Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,427 members, 7,850,513 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 11:42 PM

Senate Vs Magu: Court Judgement Has No Effect - Sagay, Keyamo React - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senate Vs Magu: Court Judgement Has No Effect - Sagay, Keyamo React (19481 Views)

Dino Melaye's Return To Senate Vs Fans' Backlash / Nigerian Senate Vs Ukraine:See What Ukrainians Did To Corrupt Politicans(pics) / DSS Vs Magu: Presidency Reacts Again (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Senate Vs Magu: Court Judgement Has No Effect - Sagay, Keyamo React by Namt: 12:30pm On Feb 02, 2018
Now, the Senate should never be allowed to approve heads of agencies like EFCC especially considering the fact that many members of the Senate are under investigation by the same EFCC/Magu, even the Senate president himself.

1 Like

Re: Senate Vs Magu: Court Judgement Has No Effect - Sagay, Keyamo React by NairaMaster1(m): 12:31pm On Feb 02, 2018
KEYAMO.....THE PARTISAN SAN

2 Likes

Re: Senate Vs Magu: Court Judgement Has No Effect - Sagay, Keyamo React by tiger28: 12:52pm On Feb 02, 2018
I see how young ppl here are talking rubbish for other obvious reason. My question here is "HOW CAN THIEVES (SENATE) CONFIRM THE APPOINTMENT OF THEIR INVESTIGATOR"It makes no sense whatsoever! We all know the reason why these thieves are making it difficult to confirm this guy .Though am not crazy about magu, he and the Pioneer efcc boss from adamawa ( forgot his name) are the only effc boss that seem to give these politicians sleepless nights. This is the same way i feel about the president selecting INEC chairman. How can a president who will run for an upcoming election decides who becomes the election chief monitor?are we all ok?

2 Likes

Re: Senate Vs Magu: Court Judgement Has No Effect - Sagay, Keyamo React by Awoo88: 12:59pm On Feb 02, 2018
This sagay of man is just a big idiot. Was it not the FG that went to court to prove that Senate had no power to confirm magu or not? This man who was said to be a good constitutional lawyer has turned out to be thinking with his stomach instead of his brain. He seem to think Buhari will be there forever

1 Like

Re: Senate Vs Magu: Court Judgement Has No Effect - Sagay, Keyamo React by Okoroawusa: 12:59pm On Feb 02, 2018
escodotman:
Sagay will continue to always spew out rubbish and trash in order to justify his pay cheque to his pay masters in Aso villa while he continues to be a disgrace to his legal profession. It is only in Nigeria government will choose court judgements which favour them to obey and disregard others which do not favour them.
Name one person in ur family as educated as sagay

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Senate Vs Magu: Court Judgement Has No Effect - Sagay, Keyamo React by dheilaw1(m): 1:22pm On Feb 02, 2018
BabaO2:
What rubbish here? open your mind, read and understand. What did senate take to court? To affirm that they have right to reject Magu? Does the president have right to continue with Magu as acting Chairman? etc., it is a flexible case that will take forever...
thank you jare. the level of illiteracy in this country is still very high. the court has given its judgement that it is withing the constitutional power of the Senate to either confirm or reject Magu. we should also ask what the laws says about Magu remaining as the acting chairman of efcc as long as the president wants. or does the Senate have the power to remove him as acting chairman. many people will only comment here becos they feel they should comment without considering how unreasonable their comments are

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Senate Vs Magu: Court Judgement Has No Effect - Sagay, Keyamo React by Chrisjordan2015(m): 2:49pm On Feb 02, 2018
You would think that a Court's judgment should be followed except it is stayed for want of an appeal. This is setting a dangerous precedent in a family tree of dangerous precedents.

Also, how much has been recovered from the coffers of the 'corrupt' since Magu headed the Commission? I hear the amounts they prosecute but I havent heard of a landmark win the commission has successfully gotten.

We shouldnt just applaud the man when he says hes prosecuting so and so amount without any tangible thing to show for it. Next time you'd hear that they are prosecuting someone that stole 4 billion naira and when you find out the conclusion of the sum recovered, your guess would be as good as mine.

