Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,748 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:54 PM

Should I Accept This Job Or Move On? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Should I Accept This Job Or Move On? (19909 Views)

Should I Accept The New Job Offer? / Should I Stay With My Job Or Go With This New Job? / Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Accept This Job Or Move On? by DEBJOCH1(m): 7:29pm On Mar 10, 2018
Daddy said, daddy CEO, daddy Director, Daddy MD, DADDY MY STATE OF SERVICE, DADDY SALARY, DADDY SLASH. HABA AT YOUR AGE, STILL DOING THE DADDY BIDDING, WHEN WILL YOU GROW? DADDY WILL SOON CHOOSE A WIFE TO AND DADDY WILL STILL SUGGEST TO YOU WHEN TO MEET AND WHEN NOT TO MEET WITH YOU WIFE.

3 Likes

Re: Should I Accept This Job Or Move On? by Nobody: 7:30pm On Mar 10, 2018
ikihealthplus:
Sorry for the long read,

I finished service Dec 2017 and got a job in the state I served, was excited and told dad, dad told me he doesn't like that one that he wants me to work in a firm (he has some contacts there)

Although I knew the Gen. manager Coz I worked with him in 2015 for a few months. Meanwhile dad got a job for my younger sister in that same firm. I told dad that I won't want to wait beyond February since he was certain I'll get the job, he assured me. January passed, met the CEO and he said he'll get back to me in a month's time, prior to meeting the CEO, I had already called the manager and told him that I'm almost done with service, he said I should come meet him in January, old dad, my dad said I shouldn't meet him that I should meet the CEO, so I obeyed. So when I met the CEO, he called the manager in my presence, I had this awkward feeling but I kept my cool, the manager told him I've worked with him before. So they said they'll get back to me. a month passed and I kept going to and fro to hear their feedback but nothing was forthcoming,

Met the GM, he told me March but no specific date and told me the salary I was to be paid, I was OK with it, towards the end of February I sent an email to the CEO that I haven't heard from him and got no reply, had to visit the firm. Met the GM and he said I should meet the CEO, while waiting to see the CEO, he told the security man to tell me to see the GM, he was told I've seen him and he told the security to tell me to go home, I got sad and told dad that I'm fed up that I need to go to where I'm needed not where they think they're doing me a favor, dad sent and called both GM and CEO an SMS and calls resp but got no reply.

Meanwhile I travelled to go and secure a job in the state I served, my sister now called me that the GM told her to tell me to come see her, I felt awkward Coz I chat with him on WhatsApp and visit him often so why wasn't I called directly? I came back, went straight to see the GM and he told me the CEO has changed his mind about my salary that about 33% was slashed from it, that I should start with it.

Meanwhile the other job I got was a better offer with good incentives, dad wants me to work in that firm but I told him I'm not accepting the job but he's insisting, pls I need your advice Coz I need a place where I can work with peace of mind.

Please, help me push it to FP
Be your own man
Re: Should I Accept This Job Or Move On? by Bari22: 7:32pm On Mar 10, 2018
Please given me that one
Re: Should I Accept This Job Or Move On? by femi4: 7:33pm On Mar 10, 2018
traeces:
Even though I don't have all the details, reading through your writ, what came to my mind was:
"Obey your parents in the lord for this is right..."
Sometimes, these folks see seating what we can't see standing on a pole.
not in this case. All that is require is dad's blessing
Re: Should I Accept This Job Or Move On? by sonnie10: 7:34pm On Mar 10, 2018
Maybe your dad is the silent owner of that company. He doesn't want people to know. Is your dad a public service employee?
Re: Should I Accept This Job Or Move On? by Handsomecole(m): 7:37pm On Mar 10, 2018
Are you working because of your father ?? Well I'm not in your family and father's a different but for me, I think you try and convince your dad also get your mum involved .
Try and get people or relations that you know CA influence your father to talk to him.
Re: Should I Accept This Job Or Move On? by LadyHeaven(f): 7:39pm On Mar 10, 2018
histemple:
You seem to have undermined the authority of the GM and the CEO has actually changed his mind from giving you the job. The salary slash was intended to discourage you indirectly.

I think the CEO feels the familiarity will affect the relationship negatively.

This guy said it all, trust me if you go to that company all may not be as your dad envisages, he hopes that the familiarity would boost your chances of moving up the ladder but it may even draw you back and everything you achieve would automatically be seen as Nepotism or Mmamadu as my ppl would say, overfamiliarity breeds contempt you have seen the warning sign early never be afraid to be your own man...All the best

2 Likes

Re: Should I Accept This Job Or Move On? by Viking007(m): 7:41pm On Mar 10, 2018
4oyrsExperience:
OP

Good evening,

Pls i beg you. Help ne with a job plssss... After making ur choice, let me have the other one.

