Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,488 members, 7,819,765 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:46 PM

My Corolla Is Consuming Fuel - Car Talk (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / My Corolla Is Consuming Fuel (18839 Views)

My Corolla 2005 Is Consuming Fuel / Do This When Your Car Is Consuming Fuel / These Are 7 Possible Reasons Why Your Car Is Consuming Excess Fuel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Corolla Is Consuming Fuel by double0seven(m): 11:06am On Mar 12, 2018
Nor sure of price because I don't use a corrola, but the meachnic who told u that that catalyt for the car is 100k is a big thief.

Personally I doubt your catalyt can be more than 10k, but at the every worst, 15k.then look for a good panel that knows how to install it properly.
Re: My Corolla Is Consuming Fuel by Justbright(m): 5:30pm On Mar 12, 2018
double0seven:
Nor sure of price because I don't use a corrola, but the meachnic who told u that that catalyt for the car is 100k is a big thief.

Personally I doubt your catalyt can be more than 10k, but at the every worst, 15k.then look for a good panel that knows how to install it properly.

I will do just back and update u guyz on d situation....I really appreciate everyone Dat has really helped me one way or d other on dis issue...God bless u
Re: My Corolla Is Consuming Fuel by autologic: 9:08pm On Mar 12, 2018
double0seven:

15k catalyst is surely a made- in- ladipo catalysts
You are looking for trouble for your engine using that kind of catalyst.
Re: My Corolla Is Consuming Fuel by autologic: 9:11pm On Mar 12, 2018
Justbright:

Yes u are right sir..most guyz in my place of work uses dis same type of car,so also my younger bro...non of dem has ever complained of low mpg....will get d catalyst fixed as soon as I have d means.....

Pls can anyone help me wt d price idea so mechanic wnt take advantage of my desperation to fix d car
Budget 50-70k
Re: My Corolla Is Consuming Fuel by Justbright(m): 2:16am On Mar 15, 2018
autologic:

Budget 50-70k

My mechanic said it will cost me 35k...what do u think guyz

1 Like

Re: My Corolla Is Consuming Fuel by globalresource: 1:46pm On Jul 31, 2018
Hello

1 Like

Re: My Corolla Is Consuming Fuel by erico2k2(m): 5:53pm On Jul 31, 2018
Justbright:

My mechanic said it will cost me 35k...what do u think guyz
Brand new?
Re: My Corolla Is Consuming Fuel by Danenergy: 7:46pm On Dec 14, 2019
Good day bro...how did you finally resolve the high fuel consumption on ur Corolla
Re: My Corolla Is Consuming Fuel by BarrSly: 1:40pm On Dec 15, 2019
Bro did you ever resolve the fuel issue
Re: My Corolla Is Consuming Fuel by sheu01: 9:10am On Dec 16, 2019
@ Justbright, Have u resolved the issue of fuel consumption after purchase of catalyst
Re: My Corolla Is Consuming Fuel by anyibig: 7:45pm On May 17, 2020
Good day house, please I bought a tokubo 2003 toyota corolla, I filled the tank last week and reset my trip to 0, it's now on half tank and I've covered 81.7 miles which is approximately 131km. Please house, is the fuel consumption OK or do my car gulp fuel? Also I do more of city driving.
Re: My Corolla Is Consuming Fuel by DEXTROVERT: 8:51pm On May 17, 2020
anyibig:
Good day house, please I bought a tokubo 2003 toyota corolla, I filled the tank last week and reset my trip to 0, it's now on half tank and I've covered 81.7 miles which is approximately 131km. Please house, is the fuel consumption OK or do my car gulp fuel? Also I do more of city driving.

Anytime I do full tank, I travel 130km before it start to come below the uppermost thick mark
Re: My Corolla Is Consuming Fuel by anyibig: 10:17pm On May 17, 2020
DEXTROVERT:

Anytime I do full tank, I travel 130km before it start to come below the uppermost thick mark

Thank you, please what can I do to resolve this issue?

