Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,316 members, 7,819,072 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:52 AM

The Battle-Field Called “Lagos Traffic” - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / The Battle-Field Called “Lagos Traffic” (16891 Views)

Lagos Traffic- Life Inside The World's Worst Traffic Jam / Will Ambode’s 5000 New BRT Buses Solve The Lagos Traffic Challenge? (see PHOTOS) / Ambode Solving Lagos Traffic Problems With Common Sense (PHOTOS) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Battle-Field Called “Lagos Traffic” by olaboy1: 5:04pm On Feb 22, 2018
It will cost lagos state government around $350m/km to build a modern subway infrastructure. Lagos 2018 budget is around $2.7b (1.046 trillion Naira).

We need around $42b to build 120km subway across the state, and that’s 15.5 times Lagos 2018 budget. Nobody will loan Lagos that kind of money.

Only way to achieve this is bring in 42 investors of $1b each with a 10year tax break.

Now let’s do the maths on how long it will take to break even (ROI)

20,000 Naira monthly ticket all zones multiply by 5,000,000 steady subscribers = 100b Naira monthly

100x12 months = 1.2trillion Naira ( $3.3b per annum)

$42b/$3.3b = 12.72 years to recoup.

Not bad at all for long term investors. This is just my lay man’s modest calculation.

Lagos is around 20m residents, so I believe investors can break even within 10yrs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4x3yq49rvE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29WUcLoixfE
Re: The Battle-Field Called “Lagos Traffic” by Treasure17(m): 5:06pm On Feb 22, 2018
stevecantrell:

I always look for scratches on large new SUVs when in lekki traffic...and yep - virtually all of them have a side scratch.
I dey tell you..

1 Like

Re: The Battle-Field Called “Lagos Traffic” by johnnyn1(m): 5:13pm On Feb 22, 2018
ellalina:
I have just been transferred to Lagos
Please stop scaring me
Already am on my way to sell my car
I know I can’t drive in lagos

Get a professional driver..
Better than selling ya car
Re: The Battle-Field Called “Lagos Traffic” by coolh3ad(m): 5:16pm On Feb 22, 2018
ellalina:

Am confused
So how do I cope na

Which kine thing be this
I can’t stay in 30 min hold up talk not to mention 2 hours

You will cope only if you are ready to pay double or triple the normal T.fare once the traffic is very bad.....So it's best you keep you car and endure the bad traffic or sell your car and spend much on T.fare and go through a lot of stress once the traffic is bad.......Choose one
Re: The Battle-Field Called “Lagos Traffic” by tete7000(m): 5:24pm On Feb 22, 2018
Can relate. The traffic na real battlefield. Danfo drivers make the battle worse.
Re: The Battle-Field Called “Lagos Traffic” by igbi: 5:31pm On Feb 22, 2018
Lomprico2:

Its abuja! See vd green buses n cabs.
The picture seems to be taken from Nyanya over head bridge.
Re: The Battle-Field Called “Lagos Traffic” by kadree(m): 5:41pm On Feb 22, 2018
AutoJoshNG:
Driving in Lagos traffic is akin to being in a battlefield.

Lagos traffic is no place for pleasantries.

One cannot afford to play the “Mr. or Ms. Nice”. Otherwise – “express go leave you”.

Every other motorist is perceived as an enemy; an enemy that contends with you for any available traffic spaces ahead of you.

Lagos traffic bottlenecks makes motorists deliberately avoid making eye contacts with co- motorists. This way, they do not give co-motorists any opportunity to ask them for traffic favours.

Flashing your pointers to indicate that you intend switching lanes is always an exercise in futility. No one is generous or willing to let go of the space ahead of him or her.

In Lagos traffic, you realize that road signs indicating “One-Way Traffic” is just there to decorate the roads.

Also, in Lagos traffic, you are exempted from obeying traffic rules if you fall into any of the following categories: the police, army, government convoy, empty bullion vehicles, “danfos” with an official of the police, army, Man’O’War, as passenger, etc.