Pls bikonu
cheesy
Re: Should I Accept This Job Or Move On? by don4real18(m): 7:42pm On Mar 10, 2018
1. What an old man sees sitting on a stool, a young man might climb a long Palm tree and wouldn't get a glimpse of it
2. Will a father give his son a stone when he asks for bread or a snake when he asks for fish.
Know the reason why your Dad wants you to take it. He should likely be ordering your steps to greatness (I may be wrong though)
Those shouting government job should tell me if salaries aren't slashed or if workers don't protest most times to get their entitlement
Re: Should I Accept This Job Or Move On? by seyiade26: 7:47pm On Mar 10, 2018
ikihealthplus:
Sorry for the long read,

I finished service Dec 2017 and got a job in the state I served, was excited and told dad, dad told me he doesn't like that one that he wants me to work in a firm (he has some contacts there)

Although I knew the Gen. manager Coz I worked with him in 2015 for a few months. Meanwhile dad got a job for my younger sister in that same firm. I told dad that I won't want to wait beyond February since he was certain I'll get the job, he assured me. January passed, met the CEO and he said he'll get back to me in a month's time, prior to meeting the CEO, I had already called the manager and told him that I'm almost done with service, he said I should come meet him in January, old dad, my dad said I shouldn't meet him that I should meet the CEO, so I obeyed. So when I met the CEO, he called the manager in my presence, I had this awkward feeling but I kept my cool, the manager told him I've worked with him before. So they said they'll get back to me. a month passed and I kept going to and fro to hear their feedback but nothing was forthcoming,

Met the GM, he told me March but no specific date and told me the salary I was to be paid, I was OK with it, towards the end of February I sent an email to the CEO that I haven't heard from him and got no reply, had to visit the firm. Met the GM and he said I should meet the CEO, while waiting to see the CEO, he told the security man to tell me to see the GM, he was told I've seen him and he told the security to tell me to go home, I got sad and told dad that I'm fed up that I need to go to where I'm needed not where they think they're doing me a favor, dad sent and called both GM and CEO an SMS and calls resp but got no reply.

Meanwhile I travelled to go and secure a job in the state I served, my sister now called me that the GM told her to tell me to come see her, I felt awkward Coz I chat with him on WhatsApp and visit him often so why wasn't I called directly? I came back, went straight to see the GM and he told me the CEO has changed his mind about my salary that about 33% was slashed from it, that I should start with it.

Meanwhile the other job I got was a better offer with good incentives, dad wants me to work in that firm but I told him I'm not accepting the job but he's insisting, pls I need your advice Coz I need a place where I can work with peace of mind.

Bro I don't know or like a lot of office stuff; and my opinions don't really get popular with many people.

If I were in your shoes; I would tell my father everything I am thinking in a very respectful but totally honest manner. Having heard your views and fears he will absolutely tell you what he thinks is best. Nobody else can wish you better than your parents. Always obey their instructions finally. This is also obeying God.

It should not be hard at all...
Re: Should I Accept This Job Or Move On? by AntiWailer: 7:51pm On Mar 10, 2018
Be a man.

For how long will Daddy influence your life ?

Just do your thing.

The GM just made u know who the boss is.

I can assure u that he influenced the CEO on everything that happened.

Middle finger for them and continue your current work.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Should I Accept This Job Or Move On? by rossi5(f): 8:00pm On Mar 10, 2018
henryvirus:
Since you've got a better place to work with even better incentives,i think you should go for it.explain to your Dad, if he is insisting you have to consider the fact that you can't keep relying on him to make decisions for you. follow what suits you, where you can have peace of mind and better gains. you are a man bro. time for you to man up�

time will come ur ceo will tell you tgey dis a great favour by employing u.go for the job u got urself where u will be appreciated.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Accept This Job Or Move On? by jaxxy(m): 8:07pm On Mar 10, 2018
Work where u are given respect for ur input and ur value is seen.

1 Like

Re: Should I Accept This Job Or Move On? by biacan(f): 8:08pm On Mar 10, 2018
ikihealthplus:
tnx bro
Answer this questions genuinely so we can know where to start from cool

* How much is the pay if I may ask.....?
* Are you married lipsrsealed cool
Re: Should I Accept This Job Or Move On? by Chukazu: 8:11pm On Mar 10, 2018
Chat your own cause!

Paddle your own canoe !

Dad won't be there forever...

1 Like

Re: Should I Accept This Job Or Move On? by Dagoma: 8:13pm On Mar 10, 2018
henryvirus:
Since you've got a better place to work with even better incentives,i think you should go for it.explain to your Dad, if he is insisting you have to consider the fact that you can't keep relying on him to make decisions for you. follow what suits you, where you can have peace of mind and better gains. you are a man bro. time for you to man up�

Right advise.
Re: Should I Accept This Job Or Move On? by yemi15(m): 8:14pm On Mar 10, 2018
ikihealthplus:
Sorry for the long read,

Why would you work where you are not wanted and they feel they are doing you a favour?

Take the other job where you served jo.

You do not want a toxic workplace. I have been there twice already and currently in one now. Trust me you don't want to experience such.

Besides, where you served might be where you might just see better opportunities. Take risks! Part of life!

