Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,318 members, 7,864,519 topics. Date: Tuesday, 18 June 2024 at 07:45 PM

RE: An Open Letter To Donald Duke By Donald Duke - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / RE: An Open Letter To Donald Duke By Donald Duke (1350 Views)

Court Acquits Teacher For Wrong Accused Of Stealing $110k By Donald Duke’s Wife / An Open Letter To Donald Duke By Deji Yesufu / Coalition For Nigeria – The Urgency Of Now! By Donald Duke (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

RE: An Open Letter To Donald Duke By Donald Duke by VBCampaign: 10:44pm On Feb 17, 2018
RE: AN OPEN LETTER TO DONALD DUKE

by Donald Duke

Dear Deji,

Thank you for your letter, albeit an open one, but certainly the sentiments stated therein largely reflect the thoughts and views of several others. So I assume you speak for a large segment of concerned Nigerians as it were.

I recently wrote an op-ed published in several dailies titled the “The Urgency of Now,” (http://www.championnews.com.ng/93449-2/), which largely addresses the issues you raised in your letter. The concept of a movement is a non-partisan group of people sufficiently concerned about the politics and direction of our country without necessarily wanting or desiring to get involved in partisanship, that is, plotting one group against another.

I understand and appreciate that my association with the Coalition for Nigeria Movement and, to some, association with President Obasanjo, is both confusing and disturbing. I get it. Others have said to me, “Why don’t you just run on the platform of the PDP?” After all, the structure already exists. But the question is: Whose structure is it? How viable are my chances and how is the party perceived generally? Let me start from the latter.

The PDP failed woefully to rebrand itself at its last party congress. It squandered an opportunity to embrace a new generation of electorates that have been locked out of the political sphere. Secondly, it has unconstitutionally zoned its presidency; and third, the party’s structure has been privatized. The party is essentially owned by a few who have failed to learn the lessons of their immediate past history and folly.

The same few who foisted the failed immediate past leadership on the party have now foisted the current. It’s not about what suits the party, but what suits a few. Logically, you have wondered how a movement formed at this time can metamorphose into a winning platform. Firstly, should the movement gather the necessary momentum, it ought to transmute into a party.

All parties or political platforms are movements of some sort. I’m betting on the disenchantment of a significant section of our population who would like something different and the sizeable number that I am aware can no longer find accommodation within their existing parties. By this I mean those whom the current political space has no plans to accommodate. Can we coalesce in sufficient numbers and spread to make an impact? I do not have the answer to that question as it may require a crystal ball.

But I’m inspired by a quote from the Rev. Jesse Jackson when asked by a reporter during the 1984 Democratic National Convention whether he thought he stood a chance at winning, and he replied, “If I run I might lose; if I don’t, I’m guaranteed to lose”. My point here is simple. We, a whole lot of us, that is, sit back and whine but end up doing nothing. Some do not even bother obtaining a voters card, a basic currency for a political transaction. Yet we complain. We obviously are the losers, as the real winners are those who wish to maintain the status quo knowing that we, the losers, are too lethargic to do anything about it.

With respect to your question about my plans for the country, my plans are predicated on vision and more importantly the WILL to effect the vision. Visions can be adopted but WILL is innate. Whatever success we achieved in Cross River despite extremely lean finances was born of the will to succeed. My plans for Nigeria are encapsulated in one phrase, “enhanced productivity of the Nigerian.” This will be achieved primarily through skills enhancement; broader than basic education; accessible and affordable healthcare; world class infrastructure; and embracing technology. When the average Nigerian is productively engaged, security is enhanced. This letter does not afford adequate space for elucidation and elaboration.

In my inaugural address as governor, I stated that public office is a trust and the highest calling that could be afforded one. That has been my creed of service. Besides, all I have, which I inherited, is my name without stain. I intend to bequeath same without blemish unto my heirs. To the best of my estimation, I have, to date, done so.

For the purpose of clarity, yes I intend to offer myself to serve our Nation and you should too. Service to our nation surpasses being on the ballot paper alone; it entails a conscious sense of ownership. We cannot sit on the sidelines anymore. The stakes are just too high to do that.

