Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,615 members, 7,809,259 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:53 AM

Chinese Police Starts Wearing Smart Glasses With Facial Recognition - Foreign Affairs (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Chinese Police Starts Wearing Smart Glasses With Facial Recognition (40641 Views)

Netherlands Probes 'illegal' Chinese Police Stations / New Zealand Gets First Gay Deputy PM And A Foreign Minister With Facial Tattoo / Chinese Police To Muslims: Hand In All Your Qurans Or Face Harsh Punishment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chinese Police Starts Wearing Smart Glasses With Facial Recognition by Perge(m): 3:11pm On Feb 11, 2018
Facial recognition technology won't work in China; the striking resemblance between them is an overkill.

The facial recognition in apple iPhone X is not a reliable choice of security amongst East Asians.

Re: Chinese Police Starts Wearing Smart Glasses With Facial Recognition by Tender1(m): 3:12pm On Feb 11, 2018
12submarine:

You have even gone too far. Does he even know what it means?

LMFAO

2 Likes

Re: Chinese Police Starts Wearing Smart Glasses With Facial Recognition by Beremx(f): 3:13pm On Feb 11, 2018
LOVEGINO:
na police go even sell am for criminals so DAT dem go use am take knw any security agency wey dey after dem.
lol.. You talk true

1 Like

Re: Chinese Police Starts Wearing Smart Glasses With Facial Recognition by Donflamingo: 3:14pm On Feb 11, 2018
TechZiga:
Chinese security operatives have began to use smart glasses equipped with facial recognition technology to identify citizens. The new initiative is to help identify culprits, missing persons, or crime witnesses by scanning the faces of people in a crowd and areas where there are no CCTV cameras. Before now the country uses CCTV cameras that can identify citizens and even track their movements around, now the facial recognition sunglasses will help security personnel in both crowed area and areas where are no cameras.

While this may be a good initiative, some organisations are already criticizing the new move. One of such, is Amnesty International who believes that this will only help grow the country’s invasive surveillance.

The glasses are made by LLVision Technology Co., a Beijing-based company, but are currently in use at Zhengzhou, a large city in east-central China. The new glasses are being used by police officers in train stations to scan those traveling for the Chinese New Year Holiday. Report has it that seven suspects have been nabbed as well as 26 persons travelling with forged identifications. Report says that the glass cost ¥3999 which is about $636 around N230,000 per unit.

Source: http://www.techchairman.com/2018/02/chinese-police-starts-wearing-smart.html

For every news about snakes eating our money and rats destroying buharis office, there are 5 more talking about other countries leaving us 1000 years behind
Re: Chinese Police Starts Wearing Smart Glasses With Facial Recognition by kokomilala(m): 3:27pm On Feb 11, 2018
Old news. Since last week. They're moving a notch higher. NPF are still shamelessly carrying pieces of stuck about chasing motorists.
Re: Chinese Police Starts Wearing Smart Glasses With Facial Recognition by CoolAmbience(m): 3:31pm On Feb 11, 2018
GavelSlam:

Can you make it?

Thank you for asking him that question.

People are responsible for the advancement of any nation. The same cannot be said about us. People here only sit and criticise without wanting to work to bring about that 'new thing' they wish to see in Nigeria.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Chinese Police Starts Wearing Smart Glasses With Facial Recognition by YoungSharawy4444(m): 3:33pm On Feb 11, 2018
GavelSlam:

Can you make it?
9ja Done Suffer

1 Like

Re: Chinese Police Starts Wearing Smart Glasses With Facial Recognition by whirlwind7(m): 3:34pm On Feb 11, 2018
kstyle2:
Wow. Instead of the IG of police to go over there, see how it's done, weigh the benefits it has in curbing crime, the financial resources required for such, consider if such can be replicated here in Naija, he'll prefer to have commissioners of police 'settle' him steadily. We keep drifting backwards

You are running faster than your shadow grin

For such technology to be halfway useful, you need to have a solid database of the citizens and aliens in foreigners country first.
That data (which will include a 3D image of each person) is what the facial recognition glasses will be connected to, in order for it to come up with a positive match.

Nigeria doesn't have the data of up to 25% of its citizens yet. Even it doesn't have an accurate population figure, to begin with.
Re: Chinese Police Starts Wearing Smart Glasses With Facial Recognition by Trypant(f): 3:35pm On Feb 11, 2018
EbukaHades10:
Can this happen in my country?

