Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,286 members, 7,818,968 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:11 AM

Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? - Sports (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? (26602 Views)

Queen Asisat Oshoala Crowned Bbc Women Footballer Of The Year / 9 Most Overrated Players In World Football Right Now / Is Victor Moses Overrated? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by Hugoboi(m): 3:08pm On Mar 13, 2007
gave a particular example going back to 1998 when Owen was compared to PELE.In that sense he was being overrated in respect of his abillities.

@ 4play

Where di u get that from?this must be a figment of ur busted imagination
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by akx(m): 5:23pm On Mar 13, 2007
Who says Messi is overated. Did you watch barca's last match against real madrid? The "overrated" messi scored a hattrick to save barca's ass.
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by mykali(m): 5:52pm On Mar 13, 2007
well, i can say, Rooney is a little overrated,
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by femfist(m): 8:16pm On Mar 13, 2007
surely most of you nothing about football
most of the names you guys post are just outrageous
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by femfist(m): 8:29pm On Mar 13, 2007
most English players are certainly over rated but that doesn't mean most of those that play in England are overrated
[color=#990000][/color][b][/b][i][/i]
OVERATED
carrick
mikel
shaun wright-philips

sometimes overrated
rooney
drogba
fabregas

not overrated
c. ronaldo
messi

really did not like drogba but one cannot deny the fact that rite now he is just to good
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by otoidea(m): 10:03am On Mar 14, 2007
david becham
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by dblock(m): 12:38pm On Mar 14, 2007
Drogba and Beckham
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by slimghost(m): 1:29pm On Mar 14, 2007
its should be between Drogba,Beckham and Cech. they still have much to prove.
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by Christino(m): 11:53pm On Mar 14, 2007
Cech much to prove? shocked

I think i'm done with this thread cheesy
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by lalaboi(m): 11:58pm On Mar 14, 2007
slimghost:

its should be between Drogba,Beckham and Cech. they still have much to prove.

guy dm fit slap u if u wit dat cech wey u mention! ahan!
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by Christino(m): 12:11am On Mar 15, 2007
I don't know where dude was when Cech kept his net clean for plenty of hours consecutively (at the national level)

@ 4Play,

Thanks for that Analysis on Owen. I hate to compare a 21st century striker with a 20th century one, moreover decades apart. Owen is one of the paciest strikers i've ever seen. I'm not comparing him with Pele cos there is no basis for that but Owen is one of the players i respect a whole lot.

His last season @ madrid was termed disappointing yet he netted 16 goals in 25 games, mostly coming on as a sub. I won't say he's overrated, but for the swapping of morientes and some change here and there, I don't think he's been overrated money-wise either.
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by 4Play(m): 2:23am On Mar 15, 2007
@Christino

I don't think at the moment,Owen is overrated.If anything,he is now underrated and the references you made to his time at Madrid,illustrate that.

However,shortly after the World Cup in 1998,he certainly was .For a brief period the English media was going overboard in praising him and in some instances comparing him to Pele .I remember when he scored a hatrick against Newcastle in Liverpool's 4-1 win at St James,the Times headline was "All On His Owen".

In some ways he was a better player then than now cos his recurrent hamstring injuries had not started.Then he was full of pace and running.Now he is a much more intelligent striker and a fox in the box kind of striker.

There was some debate in his first season(97/98) as to whether his best role was as a striker or a winger because of his pace.I don't think he has fully fufilled his potential but he is still one of the best strikers of his generation .
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by Nobody: 2:31am On Mar 15, 2007
Man, I remember was Owen was the MAN. Believe me man, he lived up to the hype back then. Who can forget the FA Cup final where he brought Liverpool back vs. Arsenal?I wonder why Owen ever left Liverpool. . .Owen/Martins, that will be some speedy frontline man!