Furthermore, theres a mix up of "what the law is' with 'what the law should be'. The Senate (including their corrupt bunch) will take advantage of this situation due to the Act that establishes the EFCC (the EFCC Act). Ordinarily, this shouldnt be so but hey, its naija.
Re: Senate Vs Magu: Court Judgement Has No Effect - Sagay, Keyamo React by jingolo1111: 3:15pm On Feb 02, 2018
Y d senate dnt want to leave magu alone,wat has he done to dem!!! Which kind useless senate b dis.... senate against Hameed Ali,senate against Magu.. senate against anybody doin d ryt tin.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Senate Vs Magu: Court Judgement Has No Effect - Sagay, Keyamo React by Remii(m): 3:34pm On Feb 02, 2018
Senate having right to reject may not necessarily mean the rejection should lead to replacement, I guess, unless the judgement or the law says so. Aparrently, asking the senator to screen Magu was an unnecessary step in the first place. It’s like discharge and acquitted you have to get both to be completely free, I guess

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Senate Vs Magu: Court Judgement Has No Effect - Sagay, Keyamo React by Yusman316(m): 3:35pm On Feb 02, 2018
dancewith:
So why bother asking sentate to confirm anyone when we know this is mere ceremony?

This precedent is dangerous in that future president can rightly ignore the Senate in confirming required appointments and use this

If the president actually wanted this man confirmed, why did it allow an agency under its control to forward such an adverse report against its appointee? Were the Senate expected to ignore that?? If they had done the future would have hindsighted this as a sign of collusion

Claiming the Senate has pecunial interest in not confirming this appointee is like using sentiments and blackmail in trying to get approval from a shoddy work done. If this man drops dead today would the executive be unable to continue its anti corruption fight?

We must not only do the right things but be seen to do so by all. This farcical situation of defending the indefensible must stop
If i may pls ask, the people or agency that indicted him, did they provide Nigerians or the senate with any evidence of his offenses? If he Magu committed any indictment offense, why didn't anybody had him petitioned and taken to court. The whole thing revolves around the fact that some people both in the executive and legislator don't want him there, for reasons only known to them

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Senate Vs Magu: Court Judgement Has No Effect - Sagay, Keyamo React by Bhol28: 3:44pm On Feb 02, 2018
Nigerian Judges of confusion and half judgements .we know Senate acted in accordance with the law when it screened and rejected Magu but what the Judge needs to clarify is if the president must withdraw him and present another person.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Senate Vs Magu: Court Judgement Has No Effect - Sagay, Keyamo React by ivandragon: 4:05pm On Feb 02, 2018
as usual, a dangerous precedence is being set & if it becomes 'institutionalised', some Nigerians will conveniently forget the genesis of the problem.

the legislooters & executhieves need to find a common ground on this matter & resolve it amicably.
Re: Senate Vs Magu: Court Judgement Has No Effect - Sagay, Keyamo React by israelmao(m): 5:07pm On Feb 02, 2018
Keyamo has been portraying himself as APC lawyer this day.
Re: Senate Vs Magu: Court Judgement Has No Effect - Sagay, Keyamo React by webngnews: 5:08pm On Feb 02, 2018
Hehehehehe
Re: Senate Vs Magu: Court Judgement Has No Effect - Sagay, Keyamo React by TijaniAbu: 5:23pm On Feb 02, 2018
Both Keyamo and Sagay should be sacked along with Magu
Re: Senate Vs Magu: Court Judgement Has No Effect - Sagay, Keyamo React by Lawalemi(m): 5:32pm On Feb 02, 2018
This is a dysfunctional system where checks and balances are not observed
Re: Senate Vs Magu: Court Judgement Has No Effect - Sagay, Keyamo React by escodotman: 5:34pm On Feb 02, 2018
Okoroawusa:

Name one person in ur family as educated as sagay
Not everyone came from a lowly family like you if you are thinking of comparing your family to other peoples'. I can see your family is filled with low lifes and ''no future ambition''s (NFAs) and your a product of your pig father!
Re: Senate Vs Magu: Court Judgement Has No Effect - Sagay, Keyamo React by escodotman: 5:43pm On Feb 02, 2018
BabaO2:
What rubbish here? open your mind, read and understand. What did senate take to court? To affirm that they have right to reject Magu? Does the president have right to continue with Magu as acting Chairman? etc., it is a flexible case that will take forever...
Young man, dont try to twist the law here, understand? Go and study the EFCC act before coming here to comment. It's clearly stated there that the chairmanship position of the Commission will be subject to the APPROVAL of the Senate. So that no president will instal his younger brother or nephew or member of his party as the EFCC chairman. Any presidential nominee rejected by the upper chamber, TWICE!!!, has no right to continue in his position again. Unless this is a lawless country! Is Magu the only man out of over 100million people capable of heading the EFCC??
Re: Senate Vs Magu: Court Judgement Has No Effect - Sagay, Keyamo React by escodotman: 5:49pm On Feb 02, 2018
AnanseK:

You and your masters are desperate to reverse the progress made in fighting corruption. Magu will stay as acting chairman and fight you the icons of corruption in the senate. We are not returning to the times when stealing was not corruption.
Yes he'll continue and the law and the court judgments must be ignored. Oh yes, who cares about any nonsense court because we are in lawless country and a banana republic.
Re: Senate Vs Magu: Court Judgement Has No Effect - Sagay, Keyamo React by escodotman: 6:07pm On Feb 02, 2018
dheilaw1:
thank you jare. the level of illiteracy in this country is still very high. the court has given its judgement that it is withing the constitutional power of the Senate to either confirm or reject Magu. we should also ask what the laws says about Magu remaining as the acting chairman of efcc as long as the president wants. or does the Senate have the power to remove him as acting chairman. many people will only comment here becos they feel they should comment without considering how unreasonable their comments are
I can see how LITERATE you are sir! It is actually spelt as *within* and NOT *withing* lol. The EFCC act is clear and unambigous about the appointment of the Commision's Chairman. Must one man be causing rifts between the executive and the legislature, thereby setting the country back because he came from the clan of the president and the cabal like other heads of security agencies, even when the law has spoken? I think it is your own comment that is most and highly unreasonable.
Re: Senate Vs Magu: Court Judgement Has No Effect - Sagay, Keyamo React by Tecno66: 6:10pm On Feb 02, 2018
These lawyers are just funny. By their footsteps, you shall know them. From their uterances you know which side of the divide they belong. Sagay that is quick to ask people to go to court if they feel agrieved now says the judgement is not binding. This is poor. Let them advise the govt to appeal the judgement since it didnt meet their expectations.
kirajustice:
@POLITICSNGR

Senior Lawyers, Itse Sagay and Festus Keyamo have weighed in on a recent court judgment regarding Ibrahim Magu's status as the acting Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission(EFCC).

On Thursday, a federal high court in Abuja presided over by Justice T. Tsoho ruled that the Nigerian Senate acted in accordance with the law when it screened and rejected Ibrahim Magu's nomination as chairman of the EFCC.

Reacting to the development, Keyamo said; “The fact that the law has not circumscribed the amount of time or the time period that someone can act as the head of an agency, it would mean therefore that I see no legal problem at all in Ibrahim Magu continuing to act as the Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, there is no legal impediment at all.”

Sagay, who is also the chairman of PACAC, said; "I don’t expect that the judgment will have an effect on Ibrahim Magu’s status as Acting EFCC Chairman. I don’t expect that there’s anything externally that is going to affect Magu’s position.

"I don’t know whether the judge considered Section 171 of the Constitution which even allows the President to appoint heads of agencies like Magu’s agency without any reference to the Senate. That is already there, so I don’t know what was brought to the court’s attention. When we see the full judgment we will be able to express our opinion,".

https://politicsngr.com/court-judgement-wont-affect-magu-sagay-keyamo/
Re: Senate Vs Magu: Court Judgement Has No Effect - Sagay, Keyamo React by deomelllo: 6:16pm On Feb 02, 2018
luvinhubby:
About time Sagay and Keyamo are picked up for contempt of court.

What laws was broken or violated?
Re: Senate Vs Magu: Court Judgement Has No Effect - Sagay, Keyamo React by deomelllo: 6:23pm On Feb 02, 2018
escodotman:
Young man, dont try to twist the law here, understand? Go and study the EFCC act before coming here to comment. It's clearly stated there that the chairmanship position of the Commission will be subject to the APPROVAL of the Senate. So that no president will instal his younger brother or nephew or member of his party as the EFCC chairman. Any presidential nominee rejected by the upper chamber, TWICE!!!, has no right to continue in his position again. Unless this is a lawless country! Is Magu the only man out of over 100million people capable of heading the EFCC??

I that from your own personal constitution or just your own opinion because no law says the president can not renominate the same candidate.
Re: Senate Vs Magu: Court Judgement Has No Effect - Sagay, Keyamo React by escodotman: 6:29pm On Feb 02, 2018
deomelllo:

I that from your own personal constitution or just your own opinion because no law says the president can not renominate the same candidate.
It is not my own personal constitution but the constitution of Nigeria. You can only nominate the same candidtate twice. Ask any lawyer if you have one there with you.
Re: Senate Vs Magu: Court Judgement Has No Effect - Sagay, Keyamo React by deomelllo: 6:31pm On Feb 02, 2018
Olumaeme:

Oga Senate is not against Magu, DSS indicted him, EFCC and DSS are under the presidency.. Why not blame the presidency for not handling its affairs well.

