Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,088 members, 7,811,054 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 09:43 PM

Ibori's Chase: Militants Chases Efcc Out Of Oghara - Breaking News - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ibori's Chase: Militants Chases Efcc Out Of Oghara - Breaking News (4939 Views)

Ibori Not Released From Prison – Oghara Clan Sec-General / Biafratimes:the Truth Behind The Killing Of Oghara Vigilante Chairman . / James Ibori's 55th Birthday To Be Celebrated At Oghara, In Delta State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ibori's Chase: Militants Chases Efcc Out Of Oghara - Breaking News by Oboma1(m): 12:49pm On Apr 23, 2010
It a shame that, we have to go through this to arrest Ibori. Why not do same to Mrs. Jonathan who is yet to be probed? Why not do same for Iyabo Obasanjo and even more so, the father (the godfather of stealing)? If Ibori has absconded, then let him be, to avoid blood shed that is looming!.
Re: Ibori's Chase: Militants Chases Efcc Out Of Oghara - Breaking News by Hardtalk: 1:12pm On Apr 23, 2010
Acting President An Emerging Dictator – COSEG

By Harris-Okon Emmanuel (Warri), Felix Igbekoyi (Asaba) and Akinwumi King (Lagos),

The Coalition of Oodua Self Determination Groups (COSEG) says Acting President Goodluck Jonathan may turn the country into a lawless society by encouraging the disobedience of court orders.

The COSEG said some of the actions taken by Jonathan so far cast him in the mould of an emerging dictator.
A statement it issued after an emergency meeting on Thursday pointed out that going after the Speaker of the House of Representatives, Dimeji Bankole, Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) National Chairman, Vincent Ogbulafor, and former Delta State Governor, James Ibori, at the same time shows the government as vindictive and dictatorial.

Speciifically on the Ibori issue, the group, which met in Lagos, said: “In view of the present scenario with the ruling of the Asaba Federal High Court, which asked that the status quo be maintained, (Jonathan) ought to have called the EFCC and all other security agencies to order.”
The statement, signed by the Coordinating Council Secretary, Rasaq Olokoba, said Jonathan’s silence in the face of the violation of the court order by the security agencies smacks of hypocrisy and disregard of the rule of law.
It implored Nigerians and the civil society to rise up against the return of the “misrule and flagrant disobedience of court orders” in the eight years of the Olusegun Obasanjo Presidency.

Ibori himself argued that media reports about the plethora of EFCC’s investigations of the Delta State Government has proved that it has nothing against him.
He recalled that the EFCC proclaimed in December 2007 when it arraigned him at the Kaduna Federal High Court that it had completed all investigations against him before taking the matter to court.

A statement Ibori issued through his Media Assistant, Tony Eluemunor, said: “It is telling that three years after he was arraigned, the EFCC is still on a fishing expedition in Asaba, questioning and re-questioning government officials, arresting and re-arresting civil servants, in an unending attempt to get something, just anything against me, not only over matters that have been investigated before, but charges that have been tried in court and thrown energetically out of the window.

“The EFCC appealed against the Federal High Court judgment, an appeal still on-going at the Benin circuit of the Court of Appeal.”
This time, he added, the EFCC, against the norms of investigation all over the world, has refused to pin point the charges they are allegedly investigating.
According to him, worst of all, the Federal Government has shown lack of regard for the rule of law by flouting a ruling of the Asaba Federal High Court that the EFCC, the police, and State Security Service (SSS) should maintain the “status quo” by not attempting to arrest him.
Ibori said if the current onslaught against him is because of Edwin Clark’s petition over Ascot Company (Wilbros) purchase and Delta State Government shares in Oceanic Bank, then the matters are not new at all.
The shares are intact and proceeds from 40 per cent of those sold were paid into Delta State Government accounts, he maintained.

“These same old matters were investigated in September last year and nothing untoward was found. So far, I have remained the most investigated former Governor in Nigeria, yet, they are still after me not because of an anti-corruption crusade but just to shut me out of politics, even though I am not contesting for anything.”

Ibori reiterated that he advised the residents of Oghara to shun violence and to go about their normal duties, and not to give Clark “and those he works for” the chance they are looking for to commit genocide against them as part of “a clear and present ethnic cleansing agenda against the Urhobo.”
But he warned that if violence is visited on Urhobo land, “it might present an opportunity to misguided elements to take actions that will affect the fragile peace that Warri has enjoyed for a while now; the peace I spent a better part of my days at Government House Asaba to cultivate.”

He urged Deltans not to do anything that will disturb the peace in the state, without which there can be no development.
However, in Delta State, Commissioners and legislators and residents of Oghara are relocating their families elsewhere, in fear of the directive from Aso Rock that former Governor James Ibori be fished out, dead or alive, particularly as Joint Task Force (JTF) troops have deployed in the town.
A Commissioner (name withheld) said the relocation is to escape what happened in Gbaramatu and Odi, where the JTF bombarded the residents.

He disclosed that in a matter of days Oghara may become a graveyard except with the confidence being displayed by youths.
The plea by Governor Emmanuel Uduaghan for Oghara youths and women to vacate entries to the town have fallen on deaf ears, he said.
Associates of Ibori have beefed up security around their persons and homes to ward off suspicious movements. Oghara youths interrogate motorists and commuters in the locality.

“I have contacted a friend in the JTF who only managed to say, ‘but you know your man (Ibori) dared us,” the Commissioner recounted.
However, a former Chairman of the Nigerian Union of Road Transport Workers (NURTW) in Oghara vowed that youths would resist infiltration into the community.

