Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,502 members, 7,819,823 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:19 AM

My Corolla Is Consuming Fuel - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / My Corolla Is Consuming Fuel (18842 Views)

My Corolla 2005 Is Consuming Fuel / Do This When Your Car Is Consuming Fuel / These Are 7 Possible Reasons Why Your Car Is Consuming Excess Fuel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Corolla Is Consuming Fuel by mayor2013: 10:45pm On Feb 12, 2018
Yes the thermostat can cause a high fuel consumption. Without the thermostat your ride would run in an open loop system which means she would be thirsty for fuel
Re: My Corolla Is Consuming Fuel by timifakay(m): 11:00pm On Feb 12, 2018
Absence of thermostat and fans running direct won't allow car to attain optimum temperature, therefore keeping RPM high in an attempt to attain optimum operation temperature which can will lead to high fuel consumption.
But don't just go installing thermostat, determine why it was removed to start with and have the radiator condition determined as it might need replacement before thermostat is reintroduced into system.
Re: My Corolla Is Consuming Fuel by Justbright(m): 11:05am On Feb 13, 2018
timifakay:
Absence of thermostat and fans running direct won't allow car to attain optimum temperature, therefore keeping RPM high in an attempt to attain optimum operation temperature which can will lead to high fuel consumption.
But don't just go installing thermostat, determine why it was removed to start with and have the radiator condition determined as it might need replacement before thermostat is reintroduced into system.
Thanks.....as for why d thermostat was removed in d first place,I can not say why it was removed cos I dnt buy d car as toks
Re: My Corolla Is Consuming Fuel by Justbright(m): 11:06am On Feb 13, 2018
[quote author=timifakay post=65016499]Absence of thermostat and fans running direct won't allow car to attain optimum temperature, therefore keeping RPM high in an attempt to attain optimum operation temperature which can will lead to high fuel consumption.

Thanks bross
Re: My Corolla Is Consuming Fuel by autologic: 12:15pm On Feb 13, 2018
Justbright:

Thanks.....as for why d thermostat was removed in d first place,I can not say why it was removed cos I dnt buy d car as toks
U need to take car for cooling system diagnostics test before reinstalling thermostat and connecting the fan to default to avoid waking the hidden overheating issue that u are not aware of.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Corolla Is Consuming Fuel by Ikenna351(m): 8:58pm On Feb 13, 2018
Justbright:

You don't need to know the reason why the engine cooling system thermostat was removed before reinstalling one. It's easier to to find out the reason when you reinstall one, for if truly the car over heated which led to the removal of thermostat, the issue will resurface and you properly diagnose and fix it. Without thermostat, engine will not run hot enough to prove how good the cooling system components are.

95% of Nigerians remove their engine cooling system thermostat not because their vehicles were/are overheating, but because of fear it could or would do, considering the crappy belief that Nigeria is the closest country to Sun. Some don't even understand their vehicle coolant temperature gauges and would assume their cars were overheating when they are not.

Reinstalling engine coolant thermostat when found absent is a must to me when people bring their lions to me to diagnose high fuel consumption issues or they take their lions back and find who can continue the abuse for them. They always have that choice, just like i have.

Ikenna351, Lion King.

7 Likes

Re: My Corolla Is Consuming Fuel by Justbright(m): 11:36pm On Feb 13, 2018
[quote author=Ikenna351 post=65042116]

You don't need to know the reason why the engine cooling system thermostat was removed before reinstalling one. It's easier to to find out the reason when you reinstall one, for if truly the car over heated which led to the removal of thermostat, the issue will resurface and you properly diagnose and fix it. Without thermostat, engine will not run hot enough to prove how good the cooling system components are.

95% of Nigerians remove their engine cooling system thermostat not because their vehicles were/are overheating, but because of fear it could or would do, considering the crappy belief that Nigeria is the closest country to Sun. Some don't even understand their vehicle coolant temperature gauges and would assume their cars were overheating when they are not.

Reinstalling engine coolant thermostat when found absent is a must to me when people bring their lions to me to diagnose high fuel consumption issues or they take their lions back and find who can continue the abuse for them. They always have that choice, just like i have.

Ikenna351, Lion King.
Thanks...pls hw much can I get d thermostat for 06 corolla...my mechanic is charting me 15k
Re: My Corolla Is Consuming Fuel by Justbright(m): 10:02pm On Feb 14, 2018
[quote author=Justbright post=65045998][/quote]

Pls hw much is thermostat for corolla 06
Re: My Corolla Is Consuming Fuel by jarkbauer: 8:18am On Feb 15, 2018
less than N2000

1 Like

Re: My Corolla Is Consuming Fuel by johnsnow2018: 9:26am On Feb 15, 2018
Ikenna351:

Ikenna351, Lion King.

waiting for the issue to resurface again might be a disaster.
imagine losing an engine to over heating or burnt head gasket.
almost lost my engine to overheating 2 years back but my mechanic return it back to a better life.
I am not in support of removing thermostat but it has work for me for 2 years now and no regrets till date.
The fear of overheating will never allow me to install it back.

