Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,017 members, 7,818,009 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:46 AM

These 4 States Produce Highest Number Of Medical Students - JAMB - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / These 4 States Produce Highest Number Of Medical Students - JAMB (69683 Views)

Countries with the highest number of International Students in the United States / Ogun State Has The Highest Number Of Universities In Nigeria / 4 States That Produce Highest Number Of Medical Students In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: These 4 States Produce Highest Number Of Medical Students - JAMB by BeijinDossier: 10:46am On Mar 11, 2018
UNIZIK and UNN are the best universities in the SE and among the best in Nigeria. There are large population of Yorubas in those 2 schools. Just do your research.

ibadanfinest:

My brother why will I leave UI, Unilag and OAU in the southwest and choose South eastern university. Unn is cool though.

Even the brilliant easterners will rather choose the aforrmentioned schools above schools situated in their state of origin barring UNN though which can be said to be on the same level.
Re: These 4 States Produce Highest Number Of Medical Students - JAMB by IAmAmbrose(m): 10:47am On Mar 11, 2018
BABANGBALI:
I would rather spend one or two years with a local herbalist and become a medical doctor than waste about 6/7 years studying medicine at the university

you can be a common man... Yet there will be no common sense
Re: These 4 States Produce Highest Number Of Medical Students - JAMB by engrchykae(m): 10:49am On Mar 11, 2018
ibadanfinest:

My brother why will I leave UI, Unilag and OAU in the southwest and choose South eastern university. Unn is cool though.

Even the brilliant easterners will rather choose the aforrmentioned schools above schools situated in their state of origin barring UNN though which can be said to be on the same level.
you think is easy to get admission into futo,unn or unizik.
These schools are highly populated by easterners while there are still sizable number of easterners in schools in the southwest and north.

8 Likes

Re: These 4 States Produce Highest Number Of Medical Students - JAMB by CSTR2: 10:49am On Mar 11, 2018
The only advantage I think the SW has is the private schools.

They have the best private univesities in the country.

That is one area I feel the igbo intelligentsia should focus on.

Private universities are the future.

2 Likes

Re: These 4 States Produce Highest Number Of Medical Students - JAMB by Chukazu: 10:49am On Mar 11, 2018
ibadanfinest:

I get your point why you wouldn't leave your region to go to another place.
But it's also the Same reason someone in the East wouldn't want to go to another region for admission.

The ones (Easterners) that seek admission outside the region are basically the people who reside outside South East and secondly those running away from competition in the East.

So it has nothing to do with those Universities been Superior in quality compare to the ones in the East

9 Likes

Re: These 4 States Produce Highest Number Of Medical Students - JAMB by Johnrake69: 10:53am On Mar 11, 2018
ibadanfinest:
The list is absolutely true. On the surface it might seem a very good thing for the southeasterners but there are more to these

1Hardly will you see non south easterner is schools like UNN, Unizik, or in any of there university for that matter. so almost the whole mbbs allocated to schools in south easterner university are occupied by igbos
2. We the yorubas will continue to attract the best, let them list top 7 medical schools in nigeria we know the schools that will occupy them, we will always attract the best and post like this will not make us trubalistic. My own alma mater will continue to say no to tribalism and welcome the best from all part of the country. Am sure most of you know the school am talking about

That is not true. There is what is known as catchment areas. If UNN for instance, covers your catchment area gaining admission in UNN will be easier for a candidate. I know for a fact that candidates from North Central have a lower cut off point than candidates from South East for UNN admission. UNN is one of the universities with the most transparent admission process.

There are generally two cut off points. Merit and catchment area. If you meet up with any there is nothing that will stop your admission. Unlike a school like unilag with zero transparency. They deny most jambites admission just to create a space for their diploma students where they make a hell of money.