“Let us see how (the security agencies) will come in. We are aware that they have planted detectives among us but we know ourselves. We are going to defend our leader, benefactor and true son with every arsenal at our disposal. We are not intimidated that they are mobilising to come either through water or air,” he added.

A member of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in Oghara threatened that apart from the action of youths, the elders and leaders of the PDP may punish the party in the 2011 election if Ibori, one of its financiers, is humiliated.
He wondered why the PDP leadership has maintained sealed lips on the matter, saying, “A river that forgets its source is bound to dry up. The fight against Ibori is tantamount to fighting the party.”

A lecturer at Delta State Polytechnic, Oghara confirmed that his family has relocated to Asaba.
Said he: “There is tension everywhere. People can no longer sleep with their two eyes closed for fear that the community may be bombarded overnight. The presence of security agents, both conventional and non-conventional, has aggravated the fears.

“People now relocate to Sapele, Warri, and Benin in Edo State. Since I have nobody in those places, I have to run to Asaba as academic work is no longer conducive.”
A driver with Bob-Izua Motors disclosed that the increased passenger traffic on the Benin-Oghara-Sapele-Warri Road has also raised fare from N300 to N500.
The Oghara Elite Forum accused Abuja of singling out Ibori for prosecution over alleged graft, and described his travails as a political vendetta Jonathan.
“Enough is enough,’’ it said.
Re: Ibori's Chase: Militants Chases Efcc Out Of Oghara - Breaking News by Hardtalk: 1:14pm On Apr 23, 2010
All the supporters of Jonathan, should better watch it, because we are moving back to the era of dictatorial government, led by OBJ. Time and events will tell.
Re: Ibori's Chase: Militants Chases Efcc Out Of Oghara - Breaking News by Oboma1(m): 5:16pm On Apr 23, 2010
Today in Abuja, some students and some civil organisations protested and marched all the way to EFCC office in support of James Ibori. Their key point was, stop selective justice. That is the lastest!!!!!!!.
Re: Ibori's Chase: Militants Chases Efcc Out Of Oghara - Breaking News by Oboma1(m): 5:25pm On Apr 23, 2010
Monkey no fine, but him Mama like am!!!!! grin

Re: Ibori's Chase: Militants Chases Efcc Out Of Oghara - Breaking News by Onlytruth(m): 5:43pm On Apr 23, 2010
Oboma1:

Monkey no fine, but him Mama like am!!!!! grin

I'm heading to Oghara now! The war is just beginning and I won't miss it for anything. . . cool grin

Those Oghara boys are serious. Check out that Iroko tree trunk!
Re: Ibori's Chase: Militants Chases Efcc Out Of Oghara - Breaking News by Dede1(m): 7:02pm On Apr 23, 2010
I have written in my previous post that the cesspit called Nigeria and currently led by the Vice President Goodluck Jonathan has no business singing the praises of democracy. I believe that a court in Asaba has issued injunction against the arrest by EFCC. How did the EFCC obtain the alleged warrant to arrest Chief Ibori when there is a pending injunction against it?

I have long concluded from the alleged report about the order to arrest Chief Ibori was consummated by the Vice President which paints pictures of selective justice and political witch-hunting. To second the views expressed by the COSEG, I am convinced that the actions of Vice President Goodluck Jonathan so far can describe him as not only a dictator but a puppet.
Re: Ibori's Chase: Militants Chases Efcc Out Of Oghara - Breaking News by sjeezy8: 7:05pm On Apr 23, 2010
Hardtalk:

Acting President An Emerging Dictator – COSEG

By Harris-Okon Emmanuel (Warri), Felix Igbekoyi (Asaba) and Akinwumi King (Lagos),

The Coalition of Oodua Self Determination Groups (COSEG) says Acting President Goodluck Jonathan may turn the country into a lawless society by encouraging the disobedience of court orders.

The COSEG said some of the actions taken by Jonathan so far cast him in the mould of an emerging dictator.
A statement it issued after an emergency meeting on Thursday pointed out that going after the Speaker of the House of Representatives, Dimeji Bankole, Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) National Chairman, Vincent Ogbulafor, and former Delta State Governor, James Ibori, at the same time shows the government as vindictive and dictatorial.

Speciifically on the Ibori issue, the group, which met in Lagos, said: “In view of the present scenario with the ruling of the Asaba Federal High Court, which asked that the status quo be maintained, (Jonathan) ought to have called the EFCC and all other security agencies to order.”
The statement, signed by the Coordinating Council Secretary, Rasaq Olokoba, said Jonathan’s silence in the face of the violation of the court order by the security agencies smacks of hypocrisy and disregard of the rule of law.
It implored Nigerians and the civil society to rise up against the return of the “misrule and flagrant disobedience of court orders” in the eight years of the Olusegun Obasanjo Presidency.

Ibori himself argued that media reports about the plethora of EFCC’s investigations of the Delta State Government has proved that it has nothing against him.
He recalled that the EFCC proclaimed in December 2007 when it arraigned him at the Kaduna Federal High Court that it had completed all investigations against him before taking the matter to court.

A statement Ibori issued through his Media Assistant, Tony Eluemunor, said: “It is telling that three years after he was arraigned, the EFCC is still on a fishing expedition in Asaba, questioning and re-questioning government officials, arresting and re-arresting civil servants, in an unending attempt to get something, just anything against me, not only over matters that have been investigated before, but charges that have been tried in court and thrown energetically out of the window.

