Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,051 members, 7,821,619 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:51 PM

Don't Top-up Your Radiator With Water. Use Engine Coolant - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Don't Top-up Your Radiator With Water. Use Engine Coolant (18554 Views)

Help I Top My 2008 V6 Honda Accord's Radiator With Water Everyday / Honda Accord (EOD), Engine Coolant Sensor / When Is The Right Time To Remove And Wash Your Radiator? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Don't Top-up Your Radiator With Water. Use Engine Coolant by Nobody: 10:01am On Feb 04, 2018
Emmaco4:
nice one,I have learnt some things
Re: Don't Top-up Your Radiator With Water. Use Engine Coolant by engrelvis(m): 10:12am On Feb 04, 2018
OK.what is d best coolant for a range rover Jeep n freelander Rover jeep
Re: Don't Top-up Your Radiator With Water. Use Engine Coolant by rubyjan(f): 10:13am On Feb 04, 2018
Beautiful post. I'm actually on the right track then. My car came with a pink colour coolant and I ensured I got exactly that in the market and that is what I've been using.

I have never liked the use of water.

1 Like

Re: Don't Top-up Your Radiator With Water. Use Engine Coolant by peacettw: 10:15am On Feb 04, 2018
DukeNija:

Madam ‘you have tayed’ in this driving game o. 10 years shocked
Did your car overheat during this period? The first car

Yes but that's cos the radiator was faulty or so....the pipe was leaking so it was changed to a new one.
Re: Don't Top-up Your Radiator With Water. Use Engine Coolant by captainking(m): 11:07am On Feb 04, 2018
peacettw:
I filled my radiotor with water just now. cry
same here. Been using water for over 2 years
Re: Don't Top-up Your Radiator With Water. Use Engine Coolant by OKorowanta: 11:33am On Feb 04, 2018
Is it advisable to mix water with d coolant?
Lot of people o that a lot.
Re: Don't Top-up Your Radiator With Water. Use Engine Coolant by jc4real(m): 11:55am On Feb 04, 2018
shocked ook.Now I see why.I've not been using coolant for my legedez,no wonder my brain dey overheat. cry

4 Likes

Re: Don't Top-up Your Radiator With Water. Use Engine Coolant by Prudent5217: 12:20pm On Feb 04, 2018
Someone gave me this advice last year and the moment I started using coolant for my radiator I have never thought of using water again. Even the engine performance changed

1 Like

Re: Don't Top-up Your Radiator With Water. Use Engine Coolant by donqx: 12:50pm On Feb 04, 2018
thank you TBoss....I mean tomobile boss..
not the Ex bbnaija TBoss...I.e thotboss
Re: Don't Top-up Your Radiator With Water. Use Engine Coolant by 3kay945(m): 12:51pm On Feb 04, 2018
stefanweeks:
story

if u like buy brand new car na water go follow am come

Seriously?
Re: Don't Top-up Your Radiator With Water. Use Engine Coolant by Nobody: 1:30pm On Feb 04, 2018
DaudaAbu:
Pls what is the preferred brand of coolant for car engines.

Is it the Abro can type?

The one sold by Total?

Or that Ab rand...

Pl respond @Autojosh
@sooperrescue @GAZZUZZ
Re: Don't Top-up Your Radiator With Water. Use Engine Coolant by Nobody: 2:31pm On Feb 04, 2018
Rigel95:

Thanks.
On your ml320 I'd advise you to search for trac's post on the Mercedes Benz thread... There are certain dynamics you wouldn't wanna miss when a Benz is concerned.
Re: Don't Top-up Your Radiator With Water. Use Engine Coolant by Ursadorable: 2:43pm On Feb 04, 2018
Aside coolant always check your fan if its working as this can also cause overheating..Another major mistake is your mechanic might advice you to remove your thermostat please don't listen to him..
Re: Don't Top-up Your Radiator With Water. Use Engine Coolant by sulakishop(m): 2:45pm On Feb 04, 2018
Thanks OP, nairaland is improving. No more useless topics on the front page
Re: Don't Top-up Your Radiator With Water. Use Engine Coolant by miqos02(m): 9:02pm On Feb 04, 2018
aAK1:
And for all of you toping your coolant every now and then,you need to see your mechanic. My 206 will go for months without topping
what happens when Mecho has no solution?
Re: Don't Top-up Your Radiator With Water. Use Engine Coolant by aAK1(m): 9:28pm On Feb 04, 2018
miqos02:
what happens when Mecho has no solution?
keep looking till you fine one that dose. they cant all be incompetent
Re: Don't Top-up Your Radiator With Water. Use Engine Coolant by Nobody: 12:24am On Feb 05, 2018
Ursadorable:
Aside coolant always check your fan if its working as this can also cause overheating..Another major mistake is your mechanic might advice you to remove your thermostat please don't listen to him..
if u remove thermostat ur car will never overheat neither will the engine run on normal operation for vehicle to perform very well.
Re: Don't Top-up Your Radiator With Water. Use Engine Coolant by VolvoS60(m): 12:03pm On Oct 20, 2018
undecided

A lot of misinformation on this thread.

Most modern cars require coolant. It is recommended by the car makers themselves. As the OP said - coolant provides better protection than water if the vehicle overheats (since coolant has a higher boiling point than water) and it also inhibits corrosion (unlike ordinary water) in the radiator and water pump. Those people who say there's no point in using coolant should wait a while - it may take time but the day will surely come when the water pump will fail because of corrosion - or the radiator will develop leaks and fail for the same reason.

Those who had bad experiences with coolant should examine their experiences critically. First of all, not all coolants are the same - the quality of commercially available coolant, just like motor oil, varies considerably. Consult your owners manual for advice. If your car requires a non-silicate, non-borate coolant and you don't comply, things WILL go wrong. If you mix blue, orange, green, pink and red coolants - some of which have significantly different chemical properties, things WILL go wrong. It you dilute your coolant beyond the coolant manufacturer's recommended 50:50 de-ionized water/coolant ratio, things WILL go wrong. And so on.

The cooling system is a closed system and any drop in coolant levels should be investigated since the system is not designed for frequent top ups. Reasons for a drop in coolant levels could vary from faulty radiator/expansion tank cap covers to loose or poorly fitted radiator hose clamps. Once the cause of the leak is tracked and fixed, coolant levels remain stable for several years without any problems or a need to top up.

A little research and education goes a long way.

2 Likes

Re: Don't Top-up Your Radiator With Water. Use Engine Coolant by istephen(m): 9:15am On Oct 23, 2018
If you're going to use water, I recommend distilled water since it doesn't contain impurities.
Re: Don't Top-up Your Radiator With Water. Use Engine Coolant by rottenPussy: 2:01pm On Oct 23, 2018
yeyerolling:
Coolant kwa. I just pour water ydae. When i dey run go canada . i go post am here as neatly used car cheesy
lol, werey!!
Re: Don't Top-up Your Radiator With Water. Use Engine Coolant by timenamoney: 5:35pm On Jan 19, 2020
marylandcakes:
I do half and half, I pour water half way and fill it up with engine coolant, is this good?

Coolants comes in two ways

Premix : don't mix with water

Unpremix : mix 50% distilled water and coolant
Re: Don't Top-up Your Radiator With Water. Use Engine Coolant by timenamoney: 5:41pm On Jan 19, 2020
DaudaAbu:
Pls what is the preferred brand of coolant for car engines.

Is it the Abro can type?

The one sold by Total?

Or that Ab rand...

Pl respond @Autojosh

1, Abro us made quality √

2, total 9ja ,cheap quality unknown

3, e concern u

Re: Don't Top-up Your Radiator With Water. Use Engine Coolant by GoodnessB(f): 7:03am On Jan 20, 2020
This is what is recommended for Honda

Re: Don't Top-up Your Radiator With Water. Use Engine Coolant by jimmy74(m): 12:13pm On Jan 20, 2020
Dear Experts in the house,
What is the ideal running temperature of a car engine?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

All New Infiniti QX80 SUV Revealed Ahead Of New York Auto Show. / 6 Ways To Spot A Flood Damaged Car / Plate Number Theives: Check Your Plate Number Now

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.