2 Likes

Re: Should I Accept This Job Or Move On? by Engrr(m): 8:14pm On Mar 10, 2018
All these Dady's pikin sef!......sounds this frm you are talking abt is your family business
Re: Should I Accept This Job Or Move On? by Chukazu: 8:15pm On Mar 10, 2018
don4real18:
1. What an old man sees sitting on a stool, a young man might climb a long Palm tree and wouldn't get a glimpse of it
2. Will a father give his son a stone when he asks for bread or a snake when he asks for fish.
Know the reason why your Dad wants you to take it. He should likely be ordering your steps to greatness (I may be wrong though)
Those shouting government job should tell me if salaries aren't slashed or if workers don't protest most times to get their entitlement

...and Buhari has been giving us stone and snake in place of bread and fish embarassed

1 Like

Re: Should I Accept This Job Or Move On? by Brightgem(f): 8:20pm On Mar 10, 2018
Brova. Off you go to the job u got by urself o! They have already disrespected ur dad when they ignored him too. why should u work where ur sister is working already. Its okay to make ur own choices, more important to stand by them and live with any consequencies that come with the choices. Good or bad! Take ur own leap, forget a company that has slashed their initial offer, cuz that's another insult.

1 Like

Re: Should I Accept This Job Or Move On? by bibicici(f): 8:29pm On Mar 10, 2018
Follow your heart.
Re: Should I Accept This Job Or Move On? by Apina(m): 8:38pm On Mar 10, 2018
This is a very dicey situation and you should thread carefully. First of all, whats your dads relationship with both individuals? Having slashed your salary is simply u being told u are nothing more than an accessory which is of no advantage to them at d moment. Aince your sister works there already, I would not advise u to take up that job cos i see it as ur dad asking too much already from them which they have made known through their body language. undecided

1 Like

Re: Should I Accept This Job Or Move On? by Felixdam1: 8:50pm On Mar 10, 2018
madgoat:

This is why it's not good to go to private university and graduate at a very young age thus making ur parents still have control and make decisions for you.
All i hear is dad this... dad that... Smmmmhhhh
All this kids of nowadays sef

So u should be old before you finish school. The way some Nigerians think is funny. Be constructive in your criticism and bring actual facts that has been proven true over and over again. Young lads are CEO, smarter and matured. P.S: finished from a fed school
Re: Should I Accept This Job Or Move On? by sholaball: 8:54pm On Mar 10, 2018
[quote author=ikihealthplus post=65726081]Sorry for the long read,

OP, OP, OP!! How many Tyms I call u? If u like ursef u wouldn't take dat job wey ur papa wan give u by fire by force. The chances things might go wrong is high since d CEO can jst wake and order 33% to be deducted from ur salary you knw why it's because they feel dey are doing u a favour and moreover ur sister is in d same coy. Go to d oda one wey dem value u wey dem want u. Explain am to ur dad but also remember you are a man in d making and should be able to make decisions dat would greatly have impact on ur bearing.
Remember dey don't want u in dat firm ur dad wants dats why dey said slash 33% because dey feel y'all are literally begging for d job.

1 Like

Re: Should I Accept This Job Or Move On? by idu1(m): 9:04pm On Mar 10, 2018
Dad this Dad that....

Radarada
Re: Should I Accept This Job Or Move On? by Nobody: 9:05pm On Mar 10, 2018
Just explain well to papa, am sure he will see ur way
Re: Should I Accept This Job Or Move On? by madgoat(m): 9:07pm On Mar 10, 2018
Felixdam1:

So u should be old before you finish school. The way some Nigerians think is funny. Be constructive in your criticism and bring actual facts that has been proven true over and over again. Young lads are CEO, smarter and matured. P.S: finished from a fed school
The truth hurts, deal with it or keep quiet. angry
Re: Should I Accept This Job Or Move On? by AreaFada2: 9:30pm On Mar 10, 2018
Dude I guess your dad sees a better future for you in that friend's business.

Which of the roles correlates with your passion/specialization more?

Consider your long term career, not just current pay and incentives. And discuss it in detail with your dad.
Re: Should I Accept This Job Or Move On? by Nobody: 9:42pm On Mar 10, 2018
Thanks for your inputs,,ill make my choice anyway
Re: Should I Accept This Job Or Move On? by olamiide327(m): 10:19pm On Mar 10, 2018
We don't even know the nature of both jobs.... How do i advice you personally now?
Re: Should I Accept This Job Or Move On? by Yusluv13(m): 10:24pm On Mar 10, 2018
I'm really happy for you brother. I can see your choice is to work in where you personally struggle to secure job by yourself. don't get your dad angry , seat him down and talk to him like a grown and matured son, never raise your voice but let him realise your choice and beg him to allow you to work where your peace lying too... settle with him with amicable and reasonable point

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Should I Take CFA Exams And Is It Worth It? / Pilot Vs Soldier: Ladies, Which Of These Jobs Would You Choose? (Photos) / As A Teacher, What's Your Workload And Pay Range?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.