“The EFCC appealed against the Federal High Court judgment, an appeal still on-going at the Benin circuit of the Court of Appeal.”
This time, he added, the EFCC, against the norms of investigation all over the world, has refused to pin point the charges they are allegedly investigating.
According to him, worst of all, the Federal Government has shown lack of regard for the rule of law by flouting a ruling of the Asaba Federal High Court that the EFCC, the police, and State Security Service (SSS) should maintain the “status quo” by not attempting to arrest him.
Ibori said if the current onslaught against him is because of Edwin Clark’s petition over Ascot Company (Wilbros) purchase and Delta State Government shares in Oceanic Bank, then the matters are not new at all.
The shares are intact and proceeds from 40 per cent of those sold were paid into Delta State Government accounts, he maintained.

“These same old matters were investigated in September last year and nothing untoward was found. So far, I have remained the most investigated former Governor in Nigeria, yet, they are still after me not because of an anti-corruption crusade but just to shut me out of politics, even though I am not contesting for anything.”

Ibori reiterated that he advised the residents of Oghara to shun violence and to go about their normal duties, and not to give Clark “and those he works for” the chance they are looking for to commit genocide against them as part of “a clear and present ethnic cleansing agenda against the Urhobo.”
But he warned that if violence is visited on Urhobo land, “it might present an opportunity to misguided elements to take actions that will affect the fragile peace that Warri has enjoyed for a while now; the peace I spent a better part of my days at Government House Asaba to cultivate.”

He urged Deltans not to do anything that will disturb the peace in the state, without which there can be no development.
However, in Delta State, Commissioners and legislators and residents of Oghara are relocating their families elsewhere, in fear of the directive from Aso Rock that former Governor James Ibori be fished out, dead or alive, particularly as Joint Task Force (JTF) troops have deployed in the town.
A Commissioner (name withheld) said the relocation is to escape what happened in Gbaramatu and Odi, where the JTF bombarded the residents.

He disclosed that in a matter of days Oghara may become a graveyard except with the confidence being displayed by youths.
The plea by Governor Emmanuel Uduaghan for Oghara youths and women to vacate entries to the town have fallen on deaf ears, he said.
Associates of Ibori have beefed up security around their persons and homes to ward off suspicious movements. Oghara youths interrogate motorists and commuters in the locality.

“I have contacted a friend in the JTF who only managed to say, ‘but you know your man (Ibori) dared us,” the Commissioner recounted.
However, a former Chairman of the Nigerian Union of Road Transport Workers (NURTW) in Oghara vowed that youths would resist infiltration into the community.

“Let us see how (the security agencies) will come in. We are aware that they have planted detectives among us but we know ourselves. We are going to defend our leader, benefactor and true son with every arsenal at our disposal. We are not intimidated that they are mobilising to come either through water or air,” he added.

A member of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in Oghara threatened that apart from the action of youths, the elders and leaders of the PDP may punish the party in the 2011 election if Ibori, one of its financiers, is humiliated.
He wondered why the PDP leadership has maintained sealed lips on the matter, saying, “A river that forgets its source is bound to dry up. The fight against Ibori is tantamount to fighting the party.”

A lecturer at Delta State Polytechnic, Oghara confirmed that his family has relocated to Asaba.
Said he: “There is tension everywhere. People can no longer sleep with their two eyes closed for fear that the community may be bombarded overnight. The presence of security agents, both conventional and non-conventional, has aggravated the fears.

“People now relocate to Sapele, Warri, and Benin in Edo State. Since I have nobody in those places, I have to run to Asaba as academic work is no longer conducive.”
A driver with Bob-Izua Motors disclosed that the increased passenger traffic on the Benin-Oghara-Sapele-Warri Road has also raised fare from N300 to N500.
The Oghara Elite Forum accused Abuja of singling out Ibori for prosecution over alleged graft, and described his travails as a political vendetta Jonathan.
“Enough is enough,’’ it said.

I expect nothing less from Oodua clowns - PURE NONSENSE AND RUBBISH
Re: Ibori's Chase: Militants Chases Efcc Out Of Oghara - Breaking News by SapeleGuy: 7:08pm On Apr 23, 2010
Dede1:

I have written in my previous post that the cesspit called Nigeria and currently led by the Vice President Goodluck Jonathan has no business singing the praises of democracy. I believe that a court in Asaba has issued injunction against the arrest EFCC. How did the EFCC obtain the alleged warrant to arrest Chief Ibori when there is a pending injunction against it?

I have long concluded from the alleged report about the order to arrest Chief Ibori which was consummated by the Vice President which paints pictures of selective justice and political witch-hunting. To second the views expressed by the COSEG, I am convinced that the actions of Vice President Goodluck Jonathan so far can describe him as not only a dictator but a puppet.

Nah remote control from Ota via Kiagbodo.
Re: Ibori's Chase: Militants Chases Efcc Out Of Oghara - Breaking News by Oboma1(m): 8:10pm On Apr 23, 2010
Mr. Goodluck Selective Justice Jonathan, The law of natural justice will soon catch up with you someday. Fight corruption the way it should be, and let everyone be happy.
Re: Ibori's Chase: Militants Chases Efcc Out Of Oghara - Breaking News by Onlytruth(m): 12:54am On Apr 24, 2010
SapeleGuy:

Nah remote control from Ota via Kiagbodo.