1 Like

Re: My Corolla Is Consuming Fuel by anyibig: 10:19pm On May 17, 2020
I don't have check engine light on my dashboard, no warning light at all too
Re: My Corolla Is Consuming Fuel by Twob: 11:09am On May 18, 2020
Justbright:
D rate at which my car consume fuel is alarming...I noticed d check engine light is on. Just last week I bough a 34litres fuel for 5k and I reset d odometer trip A to zero...as of dis moni av just drove about 110k and d fuel guage is around quarter tank..
Worried,I complained to my mechanic,took me to a guy Dat diagnoze d car and he asked d mechanic to clean d spark plug,which he did and d CEL disappeared only to show up 3days after....
I returned back to d mechanic village and complained ,d mechanic serviced d injectors,washed d fuel pump casings still nothing...den later he checked d silencer and told me d catalyst have been removed....I seriously need professional advice cos d cost of fueling dis car is affecting me greatly....pls help a brother

It either your Thermostat is faulty (stuck open and not allow the engine to reach its optimum operating temperature) or the Coolant temperature sensor is faulty too (u can confirm this with multimeter, its ohms reading should change with temperature, if not, the sensor is bad)

Besides, these suggested solutions are based on your said Diagnostic Troubleshooting Code P0128.
Re: My Corolla Is Consuming Fuel by dicksonadams(m): 4:43pm On May 18, 2020
Ikenna351:

You don't need to know the reason why the engine cooling system thermostat was removed before reinstalling one. It's easier to to find out the reason when you reinstall one, for if truly the car over heated which led to the removal of thermostat, the issue will resurface and you properly diagnose and fix it. Without thermostat, engine will not run hot enough to prove how good the cooling system components are.

95% of Nigerians remove their engine cooling system thermostat not because their vehicles were/are overheating, but because of fear it could or would do, considering the crappy belief that Nigeria is the closest country to Sun. Some don't even understand their vehicle coolant temperature gauges and would assume their cars were overheating when they are not.

Reinstalling engine coolant thermostat when found absent is a must to me when people bring their lions to me to diagnose high fuel consumption issues or they take their lions back and find who can continue the abuse for them. They always have that choice, just like i have.

Ikenna351, Lion King.

I respect this guy
Re: My Corolla Is Consuming Fuel by eherbal(m): 11:29am On May 19, 2020
anyibig:
I don't have check engine light on my dashboard, no warning light at all too
do a tune up bro or drp ur watsapp
Re: My Corolla Is Consuming Fuel by osato45: 7:51pm On May 19, 2020
Help my 2006 honda accord v6 averages btw 170-200 miles within city drive after every fill up. I am tired of it guzzling fuel
Re: My Corolla Is Consuming Fuel by dicksonadams(m): 5:36am On May 20, 2020
osato45:
Help my 2006 honda accord v6 averages btw 170-200 miles within city drive after every fill up. I am tired of it guzzling fuel

Check if catalyst is missing
Re: My Corolla Is Consuming Fuel by emy77: 6:37am On May 20, 2020
I use the same car, a 2007 honda accord v6. Honestly this has nothing to do with presence or absence of catalyst as I removed mine when I found out they were blocked and were about to damage my engine

From full tank, I usually do abt 150-170miles when I get to the half tank mark and 270-280miles by empty. All this within the city and with ac.

Change yr plugs to the correct grade, check if yr cooling system is factory spec, and use the right oil grade. Thank me later

1 Like

Re: My Corolla Is Consuming Fuel by udemzyudex(m): 7:32am On May 20, 2020
johnsnow2018:

it Will cost me zero kobo to return the thermostats however there is not side effect after 2 years and my fuel consumption is still making sense....2.2 engine to be precise.
don't always follow what oyinbo say....stick with whatever work for u...

No wonder una dey always fear to buy some Nigerian used vehicle but una go rush to buy Tokunbo.
Re: My Corolla Is Consuming Fuel by osato45: 10:17am On May 20, 2020
emy77:
I use the same car, a 2007 honda accord v6. Honestly this has nothing to do with presence or absence of catalyst as I removed mine when I found out they were blocked and were about to damage my engine

From full tank, I usually do abt 150-170miles when I get to the half tank mark and 270-280miles by empty. All this within the city and with ac.