Then, there is the notorious Lagos traffic hawkers. Their business is to interest you in all imaginable commodities. Everything is available for purchase in Lagos traffic. From the essential to the outrightly ridiculous.

Lagos traffic makes you realize that you have some habits that you never knew you had. For instance, hollering a swear word, a curse or some expletives you never realized you knew at an offending co-motorist.

Sanity and patience rare commodities in this battlefield.

In Lagos traffic, it is all man for himself and God for all.

https://autojosh.com/battle-field-called-lagos-traffic-2/

Haha!

E too clear say OP na learner.

Embark on a "journey" to Apapa and see yourself turn a new leaf - begging God to forgive you for sins committed, both known and unknown.

By the time u manage reach house, u go sidan for the edge of your bed bigin tink about your life.

Wicked people dey repent become pastor after Apapa traffic na. Lolz

5 Likes

Re: The Battle-Field Called “Lagos Traffic” by KENZINCO(m): 5:43pm On Feb 22, 2018
davodyguy:
www.nairaland.com/attachments/6734728_lagostraffic_jpeg89513e09f046c6082b8e8044f806c640

Can this be Lagos?

This definitely can be Lagos.

The Op must be high on expired taba or cow shitz

Lol
A Lagos without the sight of Danfo, is that one Lagos?
Re: The Battle-Field Called “Lagos Traffic” by Nobody: 5:45pm On Feb 22, 2018
ellalina:

Am confused
So how do I cope na

Which kine thing be this
I can’t stay in 30 min hold up talk not to mention 2 hours
Buy a bicycle and thank me later. Depending on the proximity of your place of residence to your office though.
Re: The Battle-Field Called “Lagos Traffic” by OGHENAOGIE(m): 5:57pm On Feb 22, 2018
Truckpusher:
With the population of Lagos state and the human traffic from other major cities around it and nationwide , Lagos State is long overdue for a subway system.

The Federal Govt. can do it but you hardly see the major stake holders of Lagos State using their political influence to get it done.
d money generated in Lagos is enough to do many tins dsts yy restructuring and true federation is key for all states to be a kinda independent of d center
Re: The Battle-Field Called “Lagos Traffic” by horlakunle25(m): 6:13pm On Feb 22, 2018
davodyguy:
www.nairaland.com/attachments/6734728_lagostraffic_jpeg89513e09f046c6082b8e8044f806c640

Can this be Lagos?

"expired taba" bro u fit kill person ooo!! Even d one wey neva expired sef dey turn eye and brain upside down!
Re: The Battle-Field Called “Lagos Traffic” by alasco1(m): 6:15pm On Feb 22, 2018
LAGOS I hail o....
Re: The Battle-Field Called “Lagos Traffic” by yemi15(m): 6:33pm On Feb 22, 2018
Truckpusher:
With the population of Lagos state and the human traffic from other major cities around it and nationwide , Lagos State is long overdue for a subway system.

The Federal Govt. can do it but you hardly see the major stake holders of Lagos State using their political influence to get it done.

Exactly, I am still surprised Lagos does not have a subway system till now SMH. Instead, we are hearing light rail lol. I guess Lagos is paying the price for being Tinubu estate lol.
Re: The Battle-Field Called “Lagos Traffic” by thanki410(m): 7:02pm On Feb 22, 2018
Pls op , you made a mistake, its not called lagos , its called HELL
Re: The Battle-Field Called “Lagos Traffic” by 400billionman: 7:02pm On Feb 22, 2018
marvin906:
the only place i know you will be stuck in traffic for two hours and havent moved an inch..
you can even cook beans inside grin grin
gas cooker boils beans in 3Omins unless your burner, no good
Re: The Battle-Field Called “Lagos Traffic” by izombie(m): 7:08pm On Feb 22, 2018
I landed at MMA at 11.30am on the 22nd of december last year. Left the terminal for the parking with my brother just before 2pm. We headed straight to anambra just around 5 minutes past 2pm. Can you believe that from the airport to lagos/ibadan express took us 4 hours. I doff my heart for lagos traffic.
Re: The Battle-Field Called “Lagos Traffic” by H2Ossss(m): 7:33pm On Feb 22, 2018
Passy089:
one time I had a roadside eatery make indomie and egg for me as lunch... 3hours later I came down went to mama put and ate beans and plantain by 8pm....u know the sweet part?? I was lapping Tosin ,she was sitting on my laps the whole time with her big soft nyash. memories

