Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,395 members, 7,815,847 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:24 PM

Think Twice Before Going For Masters Degree (m.sc) - Vincent Adeoba - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Think Twice Before Going For Masters Degree (m.sc) - Vincent Adeoba (50574 Views)

1st Class Certificate Without Employability Skills Is A Disaster- Vincent Adeoba / Graduating With Second Class Lower Is No Longer An Option - Vincent Adeoba / Lady Who Got Pregnant At 17 Obtains Her Masters Degree At 24 (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Think Twice Before Going For Masters Degree (m.sc) - Vincent Adeoba by Litblogger: 7:48am On Feb 23, 2018
I must go.

2 Likes

Re: Think Twice Before Going For Masters Degree (m.sc) - Vincent Adeoba by tenmariner: 7:48am On Feb 23, 2018
femidejulius:
Wonderful nonsense

There's nothing wrong having a Masters Degree at the age of 21 without any job experience if possible.

You can always go for other masters degree when you start work if you like.

If u had read properly, u did noticed the op stated that 21 years age limit is the best for master enrollment with or without a job experience.

2 Likes

Re: Think Twice Before Going For Masters Degree (m.sc) - Vincent Adeoba by millionboi2: 7:49am On Feb 23, 2018
Lol

Education is now a nightmare.
Re: Think Twice Before Going For Masters Degree (m.sc) - Vincent Adeoba by Aden777(m): 7:49am On Feb 23, 2018
geekybabe:
smiley
bros, if u have d opportunity for Master pls do with immediate effect. na when u get some kinda job u go understand.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Think Twice Before Going For Masters Degree (m.sc) - Vincent Adeoba by HAminat(f): 7:50am On Feb 23, 2018
If you oi don't have a source of income. Go and hustle. Masters is an over hyped feat.

2 Likes

Re: Think Twice Before Going For Masters Degree (m.sc) - Vincent Adeoba by geekybabe(f): 7:50am On Feb 23, 2018
flyca:
For a lady, it's a dicey situation.

By the time of NYSC, most ladies want to be married and "settle down".

Apparently not all ladies. It's really shallow to think marriage is d next thing after nysc. What is the lady taking into the marriage? Her bsc? Or her fine face?

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Think Twice Before Going For Masters Degree (m.sc) - Vincent Adeoba by oyetunder(m): 7:51am On Feb 23, 2018
Treasure17:
Nice one. We've heard you but ain't going for any masters .
Yes o. We are not even ready to think one and half or thrice...

1 Like

Re: Think Twice Before Going For Masters Degree (m.sc) - Vincent Adeoba by Muzikluva(m): 7:52am On Feb 23, 2018
Masters degree is overrated!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Think Twice Before Going For Masters Degree (m.sc) - Vincent Adeoba by Otatom(m): 7:53am On Feb 23, 2018
Mostly, people go for masters programs cos there's no available job forgetting that even with the Masters chances are slim. Everything in Nigeria needs connection either to your creator or man.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Think Twice Before Going For Masters Degree (m.sc) - Vincent Adeoba by Nobody: 7:54am On Feb 23, 2018
K
Re: Think Twice Before Going For Masters Degree (m.sc) - Vincent Adeoba by easzypeaszy(m): 7:54am On Feb 23, 2018
sexdoll:

You dey mind the idiots?

Foolish people everywhere doing stupid things just because others are doing it.

What exactly are you mastering?

Oh I see...

You are mastering how to get a higher paying job!

Fools.
dont be folly..cus i hate it wen u act like one...u not a kid..try use soft words..maturity is it.
now let me ask u..are u also a graduate? den if u r....what is expected of a master graduate is expected of u..masters is just let me now specialize..and remember any education u getting in Nigeria is out dated..imagine the project i wanted enbacking on was a 400level practical class in a sch in india that took them 5hours to do...wen i took it to my prof he laughed n said..5 years u wont graduate bc most of the equipmnt r not available in Nigeria..