My regards,

Donald.

Postscript:

Mr. Donald Duke was the former Governor of Cross River State, Nigeria, from 1999-2007. He was a two term Governor. He is today vying to be President of Nigeria. In this letter, sent privately to me by email, he replies an earlier open letter I wrote to him. Here is a link to that letter: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1530907966985408&id=1505609702848568

Source: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1541407089268829&id=1505609702848568

CC: Seun, Lalasticlala, Mynd44

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: RE: An Open Letter To Donald Duke By Donald Duke by Mimee803: 12:32am On Feb 18, 2018
Still not giving us anything...What party are you campaigning under?
Re: RE: An Open Letter To Donald Duke By Donald Duke by BlackMbakara1(m): 2:41am On Feb 18, 2018
He made the rural areas of cross river better abi? grin

I hear say lean resources? Cross river use to have oil wells during his tenure and oil price wasn't bad...

I'm yet to see a Nigeria leader transform rural areas to become an urban area with funtional basic amenities. When they do that, i will take them serious.

Doing cosmetic work on a capital city is what they brag about development...

1 Like

Re: RE: An Open Letter To Donald Duke By Donald Duke by Nigeriapen(m): 2:48am On Feb 18, 2018
Let's give him a try, he does that at rural settlement lets give him a chance also in urban settlement and see what he can perform....
CC; nigeriapenmedia
Re: RE: An Open Letter To Donald Duke By Donald Duke by Cromagnon: 3:12am On Feb 18, 2018
BlackMbakara1:

I hear say lean resources? Cross river use to have oil wells during his tenure and oil price wasn't bad...

I'm yet to see a Nigeria leader transform rural areas to become an urban area with funtional basic amenities. When they do that, i will take them serious.

you de mind dem
nigerians so gullible
Re: RE: An Open Letter To Donald Duke By Donald Duke by Nobody: 3:57am On Feb 18, 2018
Anything better than what we have now even marginally is welcome. To me Donald Duck is a great idea.

5 Likes

Re: RE: An Open Letter To Donald Duke By Donald Duke by DerideGull(m): 4:50am On Feb 18, 2018
Fool trying to be smart.
Re: RE: An Open Letter To Donald Duke By Donald Duke by ProjectNaija(m): 8:00am On Feb 18, 2018
Duke is certainly the best Nigeria has to offer for now. Let's support him to realise the Nigeria of our dreams.

3 Likes

Re: RE: An Open Letter To Donald Duke By Donald Duke by ProjectNaija(m): 8:03am On Feb 18, 2018
BlackMbakara1:

Evidently you know very little about Donald Duke, read through the link on my signature and avail yourself.
Re: RE: An Open Letter To Donald Duke By Donald Duke by BlackMbakara1(m): 12:06pm On Feb 18, 2018
ProjectNaija:

Evidently you know very little about Donald Duke, read through the link on my signature and avail yourself.

Just give me the name of a rural area that was urbanize with functional basic amenities during his tenure as a governor...
Re: RE: An Open Letter To Donald Duke By Donald Duke by dollarcoolcat(m): 12:33pm On Feb 18, 2018
we need another political set up and ideology, the present politics isn't for the ordinary, and this same set of politicians can't take us to the glorious land we all seek.
Re: RE: An Open Letter To Donald Duke By Donald Duke by VBCampaign: 2:33pm On Feb 18, 2018
dollarcoolcat:
we need another political set up and ideology, the present politics isn't for the ordinary, and this same set of politicians can't take us to the glorious land we all seek.

What do you suggest?
Re: RE: An Open Letter To Donald Duke By Donald Duke by dollarcoolcat(m): 2:43pm On Feb 18, 2018
VBCampaign:

What do you suggest?

As youths we're the solution to this con3's predicaments, let location ourselves and form a violence free movement.
Re: RE: An Open Letter To Donald Duke By Donald Duke by VBCampaign: 5:56pm On Feb 18, 2018
dollarcoolcat:

As youths we're the solution to this con3's predicaments, let location ourselves and form a violence free movement.