@4play

Just because one commentator referred to Owen as the next Pele does not imply that's what most people thought. Owen was quite good that time, I don't think he was ever overrated man!
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by dayokanu(m): 7:51am On Mar 15, 2007
Why is this generating so much argument me thinks its very straightforward between David Beckham and Denilson(Real Betis)

For some names I think , or how can messi , Ronaldinho, C.ROnaldo soonwe would be mentioning Zidane, FIgo, Ronaldo Maradona and Pele
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by Nobody: 1:37pm On Mar 15, 2007
ronaldinho

Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by chuckdee4(m): 3:49pm On Mar 15, 2007
Now if ur looking for over-rated Totti, Gillardinho, Toni, Inzaghi (Both crap brothers) are ur men, everyone goes on about how English players r overated but they seem to forget Italian players, Totti might be a bit harsh but these 3 constatntly go missing when the chips r down.

Messi, Fabregas n Ronaldo are so not overrated, Ronney possibly is but these guys r young so gut them some slack
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by bolaoni(m): 3:51pm On Mar 15, 2007
@ all,

Owen OVER JUSTIFIED the hype around him after the '98 World Cup!

This culminated in the treble he won with Liverpool in 2001 or so. Owen
is a GREAT player but unfortunately he made a wrong move to Madrid and
injury became his lot afterwards and he has NEVER being the same again sad

How I wish he NEVER left for Madrid and it was the same year Liverpool won
the Champions League. He must have cursed the day he took the decision to
leave Anfield.
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by abstarr(m): 4:00pm On Mar 15, 2007
I dont agree that fabregas is overrated. how much did it cost arsenal to get him, compared to what he's delivering? Y'all seem to forget that he is leadin the premiership wit 10 assists rite now, followed by rooney. The diff is fabregas is on the pitch to do just that (distribute and keep the game flowing), while rooney is meant to be scoring!!!! I think rooney is jus a tad-bit over rated.

But my all-time over rated player is the 21st century becks!!! (he was a gud player up until 1999)
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by sage(m): 7:49pm On Mar 15, 2007
chuckdee4:

Now if your looking for over-rated Totti, Gillardinho, Toni, Inzaghi (Both crap brothers) are your men, everyone goes on about how English players r overated but they seem to forget Italian players, Totti might be a bit harsh but these 3 constatntly go missing when the chips r down.

Messi, Fabregas n Ronaldo are so not overrated, Ronney possibly is but these guys r young so gut them some slack

Guy you must be smoking something.

Did you watch Euro 2000 at all. Totti overrated. Kai. More than 150 Seria A goals? .

Inzaghi-i dont think he was ever overated. If u score close to 180 goals in Seria A and some 40 champions league goals. Overrated. Thats more than any English forward that i know EVER

Gilardino stil hass enough time to prove himself and Toni was a late bloomer.

All in all mainly English players are overated grin cheesy
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by 4Play(m): 7:57pm On Mar 15, 2007
Totti is the best playmaker we have seen in the Serie A(even better than Zidane) since R.Baggio.

He is underrated and is one of the best players of his generation
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by Cyclone5(m): 7:57pm On Mar 15, 2007
I think Lampard (Chelsea) and Gilberto Silva (Arsenal) are vastly over rated.

Granted Lampard has a good shot on him and gets goal but he is one dimensional and couldn't go past a 3 wheeler on the motorway.  tongue

What can I say about Gilberto; cant tackle, cant run, can barely pass, and really just has no game.  shocked
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by otoidea(m): 3:06am On Mar 16, 2007
Cyclone5:

I think Lampard (Chelsea) and Gilberto Silva (Arsenal) are vastly over rated.

Granted Lampard has a good shot on him and gets goal but he is one dimensional and couldn't go past a 3 wheeler on the motorway. tongue

What can I say about Gilberto; can't tackle, can't run, can barely pass, and really just has no game. shocked
are u sure its not back of the TV ure watchn? wink

cs those 2 players are the backbones of their various teams midfield
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by Cyclone5(m): 10:18am On Mar 16, 2007
otoidea:

And have you watched thier teams play recently. The issue here is being over-rated.

