Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,185 members, 7,829,249 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 10:35 PM

Senate Vs Magu: Court Judgement Has No Effect - Sagay, Keyamo React - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senate Vs Magu: Court Judgement Has No Effect - Sagay, Keyamo React (19466 Views)

Dino Melaye's Return To Senate Vs Fans' Backlash / Nigerian Senate Vs Ukraine:See What Ukrainians Did To Corrupt Politicans(pics) / DSS Vs Magu: Presidency Reacts Again (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Senate Vs Magu: Court Judgement Has No Effect - Sagay, Keyamo React by kirajustice: 7:56am On Feb 02, 2018
@POLITICSNGR

Senior Lawyers, Itse Sagay and Festus Keyamo have weighed in on a recent court judgment regarding Ibrahim Magu's status as the acting Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission(EFCC).

On Thursday, a federal high court in Abuja presided over by Justice T. Tsoho ruled that the Nigerian Senate acted in accordance with the law when it screened and rejected Ibrahim Magu's nomination as chairman of the EFCC.

Reacting to the development, Keyamo said; “The fact that the law has not circumscribed the amount of time or the time period that someone can act as the head of an agency, it would mean therefore that I see no legal problem at all in Ibrahim Magu continuing to act as the Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, there is no legal impediment at all.”

Sagay, who is also the chairman of PACAC, said; "I don’t expect that the judgment will have an effect on Ibrahim Magu’s status as Acting EFCC Chairman. I don’t expect that there’s anything externally that is going to affect Magu’s position.

"I don’t know whether the judge considered Section 171 of the Constitution which even allows the President to appoint heads of agencies like Magu’s agency without any reference to the Senate. That is already there, so I don’t know what was brought to the court’s attention. When we see the full judgment we will be able to express our opinion,".

https://politicsngr.com/court-judgement-wont-affect-magu-sagay-keyamo/

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senate Vs Magu: Court Judgement Has No Effect - Sagay, Keyamo React by agwom(m): 7:59am On Feb 02, 2018
undecided
Re: Senate Vs Magu: Court Judgement Has No Effect - Sagay, Keyamo React by escodotman: 8:10am On Feb 02, 2018
Sagay will continue to always spew out rubbish and trash in order to justify his pay cheque to his pay masters in Aso villa while he continues to be a disgrace to his legal profession. It is only in Nigeria government will choose court judgements which favour them to obey and disregard others which do not favour them.

47 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Senate Vs Magu: Court Judgement Has No Effect - Sagay, Keyamo React by Splinz(m): 8:19am On Feb 02, 2018
Obviously, people like Sagay don't wonna bite the finger that feed them. The old man don't even give a flying f*ck about the judicial system of which he is a member. Na grandpa and his belle alone.

Okay. Here, Sagay's favorite part of the Constitution is Section 171. As his darling, Section 2(3) of the EFCC Act cannot stand because it wouldn't pay his bills. I mean, Sagay be like: 'If bubu come fire me nkor'?

All these is a game of interest and favorites, both from the senate and Presidency. No one give a damn about harmonious working relationship of the whole polity.

SMH.

19 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Senate Vs Magu: Court Judgement Has No Effect - Sagay, Keyamo React by Luckylife(m): 8:35am On Feb 02, 2018
Please who knows where banana Republic is located in the world , Politician turned lawyers have rape Nigeria laws to coma .

8 Likes

Re: Senate Vs Magu: Court Judgement Has No Effect - Sagay, Keyamo React by Luckylife(m): 8:37am On Feb 02, 2018
Please who knows where banana Republic is located in the world , Politician turned lawyers have rape Nigeria laws to coma . So if not Magu no Nigerians even more intelligently look than him , They are in a mess!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Senate Vs Magu: Court Judgement Has No Effect - Sagay, Keyamo React by luvinhubby(m): 8:39am On Feb 02, 2018
About time Sagay and Keyamo are picked up for contempt of court.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Senate Vs Magu: Court Judgement Has No Effect - Sagay, Keyamo React by dokiOloye(m): 8:47am On Feb 02, 2018
I saw this coming.
So many charlatans in the legal profession.
Showbiz Lawyer Keyamo is now superior to d courts in d zoo.
SMH.

