Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,759 members, 7,817,095 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:18 AM

How Can My Husband Adopt My Son Legally? - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Can My Husband Adopt My Son Legally? (22835 Views)

Please Kindly Adopt My Daughter / I Did Not Authorize Anybody To Adopt My Son! Pls Help!! / Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Can My Husband Adopt My Son Legally? by Footsoldier(m): 11:09pm On Mar 07, 2018
The option to legally adopt him is to apply to the Magistrate Court to be the guardian of the boy and through that the Court a properly filed application he will be granted the the guardian of the boy.

If you need more details I can advise you.

1 Like

Re: How Can My Husband Adopt My Son Legally? by thinktanke: 11:22pm On Mar 07, 2018
I think we need to get this right not just for the OP but for others in the future. In Nigeria, adoption is a legal term when a couple is involved in taking a child over. It doesn't apply here because the OP is the biological mother of the child. I think for immigration purposes she can migrate with her son especially as he is a minor.I don't think our law recognizes the adoption the OP is suggesting. The son is a step-son to her husband hence can be granted immigration visa on that basis.
Re: How Can My Husband Adopt My Son Legally? by BecaciaBarbie(f): 11:23pm On Mar 07, 2018
Wow! The comments here are disappointing!!!!!!

3 Likes

Re: How Can My Husband Adopt My Son Legally? by efavour: 11:29pm On Mar 07, 2018
JONNYSPUTE:
. Pls stop this. Even if she likes,let her ve all the whole custody in this world,she cannot give another mans child to another man. Except they were not married before and the said father is not aware of his child.
Actually she can, there is some part in my tribe you marry mothers with their kids. You can own a kid if you were legally married to the mother, otherwise the kid belongs to the woman and her father. I didn't comment cos I no understand the position . A lady I know got married to a us citizen and he filed for her and her daughter. She didn't even have to change the little girls name. But in us law though, if the biological father can relinquish his right when he is not providing support.and through court process the step father can adopt and have full rights.

2 Likes

Re: How Can My Husband Adopt My Son Legally? by revolt(m): 11:32pm On Mar 07, 2018
anitank:

He’s late
you'll need to prove he's late ie death certificate... N woe betide thee if you're caught lying. I don't understand y the dude wants to legally adopt a child that's indirectly adopted . Are u sure ure nt insisting he does so,?!! Anyways look b4 leaping. The biological father has to sign out his rights for tht to happen.
Re: How Can My Husband Adopt My Son Legally? by vuc1(m): 11:33pm On Mar 07, 2018
Pm me I have a lawyer friend in New Jersey I can ask her the procedure if she can help i will let you know.
Re: How Can My Husband Adopt My Son Legally? by efavour: 11:37pm On Mar 07, 2018
anitank:
Good Morning people. Please experts in the house I need an urgent reply.

I got married recently but had a son already. My husband wants to adopt my son legally so that he can file his papers for easier and faster migration into the US. My son will be 10 this August.

Searched everywhere on google on the adoption process but didn’t find suitable information. Please how do I go about this??
there is a provision for step children, he doesn't have to adopt him to file for him. Adoption is a long process,I would advice that he forget it, he can still love him as his own. Or can start that at a later date after you have started living together. What am saying is he can file for him and it will still take the same length of time if he were to be his biological son. Leave the stress of adoption for now. As for those chauvinistic fools ignore them, they are just made that you found love again and to a better man sef.they are still living in stone age, believing that women with kids cannot find love again. Yet, these women keep landing correct men daily. The joke is on them. Name to make mouth online and go hide and do the things they discouraged others from doing lol.

3 Likes

Re: How Can My Husband Adopt My Son Legally? by WORLDPEACE(m): 11:37pm On Mar 07, 2018
anitank:

I got married recently but had a son already. My husband wants to adopt my son legally so that he can file his papers for easier and faster migration into the US. My son will be 10 this August.

Searched everywhere on google on the adoption process but didn’t find suitable information. Please how do I go about this??
With his father's consent
Re: How Can My Husband Adopt My Son Legally? by efavour: 11:39pm On Mar 07, 2018
revolt:
you'll need to prove he's late ie death certificate... N woe betide thee if you're caught lying. I don't understand y the dude wants to legally adopt a child that's indirectly adopted . Are u sure ure nt insisting he does so,?!! Anyways look b4 leaping. The biological father has to sign out his rights for tht to happen.
he doesn't have to sign out anything if he has been aware of his existence and never wanted to be part of his life. He can only count if he was married to the mother. The lady's owns this kid period.
Re: How Can My Husband Adopt My Son Legally? by anitank(f): 11:40pm On Mar 07, 2018
revolt:

Insisting? I wouldn’t have any reason to do that. He’s infact more eager to do it than I am cos I never wanted my son changing his father’s name. And lying about the death of my son’s father would be the lowest I can go
Re: How Can My Husband Adopt My Son Legally? by efavour: 11:42pm On Mar 07, 2018
BecaciaBarbie:
Wow! The comments here are disappointing!!!!!!
Did you see what I saw. Half of these witless men are mad that the lady found love other than their wretched self. You know they believed single mom's should be married to stupid,useless men in the society.