I conceded that Lampard is a good goal scorer. But can you tell me anything else he is outstanding at, given that he's not a striker. The WC should have taught you something.

As for Gilberto Silva, it was Viera who saved his blushes when he was at Arsenal. But since you say he is the team's backbone it's no wonder they are struggling.
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by 1forall: 10:25am On Mar 16, 2007
are u sure its not back of the TV ure watchn?  wink

Now that was funny, lol, neeeeeext!
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by abstarr(m): 10:47am On Mar 16, 2007
otoidea:

Gilberto Silva has never (and I repeat) NEVER been over-rated. can u tell me anytime where a headline read boldy "GILBERTO THE SAVIOUR!!!"?? The truth is no one has ever labeled him as arsenal's saviour so dont crucify him!! he's a performer by his standards any day. One of those kinda players that do their work in stealth mode effectively. u dont see what he's doin but u'll notice that something is missing wen he's not there. anyone remember wot makalele used to do for real madrid All the figos and the rauls got all the glory but it turns out that makalele was the backbone of that midfield!! No one knew till he left.

Anyone that says lamps is over-rated is almost going mad!!! And pls dont use his performance at the WC to judge. simply because it is a well known fact u cant hav 2 midfield generals on the same team at the same time. One has to take control else they'll cancel themselves out. thats wot happens wen u hav lampard and gerrard in the midfield for england. and that is y lamps is not really as effective as last season (because of ballack arrival).

Pls get ur facts straight!!!!!
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by sage(m): 10:34pm On Mar 16, 2007
4 Play:

Totti is the best playmaker we have seen in the Serie A(even better than Zidane) since R.Baggio.

He is underrated and is one of the best players of his generation

Your so right

Yeah Totti is one of the best players of this generation (i bet the premiership brigade that had no idea would disagree)

When he and Zidane played in Seria A, i would pick Totti ahead of Zidane. Nothing like him had appeared in the Seria A since Baggio
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by star01(m): 10:35pm On Mar 16, 2007
chalie ARMINTON scored 5 goals winthin 2 mins
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by dayokanu(m): 10:54pm On Mar 16, 2007
Inzaghi was a dependable goal scorer in his days and was once highest goal scorer in serie A, Totti is a very good player (though not better than Zidane) his refusal to leave Roma has taken a lot off his stock value, Toni not overrated. But Gilardino, I am not too sure the guy is very close to crap n remember that dive against CEltic in the 1st leg? He ran for 5 meter b4 falling and got a card for it how many goals does he have in the UCL a Milan striker for that matter.
Can anybody remind me of when Rooney last scored in UCL?

Lamp is n that overrated though he is not as good as Gerrards socks, he had a terrible world cup.Anytime he aims s shot at goal spectators behind the goal take cover because they all know that they are the target of his wayward attempt 38 shot no goal.
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by Christino(m): 11:52pm On Mar 16, 2007
I can't define Toni's class, I hardly heard anything about dude until last season. He's a late starter. I won't say Totti is better than Zidane, Totti to Roma is What Baraja is to Valencia and Maldini is to Milan and lately, what Torres is to Athletico. When a player sticks with a club for so long he becomes heavily associated to such. Totti is one of the finest players in Italy but I do not think he is underrated. Maybe of course because we do not speak Italian. I'm sure the media would be all over his balls back home in Italy. The Gazetta should say a word or two about him week in week out.

Totti is a player of class and so is Lampard. I don't think anyone would doubt Gerrard's class even though this season has been sorta disappointing for him. Rooney has a few more years to establish his class. That Ronaldo is netting more goals means a lot to him, though he, rooney is assisting more (i love players who assist) wink

My only problem is that early starters peak out so soon. You'll begin to wonder what's wrong with Luiz Ronaldo at this stage. Even Raul Gonzalez is no longer the man he used to be, he started so early too. Okocha, Kanu and Oliseh are examples of good starters who peaked out when they were needed most.