1 Like

Re: My Corolla Is Consuming Fuel by Justbright(m): 12:10pm On Feb 15, 2018
[quote author=johnsnow2018 post=65081839]

almost lost my engine to overheating 2 years back but my mechanic return it back to a better life.
I am not in support of removing thermostat but it has work for me for 2 years now and no regrets till date.
How was ur fuel consumptions wen u removed d thermostat sir?
Re: My Corolla Is Consuming Fuel by Nobody: 12:26pm On Feb 15, 2018
please do u have any trusted hands here in enugu that can fix my thermostat back.

Ikenna351:

Ikenna351, Lion King.
Re: My Corolla Is Consuming Fuel by johnsnow2018: 2:03pm On Feb 15, 2018
[quote author=Justbright post=65085766][/quote]
my fuel consumption remain intact and I have peace of mind.
Re: My Corolla Is Consuming Fuel by autologic: 7:56pm On Feb 15, 2018
johnsnow2018:

1 Like

Re: My Corolla Is Consuming Fuel by obekediamondfuto(m): 4:09am On Feb 16, 2018
all I see is golden 15k thermostat! hope the thermostat comes with 5ltrs of Mobil 1

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Corolla Is Consuming Fuel by nams77: 7:07am On Feb 16, 2018
obekediamondfuto:
all I see is golden 15k thermostat! hope the thermostat comes with 5ltrs of Mobil 1
Bad bros grin...Golden thermostat, you will not keel somebodi grin. Some mechanic fit send person go village
Re: My Corolla Is Consuming Fuel by nams77: 7:11am On Feb 16, 2018
johnsnow2018:

So d oyinbo people wey put d thermostat there in d first place no get sense abi? Na ur mechanic be Albert Einstein ABI? Dey follow ur mechanic, no problem
Re: My Corolla Is Consuming Fuel by johnsnow2018: 4:22pm On Feb 16, 2018
autologic:

it Will cost me zero kobo to return the thermostats however there is not side effect after 2 years and my fuel consumption is still making sense....2.2 engine to be precise.
don't always follow what oyinbo say....stick with whatever work for u...

2 Likes

Re: My Corolla Is Consuming Fuel by johnsnow2018: 4:25pm On Feb 16, 2018
nams77:

So d oyinbo people wey put d thermostat there in d first place no get sense abi? Na ur mechanic be Albert Einstein ABI? Dey follow ur mechanic, no problem

like I always say...stick to what work for you...
I will not call oyinbo if my car start overheating.
for now peace of mind continue.
Re: My Corolla Is Consuming Fuel by Justbright(m): 6:27pm On Feb 16, 2018
obekediamondfuto:

I tire oooo
Re: My Corolla Is Consuming Fuel by Justbright(m): 2:20am On Feb 25, 2018
Hello guyz,got my thermostat installed back today...immediately I drove off d mechanic village ,d temperature stared to rise...had to turn back to meet my mechanic, den he checked d its ,added more water and coolant,since den d temperature guage has been in d middle....from to d filling station,filled up my tank.. Reset d odometer to zero to start counting so as to monitor if my fuel consumption will be affected positively by d installation of the thermostat...
Will keep u guyz updated
Re: My Corolla Is Consuming Fuel by erico2k2(m): 2:53am On Feb 25, 2018
[quote author=Justbright post=65085766][/quote]
Let me ask you these
1 WHy do you think your car will overheat
2 Is Nigeria hotter than the UAE and part of the USA? is Arizonal and frisco?
Re: My Corolla Is Consuming Fuel by erico2k2(m): 2:55am On Feb 25, 2018
johnsnow2018:

it Will cost me zero kobo to return the thermostats however there is not side effect after 2 years and my fuel consumption is still making sense....2.2 engine to be precise.
your fuel consumption is on teh high side, you just dont know it yet
Re: My Corolla Is Consuming Fuel by Gboliwe: 1:06pm On Feb 25, 2018
Justbright:
Hello guyz,got my thermostat installed back today...immediately I drove off d mechanic village ,d temperature stared to rise...had to turn back to meet my mechanic, den he checked d its ,added more water and coolant,since den d temperature guage has been in d middle....from to d filling station,filled up my tank.. Reset d odometer to zero to start counting so as to monitor if my fuel consumption will be affected positively by d installation of the thermostat...
Will keep u guyz updated

There isthis an underlying fault with the system that's why the thermostat was removed initially. Was this issue noticed by your mechanic? Was it fixed? I wish you have solved this issue, but its too early to see.