4 Likes

Re: Think Twice Before Going For Masters Degree (m.sc) - Vincent Adeoba by sisisioge: 7:54am On Feb 23, 2018
Yeah, there is such thing as part-time studies. You can start whichever comes first, masters or a job...all join.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Think Twice Before Going For Masters Degree (m.sc) - Vincent Adeoba by Nobody: 7:57am On Feb 23, 2018
I always tell anyone that wants to listen: get the work experience first, that's paramount. You can study for your Masters degree or Professional Certificate courses while working.

With the proliferation of Degrees everywhere, nowadays when I am invited to be part of an interview panel to interview a candidate that will eventually work in my department/with me/ or for me- the area I concentrate on is the candidate's work experience. I don't focus on your degree certificates because all through my years of working I have found out that a lot of the candidates that present good degree certificates from fantastic schools are the ones that are difficult to train and have bad work ethic.

Work experience over every other thing.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Think Twice Before Going For Masters Degree (m.sc) - Vincent Adeoba by FarahAideed: 7:57am On Feb 23, 2018
femi4:
Only in Nigeria do people go for masters for the wrong reasons like to get a job

Nigerians get an education for all the wrong reasons
Re: Think Twice Before Going For Masters Degree (m.sc) - Vincent Adeoba by Intrepid01(m): 7:57am On Feb 23, 2018
onlyme07:
I don't subcribe to your submission with lots of reasons.

First,presently in Nigeria,the labour market is saturated with Bsc from all corners and in order to have an edge,you need to proof you're still learning which Masters can do.

Secondly,some Universities in the labour market are not well recognised, hence some applications not attended to. I have witnessed tbis a number of times. The moment your Uni is not UI,Lag,Convenant,Babcock,Afe and the likes,you can only proove your worth with a second degree from all any of these Ivy universities.

Thirdly,very soon, Bsc will turn to SSCE since you can obtain it,if you have money but Masters Cert o)is a little bit difficult to buy (not saying you can't buy it) because all those Drs and Profs will make it difficult.

Furthermore,it takes the grace of God to combine Masters and work together especially if you work in a private coy. You should go for your Masters the moment you grad,it will show your employer you will require to leave office and attend classes.

Finally,go for your Mastes if you intend going into academics. It is the best edge over others.

I have lots but let me stop here and advise those who intend doing their Masters . Make hay while the sun shine.

Bros, your points are so flawed....since have been working for like 8 yrs now...inhave never seen anybody asking for Masters degree as an added advantage...even if it was obtained from abroad....you can ask experienced people around...so going for Masters does not in anyway boost your chances at all..intact it reduces it.

You also said some universities are not recognised at all, maybe those universities are not accredited by N.U.C....the moment you have a university degree with a minimum of second class upper you have a good chance , like others to get a job. I do tell people that to increase your chance of getting a job in Nigeria, just go to a university and graduate with 2:1, the course of study does not matter and you'll get a job.

With your third point, I can safely conclude that you are one of those carrying masters around thinking it gives you an edge...go and ask, it doesn't in anyway....you said B.Sc. will be like WAEC, for real? do you even know the basic qualification for getting a job anywhere in the world?.....you are simply a joker.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Think Twice Before Going For Masters Degree (m.sc) - Vincent Adeoba by nrexzy: 8:00am On Feb 23, 2018
Go to Babcock University if u intend to know when ur graduating..
Re: Think Twice Before Going For Masters Degree (m.sc) - Vincent Adeoba by Nobody: 8:00am On Feb 23, 2018
femi4:
Only in Nigeria do people go for masters for the wrong reasons like to get a job
instead of them to CREATE JOBS

1 Like

Re: Think Twice Before Going For Masters Degree (m.sc) - Vincent Adeoba by Nobody: 8:04am On Feb 23, 2018
[size=14pt]N0nsenss,Op I am going for msc because I want to be a lecturer.You heard me?
You are here writing ru.bbish.I lost lecturing opportunity because I couldnt produce Msc in view proof.Talk about yourself and not others[/size]

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Think Twice Before Going For Masters Degree (m.sc) - Vincent Adeoba by myettiallah: 8:05am On Feb 23, 2018
Stupid post.....