now i want to go back in time and trade places with ya... we love that type of traffic
Re: The Battle-Field Called “Lagos Traffic” by H2Ossss(m): 7:36pm On Feb 22, 2018
ellalina:
Am confused So how do I cope na
Which kine thing be this I can’t stay in 30 min hold up talk not to mention 2 hours
make sure your office is close to your house... then you will be fine
Re: The Battle-Field Called “Lagos Traffic” by tayorh(m): 7:57pm On Feb 22, 2018
Worse traffic na apapa traffic, na only bike deh work there..

1 Like

Re: The Battle-Field Called “Lagos Traffic” by Olaiya26: 8:11pm On Feb 22, 2018
So na Lagos traffic motor arrange like this?
Re: The Battle-Field Called “Lagos Traffic” by PediakAuthor: 8:25pm On Feb 22, 2018
liars.. this is not Lagos.. this picture was taken on Maraba/Nyanyan Bridge, Abuja, if u are entering nasarawa state... that filling station by d left hand side, diamond bank by the right hand side, and kurudu/jikwoyi road by the right... this is not Lagos, Abuja instead... stop confusing us jafe
Re: The Battle-Field Called “Lagos Traffic” by ayusco85(m): 8:37pm On Feb 22, 2018
ellalina:
I have just been transferred to Lagos
Please stop scaring me
Already am on my way to sell my car
I know I can’t drive in lagos

Welcome to Lagos grin
Re: The Battle-Field Called “Lagos Traffic” by haryomikun(m): 9:49pm On Feb 22, 2018
Papiikush:
You think you know what traffic looks like?

Just get stuck in 3rd mainland bridge traffic... That one is even better, what about the traffic at apapa road?

Or worse, the route from lekki to iyana ipaja.
What route from lekki to Iyana ipaja?
Re: The Battle-Field Called “Lagos Traffic” by oluwasegun007(m): 10:08pm On Feb 22, 2018
Osinachi1:

Lagos?

1. no single danfo? Hell nah

2. The other lane is free, if na Lagos? People don dey drive for wrong lane

3. 'Straight line' traffic? Not Lagos. Traffic here na Brownian motion

4. Where the coco, Gala, Juice, Pure water, Walnut, Bread, Snake, American visa hawkers?

God will bless u for me for ur good observation.
Re: The Battle-Field Called “Lagos Traffic” by Gamesmart: 10:08pm On Feb 22, 2018
Papiikush:
You think you know what traffic looks like?

Just get stuck in 3rd mainland bridge traffic... That one is even better, what about the traffic at apapa road?

Or worse, the route from lekki to iyana ipaja.

Is there a route from lekki to iyana ipaja?
Re: The Battle-Field Called “Lagos Traffic” by WeareCasaP: 10:42pm On Feb 22, 2018
Gamesmart:

Is there a route from lekki to iyana ipaja?
Abeg help me ask am
Re: The Battle-Field Called “Lagos Traffic” by LaudableXX: 1:53am On Feb 23, 2018
olaboy1:
It will cost lagos state government around $350m/km to build a modern subway infrastructure. Lagos 2018 budget is around $2.7b (1.046 trillion Naira).

We need around $42b to build 120km subway across the state, and that’s 15.5 times Lagos 2018 budget. Nobody will loan Lagos that kind of money.

Only way to achieve this is bring in 42 investors of $1b each with a 10year tax break.

Now let’s do the maths on how long it will take to break even (ROI)

20,000 Naira monthly ticket all zones multiply by 5,000,000 steady subscribers = 100b Naira monthly

100x12 months = 1.2trillion Naira ( $3.3b per annum)

$42b/$3.3b = 12.72 years to recoup.

Not bad at all for long term investors. This is just my lay man’s modest calculation.

Lagos is around 20m residents, so I believe investors can break even within 10yrs.