When you look at the records of players like Scholes, Pires, Van Der Vaart,Nedved, Gerrard and host of great Attacking Midfielders, most of them were averagely rated.

But please, the poaching divemaster was never overrated, Inzaghi was and is still a player of class anyday. Anyone thinking Crespo was ever overrated should please resign from the sports thread.

And as for the WC, please many players played below par at the wc, Ronaldinho inclusive.And Ballack's arrival had nothing to do with Lamp's misfiring. In actual fact Lamps has contributed more than any midfielder in chelsea this season (of course behind Essien) His 11 prem goals and 9 prem assists are there for the records this season. Maybe someone needs to be reminded that Lampard has actually scored 27 goals this season including 2 goals for England. And as for Gilberto, he has never been overrated. If he had we should be seeing his name on transfer sagas and headlines, and also stuffs about his private life. To the best of my knowledge, the media are uninterested regarding what's even happening to him, so whatz d fuss about? smiley
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by bolaoni(m): 3:04am On Mar 17, 2007
Christino:

My only problem is that early starters peak out so soon. You'll begin to wonder what's wrong with Luiz Ronaldo at this stage. Even Raul Gonzalez is no longer the man he used to be, he started so early too. Okocha, Kanu and Oliseh are examples of good starters who peaked out when they were needed most.

Xti, me think all those you mentioned above have paid their dues in the world of footie.

Ronaldo has been on the stage for over 14 years, so also is Raul. Okocha, Kanu and Oliseh
also belong to the same era.

So what do you expect of them today? To still be the players they were 10 years ago? How
many of their peers are even worth the mention today?

It is true they started early, but it wasn't two years ago they started my guy. cool
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by chuckdee4(m): 3:45am On Mar 17, 2007
So Lampard and any other English player doing well in the premiership is overated, whats the difference between them and Totti, Totti can be class on his day (in Serie A) but on an international level he's been crap, World Cup 2002, 2006 he was non existent, what effect did he have on Italy when they won the world cup last year. No doubt he's a good player and i love watching him play but he dissapears during the big games, where was he when Henry scored a hat trick against them at home, where has he been Champions leauge wise where the likes of liverpool where running Roma down. Anyone who says lampard is overrated should add Totti to that list cos he only seems to come to live in Serie A. Na for Serie A im class end thats why he's overrated

Maybe overrated is not the word for Inzaghi, more like unpretty
Crespo is nothing but class, never been overrated
How bout Casanno?
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by sage(m): 4:23am On Mar 17, 2007
chuckdee4:

So Lampard and any other English player doing well in the premiership is overated, whats the difference between them and Totti, Totti can be class on his day (in Serie A) but on an international level he's been crap, World Cup 2002, 2006 he was non existent, what effect did he have on Italy when they won the world cup last year. No doubt he's a good player and i love watching him play but he dissapears during the big games, where was he when Henry scored a hat trick against them at home, where has he been Champions leauge wise where the likes of liverpool where running Roma down. Anyone who says lampard is overrated should add Totti to that list because he only seems to come to live in Serie A. Na for Serie A im class end thats why he's overrated

Maybe overrated is not the word for Inzaghi, more like unpretty
Crespo is nothing but class, never been overrated
How bout Casanno?

Did you watch Euro 2000 at all? It would intrest you to know that in the finals even with Zidane, Viera, Henry etc on the winning side, Totti got the man of the match. Totti disappointed in the last world cup coz of injury. Euro 2004 played only one match b/4 getting suspended where his super pass to Zambrotta was one of the highlights of the tournament. 2002 wasnt a good world cup 4 his standards and neither was it for the Italian team.

And for the guy that said Totti is a late bloomer, he isnt. He has been around for a long time

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

AC Milan Agree Terms With Samuel Chukwueze, Medical Due This Week / Winners Of African Player Of The Year Award From 1992 To Present (Photos) / Lagos Hosts First American Flagship Football Exhibition (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.