Get an MSc for added advantage..
I gained admission into the university in 2011 at 20 years. I thought I will graduate by the age of 23. In developed countries, you don’t need to pray and fast to graduate on time

How can some one enter school at age 20 and expect to graduate ate age 23....
Even in harvard u cant even grad wirhin dT duration
It is either this Op was frustrated while in school. undecided
Re: Think Twice Before Going For Masters Degree (m.sc) - Vincent Adeoba by flyca: 8:05am On Feb 23, 2018
geekybabe:

Apparently not all ladies. It's really shallow to think marriage is d next thing after nysc. What is the lady taking into the marriage? Her bsc? Or her fine face?

Nne nawa for you o. You no even cool down read my post. Na fight? You have a point but it's off tangent to what I'm saying.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Think Twice Before Going For Masters Degree (m.sc) - Vincent Adeoba by Supremor(m): 8:06am On Feb 23, 2018
op has really made valid points, I've always argued along same line. While I believe so much in formal education, I'm always of the opinion we go for graduate programs for the wrong reasons. Education ordinarily shouldn't be seen primarily as a means to an end. In saner parts of the world, people do graduate programs out of passion for knowledge but the case is different here in Nigeria. While I have a masters degree myself and wouldn't discourage anyone from pursuing higher degrees as I still intend to go further, I do believe it should be for the right reasons. Like I always say, education is a very big joke here in Nigeria especially for those of us who call ourselves graduates of science courses. When you attempt to evaluate how much our knowledge has been able to impact the society then you'll feel sorry for the kind of degrees we claim to obtain. I feel ashame for us when graduates of Mechanical engineering don't have any practical knowledge about automobiles, not even generator let alone assembling one.
In summary, if you are interested regardless of the age, I do not see age as a deterrent, aside like the op pointed for those who want to pursue it to improve their employability with multinationals. That been said, education is essence isn't a waste but personally I'll take self-education over formal education anyday anytime.

7 Likes

Re: Think Twice Before Going For Masters Degree (m.sc) - Vincent Adeoba by JARUSHUB: 8:07am On Feb 23, 2018

1 Like

Re: Think Twice Before Going For Masters Degree (m.sc) - Vincent Adeoba by djackson(m): 8:09am On Feb 23, 2018
It's better to be an entrepreneur (if you have a business)and do your Masters program at the same time

1 Like

Re: Think Twice Before Going For Masters Degree (m.sc) - Vincent Adeoba by Valentinejr(m): 8:13am On Feb 23, 2018
Click here to check out 20 Ongoing Scholarship Opportunities for Nigerian Students

See deadline before applying.

Share this comment if you're concerned

Thanks in advance

Re: Think Twice Before Going For Masters Degree (m.sc) - Vincent Adeoba by sonsomegrigbo: 8:15am On Feb 23, 2018
onlyme07:
I don't subcribe to your submission with lots of reasons.

First,presently in Nigeria,the labour market is saturated with Bsc from all corners and in order to have an edge,you need to proof you're still learning which Masters can do.

Secondly,some Universities in the labour market are not well recognised, hence some applications not attended to. I have witnessed tbis a number of times. The moment your Uni is not UI,Lag,Convenant,Babcock,Afe and the likes,you can only proove your worth with a second degree from all any of these Ivy universities.

Thirdly,very soon, Bsc will turn to SSCE since you can obtain it,if you have money but Masters Cert o)is a little bit difficult to buy (not saying you can't buy it) because all those Drs and Profs will make it difficult.

Furthermore,it takes the grace of God to combine Masters and work together especially if you work in a private coy. You should go for your Masters the moment you grad,it will show your employer you will require to leave office and attend classes.

Finally,go for your Mastes if you intend going into academics. It is the best edge over others.

I have lots but let me stop here and advise those who intend doing their Masters . Make hay while the sun shine.

Bro, always seek knowledge before you talk.

The OP is well conversant with happening in Nigeria. He said it almost all.

BTW, did you just said it is not possible to obtain masters while being employed. Go and do your findings. Over 95 percent of bankers who have masters obtained it while on the job including me.

Just like John Aboh, the former MD of union Bank, I obtained my first degree there too since I was employed as an office assistant with my SSCE.