6 Likes

Re: How Can My Husband Adopt My Son Legally? by Only1mi(f): 11:43pm On Mar 07, 2018
TheUbermensch:
I thought since you're legally married your kids become his and vice versa?
.Of what need is the adoption again?.

Or there's something you aren't saying.

Not legally
Re: How Can My Husband Adopt My Son Legally? by efavour: 11:44pm On Mar 07, 2018
anitank:

Insisting? I wouldn’t have any reason to do that. He’s infact more eager to do it than I am cos I never wanted my son changing his father’s name. And lying about the death of my son’s father would be the lowest I can go
you don't need to explain anything to anybody, just focus on finding the information that will help your migration.

3 Likes

Re: How Can My Husband Adopt My Son Legally? by revolt(m): 11:46pm On Mar 07, 2018
efavour:
he doesn't have to sign out anything if he has been aware of his existence and never wanted to be part of his life. He can only count if he was married to the mother. The lady's owns this kid period.
and if he claims he had no means to contact her. As she made it difficult for him by evasion tactics? The law gives rights to a biological parent not based on responsibility , but simply bioodlines. May I also ask, if it was the other way round, can a mothers inability to cater for her child automatically deny her , the parenthood right?!! Pls be objective and not sentimental.
Re: How Can My Husband Adopt My Son Legally? by JONNYSPUTE(m): 11:54pm On Mar 07, 2018
efavour:
Actually she can, there is some part in my tribe you marry mothers with their kids. You can own a kid if you were legally married to the mother, otherwise the kid belongs to the woman and her father. I didn't comment cos I no understand the position . A lady I know got married to a us citizen and he filed for her and her daughter. She didn't even have to change the little girls name. But in us law though, if the biological father can relinquish his right when he is not providing support.and through court process the step father can adopt and have full rights.
. Only if the biological father approves of it,if not she can't do nothing. In law,u can't give another mans child to another man if he is still alive and keep to his responsibilities.
Re: How Can My Husband Adopt My Son Legally? by anitank(f): 11:55pm On Mar 07, 2018
efavour:
there is a provision for step children, he doesn't have to adopt him to file for him. Adoption is a long process,I would advice that he forget it, he can still love him as his own. Or can start that at a later date after you have started living together. What am saying is he can file for him and it will still take the same length of time if he were to be his biological son. Leave the stress of adoption for now. As for those chauvinistic fools ignore them, they are just made that you found love again and to a better man sef.they are still living in stone age, believing that women with kids cannot find love again. Yet, these women keep landing correct men daily. The joke is on them. Name to make mouth online and go hide and do the things they discouraged others from doing lol.

Thank you so much. You’ll need to grow a thick skin to be on this platform. The negative comments don’t get to me at all, We Move!! grin

As for the adoption, it’s only out of mis-information. He has already filed for him as his stepson. We thought the adoption would make it faster for my son hence the need to expedite. I appreciate people like you who take time to explain things. I will hold off on the adoption and continue the normal way. Thanks and God bless

4 Likes

Re: How Can My Husband Adopt My Son Legally? by linearity: 12:17am On Mar 08, 2018
anitank:

He does not have to adopt your son for him to file USA immigration paperworks.

When he files, he will usually list your son under you and if you qualify and approved; all your children under you derives that benefit through you and are automatically approved.

Going through adoption is a long process and only needed if he wants the child to derive his benefits through him, but that is not necessary as the child will derive such through you as long as they are unmarried and are under 21 years old.

Depending on how he file your application, you get either a K1 or K3 visa; your unmarried children under 21 years old gets a K2 visa if he filed K1 visa for you and K4 if he filed K3 visa for you.

2 Likes

Re: How Can My Husband Adopt My Son Legally? by solonubinho(m): 12:23am On Mar 08, 2018
Dear Anitank,

The adoption process in Nigeria may take a while. However, your husband can apply for guardianship pending the completion of the adoption process. I am a legal practitioner with expertise in family law. Kindly send me a private mail here on Nairaland to discuss further.

Regards
Re: How Can My Husband Adopt My Son Legally? by frikpus: 12:29am On Mar 08, 2018
Go to your local government and ask of welfare unit. Tender your case, they will refer you to the appropriate department.
Re: How Can My Husband Adopt My Son Legally? by BecaciaBarbie(f): 1:27am On Mar 08, 2018
efavour:
Did you see what I saw. Half of these witless men are mad that the lady found love other than their wretched self. You know they believed single mom's should be married to stupid,useless men in the society.
You are extremely right oooo.....going through the comments, I couldn't help but to notice the high hatred and jealousy being flooded on the thread.....they ain't even pretending about it! We've truly lost our humanity!