Exactly my conclusion. Kiagbodo is fishing on trouble waters. He has refused to retire.
Obasanjo has not forgiven Ibori for his 3rd (life) term debacle. I wonder how Jonathan is allowing himself to be used by Obasanjo. This war no go reach Owu. undecided
Re: Ibori's Chase: Militants Chases Efcc Out Of Oghara - Breaking News by Oboma1(m): 3:20am On Apr 24, 2010
Mr. Jonathan, if any man does what any other man has never done, he will see what any other man has never seen.
Re: Ibori's Chase: Militants Chases Efcc Out Of Oghara - Breaking News by Hardtalk: 9:01pm On Apr 26, 2010
Unconfirmed reports have it that, Ibori escaped through the creeks into Ghana, where he is expected to connect flight to Asia. EFCC, who is next in your selective list?
Re: Ibori's Chase: Militants Chases Efcc Out Of Oghara - Breaking News by Hardtalk: 8:41pm On Apr 27, 2010
EFCC officials played part in Ibori’s escape – Aide •No, there’s no mole in EFCC - Spokesman

| Print | E-mail
Written by Idowu Samuel
THE purported manhunt for former governor of Delta State, Chief James Ibori, by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), may not produce result if the undercover roles of his moles within the commission are anything to go by.

Nigerian Tribune was informed by Ibori’s close aides that the EFCC officials played a part in his non-appearance before the commission and his reported escape from the country.
This is coming as an Abuja-based lawyer, Mr Kayode Ajulo, said Ibori’s escape was suspicious, as he urged Acting President Goodluck Jonathan to query the police authorities for failing to arrest him.

The lawyer expressed dismay that the police authorities gave Nigerian an impression that Ibori was invincible and untouchable, given their failure to obey a presidential order to effect the arrest of the former governor.

Ajulo said the Inspector General of Police, Mr Ogbonna Onovo, should start by querying the Deputy Inspector General (DIG), Mr Udom Ekpoudom, who was detailed to effect the arrest of the former governor.

He said it was wrong for Ekpoudom to tell Nigerians that he was to negotiate with Ibori on his arrest, adding that his reported order withdrawing the police guards attached to the former governor was meant to provide an escape route for him.

“It is on record that Ekpoudom is a good friend of Ibori, a reason which makes us to wonder whether the police was, indeed, sincere about carrying out the presidential order on his arrest or they were all out to protect the interest of a man whom many believed is the friend of top shots within the police,” he said.

Ajulo said what the police could do to protect their image was to arrest Ibori and hand him over to the EFCC, failing which Nigerians would conclude that the ex-governor was smarter than the police, the EFCC and the government of Nigeria.

Meanwhile, the EFCC, reacting to the allegation, said it had no mole within its rank working for anyone, adding that it had intensified efforts to effect the arrest of Ibori.
The commission’s spokesperson, Mr Femi Babafemi, said much as the anti-graft agency was set to get the former governor to answer the allegations levelled against him, the police, he added, had the mandate to also get him in line with an existing order.

http://www.tribune.com.ng/index.php/news/4546-efcc-officials-played-part-in-iboris-escape-aideno-theres-no-mole-in-efcc-spokesman
Re: Ibori's Chase: Militants Chases Efcc Out Of Oghara - Breaking News by Hardtalk: 8:44pm On Apr 27, 2010
Let us not be deceived any longer, both the IG's office, and EFCC, both knows how Ibori escaped. They wrote the script out for him.
Re: Ibori's Chase: Militants Chases Efcc Out Of Oghara - Breaking News by Hardtalk: 8:45pm On Apr 27, 2010
Let us not be deceived any longer, both the IG's office and EFCC knows how Ibori escaped. They wrote the script out for him.
Re: Ibori's Chase: Militants Chases Efcc Out Of Oghara - Breaking News by Hardtalk: 9:36pm On Apr 27, 2010
Ibori’s Escape: Govt Shuts Terminals For Private Jets
April 27, 2010 17:05 (4 hours ago), 1,401 views
By Simeon Ateba & Paul Dada

There are indications that the Federal Government has shut down the private jet terminal of the domestic wing of the Murtala Muhammed Airport.

This action follows reports that some aviation workers assisted former Delta State Governor, James Ibori, to escape from the country.

Ibori is being wanted by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) for N44 billion fraud.

Though a source close to a private jet owner told P.M.NEWS that they no longer operate from the private jet terminal, P.M.NEWS observed that some private jets were still operating from NAFIS hangar located between MMA 2 and Arik Air office. Others were seen operating at the Concorde area of the General Aviation Terminal.

•Ibori

Meanwhile, the Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority (NCAA) which regulates the operations of the private jets has denied that some of their staff helped Ibori to escape from Lagos.

Mr. Sam Adurogboye, the Media Assistant to the Director General of NCAA, Dr. Harold Demuren, said: “I believe that those who have such information that some of our staff assisted anybody to escape know what to do.”

The Federal Airport Authority of Nigeria (FAAN) also said that it was not aware of any movement of a private jet at the Lagos Airport.

FAAN GM, Mr. Akin Olukunle said, “we are not aware of anything like that. And it is not possible because our operations are regulated. There is no way the regulators would have given anybody licence to engage in an international flight through GAT. The terminal operates only local flights. From our record there is nothing like that.

“All movements of private jets are carefully documented. From our record there is nothing to show that James Ibori landed or took off from the Lagos airport even if he was declared wanted by the EFCC.”

Ibori, since he left office as governor three years ago, has been in the eye of the storm with the huge weight of allegations of corruption levelled against him. But the former Delta State governor did not see any reason to flee until now.

