Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,309 members, 7,819,055 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:42 AM

Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? - Sports (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? (26603 Views)

Queen Asisat Oshoala Crowned Bbc Women Footballer Of The Year / 9 Most Overrated Players In World Football Right Now / Is Victor Moses Overrated? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by sage(m): 4:25am On Mar 17, 2007
And il pick Totti b/4 any England midfielder.
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by Christino(m): 7:45am On Mar 17, 2007
@ BolaOni,

Like I said I don't have any problem with those guys i was just trying to explain why they are no longer the force they used to be. The best of Figo was seen when he was close to 30. Luca Toni hit the serie A dearly at the age of 28 or so.
I was trying to explain that early starters lose flair with age. Another great example is Gaizka Mendieta, he can't hold a starting jersey @ boro any longer - so sad. But look at Pauleta, still doing his thing, and Larsson too who's been around for so long (Anyone who says Larsson ain't good is definitely a wounded Nigerian, i did not forgive him for what he did to us @ the 2002 WC, chai, e pain me)

While some people pick up late in their career and play up to the age of 36 or even 38, some start as early as 16,17 and peak out at the ages of 26-28. The implication of this is that players like Fabregas, Rooney, Walcott and Anton may peak out sooner than expected and leave the same people praising them now doubting them later on.

Luiz Ronaldo was, acclaimed if not actually, the best striker in the world, but what's happening today, they say he's too fat, he's lost pace, reflexes and so on and so forth.

Drogba started making headlines when he was like 23,24 compared with Rooney or Torres or what have we. By the way, where's Vieri been since 2003?

@ Sage,

While Totti may be an idol to Italy and Roma, My greatest all time bests are Rivaldo, Ballack and Gerrard (the last two, both possessing defensive instincts and trademark long range abilities)though I don't worship them. I'll put Rafael Van Der Vaart in there someday. grin
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by Cyclone5(m): 9:20am On Mar 17, 2007
Just so you know - Gilberto Silva is a Brazil international, who has a world cup winners medal, has played in 2 world cups; and is now being tracked by Juventus. Ask Arsenal fans if he is rated.

The issue with Lampard is not about having a good day. If some people would stop scratching their asses while they watch football and actually take a look at tactical awareness and input over 90 minutes of play they might actually understand why their bellies are for birth registration.

The point about Lampard is that he is not able to get into games unless he has a strker running off him and minimal defensive duties. He just doesn't have the ability to run a midfield or the pace or know how to play down the flanks. I acknowledged his goal scoring but stats aint everything. Over the last 4 years Yakubu has the second most prolific scorer currently active in the PL. You dont see big teams coming in for him do you? Because he is not over-rated.
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by Christino(m): 10:38am On Mar 17, 2007
@ Cyclone,

Don't forget that stats define your class and value, Remember Okocha went a whole season without scoring a premiership goal a year or so before he left bolton. Lampard's goal scoring stats as well as assists have been consistent, likewise no matter how much people hate Christiano Ronaldo they can't but help wondering what might have been. Lampard has been given a free role prolly even before the purchase of Makelele, nevertheless he still has those defensive capabilities. Mind you, Ballack, Geremi and Essien are also Defensive Midfielders and are equally good upfront only that Ballack and Lamps are known to be proficient upfront, as for Essien, gunners are a witness to that!

Yakubu truly has been second best only to Henry in Premiership haul of goals recently albeit "he's just 23" to early to declare class for a non-eu player and a non south american! What about Berbatov? Anyone gives a shite? I think not yet dude is the type that can score 18 goals in four months yet can't be bought for 11 million pounds! What about Martins, with 16 goals so far this season and with a good record with Inter yet was sold for a paltry 10million pounds for a young striker.
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by chuckdee4(m): 2:17am On Mar 18, 2007
@ Christino African players are highly underrated in Europe the likes of Martins and Yakubu should be commanding more money,Martins has been fantasctic for his first season in the Premiership given that he plays for a crap team that think they ar good, Yakubu on th other hand has shown that he will score in almost any team they play him in, if Carrick was worth 18 million then i'll value Martins at £23 million and Yakubu @ £25 million

Pple i still think Totti is overrated cos to become a World player he should have left Roma and shown his skills in the Champions league with a better team, he is a good player no doubt but the day i see him do that same magic outside Italy then i'll class him as a non overrated player, to me he has dissapointed in the champions league and world cup enough times
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by 4Play(m): 2:32am On Mar 18, 2007
@chuckdee

Totti does not need to go outside Italy to show his class.The Serie A is simply one of the best leagues in the world and his exploits there are sufficient to class him among the best.

As for his playing for Roma,I don't think his applaudable loyalty to Roma FC minimises his quality.Roma are one of the biggest clubs in Italy and won the Serie A with Totti at the forefront.They have been one of the top 4 sides in the league.True,they have not done well in the Champions League but neither have clubs like Arsenal,yet few doubt Henry's talent .