My brother abi sister, can it?
Re: Chinese Police Starts Wearing Smart Glasses With Facial Recognition by CoolAmbience(m): 3:35pm On Feb 11, 2018
EbukaHades10:
No. Even if I can,i won't b4 ur govt brand me a terrorist

Abeg go sit down, you no get talk.

You think if you do, you will be the first to birth something ingenious in Nigeria.

You seem to know nothing about legacy.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Chinese Police Starts Wearing Smart Glasses With Facial Recognition by no1madman(m): 3:36pm On Feb 11, 2018
EbukaHades10:
U mean "kountry"
Re: Chinese Police Starts Wearing Smart Glasses With Facial Recognition by macaphan007(m): 3:42pm On Feb 11, 2018
The New World Order gradually taking shape,the world will soon become a policed society soon.
Re: Chinese Police Starts Wearing Smart Glasses With Facial Recognition by Diso60090(m): 3:43pm On Feb 11, 2018
EbukaHades10:

Your country need to start from somewhere
Re: Chinese Police Starts Wearing Smart Glasses With Facial Recognition by Nobody: 3:46pm On Feb 11, 2018
Nothing new. This was already tested in dubai a long time ago. The network needed to sync the huge database is a major setback to this technology. This is surely a failed project for now. Still being used n dubai on patrol cars but the mobile glasses is still something of the future.
Re: Chinese Police Starts Wearing Smart Glasses With Facial Recognition by KingsleyCEO: 3:47pm On Feb 11, 2018
Permit me to bring this home.

Nigeria police force to begin wearing smart glass in 2090, the smart glass will tell how much you have in your pocket. This will go along way to settle issue of "no change" between motorist and the police, a situation that sometimes result to avoidable shootings.

According to the police PRO, once this takes effect, the killing of civilians like in the recent one that happened in Edo will easily be avoided.

1 Like

Re: Chinese Police Starts Wearing Smart Glasses With Facial Recognition by tballeyy(m): 3:49pm On Feb 11, 2018
For advance country only, not meant in the zoo
Re: Chinese Police Starts Wearing Smart Glasses With Facial Recognition by CoolAmbience(m): 3:54pm On Feb 11, 2018
whirlwind7:

You are running faster than your shadow grin

For such technology to be halfway useful, you need to have a solid database of the citizens and aliens in foreigners country first.
That data (which will include a 3D image of each person) is what the facial recognition glasses will be connected to, in order for it to come up with a positive match.

Nigeria doesn't have the data of up to 25% of its citizens yet. Even it doesn't have an accurate population figure, to begin with.

Your stat of less than 25% captured data of Nigerian citizens is ridiculous.

Close to 100million or more Nigerians who use telecom services are captured by the NCC. What about data kept by the Banks, NIMC, INEC, NPC, FRSC, NIS, JAMB, WAEC, Universities etc?? I don't see how these data can't be harmonized. People who aren't already accounted for can be identified and included. I bet that would even be less than the 25% you mentioned.

As for our population figure being inaccurate, it's the same elsewhere. Population figures are only estimates, hence cannot be accurate.
Re: Chinese Police Starts Wearing Smart Glasses With Facial Recognition by GMBuhari: 4:02pm On Feb 11, 2018
Very Shitty excuse

EbukaHades10:
No. Even if I can,i won't b4 ur govt brand me a terrorist
Re: Chinese Police Starts Wearing Smart Glasses With Facial Recognition by MTKbudapest(m): 4:07pm On Feb 11, 2018
Such development can never take place in a country like zoogeria.
Re: Chinese Police Starts Wearing Smart Glasses With Facial Recognition by tyup(m): 4:07pm On Feb 11, 2018
EbukaHades10:
Ignoramus ko Iggy azalea ni. U wey no be Ignoramus,why u no go make am? Abeg,shift make i no dey smell yeye thing

Lmao grin grin yeeee my belle o
Re: Chinese Police Starts Wearing Smart Glasses With Facial Recognition by otr1(m): 4:09pm On Feb 11, 2018
kstyle2:
Wow. Instead of the IG of police to go over there, see how it's done, weigh the benefits it has in curbing crime, the financial resources required for such, consider if such can be replicated here in Naija, he'll prefer to have commissioners of police 'settle' him steadily. We keep drifting backwards
Replicated you say?
There are many things that has to be fixed before we even dream of using a face recognition device..
Re: Chinese Police Starts Wearing Smart Glasses With Facial Recognition by tyup(m): 4:17pm On Feb 11, 2018
Ishilove:
Oh Nigeria, Nigeria, Nigeria!! Since Friday we have not had power in my hood, so how can we catch up with these industrial world powers?