You have not given me a worthy alternative.

The reality of politics, especially politics in Nigeria, is that it thrives on stucture, personality and money. You cannot build something on nothing. I ask for an alternative, you are suggesting youths. Where are the youths?

Duke is not perfect. But my interaction with him shows that this very youth element in enshrined in his plans.

If we do not what we want, we can work with what we have till we get what we want.

So far Duke is indeed the most youthful of all the present contenders.

4 Likes

Re: RE: An Open Letter To Donald Duke By Donald Duke by VBCampaign: 5:57pm On Feb 18, 2018
Seun, Lalsticlala and others, do consider this letter for your front page.
Re: RE: An Open Letter To Donald Duke By Donald Duke by CharleyBright(m): 6:14pm On Feb 18, 2018
Far better, more Energetic and far more brilliant than the washed and clueless old cargo in Aso Rock.
Nigerians either have to board a Speed Train driven by a Visionary Driver OR continue to hang on inside a rickety lorry driven by a dumb clueless old cargo.
The Choice is theirs

2 Likes

Re: RE: An Open Letter To Donald Duke By Donald Duke by papoudaupolos: 6:24pm On Feb 18, 2018
Donald Duke is believable.
We can really work for him

1 Like

Re: RE: An Open Letter To Donald Duke By Donald Duke by TheKingIsHere: 6:48pm On Feb 18, 2018
Mimee803:
Still not giving us anything...What party are you campaigning under?

In due time it will be revealed.

Do you want Buhari plans to destroy the party to work?

Lalasticlala food is ready o

2 Likes

Re: RE: An Open Letter To Donald Duke By Donald Duke by dollarcoolcat(m): 7:03pm On Feb 18, 2018
VBCampaign:

You have not given me a worthy alternative.

The reality of politics, especially politics in Nigeria, is that it thrives on stucture, personality and money. You cannot build something on nothing. I ask for an alternative, you are suggesting youths. Where are the youths?

Duke is not perfect. But my interaction with him shows that this very youth element in enshrined in his plans.

If we do not what we want, we can work with what we have till we get what we want.

So far Duke is indeed the most youthful of all the present contenders.

Donald Duke is a credible candidate judging by his past records in state politics. Im not against his candidature what I was trying to say was, "we the youths of this con3 should be more active in politics, let have One voice and One goal" .

To be honest if he (Donald) doesn't have a strong youths support frm all angle combine with his old loyalists, do you think he will surpass the primary election?
Re: RE: An Open Letter To Donald Duke By Donald Duke by ProjectNaija(m): 10:21am On Feb 19, 2018
dollarcoolcat:

Donald Duke is a credible candidate judging by his past records in state politics. Im not against his candidature what I was trying to say was, "we the youths of this con3 should be more active in politics, let have One voice and One goal" .

To be honest if he (Donald) doesn't have a strong youths support frm all angle combine with his old loyalists, do you think he will surpass the primary election?

Donald Duke is going to run based on a party that will be sponsored by the coalition for Nigeria movement. I don't think primaries should be an issue because he is the promoter of the coalition and it's focal point.

1 Like

Re: RE: An Open Letter To Donald Duke By Donald Duke by MisterSols(m): 11:47am On Feb 19, 2018
Make haste Oga Duke

You never know your arsenal until you've fired shots

Re: RE: An Open Letter To Donald Duke By Donald Duke by VBCampaign: 6:28pm On Feb 19, 2018
MisterSols:
Make haste Oga Duke
You never know your arsenal until you've fired shots

Nice one
Re: RE: An Open Letter To Donald Duke By Donald Duke by ProjectNaija(m): 3:25pm On Feb 22, 2018
I am surprised this thread did not make front page. undecided

(1) (Reply)

Attention Lagos State Government And To Whom It May Concern / ''IGP Was A Victim Of Dark Spirits And Satanic Forces''...fani Kayode (video) / Between Awka And Nnewi,.....which Is Bigger?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.