13 Likes

Re: Senate Vs Magu: Court Judgement Has No Effect - Sagay, Keyamo React by usba: 8:55am On Feb 02, 2018
grin grin grin grin Nigerian judges know how to give judgement the that are open to interpretation.

1 Like

Re: Senate Vs Magu: Court Judgement Has No Effect - Sagay, Keyamo React by superemmy(m): 9:16am On Feb 02, 2018
Itse Sagay is nothing more than a BMC Chief

9 Likes

Re: Senate Vs Magu: Court Judgement Has No Effect - Sagay, Keyamo React by BlogDevelopers(m): 11:38am On Feb 02, 2018
grin
Re: Senate Vs Magu: Court Judgement Has No Effect - Sagay, Keyamo React by Koolking(m): 11:40am On Feb 02, 2018
Why is the senate opposing the appointment of Magu as EFCC Chairman? The man is doing his job well, I expected the senate to support him.

Looks like the senate wants an armchair EFCC chairman that will always be at their 'beck and call'.

President Obasanjo used to pay them in order to get things move faster, I think that era had long past. The senate has to evolved and embrace reality.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senate Vs Magu: Court Judgement Has No Effect - Sagay, Keyamo React by vecman22(m): 11:41am On Feb 02, 2018
Re: Senate Vs Magu: Court Judgement Has No Effect - Sagay, Keyamo React by sanpipita(m): 11:45am On Feb 02, 2018
Haha Nigeria is gone until these frauds leave office.

1 Like

Re: Senate Vs Magu: Court Judgement Has No Effect - Sagay, Keyamo React by sanpipita(m): 11:46am On Feb 02, 2018
dokiOloye:
I saw this coming. So many charlatans in the legal profession. Showbiz Lawyer Keyamo is now superior to d courts in d zoo. SMH.
My brother Nigeria is finished under this people, our laws mean nothing to them

2 Likes

Re: Senate Vs Magu: Court Judgement Has No Effect - Sagay, Keyamo React by bid4rich(m): 11:47am On Feb 02, 2018
My country my country. Nigeria is ...................
Re: Senate Vs Magu: Court Judgement Has No Effect - Sagay, Keyamo React by Sirjohn84(m): 11:47am On Feb 02, 2018
above the law season 1

1 Like

Re: Senate Vs Magu: Court Judgement Has No Effect - Sagay, Keyamo React by linearity: 11:47am On Feb 02, 2018
kirajustice:
When we see the full judgment we will be able to express our opinion...

So why not take your own advise and wait before expressing an opinion?

The constitutional responsibility of the court is to interpret our laws and they have the final say on what the law says, despite what is written.

Our duty is to obey the court orders. If you are not satisfied, ask for a stay and/or appeal the case. You will be given an opportunity to present your case and arguments.

3 Likes

Re: Senate Vs Magu: Court Judgement Has No Effect - Sagay, Keyamo React by AnanseK(m): 11:48am On Feb 02, 2018
escodotman:
Sagay will continue to always spew out rubbish and trash in order to justify his pay cheque to his pay masters in Aso villa while he continues to be a disgrace to his legal profession. It is only in Nigeria government will choose court judgements which favour them to obey and disregard others which do not favour them.

You and your masters are desperate to reverse the progress made in fighting corruption. Magu will stay as acting chairman and fight you the icons of corruption in the senate. We are not returning to the times when stealing was not corruption.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Senate Vs Magu: Court Judgement Has No Effect - Sagay, Keyamo React by Femistico(m): 11:48am On Feb 02, 2018
How I wish 2019 can come faster. This Sagna or sagay whatever he's called need to sit his ass down and stop spewing thrash

2 Likes

Re: Senate Vs Magu: Court Judgement Has No Effect - Sagay, Keyamo React by BabaO2: 11:57am On Feb 02, 2018
escodotman:
What rubbish here? open your mind, read and understand. What did senate take to court? To affirm that they have right to reject Magu? Does the president have right to continue with Magu as acting Chairman? etc., it is a flexible case that will take forever...

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Senate Vs Magu: Court Judgement Has No Effect - Sagay, Keyamo React by Olumaeme: 12:01pm On Feb 02, 2018
Koolking:
Why is the senate opposing the appointment of Magu as EFCC Chairman? The man is doing his job well, I expected the senate to support him.