However, the EFCC had to issue a fresh statement signed by Femi Babafemi, its Head of Media and Publicity, that Ibori was wanted in connection with investigations into allegation of official corruption and money laundering. Subsequently, a court warrant was issued for his arrest.

The EFCC was acting on a petition sent to it by a group of Delta State leaders and elders headed by Chief Edwin Clark, a former Minister of Information.

The petition claimed that Ibori used 800 million units of shares belonging to Delta State in Oceanic Bank Plc to secure a N44 billion private loan from Intercontinental Bank Plc while he was still governor.

He is also being alleged to have used the 800 million units of shares to acquire Ascot Oil, and American Oil service company whose headquarters is in Port Harcourt.

The petitioners said not less than 520 million out of the 800 million units of shares were sold under questionable circumstances.

But Ibori, rather than make himself available for investigations by the EFCC, is believed to have been hiding.

His media assistant Tony Eluemunor, however, denied that Ibori was invited by the EFCC.

http://www.nigeriamasterweb.com/paperfrmes.html
Re: Ibori's Chase: Militants Chases Efcc Out Of Oghara - Breaking News by Hardtalk: 9:38pm On Apr 27, 2010
Who is fooling who?
Re: Ibori's Chase: Militants Chases Efcc Out Of Oghara - Breaking News by jimmysho(m): 9:46pm On Apr 27, 2010
no where to hide boy. Charles tailor did and we all know the rest of the story
Re: Ibori's Chase: Militants Chases Efcc Out Of Oghara - Breaking News by Hardtalk: 12:50am On Apr 28, 2010
jimmysho:

no where to hide boy. Charles tailor did and we all know the rest of the story

Ibori's case is more than that of Charles Taylor, but he is well covered than Charles Taylor.
Re: Ibori's Chase: Militants Chases Efcc Out Of Oghara - Breaking News by sjeezy8: 12:54am On Apr 28, 2010
shocked grin cheesy wink smiley tongue cool

Re: Ibori's Chase: Militants Chases Efcc Out Of Oghara - Breaking News by chidichris(m): 7:59am On Apr 28, 2010
This shows hw shallow your brain is!!!! U retarded slowpoke.

@nikkykay,
pls permit me for just once to re-direct the line above to ur parents.
be reminded that i can be old enough to be ur father so insulting me cld as well mean insulting ur father.

@topic,
where is atiku? in 2007, ribadu and obasanjo made atiku a national problem like they are doing to ibori today. today, atiku is back in pdp and he is no longer a criminal and there was no jail sentence for the man ribadu found guilty.
no matter how bad ibori is, he is still 100% cleaner than those chassing him.
Re: Ibori's Chase: Militants Chases Efcc Out Of Oghara - Breaking News by monkeyleg: 9:24am On Apr 28, 2010
@Chidichris,

Stop running around talking nonsense. I asked you in a previous post to state Ribadu and El-Rufai's crimes, but you havent. I Also asked you a basic question about if you thought and had proof that Ibori was innocent.

I am now fully convinced that you are either being paid by him to come on here and talk nonsense. IBORI is DAMN THIEF, and he will get what is coming to HIM
Re: Ibori's Chase: Militants Chases Efcc Out Of Oghara - Breaking News by Hardtalk: 1:11pm On Apr 28, 2010
Monkey no fine, but him Mama like am. That is the situation here!.
Re: Ibori's Chase: Militants Chases Efcc Out Of Oghara - Breaking News by Blazay(m): 7:21pm On Apr 28, 2010
Another smokescreen. More distractions.
Re: Ibori's Chase: Militants Chases Efcc Out Of Oghara - Breaking News by Hardtalk: 7:27pm On Apr 28, 2010
There is no point crying over spilt milk, Ibori has escaped for good. Who is next? Because I know, all anti-Jonathan must be dealt with, whether corrupt or not. Take for example, the corruption charges against PDP Chairman existed since 2001, and Obasanjo did nothing about that, since the man was singing OBJ's song well. Now that they know he committed himself by zoning Presidency to the north, those charges are now brought out, why now?
Re: Ibori's Chase: Militants Chases Efcc Out Of Oghara - Breaking News by Otobroto(f): 1:18am On Apr 29, 2010
Court refuses to stop Ibori’s arrest
By Sola Adebayo and Friday Olokor with agency report, Published: Thursday, 29 Apr 2010

A Federal High Court in Asaba, Delta State on Wednesday rejected an oral application by former Governor James Ibori to stop the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, the Police and the State Security Service from arresting him.

The EFCC had on April 14 declared Ibori wanted over alleged fraud involving the sale of shares belonging to the Delta State Government.

But Ibori, through his counsel, Mr. Augustine Alegeh (SAN), approached Justice Ibrahim Buba, with an application asking for an order of interim injunction restraining the EFCC from arresting him.

He also prayed the court to restrain the commission, its officers or agents from arresting, harassing, intimidating or attempting to arrest him pending the determination of the substantive motion.

Joined in the suit were the Attorney-General of the Federation, the Inspector-General of Police and the Director of SSS.

Buba, after listening to the motion, directed that the motion be served on all the respondents before it was taken on April 19.

At the resumed hearing on April 19, the court also adjourned to April 28 to enable fresh hearing notices to be served on the first and third respondents as well as for ruling.

The adjournment was made by the court after listening to Mr J. B. Daudu (SAN), counsel to Ibori.