2 Likes

Re: These 4 States Produce Highest Number Of Medical Students - JAMB by maxlev1: 10:54am On Mar 11, 2018
Hahahha in the last couple of years, I have noticed something abt most Igbo people. A lot of them have this inferiority complex while some is unnecessary pride and in turn, they become so so tribalistic and aggressive thereby always forcefully trying analyse how smarter or more intelligent they are compared to people from other tribes at every given opportunity. I mean this attitude n mindset is quite ridiculous. For me every tribe has great people and none is better than d other. Just an observation

2 Likes

Re: These 4 States Produce Highest Number Of Medical Students - JAMB by Chukazu: 10:54am On Mar 11, 2018
mercyville:

What they are doing right is to catch up with the Yorubas.They have been doing this more than a century..

More than a century undecided

My dear Nigeria is not up to"a century old"

2 Likes

Re: These 4 States Produce Highest Number Of Medical Students - JAMB by mercyville: 10:56am On Mar 11, 2018
CSTR2:
IMO has the highest number of professors according to the NUC.

The most educated state in the country,with a strong competition from Delta, thanks to the highly educated anioma bloc.

The SE as a geopolitical zone has emerged as the most educated in Nigeria right now.

Though it can change.

Yorubas still lead in all of these sectors.Igbos are just waking up from their slumber which is a big kudos.Think about the years that Yorubas had single handedly led the whole nation.It is going to take sometime before you can take over if you will ever do that.The highest number of Professors are still being produced by Yorubas especially, Ekiti state.This is the only stat NUC has...

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: These 4 States Produce Highest Number Of Medical Students - JAMB by CSTR2: 10:58am On Mar 11, 2018
engrchykae:
you think is easy to get admission into futo,unn or unizik.
These schools are highly populated by easterners while there are still sizable number of easterners in schools in the southwest and north.
You should have asked him how many igbos are present in his Sw schools. ?

In every federal university, you have a sizeable igbo population beating the non-catchment cut offs and even emerging as best graduating students.

Two Igbos set unprecedented records at UI last year with one winning a MasterCard scholarship.

So how exactly does he now expect to edge out these same igbos at UNN?

1 Like

Re: These 4 States Produce Highest Number Of Medical Students - JAMB by Firstpage: 11:01am On Mar 11, 2018
ibadanfinest:

What are you saying. so the medical schools in oyo and osun is for their native alone.

Do you understand quota system?

It means students from Ondo and Ekiti have few slots compared to the indigens.
Re: These 4 States Produce Highest Number Of Medical Students - JAMB by Newway2(m): 11:01am On Mar 11, 2018
influenz:
I am an Igbo man. But I wont celebrate this.

Every nation usually have an ideology. This ideology is their driving force and it is what propels them as a nation for surmount all challenges that come their way.

While American political ideologies are variations on classical liberalism. As a result, these ideologies tend to be very similar: Almost everyone in the United States, for example, believes in limited government, the free market, and individual liberty, the British Empire was founded and maintained for purposes of trade and done so by private interest with the government providing support and encouragement where and when needed. The Swedish ruling party is Høyre. The party is committed to fiscal free market policies, including tax cuts and relatively little government involvement in the economy. It does, however, support the continued existence of the Norwegian welfare state.

But in our dear nation we have been talking about UNITY. Our ideology has been UNITY.

In Oct 2018, Nigeria will be 58 years. If this nation had been a butterfly, unfortunately we are still in eggs stage. We have not even hatched to the Larva stage.

It is true that these states produced the highest number of Medical Doctors. By the questions I will ask are

1. How many of them stay back to practice in NIgeria.
2. Most of these brilliant minds are subjected to be under so called graduates from educationally less developed states. Why?
3. After the hectic and arduous task of obtaining these degrees, what is the state of hospitals they will later work in?

My position is that we should not celebrate this. It is not an achievement because even the elites do not even appreciate the efforts of these students.

Why? You may ask. The case of our President and his son comes to mind. No Nigerian doctor is qualified to treat our elites. So why wasting our time? They wont fund our education.

WAY FORWARD

Let us all be involved. 2019 is by the way. Another avenue to exercise our franchise. How many youths on Nairaland have obtained their PVC?
And if you have obtained, are ready to vote?
Lets get our nation back.

Most of these our politicians have less than 20 years to live, but their actions can affect us for a century.