The school you attended does not matter at all. It's just one of those flimsy factors used to disqualify unwanted applicants.
Re: Think Twice Before Going For Masters Degree (m.sc) - Vincent Adeoba by stainless239(f): 8:20am On Feb 23, 2018
flyca:
For a lady, it's a dicey situation.

By the time of NYSC, most ladies want to be married and "settle down". Many don't want to keep going back to their parents after that age. And yes, many parents prefer this too, as it lessens their burdern.

If a lady lives home for Masters abroad at 26, 27 without a concrete relationship, rumor has it that her chances of getting married after she comes back declines.

After her studies, will she be able to get a job in the country she has travelled to? That will be a good hit. Will she find love there? Best! But the chances of these events are slim too. So she might be heading back home.

If she comes back, will she get the "dream job"? Will she still find a corresponding "dream man"? It's dicey joor.

Just follow your heart sha. What works for one person, may not work for another.
As for me, I left for my masters at 26. And now, four years after, no regrets at all. grin

Errmmm...so did you get the dream job and man
*asking for a friend*
Re: Think Twice Before Going For Masters Degree (m.sc) - Vincent Adeoba by Missdemeanor(f): 8:21am On Feb 23, 2018
So this op came here to discourage people with stupid reasons
First, you go for a masters degree to increase ur knowledge and to specify in a particular field..... Its mostly in nigeria that people go to school with the aim of jobs not knowledge.
Second, growth in anyway should always be encouraged not discouraged, even if u never use the masters degree after school, it is still yours, frame it and hang it in your house.
Lastly, do what ever you know is best for you and not what people tell you

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Think Twice Before Going For Masters Degree (m.sc) - Vincent Adeoba by sonsomegrigbo: 8:21am On Feb 23, 2018
chyy5:
[size=14pt]N0nsenss,Op I am going for msc because I want to be a lecturer.You heard me?
You are here writing ru.bbish.I lost lecturing opportunity because I couldnt produce Msc in view proof.Talk about yourself and not others[/size]

Reason many graduates are not employable.
Go and read the post again or get someone to help you with the comprehension.

4 Likes

Re: Think Twice Before Going For Masters Degree (m.sc) - Vincent Adeoba by flyca: 8:23am On Feb 23, 2018
stainless239:

Errmmm...so did you get the dream job and man
*asking for a friend*

Yes to both. I did kiss
Re: Think Twice Before Going For Masters Degree (m.sc) - Vincent Adeoba by sexdoll: 8:25am On Feb 23, 2018
easzypeaszy:
dont be folly..cus i hate it wen u act like one...u not a kid..try use soft words..maturity is it.
now let me ask u..are u also a graduate? den if u r....what is expected of a master graduate is expected of u..masters is just let me now specialize..and remember any education u getting in Nigeria is out dated..imagine the project i wanted enbacking on was a 400level practical class in a sch in india that took them 5hours to do...wen i took it to my prof he laughed n said..5 years u wont graduate bc most of the equipmnt r not available in Nigeria..

My friend leave dat thing Abeg.

Most of you mastering are just mastering for the certificates with the hope of getting more pay.

You are mastering to specialize in what exactly?

And yet after all the specializations we are still where we are!

Is that not a big shame?!

Paper junkies!

After wasting all your productive years trying to get your worthless BSc, you now go back to the same system to get another worthless MSc!

Does that not make you look like a capital class idiot?

Masters my _arse!

See let me tell you, instead of going for your useless masters program, why not use the time and your money too to go and master something practical... something that really works... something the society actually needs?!

Nigeria is suffering from too many frequent power outages, what can be done about that?

Our educational system is down and out, how can it be resuscitated?

The world is moving into IT, how prepared is the Nigerian youth?

Fuel scarcity still bites, what are the alternatives?

These and more should be the type of things that you should be focusing upon and not to go back to school just to acquire another useless certificate!

14 Likes 5 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Meet Sackey Percy Ghanaian Dancing Teacher Who Dances With Students After Class / Secondary Students Celebrate Graduation By Carrying Their Colleague Up / Things Most Of Us Think Are The Same But Are Not (pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.