At Wednesday’s hearing, Mr. Abubakar Mahmoud, counsel to the first, third and fourth respondents, asked for a short adjournment to enable him regularise and file necessary processes.

He said his clients would file their preliminary objections and responses in the next adjourned date.

Daudu, however, said he would not object to the application if Daudu reiterated and reapplied for a preservative order made on behalf of Ibori.

The preservative order sought was to stop the EFCC from arresting the former governor pending the determination of the substantive matter.

But counsel to the EFCC, Mr. Chidi Okoroma, intervened , saying that preservative orders would be premature in the circumstance.

“If they are making an application for preservative order, it is better to make a formal application so that we will be able to react,” he argued.

Daudu, however, told the court that where counsel made a strong representation to court orally, the rug would not be pulled under the carpet if the court ruled on it.

He said, `Since the last adjourned date when Okoroma gave an indication that nothing will be done, all hell was let loose.

“The applicant (Ibori) had been declared wanted dead or alive. The affidavit we filed just showed newspaper cuttings that the EFCC has not relented in going after Ibori.

“Where we suffer this apprehension, it is one of the functions of this court to preserve the status quo. If we keep quiet, one may not have grounds to execute the application.

“Please grant the preservative order because a lot have been done to arrest Ibori. I speak from the Bar.

“I urge you to grant the order to restrain all the defendants from attempting to arrest the applicant pending the determination of this matter.’’

Mahmoud also disagreed with Daudu’s application because “he is misunderstanding the legal principles in this matter.‘‘

Mahmoud said, “There is no basis for that order by your Lordship. The issue is not that of preserving the jurisdiction of court. There must be legal basis for the order to be made.

“There is no legally enforceable rights called the right to refuse arrest. You are being asked to issue a blanket order.

“If he (Ibori) is arrested, he is entitled to a safeguard of law. It will be outside the scope of preserving your jurisdiction.

“Court must be weary of stopping a statutory body from carrying out its functions. This application should not be entertained at all.

“Criminal justice administration should not be impeded. The application is misconceived and court should reject it.’’

Okoroma, who associated himself with Mahmoud’s submission, said, ”The application cannot hold water because no person had the right to be insulated from investigation.‘‘

He said Ibori was at liberty to file a formal application on the matter.

Okoroma added, “From April 19 till date, the status- quo remained the same, nothing has changed.

“If anything has actually changed, the court deals on facts formally presented before it.

“They have enough time to bring a formal application and give us an opportunity to react.’’

In his ruling, the judge declined to make a preservative order stopping the EFCC, the police and the SSS from arresting Ibori because it was made orally.

Buba, who adjourned the case to May 10, however, ruled that Ibori was free to formally bring an application for preservative order of court.

Immediately after, Ibori filed a fresh motion seeking to stop his arrest.

The motion marked FHC/ASB/CS/34/2010 and titled “The matter of an application by Chief James Onanefe Ibori for the enforcement of his fundamental rights to fair hearing and personal liberty under the Fundamental Rights Enforcement Procedure Rules 2009,” was filed by Daudu.

An affidavit in support of the motion was signed by Chief Azikiwe Ako, who said that he was in the court on April 19, 2010 when EFCC’s counsel, Mr. Chile Okoronma, on EFCC’s behalf, “specifically stated that since the service of the court processes, they had not done anything and will not do anything that will make the determination of this matter a fait accompli.”

Ako added that “contrary to Okoronma’s undertaking in open court on Tuesday, April 20, 2010, the respondents arrived in Oghara in a bid to arrest Ibori.”

He argued that unless the court restrained the EFCC, police and the SSS, there was a likelihood that Ibori’s fundamental rights would be infringed upon before May 10.

Ako added that if the embattled former governor was arrested, he might “suffer great, untold and exceptional hardship.”

Meanwhile, the former governor has expressed his gratitude to his supporters across the country that have rallied to his defence since “this round of political persecution and not legal prosecution against him began.”

The former governor, in a statement by his Media Assistant, Mr. Tony Eluemunor, urged them to always maintain the peace.

Meanwhile, the Court of Appeal in Benin on Wednesday, failed to hear an appeal by the EFCC against the decisions of the Federal high Court in Asaba.

The EFCC is contesting the judgment of Justice Marcel Awokulehin, which quashed the 170-count charge against Ibori.

The five-man panel declined to entertain the matter on the grounds that the case was not an election dispute.

When the matter was mentioned before the appellate court, Ibori’s lawyer, Mr. Alege, observed that the case was a criminal matter which should go before the regular appeal court.

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201004292332439
Re: Ibori's Chase: Militants Chases Efcc Out Of Oghara - Breaking News by Oboma1(m): 1:31am On Apr 29, 2010
I think it is better Ibori gives up on politics, and enjoy his loot. His trouble is too much for one man.
Re: Ibori's Chase: Militants Chases Efcc Out Of Oghara - Breaking News by selingel: 1:53am On Apr 29, 2010
Na wah oh!. Ibori in London court, Ibori in Appeal Court Benin, Ibori in Asaba court. By now, he should be having high blood pressure!. What a life?
Re: Ibori's Chase: Militants Chases Efcc Out Of Oghara - Breaking News by Hardtalk: 2:21am On Apr 29, 2010
Ibori Wins One, Loses Another
•Panel refuses to hear EFCC appeal •Asaba Court fails to give ex-gov ‘preservative order’
From Kunle Akogun and Senator Iroegbu in Abuja, 04.29.2010
It was a case of win-one, lose one yesterday for embattled former Delta State Governor James Onanefe Ibori.
The move by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) to appeal against the decision of the Federal High Court in Asaba to absolve Ibori of all allegations of corrupt practices while in office suffered a setback.