Senate is acting on a report, it's not about doing something well or not, it's about obeying the law of the land..

Infact, you can do something legal on an illegal foundation...

Let's even come to this Magu, what exactly is he doing well? How many top politicians has he jailed? EFCC has even lost more cases under his leadership than anytime before, all they do is bark all around the place and get defeated in the court...

Magu’s rejection not based on DSS report — Saraki

Senate President Bukola Saraki has said the Senate did not reject the acting Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, Mr. Ibrahim Magu, because of a damning report issued by the Department of State Services which questioned Magu’s integrity.

The Senate President was reacting to a claim by a former Senate Majority Leader, Ali Ndume, who said last week that it was hypocritical of the Senate to allow Saraki to continue in office because he was in court to defend corruption allegations.

Ndume had argued that the Senate should not have rejected Magu based on unproven allegations.

Saraki said, “You are jumping into conclusion that he (Magu) was rejected because of the accusation. I don’t think there was anywhere we said he was rejected based on accusations.

“We have nominees that come all the time with different issues. Two weeks ago, we screened the Chief Justice of Nigeria and he scaled through

http://punchng.com/magus-rejection-not-based-on-dss-report-saraki/

You mean the fake and bogus report by the DSS?

Well, sorry to burst your bubble, the same Senate via the Senate president himself changed tune and admitted that they did not reject Magu based on the bogus DSS report (After getting caught).

They've changed their story report to some meaningless screening and what they can not explain exactly to the general public what was screened and what they found.

If it wasn't DSS report, then what?

Do you know?

These are crooks trying everything possible under the sun to have a friendly EFCC chairman to corrupt and give them get out of jail free cards.

Asking crooks on trial and under investigation by the EFCC to approve the same EFCC boss and a prosecutor is like asking armed robbers on trial to pick their own favorite judges.

Regardless your tribal or political affiliation, this is not good for you and Nigeria, there's got to be a better way.
Re: Senate Vs Magu: Court Judgement Has No Effect - Sagay, Keyamo React by deomelllo: 6:41pm On Feb 02, 2018
escodotman:
It is not my own personal constitution but the constitution of Nigeria. You can only nominate the same candidtate twice. Ask any lawyer if you have one there with you.

If it is not your own personal constitution, then show us the part in the Nigerian constitution that says you can only nominate once or twice.
Re: Senate Vs Magu: Court Judgement Has No Effect - Sagay, Keyamo React by deomelllo: 6:43pm On Feb 02, 2018
Namt:

Now, the Senate should never be allowed to approve heads of agencies like EFCC especially considering the fact that many members of the Senate are under investigation by the same EFCC/Magu, even the Senate president himself.

It's like armed robbers approving their own favorite judges and prosecutor.
Re: Senate Vs Magu: Court Judgement Has No Effect - Sagay, Keyamo React by Okoroawusa: 7:24pm On Feb 02, 2018
escodotman:
Not everyone came from a lowly family like you if you are thinking of comparing your family to other peoples'. I can see your family is filled with low lifes and ''no future ambition''s (NFAs) and your a product of your pig father!
Na for only Nairaland u get power
Re: Senate Vs Magu: Court Judgement Has No Effect - Sagay, Keyamo React by escodotman: 7:38pm On Feb 02, 2018
Okoroawusa:

Na for only Nairaland u get power
Dogs like you should learn to keep other people's family out of Nairaland's discussions.
Re: Senate Vs Magu: Court Judgement Has No Effect - Sagay, Keyamo React by escodotman: 7:43pm On Feb 02, 2018
deomelllo:

If it is not your own personal constitution, then show us the part in the Nigerian constitution that says you can only nominate once or twice.
I'm not the one to show you, it is you who should dispute that you can't nominate more than twice. Show us the part of the constitution which says you can renominate multiple times.
Re: Senate Vs Magu: Court Judgement Has No Effect - Sagay, Keyamo React by edupedia: 8:04pm On Feb 02, 2018
Femistico:
How I wish 2019 can come faster. This Sagna or sagay whatever he's called need to sit his ass down and stop spewing thrash

...Keep deceiving yourself....you have only 2 regions versus 4...his do u want to beat Buhari...if u think NC will abandon North because of your herdsmen udeless nouses and give u their votes it shows u know nothing about Nigerian politics....keep dreaming!...

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Tinubu And Ambode At APC Stakeholders Meeting In Lagos / Revolution Now: 60 Arrested In Cross River, Lagos, Others — Sowore’s Lawyer / Uzodinma: Okorocha, Others Won't Go Unpunished Over N106Bn Misappropriated Fund

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.