Change yr plugs to the correct grade, check if yr cooling system is factory spec, and use the right oil grade. Thank me later
wow that's impressive, from inception I use the right oil grade 5w20. No doubt I will have to change my plugs immediately, but my cooling system is factory spec except for the fact i had to change the radiator since it was leaking, I also drive with ac too. Is it that you encounter less traffic in your city thats why your mpg is good?
Re: My Corolla Is Consuming Fuel by emy77: 11:08pm On May 20, 2020
I drive in Lagos, headquarters of traffic.

Just buy platinum iridium plugs brand new, and make sure your fans come on and off as manufacturer intended

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Corolla Is Consuming Fuel by osato45: 6:40am On May 21, 2020
emy77:

Just buy platinum iridium plugs brand new, and make sure your fans come on and off as manufacturer intended
I have ordered six plugs from @luvinghubby on nairaland, he is a honda parts dealer in lagos, yes my fans come on and goes off right from the onset, i have never had any over heating issues. Thanks
Re: My Corolla Is Consuming Fuel by emy77: 11:29am On May 23, 2020
Please update the house on how it goes
Re: My Corolla Is Consuming Fuel by osato45: 5:42am On Jun 01, 2020
I replaced my plugs (apparently they were gone) with NGK IR plugs last week. I am still observing my mpg to see if there would be any improvement

Re: My Corolla Is Consuming Fuel by osato45: 6:57am On Jun 03, 2020
emy77:

despite changing to brand new ngk iridium plugs last week, i still average 100-125 miles from full tank to half way line.

My check light only came on because my fuel pump went bad after replacing it, the check light disappeared.

I feel this is the best I can get from the ride, as i read someone's 2016 thread here, of his dc averaging 100 - 125 miles from full to half tank and his car was an i4 not a v6 like mine.

I provided the link so you could read through and see: https://www.nairaland.com/3388593/honda-accord-2006-gulps-fuel

Going forward, i intend to reduce the force with which I accelerate, as i learnt it causes the car to burn more fuel.
Re: My Corolla Is Consuming Fuel by alkadriyar(m): 6:54pm On Jun 06, 2020
DEXTROVERT:

Is it on highway or with city combined?
And please what's your average MPG?
Mine does 28MPG on average without A/C.
Re: My Corolla Is Consuming Fuel by sheu01: 3:43pm On Jun 07, 2020
anyibig:

@ Anyibig, Have u resolved d problem
Re: My Corolla Is Consuming Fuel by anyibig: 2:38pm On Jun 29, 2020
sheu01:

@ Anyibig, Have u resolved d problem
Oohh yes... Sorry for the late reply, turns out the fuel I bought from Nnpc in okota Road lagos was rubbish, had to fill my tank again in petrocam again and I got 260miles when the fuel gauge was on empty. My friend said I can still drive it for another 10miles or so, but I don't want to risk damaging my fuel pump by avoiding it pumping dirts from the fuel tank. Also I fill my tank from E-F with ₦6,000 which is like 50ltrs of fuel. Don't know if that's a good fuel economy or I should be worried��
Re: My Corolla Is Consuming Fuel by anyibig: 2:44pm On Jun 29, 2020
Also I changed my oil and oil filter, I used the recommended 5w-30 full synthetic and also cleaned my engine air filter and cabin air filter. I also have my mechanic check my plugs and he said nothing is wronged with it, Infact it's still new, he just cleaned it and put it back.
Re: My Corolla Is Consuming Fuel by eherbal(m): 6:37pm On Jun 29, 2020
alkadriyar:

Is it on highway or with city combined?
And please what's your average MPG?
Mine does 28MPG on average without A/C.
at 28mpg,you're doing well.thats over 60 miles on 10 litres,which equals 100km

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Would You Pay ₦3.4m To Convert Your Petrol Powered Car Into An Electric Car? / 6 Types Of Nigerian Drivers / Which Car Is The Most Stolen In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.