Looks like the senate wants an armchair EFCC chairman that will always be at their 'beck and call'.

President Obasanjo used to pay them in order to get things move faster, I think that era had long past. The senate has to evolved and embrace reality.

Oga Senate is not against Magu, DSS indicted him, EFCC and DSS are under the presidency.. Why not blame the presidency for not handling its affairs well.

Senate is acting on a report, it's not about doing something well or not, it's about obeying the law of the land..

Infact, you can do something legal on an illegal foundation...

Let's even come to this Magu, what exactly is he doing well? How many top politicians has he jailed? EFCC has even lost more cases under his leadership than anytime before, all they do is bark all around the place and get defeated in the court...

8 Likes

Re: Senate Vs Magu: Court Judgement Has No Effect - Sagay, Keyamo React by Olumaeme: 12:03pm On Feb 02, 2018
AnanseK:

You and your masters are desperate to reverse the progress made in fighting corruption. Magu will stay as acting chairman and fight you the icons of corruption in the senate. We are not returning to the times when stealing was not corruption.

Please name 5 icons he has jailed.... I have been away in Siberia

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Senate Vs Magu: Court Judgement Has No Effect - Sagay, Keyamo React by Koolking(m): 12:07pm On Feb 02, 2018
Olumaeme:

Oga Senate is not against Magu, DSS indicted him, EFCC and DSS are under the presidency.. Why not blame the presidency for not handling its affairs well.

Senate is acting on a report, it's not about doing something well or not, it's about obeying the law of the land..

Let's even come to this Magu, what exactly is he doing well? How many top politicians has he jailed? EFCC has even lost more cases under his leadership than anytime before, all they do is bark all around the place and get defeated in the court...

Your opinion. You are welcome
Re: Senate Vs Magu: Court Judgement Has No Effect - Sagay, Keyamo React by GavelSlam: 12:18pm On Feb 02, 2018
Olumaeme:

Many forfeitures have been made.

If in doubt, a certain Patience Faka Jonathan could tell you more.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senate Vs Magu: Court Judgement Has No Effect - Sagay, Keyamo React by dancewith: 12:19pm On Feb 02, 2018
So why bother asking sentate to confirm anyone when we know this is mere ceremony?

This precedent is dangerous in that future president can rightly ignore the Senate in confirming required appointments and use this

If the president actually wanted this man confirmed, why did it allow an agency under its control to forward such an adverse report against its appointee? Were the Senate expected to ignore that?? If they had done the future would have hindsighted this as a sign of collusion

Claiming the Senate has pecunial interest in not confirming this appointee is like using sentiments and blackmail in trying to get approval from a shoddy work done. If this man drops dead today would the executive be unable to continue its anti corruption fight?

We must not only do the right things but be seen to do so by all. This farcical situation of defending the indefensible must stop

2 Likes

Re: Senate Vs Magu: Court Judgement Has No Effect - Sagay, Keyamo React by OBAGADAFFI: 12:19pm On Feb 02, 2018
According to Sagay

"I don’t know whether the judge considered Section 171 of the Constitution which even allows the President to appoint heads of agencies like Magu’s agency without any reference to the Senate."

Then let President Buhari Confirm Magu by himself, without reference the Senate.

4 Likes

Re: Senate Vs Magu: Court Judgement Has No Effect - Sagay, Keyamo React by AntiWailer: 12:21pm On Feb 02, 2018
Simple.

How will Magu survive any arm of Govt.

He took on Saraki's wife --- forget Senate.

He arrested some Judges - forget judiciary

He arrested some Governor's aides - Forget NGF

He took Up DSS - Forget DSS report.

I am not saying he must be the one but I don't think any candidate everybody is happy with do a good job.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senate Vs Magu: Court Judgement Has No Effect - Sagay, Keyamo React by gurunlocker: 12:23pm On Feb 02, 2018
Since the inception of this administration, most of the people in the government don't obey court orders, even the one at the top...

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Tin-can, Onne, Delta, Calabar Ports Collapsing, NPA Raises Alarm / Lagos Assembly Passes DNA And Forensic Centre Bill Into Law / Nigerians Top List Of Private Jet Owners In Africa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.