I think this is the product of the over-emphasis on the Premiership and La Liga.Few people watch other leagues and seem not to appreciate the quality in those other leagues.

As for African players,I think we overestimate how good we are.The evidence is there in every World Cup with the performance of African teams
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by Nobody: 4:44am On Mar 18, 2007
Kevin Nolan
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by superman(m): 11:08pm On Mar 19, 2007
As for African players,I think we overestimate how good we are.The evidence is there in every World Cup with the performance of African teams

thats a lie.
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by Rhodalyn(f): 11:14pm On Mar 19, 2007
Oi U!! U such an evil kid!
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by kaydee(m): 10:49pm On Mar 20, 2007
We talking bout individual African footallers and not a Team
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by Glamourgal(f): 10:50pm On Mar 20, 2007
all a dem lipsrsealed
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by Christino(m): 5:34pm On Mar 21, 2007
Yes it's true.

Glamourgal is the most over-rated Nairalander! tongue Mukina's next!
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by bolaoni(m): 6:33pm On Mar 21, 2007
Saying a player has to leave a club to show how good he is, is something else.

I remember in the early 90s when Bebeto was about being lured to Europe from
Vasco Da Gama or so. Dortmund was one of the big guns then and NOBODY knew
Deportivo La Coruna.

Bebeto chose Deportivo ahead of any other suitors and instead of Depor's constant
position of being perenial strugglers, they started challenging for titles with Barca and
Real all because of one man: BEBETO.

Infact on two occassions, Deportivo lost the titles on the last day of the season to
Barca with their array of stars: Romario, Stoitchkov, Laudrup (Micheal) et al

No matter what club you play for, if you are good, your quality will show out.
Aiyegbeni came to the Premiership from Israel and went to Pompey where he
shone like a million stars. cool
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by chuckdee4(m): 6:49pm On Mar 21, 2007
bolaoni:

No matter what club you play for, if you are good, your quality will show out.
Aiyegbeni came to the Premiership from Israel and went to Pompey where he
shone like a million stars. cool

Help me tell them o, without Yakubu how do u think Middlesborough or Prtsmouth would have done, infact the first season after yakubu left Pompey they almost got relegated, yakubu is class and its only cos henry is on a different level that he is not really looked at (Plus he's black), how many players can play for crap teams like Portsmouth and Middlesborough and still score that many goals in one season?
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by chuckdee4(m): 6:51pm On Mar 21, 2007
Presently England can only dream of a striker like Yakubu, yet the likes of Peter Crouch, David Nuggent, Dean fucking Ashton and Andrew Johnson are valued more than Yakubu so how are Nigerian player over valued
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by 4Play(m): 8:04pm On Mar 21, 2007
chuckdee4:

Presently England can only dream of a striker like Yakubu, yet the likes of Peter Crouch, David Nuggent, Dean fucking Ashton and Andrew Johnson are valued more than Yakubu so how are Nigerian player over valued

Why won't they value Yakubu less when Yak is much older.When Yak started playing professional football,many of them where in junior secondary grin

If my memory serves me well,I can remember Yak played in the Challenge Cup in 1999. grin

The fact of the matter is that England regularly finishes in the top 8 while our "underrated" Nigerian players have never made it past the 2nd round and just lost to Ghana 4-1
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by bmaq007(m): 2:39am On Mar 23, 2007
4 Play:

The fact of the matter is that England regularly finishes in the top 8 while our "underrated" Nigerian players have never made it past the 2nd round and just lost to Ghana 4-1

Ow, that hurt. The 4-1 result is not something i like to recall.

I agree with davidylan, Kevin Nolan is my Most Overrated Player and coming a close second is Peter 'G'rouch.
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by chuckdee4(m): 11:04am On Apr 11, 2007
@ Sage

Where are you!!!
Did u see Man U 7 Roma 1
See what i said about Totti being over-rated, he might be highly skilled and nice looking but he's nothing but an overrated primadonna, people said Rooney was overrated but he sure did a great deal more than Totti. Great players will still stand out in a shitty team

I rest my case
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by viee(f): 11:18am On Apr 11, 2007
being over rated isn't really the issue.
it is more about the quality of players in the team.
in a team where u have grade A players from defense to attack, the player do not have to worry about much but to concentrate on his game.
for me a good player is one who is utility and easily fit into any role when the opportunity demands,I'm talking of a player like essien.he has proved capable in different positions and his kind is hard to come by cos most times he is really the one that does all the dirty works for the strikers to take the glory.
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by 4Play(m): 11:23am On Apr 11, 2007
@chuckdee4

If Totti was playing for Utd he probably would have got a hat-trick.He is a fantastic player for an average club.

