Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,361 members, 7,815,774 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:05 PM

Think Twice Before Going For Masters Degree (m.sc) - Vincent Adeoba - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Think Twice Before Going For Masters Degree (m.sc) - Vincent Adeoba (50573 Views)

1st Class Certificate Without Employability Skills Is A Disaster- Vincent Adeoba / Graduating With Second Class Lower Is No Longer An Option - Vincent Adeoba / Lady Who Got Pregnant At 17 Obtains Her Masters Degree At 24 (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Think Twice Before Going For Masters Degree (m.sc) - Vincent Adeoba by LaudableXX: 2:57pm On Mar 02, 2018
omoelerin1:
Who is more confused and hopeless between you and I?
Someone who believes pursuing a Master's degree is wasting of money, time and energy. Aren't you aware you 're the most frustrated and hopeless being?

Please, if you are not privileged to go beyond your first degree or you have been destined that should be how far you can go in your academic life, leave others who are moving forward alone and do not discourage those who wish to go further.

They aren't responsible for your plights.

Here, you deserve these chilled bottles of cold drink. wink You talk am well!

Re: Think Twice Before Going For Masters Degree (m.sc) - Vincent Adeoba by davewhizy: 4:51pm On Mar 07, 2018
nurshah:

No sir, schooling is an added advantage and gives you that edge.. Even the top billionaires were drop outs so it means they went to school and when their business became so successful that they could not manage they dropped out..
So let them go to school, whilst in school date Wil l determine their next action
if you are not willing to go all out and categorically state what you want out of life, even if you become a business man after university, you'll just have to dance to the tunes of being average
Re: Think Twice Before Going For Masters Degree (m.sc) - Vincent Adeoba by gentlegenius(m): 8:00am On Apr 18, 2018
LaudableXX:

Oga, do not allow ignorance to be your downfall. sad Not everybody can be an entrepreneur. Some will still be employees, working for various companies. In fact, people believe the experience obtained while working for various firms, is usually quite useful when you decide to set up your own business outfit.

I doubt very strongly if you have ever conducted a survey in any bank to determine if their staff have a Masters' degree or not. You will be surprised to see that many of them do.

You even said: "Employers now are scared of employing master degree holders because they themselves don't have masters." Oga, stop lying. Unless the members on the interview panel or the employer, inform you that they do not have a Masters' degree, how would you know?

With the competition in the workplace, most people are scared of applying for a sabbatical, to leave their firms and go for a full-time Masters' degree, because they are not sure they will be re-absorbed into the company or that their jobs will still be there, when they get back. So it is better to get that Masters' degree, before joining paid employment.

And unless you have a very sympathetic and understanding boss, taking time off for lectures and exams while studying part-time, can be quite difficult.

As for my colleagues in the telecom company, sorry to disappoint you but two-thirds of them got their Masters degree, before joining the firm. sad

Finally, trying to judge everyone from your faulty perspective is highly flawed. I do not know the last time you spoke to any top HR person in a well structured corporate organisation, but if you think a BA or BSc is the only thing a graduate needs to get ahead in the business world, you are indeed, a joker. undecided
https://www.nairaland.com/4456631/why-academic-certificates-no-longer
Re: Think Twice Before Going For Masters Degree (m.sc) - Vincent Adeoba by gentlegenius(m): 8:02am On Apr 18, 2018
vadeoba:
I gained admission into the university in 2011 at 20 years. I thought I will graduate by the age of 23. In developed countries, you don’t need to pray and fast to graduate on time. In fact, I heard that you are told the day you will be graduating from the university right from your year 1 registration point in some countries.

But being a Nigerian who went to a government-owned university, my dream of graduating at 23 years never came through. I graduated from Obafemi Awolowo University and I don’t think I need to tell you the strong relationship between OAU and incessant strikes.

Within my first two months campus, I experienced my first strike action. The school management sent us home because of a proposed protest scheduled for our matriculation day. We didn’t resume until three months after. We proceeded again on ASUU strike in 2013 which lasted for six months. We had other internal strikes and I ended up spending close to five years for a course I should have spent less than four years for.

Graduating from the university in 2015, I stayed at home for another one year before I was mobilized for the compulsory National Youths Service (NYSC) which also lasted for another one year. I finished NYSC in 2017 and I was 26 years going to be 27 by the end of that year.

I had always been an entrepreneur right from campus and I was really doing well. I had made up my mind not to look for a job after NYSC, I just wanted to face my business and go for my masters degree because I knew my chances of getting a job was slim considering the 26 years age requirement by most of the employers of labour especially the big firms. In fact, many of them now request that you must be 25 years and below to submit application for their graduate trainee recruitments.

It took the wisdom and experience of my mentor for me to realize that going for masters degree at the age of 26 years without any job experience wasn’t the best for me. That is one of the reasons why I encourage youths to have mentors who can guide them along their career and life decisions.

If I had gone for masters, I would probably graduate at the age of 28 that is if there is no strike action within the two years and getting a good job at that age without previous experience will be be difficult.

At 28, most companies expect you to have nothing less than 2 years of experience and having M.sc. is not equivalent to that two years of experience.

You need to be strategic about going for masters degree if you are yet to get job experience and here are my advice:

1. If you are 23 years and below, going for masters if you don’t quickly get a job is cool
2. If you are 25 years and above, I will advise you to first get a job to get experience and do your masters degree later.
3. If your long-term goal is to end up in the academia as a lecturer, masters is cool.
4. If you don’t have that goal, writing professional exams may be better than going for masters immediately after graduation.
5. If your goal is to own a business later on, going for your masters may be the best decision.
6. Before going for masters, calculate the age you will be done with the program and look at the age requirement in your industry.
7. Life is about doing first thing first and you must know how to prioritize your life.

This is an advice from me, please feel free to disagree and share your views.

You may also want to read this https://www.nairaland.com/4358447/graduating-second-class-lower-no

#IamVincentAdeoba

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1849160375103415&id=100000284120324
https://www.nairaland.com/4456631/why-academic-certificates-no-longer

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Meet Sackey Percy Ghanaian Dancing Teacher Who Dances With Students After Class / Secondary Students Celebrate Graduation By Carrying Their Colleague Up / Things Most Of Us Think Are The Same But Are Not (pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.