words mean nothing”
Mr. Babangida’s contradictions eventually overwhelmed his reputation so that when, in May 1993, the activist and lawyer Gani Fawehinmi described him as “a man whose words mean nothing to him”, evidence of this littered his eight years in power.
Only months after vowing to run a “government by consultation with the people”, Mr. Babangida in 1986 surreptitiously - and unilaterally - took Nigeria, an avowed secular state, into full membership of the Organisation of Islamic Conference (OIC), a body which describes itself as “the collective voice of the Muslim world.”
Mr. Babangida lamented the “large role played by the public sector in economic activity with hardly any concrete results to justify such a role.”Ironically, over the course of the next five years, he would go ahead to supervise an unprecedented expansion of government. And despite his deference to the wish of Nigerians to reject the IMF loan, Mr. Babangida went ahead to implement some of the Fund’s most drastic requirements - a devaluation of the naira, and removal of subsidies, chief of which were the petroleum subsidies.
Mr. Babangida promised Nigerians that the “belt-tightening” was sorely needed: the painful injection that would usher in vibrant economic health; the mandatory dark lining before a cloud of prosperity. Those reforms, which he christened “Structural Adjustment Programme (SAP)”, came into effect in 1986, with a far-from-pleasant impact on Nigerians. Purchasing powers dwindled, inflation rose, and the obliteration of the middle class began. In 1989, SAP riots rocked the country, as Nigerians had finally had enough of economic reforms which silver lining they waited in vain for.

Greatest failings
Mr. Babangida’s greatest failings were however in two key areas: his human rights record, and his political transition programme. In December 1985, a group of soldiers, which included his close friend, Mamman Vatsa, were arrested on allegations of plotting to topple the 4-month old Babangida government. After Vatsa was convicted and sentenced to death, Mr. Babangida assured a delegation of distinguished writers (Wole Soyinka, Chinua Achebe and J.P. Clark), which had come pleading for mercy, that he was “determined to do everything in my power to save (Vatsa).”
Hours later, Vatsa and the other alleged plotters were executed.
As opposition to Mr. Babangida’s rule grew, so did his intolerance for dissent, so that he routinely shut down or proscribed media houses; and harassed journalists, civil society and labour groups using the instruments of state (the State Security Service, Directorate of Military Intelligence and the Police).
In 1986, five students of the Ahmadu Bello University were murdered when mobile policemen invaded the campus to quell anti-IMF protests. He also promulgated a series of draconian decrees targeted at quelling all opposition, and on occasion did not hesitate to deport foreign critics (University lecturer Patrick Wilmot and journalist William Keeling).
In October 1986, frontline journalist Dele Giwa was murdered by a letter bomb in Lagos. Preliminary police investigations stated that senior officers of Mr. Babangida’s intelligence services, who had hounded Giwa in his final days, had questions to answer regarding Giwa’s death. The mystery of the Giwa assassination remains unsolved till date.

An interminable journey
A maddeningly convoluted transition programme, whose terminal date soon became a mirage - first 1990, then 1992, and then 1993 - is one of the most significant things Babangida will be remembered for.
Early on in his administration, Mr. Babangida inaugurated a “Political Bureau” to “kick off, as it were, the national debate on a viable future political ethos and structure for our dear country.”
The political bureau was soon followed by a Constituent Assembly, which in 1989 fashioned a new constitution for the country.
Also, in 1989, he created, by presidential fiat, two political parties, the Social Democratic Party and the National Republican Convention. Then in 1991, he released a controversial list of prominent politicians whom he said were banned from participating in the transition programme.
In October 1992, he cancelled the results of the parties’ presidential primaries, causing new primaries to be held in March 1993. And then in June 1993 he annulled the results of the presidential elections, presumed to have been won by billionaire businessman MKO Abiola.

This was the final straw.
By this time, Nigerians had finally had enough of his shenanigans, and violent protests forced him to “step aside” on August 27, 1993,“My colleagues and I are determined to change the course of history,” Mr. Babangida told Nigerians in his maiden speech as Head of State, on August 27, 1985.
By the time he reluctantly relinquished power exactly eight years later, he had achieved that goal, far more successfully than he, or anyone else, could ever have imagined.

Source: Next
Re: I'm Sure Of Winning In 2011 - Babangida by beystwin: 2:55pm On Apr 18, 2010
Well, 2011 is just nearby. IBB will lose woefully. I know I'm going to get a share of that money and he's still going to lose terribly
Maga must pay. LOl. I love Naija.
Re: I'm Sure Of Winning In 2011 - Babangida by Rastamann: 8:06pm On Apr 18, 2010
Yes, we don't really know him. I keep wondering why African rulers are selfish and shameless. What on earth did IBB forgot at Aso Rock that he wants to go get? He did not turn Nigeria around as a military ruler for 9 years when he had autocrartic power, is it now that he will rule and be surrounded with the ambitionless and visionless assembly men who will fustrate any good intention any president has unless they are settled. Well, I hope that this is not the begining of the end for this man, IBB.
Re: I'm Sure Of Winning In 2011 - Babangida by tonio2: 8:35pm On Apr 18, 2010
Rastamann:

Yes, we don't really know him. I keep wondering why African rulers are selfish and shameless. What on earth did IBB forgot at Aso Rock that he wants to go get? He did not turn Nigeria around as a military ruler for 9 years when he had autocrartic power, is it now that he will rule and be surrounded with the ambitionless and visionless assembly men who will fustrate any good intention any president has unless they are settled. Well, I hope that this is not the begining of the end for this man, IBB.

makes sense!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

PHOTOS update: Robbers Kill 11 People @first Bank In Ikare-akoko, Ondo State / Reason Why Buhari Is Blocking DSS From Aso Rock / Why The CCB And CCT Are Wrong In Saraki's Case

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.