He did not disgrace himself last nite.He kept plugging away like a true proffesional and my respect for him did not diminish one bit.
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by chuckdee4(m): 11:38am On Apr 11, 2007
4play: i aint saying he's a bad player at all, all im saying is that he is over rated in the sense that, he might have done much better if he was in the United team, i agree Roma's squad aint the best looking in Europe but even when Totti's in teh Italian squad which is filled with class players he still under performs, ive seen him in Serie A and he can be fantastic, thats y i dont understand he's international performances, he' somewhat like Lampard, good at club level but on the international scene they're crap. Yesterday almost anyone would have shone in the United team, when Evra scores n people like Fletcher and Oshea have blinding games then u know that it was one of those nights. Taking nothing away from United sha it was a good ass whooping
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by MP007(m): 6:56am On Jul 20, 2007
anybody that didnt mention thsi guy is an idiot, the answer is obvious fools , [b]DAVID BECKHAM[/b]I JUST HATE THE GUY WITH PASSION, wetin the fine face dey play?
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by Forfavour(m): 7:22am On Jul 20, 2007
David Beckham - Is a nice player but to me he's excessively OVER-RATED by western media.
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by k0be: 7:26am On Jul 20, 2007
Does that make love imperfect? yes, the downs do.
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by Jackal(m): 9:49am On Jul 20, 2007
Anyone saying David Beckham is over-rated should see his/her brain-surgeon.
Beckham has paid his dues as a player and he has won something that Chelsea and Arsenal players haven't won yet. UEFA champions league.

The most over-rated players

Frank Lampard and Cesc Fabregas.
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by dayokanu(m): 9:57am On Jul 20, 2007
I think Beckham is not as good as the media make him to seem He is above average. Even in the English set up that is even short of great footballers I beleive Steven Gerrard is better than him.
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by Banderas(m): 10:09am On Jul 20, 2007
David Beckham has not been highly rated as a footballer for a while, he has however always been rated as a celebrity and a cash cow.

Frank Lampard is highly rated, and highly disappointing as a footballer. And who on earth would compare Steven Gerrard and Becks? That is a rather unfair comparism Gerrard is class and quality, Becks is past his prime.

Regarding the press - it all depends on what newspaper you read. Yakubu had two wonderful seasons at portsmouth (he has been a bit of a disappointment at 'Boro however, ) but the british media is all about potential english players (think Theo Walcott), so why are you surprised that Crouchie gets more coverage than the Yak?
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by Jackal(m): 10:22am On Jul 20, 2007
@ Banderas,

David Beckham has paid his dues as a player.
I disagree with u on the Gerrard better than Beckham bit.
What criteria are we using here to judge that?
Gerrard is a good player but i don't think he is better than David Beckham as they don't even play the same role as footballers.

Beckham in his days is the best passer of the ball.
Luiz Ronaldo and Ruud Van Nistelrooy will tell u that day and night.
Beckham is a prolific free-kick maestro in his days and he has saved the English team from embarrassment times without number.
If u want to rate Beckham from what he is today then be it in your own head.
If u want to rate him for what he has done in his entire career then Beckham leads the pack out of all the English players.
Only Beckham has won the Premiership, FA Cup, Carling Cup and the UEFA Champions League, Intercontinental cup and the La Liga.
Stevie Gerrard has to win all these titles before he can be mentioned in the same breath as David Beckham so deal wiv it.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by jejelolatu(f): 10:25am On Jul 20, 2007
osaze odewinge,[hes transfer to l.moscow for an outrageous fee]

on a serious note,becks is overated.

hes not as good as he used ti be, but hes still being highly rated.
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by Jackal(m): 10:29am On Jul 20, 2007
How do u expect a player of 31 yrs to still play in the same way he was at 24 or 25 years.
Age catches up for Bleep's sake.
Compare Claude Makelele now to what he was at Real Madrid or Luiz Ronaldo of 1999-2002 to Ronaldo of today.
Is Luiz Ronaldo also over-rated cos he is now FAT and doesnt score like he used to?
Nigga Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Beckham is not overly skilful but he is the best at what he does in his PRIME and that is why he is a walking billboard.
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by Nobody: 10:37am On Jul 20, 2007
Ronaldinho
Re: Who Is The Most Overrated Footballer? by jejelolatu(f): 10:39am On Jul 20, 2007
stop being sentimental.

we are talking about the present and also about football, hes not magnificent on the pitch anymore  and yes hes goor for PR AND publicity.

but on the field its a different issue.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

AC Milan Agree Terms With Samuel Chukwueze, Medical Due This Week / Winners Of African Player Of The Year Award From 1992 To Present (Photos) / Lagos Hosts First American Flagship Football Exhibition (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.