This is because the Court of Appeal in Benin sitting as Electoral Appeal Panel refused to entertain the appeal filed by EFCC against the decision of the Federal High Court, Asaba, which had discharged Ibori of corrupt allegations.
In Asaba, however, the Federal High Court sitting in the city turned down an application for a ‘preservative order’ filed by Ibori to prevent EFCC from arresting him.
While giving his ruling in the oral application brought by Ibori’s lead counsel, Joseph Daudu (SAN), Justice Ibrahim Buba said there was no sufficient material before the court to warrant the granting of such an application.

A five-man Electoral Appeal Panel sitting as the appellate court in Benin decided not to hear the EFCC case.
When the matter was called for mention, Ibori counsel, Mr. Augustine Alege (SAN), observed that the case was a criminal matter, which should go before the regular appeal court.
According to him, “we don’t know why we are here because the panel is to hear election petitions. We are not aware of any complaints that would necessitate the hearing of the case by the panel”.

Following his observation, EFCC counsel, Mr. Ibrahim Ishaku, SAN, while urging the court to hear the case, said there was only one Court of Appeal in the country.
“We believe the panel is competent to hear the application. It is only an application, we are not going into the substantive matter yet,” he submitted.

The court in its ruling delivered by the Chairman of the Electoral Panel, Justice M.B. Dongban-Mesen, agreed with the EFCC’s counsel that there was one court of appeal in the country, but quickly concurred with Ibori’s counsel that the matter before the court was a criminal matter.
The court also agreed with Alege’s submission that the case ought to have been taken by the regular Court of Appeal, adding “this panel is not set up for this application”.
Consequently, the court ruled “We shall refrain from taking the application. The application shall be taken by the regular court”.
Justice Mercy Awokulehin of the court had in November 2009 discharged and acquitted Ibori over the 170- count charge brought against him by EFCC for lack of evidence.

Ibori was charged at the Federal High Court, Kaduna in December 2008 but following an application by his counsel, the case was transferred to Asaba division of the court in the state where the alleged offences were committed.
Refusing to grant the preservatory order, Justice Buba said: “It is clear that the order, whether preservative, interim or interlocutory cannot be granted to protect the legal right of the applicant. Therefore, at this stage, without any material before the court with which the court can use without going into the substantive matter to show that the applicant has a legal right and to show that the respondents are acting ultra varies beyond their powers.

“The court will be circumspect to wittingly or unwittingly delve into the substantive matter, therefore, it will be premature at this stage to make any order on the basis of the oral application without materials before the court, therefore, I therefore decline to make a preservative order, and nothing stops the applicant from filing a formal application”.
At the resumed hearing of the matter yesterday, no sooner had Mr. Abubakar Balarabe Mahmud (SAN) announced his appearance for the 1st, 3rd and 4th respondents (Attorney-General of the Federation, Inspector- General of Police and Director, State Security Services) in the matter and pleaded for an adjournment to enable him study the cases, than Daudu (SAN) moved for the oral application for the preservative order.

The atmosphere in the court then suddenly became charged.
Dawodu drew the attention of the judge to what he called covert moves by EFCC and the Federal Government “to get Ibori dead or alive.”
He argued that the rug was about to be pulled from under the feet of the court and that the court could make a preservatory order to protect Ibori from attempted arrest and further harassment by EFCC and other security operatives now that the matter was before the court.
“I am making a strong application, the applicant has been declared wanted, dead or alive, we urge the court to make a preservative order. Section 6 of the 1999 Constitution, it enjoins both parties to submit themselves to the rule of law.

Under the professed rule of law, everybody is equal before the law, a lot has been done to arrest the applicant since the court said we are bound by the undertaking made in this court by EFCC council, I urge my lord to grant an injunction to safe guard the decision of the court. I urge my lord to grant this application, to restrain all the defendants, agents, and servants, whosoever they may ask from attempting to arrest the applicant pending the determination of this matter.”
Daudu could hardly finish with his submission when Mr. Charles Okoroma, counsel to EFCC interjected arguing that the application amounts to shielding Ibori from been arrested, criminal investigation and prosecution, adding that Daudu’s argument “does not hold water because the statutory body be asked or prevented from performing his statutory duties and functions as “no body can be insulated”

He argued that nothing has changed since on the 19th of April to date when then he made the declaration in court that nothing will happen to Ibori and nothing has happened till now, adding that the tactics been employed by the applicant amount to pulling the rug on the fit of the court and urged the court not to grant the order.
In his submission Mahmud opposed that the application for a preservative order, saying that it lack merits adding that, “there is no bases for that order, the issue is not one of safe guarding the jurisdiction of the court.

There is no legal enforceable right called that right against arrest. No body has the right not be arrested, the court can not issue a blanket order not to be arrested,”
He further argued that “section 214 of the constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria recognizes the powers and duties of the police to prevent crime, investigate crime and apprehend offenders, which is applicable to all the generalities of Nigerians”, adding that “the court cannot be asked to prevent or stop this statutory body from performing their duties and functions in the society. It is outside the scope of the jurisdiction of this court.”
He said the best the applicant can do was to go to court to say that his right has been breached and the court is satisfied, he will be entitled to redress, so nobody has the blanket right not to be arrested.