No fuel

Inadequate infrastructure

Record breaking mass poverty

Technologically backward

Lecturers are perennially on strike

We are still importing matches.

Snakes sef have joined politicians in stealing money

Why is my beloved shithole country so hopeless and totally backward??

There is no hope! None at all!!

Lmao grin grin idiot

chai my belle o

1 Like

Re: Chinese Police Starts Wearing Smart Glasses With Facial Recognition by Twistor(m): 4:29pm On Feb 11, 2018
hopilo:

Possible with state police
which state? ekiti,zamfara,bayelsa,ebonyi abi sokoto.....
Re: Chinese Police Starts Wearing Smart Glasses With Facial Recognition by lookingfly: 4:34pm On Feb 11, 2018
E go sweet to be police for this country oooo wink
Re: Chinese Police Starts Wearing Smart Glasses With Facial Recognition by Constantiney: 4:36pm On Feb 11, 2018
Kotodoctor:
End time. Make una no worry. Shebi bible tell una..

All yiu smart atheist. No worry. Them go soon give una number. UNA go still de there de rake.

If the anti christ will come, it may just be from our collective fear and mutual hate.
Does this even make sense to you? Mother of god.
Re: Chinese Police Starts Wearing Smart Glasses With Facial Recognition by Apination(m): 4:42pm On Feb 11, 2018
And we are here fighting over cattle colony, God who did we offend undecided
Re: Chinese Police Starts Wearing Smart Glasses With Facial Recognition by godwin120alex: 4:47pm On Feb 11, 2018
Yes it's possible in Nigeria if Mbuhari wins in 2019
Re: Chinese Police Starts Wearing Smart Glasses With Facial Recognition by akigbemaru: 5:01pm On Feb 11, 2018
TechZiga:
Chinese security operatives have began to use smart glasses equipped with facial recognition technology to identify citizens. The new initiative is to help identify culprits, missing persons, or crime witnesses by scanning the faces of people in a crowd and areas where there are no CCTV cameras. Before now the country uses CCTV cameras that can identify citizens and even track their movements around, now the facial recognition sunglasses will help security personnel in both crowed area and areas where are no cameras.

While this may be a good initiative, some organisations are already criticizing the new move. One of such, is Amnesty International who believes that this will only help grow the country’s invasive surveillance.

The glasses are made by LLVision Technology Co., a Beijing-based company, but are currently in use at Zhengzhou, a large city in east-central China. The new glasses are being used by police officers in train stations to scan those traveling for the Chinese New Year Holiday. Report has it that seven suspects have been nabbed as well as 26 persons travelling with forged identifications. Report says that the glass cost ¥3999 which is about $636 around N230,000 per unit.

Source: http://www.techchairman.com/2018/02/chinese-police-starts-wearing-smart.html
Re: Chinese Police Starts Wearing Smart Glasses With Facial Recognition by manmidtexy(m): 5:04pm On Feb 11, 2018
@ Gavelslam - Very Good question.

Some people even expect the government to clean their house.

If they really go to school to learn without wasting the teachers efforts, energy, precious time. They are suppose to know that, every nation is built by the input or contributions of all and sundry.

GavelSlam:

Can you make it?

1 Like

Re: Chinese Police Starts Wearing Smart Glasses With Facial Recognition by OutOfTheAshes(m): 5:05pm On Feb 11, 2018
Sai Baba!, Buhari till 2099... cheesy
Re: Chinese Police Starts Wearing Smart Glasses With Facial Recognition by Nobody: 5:13pm On Feb 11, 2018
after God, fear Chinese!
Re: Chinese Police Starts Wearing Smart Glasses With Facial Recognition by MIKOLOWISKA: 5:21pm On Feb 11, 2018
GavelSlam:

Ignoramuses always have excuses.
ignorami

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Gambians Leaving Their Country Over Imminent War As Jammeh Refuses To Step Down / 28-yr-old 'grandmother' Who Just Became A 'great-grandmother’ / Emmanuel Macron, Justin Trudeau, Boris Johnson Caught On Tape Gossiping Trump

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.