Which one is subway? You are going too far, jare. sad Talk about waterways first. A large portion of Lagos state is made up of lagoons and creeks. Lagos Lagoon covers a total area of about 426.0 km2 with a coastline, and inland waterways. undecided Why can't the state govt improve water transportation by investing in ferries, hovercrafts and various types of boats? The number of boats available for water transport are not enough, and the distances they cover are too few.

It has been estimated that over 6 million passengers commute daily from Lagos mainland to the Island. sad Road transportation using cars, buses and other vehicles, accounts for more than 90% of passenger and freight traffic. Can you imagine if we had an efficient water transportation system in place, to take about half of these people off the road? What a relief it would be! shocked Don't forget, there is no traffic on the lagoon....and it would cost far less to implement an efficient water transportation system linking all parts of the state, than to build a new subway system!

Water transportation can assist in the reduction of road congestion, and thus increase the life span of the roads. From an analysis, water transport is found to have caused a reduced journey time by an average of 46.33%. Investment in water transport system could unlock a host of energy and cost savings as well act as a sustainable solution to our infrastructural needs. Travel time and travel distances on water are shorter than the road mode of travel; which accounted for the delay usually experienced on the road transport system in Lagos.

In view of this, it could be inferred that the water transport system is more environmental friendly and cost effective, than the existing road routes. On the west of the lagoon (south-west of the harbour) there are several creeks; these are the Lighthouse creek, Ologe lagoon, the Badagry creek, the main waterway leading to Badagry (Port Novo and Cotonou). Another creek joining the southern part of the main Lagos Lagoon to the Atlantic through Victoria Island is called Five Cowries creek. The North East of lagoon is bounded with Ikorodu local port that leads to Epe. Also at that region, there are several inlets from Ogun River, Majidun River and Agboyi creek. A sub-lagoon of the Lagos lagoon lies to the east of the harbour bound, and the bar beach between the Atlantic Ocean and the lagoon is called the Kuramo waters. http://www.academicjournals.org/article/article1381841976_Adejare%20et%20al.pdf

1 Like

Re: The Battle-Field Called “Lagos Traffic” by LaudableXX: 1:54am On Feb 23, 2018
H2Ossss:
make sure your office is close to your house... then you will be fine

And if your office is in Victoria Island? Or Banana Island, in Lagos? shocked
Re: The Battle-Field Called “Lagos Traffic” by ogakizito(m): 1:55am On Feb 23, 2018
AutoJoshNG:

Onku! Cars can't be sanely arranged like that in lagos traffic
Re: The Battle-Field Called “Lagos Traffic” by ogakizito(m): 1:57am On Feb 23, 2018
LaudableXX:

And if your office is in Victoria Island? Or Banana Island, in Lagos? shocked

Just start packing to your office small small.
One week kari toothbrush, bar soap and towel

New week face clothes. Like that
Re: The Battle-Field Called “Lagos Traffic” by LaudableXX: 1:59am On Feb 23, 2018
kadree:
Haha!

E too clear say OP na learner.

Embark on a "journey" to Apapa and see yourself turn a new leaf - begging God to forgive you for sins committed, both known and unknown.

By the time u manage reach house, u go sidan for the edge of your bed bigin tink about your life.

Wicked people dey repent become pastor after Apapa traffic na. Lolz

You mean you still go by road to Apapa? shocked I cannot remember the last time I went to Apapa by road. Na ferry be preferred mode of transport now. Marina to Apapa by boat - no traffic! cheesy Plenty breeze and serenity! And the best part? The entire journey only takes 15 minutes...!

But na when you come enter Apapa itself, na im you go come see say, madness don start! angry
Re: The Battle-Field Called “Lagos Traffic” by kowalsky: 2:46am On Feb 23, 2018
davodyguy:

Can this be Lagos?

Abuja. Nyanya

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

My Journey To Hiding Places In Nigeria(pictures) / Lagos Closes Costain Bridge, Roundabout, Issues Travel Advisory / Military Truck Rams Into Car Carrying Family Of 7 In Calabar

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.