3 Likes

Re: How Can My Husband Adopt My Son Legally? by Kryptotrade: 1:48am On Mar 08, 2018
We know your type... If you can think of trying for another man to adopt your son to travel to the states, then I can bet my balls you will leave your husband if you get to the states.

Never marry a girl in Nigerian and relocate her abroad, 99.9℅ always mess up by ruining men's lives.

You want to do things legally but did you ask the kid's dad if its okay to take him

Evil women everywhere

Apologies if the kid's dad is dead.
You don't need adoption for him to travel.

Personally, my step dad arranged my travel and I was already 18. All I did was DNA no adoption
Re: How Can My Husband Adopt My Son Legally? by efavour: 1:52am On Mar 08, 2018
revolt:
and if he claims he had no means to contact her. As she made it difficult for him by evasion tactics? The law gives rights to a biological parent not based on responsibility , but simply bioodlines. May I also ask, if it was the other way round, can a mothers inability to cater for her child automatically deny her , the parenthood right?!! Pls be objective and not sentimental.
Simone biles and brother was taken to foster home when the mom was high on crack and could not take care of them.the grand father adopted them with full rights and took them away. Where was the father? Probably a deadbeat. You can own a child just because you produced them.those kids in orphanages are someone sperms and ovum. The ones walking the road and sleeping on the road too. Yes you can loose right to your child by failing to do your duty. If you didn't sign off your right and refuse paying child support, see you, see prison. And if you abscond and cannot be found, you have lost your right already by desertion.
Re: How Can My Husband Adopt My Son Legally? by Kryptotrade: 1:53am On Mar 08, 2018
BrAkingNews:
I only hope your husband is not about to make one his greatest mistakes in life. Omo, I have seen of the cases, it wasn't pleasant at all.

Your head is there
Re: How Can My Husband Adopt My Son Legally? by Blonchilli(m): 3:01am On Mar 08, 2018
anitank just being curious, which did you finally settle for, the older guy or the younger guy? cheesy
Re: How Can My Husband Adopt My Son Legally? by jideakpan1: 3:26am On Mar 08, 2018
Actually you do nothing. When your husband completes the form I-130, he just adds both of you to the forms and pay the relevant fees when he makes submission. He should indicate for relationship that your son is his step son. Your son is still a minor and by virtue of your marriage to your husband, that makes your son a relative.
Re: How Can My Husband Adopt My Son Legally? by nmaihat: 3:35am On Mar 08, 2018
Go to the ministry of youth ... something in the state your husband/child reside. They are in charge of adoption. They'll avail you with their criteria for adoption.

If it's in Lagos, its in Alausa (secretariat) where the ministries are located.
Re: How Can My Husband Adopt My Son Legally? by cooldipo(m): 3:44am On Mar 08, 2018
Many wise counsel on this page already..... Front page was almost filled with jargons

1 Like

Re: How Can My Husband Adopt My Son Legally? by Cutehector(m): 3:53am On Mar 08, 2018
anitank:
Dear Mods please help me get more views for this. I need urgent replies. Thanks
which of the men did you finally marry? The young but immature guy or the man in his 40s?
Re: How Can My Husband Adopt My Son Legally? by xtervaganza(m): 6:05am On Mar 08, 2018
I'm guessing he wants to adopt your son without his father's consent?

This is why they send assassin to some people
Re: How Can My Husband Adopt My Son Legally? by shawnmendes: 6:18am On Mar 08, 2018
pp802:
Everything shouldn't be on the internet. No matter the country you are, check legal practitioners around. Ask questions there. If na USA, it's easy! You don't need to come here and tell us you are abroad and getting married.
ehn, you prefer reading sad marital stories.
Re: How Can My Husband Adopt My Son Legally? by shawnmendes: 6:33am On Mar 08, 2018
Kryptotrade:
We know your type... If you can think of trying for another man to adopt your son to travel to the states, then I can bet my balls you will leave your husband if you get to the states.

Never marry a girl in Nigerian and relocate her abroad, 99.9℅ always mess up by ruining men's lives.

You want to do things legally but did you ask the kid's dad if its okay to take him

Evil women everywhere

Apologies if the kid's dad is dead.
You don't need adoption for him to travel.

Personally, my step dad arranged my travel and I was already 18. All I did was DNA no adoption
So you benefited from a man who is not your father but you dare call her evil. Or is that what your mum did?

3 Likes

Re: How Can My Husband Adopt My Son Legally? by NoToPile: 6:40am On Mar 08, 2018
Lots of silly boys parading themselves as men on nairaland. Imagine the comments.

Lots of peeps on this forum needs to get their head checked.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Women, DNA Testing Is Not A Home Breaker: It Can Vindicate You (opinion) / Ten Steps To Better Self-esteem / My Wife Decide Not To Apologize For Offending Me

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.