How much did you eventually buy the thermostat?
Re: My Corolla Is Consuming Fuel by obekediamondfuto(m): 2:12pm On Feb 25, 2018
Gboliwe:

There isthis an underlying fault with the system that's why the thermostat was removed initially. Was this issue noticed by your mechanic? Was it fixed? I wish you have solved this issue, but its too early to see.

not necessarily, Nigerians now remove the thermostat from the port/ wharf! they dont wait for it to overheat sef.... lack of knowledge is the root of all wrong decisions/ actions! Arizona in summer is way hotter than any part of Nigeria.... sometimes it gets above 40°C

2 Likes

Re: My Corolla Is Consuming Fuel by Alvin007: 11:22pm On Feb 25, 2018
Dear Op, the 5k you paid for auto diagnosis could’ve gotten you at least a Bluetooth obd2 scanner..Endeavor to get a personal scanner. Cheers!

5 Likes

Re: My Corolla Is Consuming Fuel by Justbright(m): 12:21am On Feb 26, 2018
Alvin007:
Dear Op, the 5k you paid for auto diagnosis could’ve gotten you at least a Bluetooth obd2 scanner..Endeavor to get a personal scanner. Cheers!

U are right....BT I learnt,dose small small odb has limitations as to hw far dey can go in terms of diagnoses
Re: My Corolla Is Consuming Fuel by Justbright(m): 12:22am On Feb 26, 2018
Gboliwe:

Bought d thermostat for 4k
Re: My Corolla Is Consuming Fuel by J0hnTrevolt(m): 7:35am On Feb 26, 2018
Justbright:

Bought d thermostat for 4k
is the fuel consumption back to normal?
Re: My Corolla Is Consuming Fuel by Justbright(m): 7:38pm On Feb 26, 2018
J0hnTrevolt:
is the fuel consumption back to normal?

Its not oooo....after installing d thermostat, d rewire could not locate d point where d fan was connected directly...so d fan is still running directly...he asked me to bring it back on Wednesday....

He said as long as d fan is still running directly Dat d thermostat wnt av any effect
Re: My Corolla Is Consuming Fuel by Ikenna351(m): 5:37pm On Mar 01, 2018
johnsnow2018:

johnsnow2018:

A average Nigerian would tell you the norm "I have driven this my car for years without issues" , but my experience from inspecting Lions for clients for purchase and diagnosing people's lions is opposite of that norm. I have seen cars spitting engine oil all over the engine bay, spraying different degree of blue colour from exhaust, running & sounding like a Tractor, etc, yet the owners/sellers would claim "No issues". The problem is the definition of "Issues" to majority of Nigerians , but it appears as long as a car can start, every other malfunction the car exhibit is not considered an issue . For heaven sake, even Man that produces Cars breaks down once in awhile and you are claiming a used car produced by the mortal being can't do the same? Even the abused ones?

I am advocate of "Do what works for you". However, I would advice anyone who cares to listen to avoid buying that car off you, in case you want to sell tomorrow, unless the person 2nd name is a nightmare or wouldn't mind buying headache. Reason people pay me to get Lions in good condition for them to purchase is not because they like (some actually don't like me), but they pay for my arsehole attitude (not caring about the sellers feelings), to get the true condition of the lions & buy or not to buy.

By the way, overheating doesn't ruin an engine or burn head gasket, it's when a driver ignores & continue to run or drive a vehicle with the overheating warning signs, words or sounds to the driver from the vehicle that causes the disaster.

Ikenna351, Lion King.

3 Likes

Re: My Corolla Is Consuming Fuel by Justbright(m): 3:25pm On Mar 02, 2018
Ikenna351:

A average Nigerian would tell you the norm "I have driven this my car for years without issues" , but my experience from inspecting Lions for clients for purchase and diagnosing people's lions is opposite of that norm. I have seen cars spitting engine oil all over the engine bay, spraying different degree of blue colour from exhaust, running & sounding like a Tractor, etc, yet the owners/sellers would claim "No issues". The problem is the definition of "Issues" to majority of Nigerians , but it appears as long as a car can start, every other malfunction the car exhibit is not considered an issue . For heaven sake, even Man that produces Cars breaks down once in awhile and you are claiming a used car produced by the mortal being can't do the same? Even the abused ones?

I am advocate of "Do what works for you". However, I would advice anyone who cares to listen to avoid buying that car off you, in case you want to sell tomorrow, unless the person 2nd name is a nightmare or wouldn't mind buying headache. Reason people pay me to get Lions in good condition for them to purchase is not because they like (some actually don't like me), but they pay for my arsehole attitude (not caring about the sellers feelings), to get the true condition of the lions & buy or not to buy.

By the way, overheating doesn't ruin an engine or burn head gasket, it's when a driver ignores & continue to run or drive a vehicle with the overheating warning signs, words or sounds to the driver from the vehicle that causes the disaster.

Ikenna351, Lion King.

Well said bro...I have replaced d thermostat,d fan has been returned to it factory state,which is to start blowing wen hot coolant get into d radiator.....d check engine light is off..am now monitoring d fuel consumption....

Though d catalyst is still yet to be replaced

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

6 Types Of Nigerian Drivers / Which Car Is The Most Stolen In Nigeria? / 5 Reasons Why Car Insurance Is Better Than Car Tracker

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.