He urged the court not to entertain the application. The case has been adjourned to 10th May for further hearing.
Meanwhile, Ibori’s counsel, Daudu (SAN) has filed a suit restraining the Attorney-General of the Federation, EFCC, Inspector-General of Police and SSS Director from arresting him.
In the suit number FHC/ASB/CS/34/2010 titled: “The Matter of an Application by Chief James Onanefe Ibori for the Enforcement of his Fundamental Rights to Fair Hearing and Personal Liberty under the Fundamental Rights Enforcement Procedure Rules 2009”, was filed at the

Federal High Court Asaba, immediately after Justice I. N. Buba adjourned proceedings on the substantive issue till May 10, 2010.
A statement signed by Ibori’s Media Assistant, Mr. Tony Eluemunor, said the motion was specifically asking for “an order of injunction restraining the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th Respondents by
themselves or through their officers, agents, privies and assigns from arresting, harassing and/or intimidate the applicant in any manner whatsoever and howsoever pending the hearing and determination of the applicant’s substantive motion on notice, which has been adjourned for hearing to the 10th of May, 2010 and for such further orders as this Honourable Court may deem fit to make in the circumstances”.

The affidavit in support of the motion signed by Chief Azikiwe Ako (JP) affirmed that he was in court on the 19th of April 2010 when EFCC’s counsel, Mr. Chile Okoronma, on EFCC’s behalf “specifically stated in court that since the service of the court processes, they have not done anything and will not do anything that will make the determination of this matter a fiat accompli” because of which the judge saw no reason to make a preservative order.

Ibori has expressed his gratitude and appreciation to his teaming supporters across the country who he said had rallied to his defence “since this round of political persecution and not legal prosecution against him” began.
He challenged them to always maintain the peace because he is not only a lover of peace, but he has implicit faith in Nigeria’s legal system.

http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=172128
Re: Ibori's Chase: Militants Chases Efcc Out Of Oghara - Breaking News by Hardtalk: 2:23am On Apr 29, 2010
In fact, if Ibori survives these pool of litigations against him, he should be installed Presido grin grin grin. He would have merited it.
Re: Ibori's Chase: Militants Chases Efcc Out Of Oghara - Breaking News by Hardtalk: 2:29am On Apr 29, 2010
Ibori: Police Arrest 50 Students Over Protest.
Written by By Ben Dunno And Patrick Ochoga, Benin City
Wednesday, 28 April 2010 20:01

The Police in Delta State have arrested 50 students over damages made in last Tuesday's protest against the manhunt for the former State Governor, Chief James Ibori by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).

The solidarity rally in support of Chief James Ibori over his manhunt by Economic and Financial Crime Commission (EFCC) sponsored by the Pro- Ibori's group in Delta state had painted the state capital red following resistance by another anti- Ibori's group, who accosted them on the way resulting in a free for all.

2A source close to the police told our Correspondent yesterday in Warri that those arrested were mainly undergraduates.

According to our source, the police at Ekpan arrested 30 of the students while the police at Ebrumude and Enerhen arrested 10 each for damages and causing body harm to residents.

The source further disclosed that the arrested students would soon be charged to courts.Meanwhile, the presiding Judges in the Court of Appeal in Benin, Edo State, yesterday in the case of alleged money laundry brought against the embattled former governor of Delta State , James Ibori, by the Economic and Financial Crime Commission(EFCC), declined hearing the matter on the ground that the panel as been constituted is to entertain election matters.

It would be recalled that the anti-graft commission being discontented with an Asaba High Court judgment early this year that quashed the 170 charges leveled against the former governor and fives others however appealed against the judgment.

The case which came up for hearing yesterday was presided over by Justice M.B. Dongban Mensen and four others, in their unanimous decision said they decided to refrain to hear the matter because the panel was originally set up to specifically adjudicate on the fall-out of election tribunal and not on criminal cases.

Dongban Mensen said though Federal Court of Appeal is one nationwide, the panel cannot go beyond their limit of hearing criminal cases as against the original purpose for which it was constituted.

According to her, we agreed that this is a criminal matter. This panel is not set up for criminal matter. The court of appeal is one. We shall refrain from taking this application till a special panel is set up to determine the case. The local panel can hear the case. Criminal matter cannot be taken by the panel. The decision of the judges arose from the objection of the leading counsel to the respondents, Augustine Alegeh who challenged the competence of the panel of judges to entertain the application.

In his submission, he said the case is a criminal matter that ought to have come up in the regular court, wondering why the case was scheduled to take place in the election appeal panel.

"We want to make the following observation that this case is a criminal case that ought to have come up in the regular court. We don't know why we are here tod0ay. This panel supposed to be a special election appeal tribunal and not for criminal cases. It shouldn't be for this panel to hear this case it should be for regular court. A criminal panel is constituted by three- man panel while the election appeal panel is made up of five men", he said.

While objecting to the submission of the counsel to the respondents, Ibrahim Ishiaku, the leading counsel to the appellant said there is only one appeal court, adding that all other things are matter of administrative purposes.

He however stated that the panel is competent to hear the application, stressing that they are only going to make an application and not the substantive case.

http://leadershipnigeria.com/news/headlines/14408-ibori-police-arrest-50-students-over-protest

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Fuel Subsidy Removal Is A Slap To The Face Of The Average Nigerian - My Analysis / MTN Donates Patrol Vans To Lagos Security Trust Fund / Hilarious!! Pdp Mocks GMB In Their New Campaign Picture!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 120
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.