One of the most cerebral write up I hv seen in this era of tribal rantings & tribal rats.
May God increase your wisdom & bless you real good.
Thank you.

4 Likes

Re: These 4 States Produce Highest Number Of Medical Students - JAMB by Leebeedo(m): 11:02am On Mar 11, 2018
nwabobo:

Old Bendel is the Delta area and in Delta it's the Igbo area ie Anioma.

You just made a funny conclusion without thinking. What is the population in % of the so called Anioma in delta to have grossly affected performance index more than the Urhobo, Ijaw, itsekiri?
Re: These 4 States Produce Highest Number Of Medical Students - JAMB by Firstpage: 11:02am On Mar 11, 2018
Origamist:

There is OOU in Ogun State.
those in Ekiti and Ondo (Eksu & Unimed)are yet to graduate their first set of med. Students.

Yes. I should remove Ogun. But ondo and Ekiti students have to jostle for few quotas in other states in other to study medical ourses. I'm a victim
Re: These 4 States Produce Highest Number Of Medical Students - JAMB by Eldorado14: 11:03am On Mar 11, 2018
ibadanfinest:

Now just listen to yourself, look at your reason for not coming to the southeast yet you complain of only easterners gaining admission in southeastern schools. This reason you gave will be the same reason most southwesterners will give but when admission list of UNN comes out you all will cry foul and say the list is tribalistic. Oga, let me ask you a question...if you dont apply,how do you get admitted?
Tell your people to apply to UNN(in multitudes) and other southeastern schools and fight with the best as igbos have been doing in unilag and other southwestern schools.
STOP SOUNDING TRIBALISTIC!

10 Likes

Re: These 4 States Produce Highest Number Of Medical Students - JAMB by mercyville: 11:05am On Mar 11, 2018
Chukazu:

More than a century undecided

My dear Nigeria is not up to"a century old"

They have heard about Yorubas even before Nigeria and they aspire to catch up with them using everything at their disposal even allowing 10000 people to cheat in WAEC in Anambra state alone.I trust IMO state but Anambra.. lol

2 Likes

Re: These 4 States Produce Highest Number Of Medical Students - JAMB by Nobody: 11:06am On Mar 11, 2018
mercyville:

Yorubas still lead in all of these sectors.Igbos are just waking up from their slumber which is a big kudos.Think about the years that Yorubas had single handedly led the whole nation.It is going to take sometime before you can take over if you will ever do that.The highest number of Professors are still being produced by Yorubas especially, Ekiti state.This is the only stat NUC has...
from 2010 to 2016 Yoruba leads in jamb admission I doubt anybody may catch up but this type of thread is an awareness for Yoruba not to rest on their educational achievements but keep competing and improving in education sector with more and better schools

1 Like

Re: These 4 States Produce Highest Number Of Medical Students - JAMB by Origamist: 11:08am On Mar 11, 2018
Firstpage:

Yes. I should remove Ogun. But ondo and Ekiti students have to jostle for few quotas in other states in other to study medical ourses. I'm a victim
You are right.
Re: These 4 States Produce Highest Number Of Medical Students - JAMB by Obi1kenobi(m): 11:09am On Mar 11, 2018
ibadanfinest:
The list is absolutely true. On the surface it might seem a very good thing for the southeasterners but there are more to these

1[b]Hardly will you see non south easterner is schools like UNN[/b], Unizik, or in any of there university for that matter. so almost the whole mbbs allocated to schools in south easterner university are occupied by igbos
2. We the yorubas will continue to attract the best, let them list top 7 medical schools in nigeria we know the schools that will occupy them, we will always attract the best and post like this will not make us trubalistic. My own alma mater will continue to say no to tribalism and welcome the best from all part of the country. Am sure most of you know the school am talking about

This might be true, but it hardly helps your argument. The South East is the least cosmopolitan region in the country with comparatively few outsiders, so it's logical its institutions are overwhelmingly Igbo. But Igbos are also the biggest non-indigenous population in pretty much every other region's institutions. Whether you go to Unilag or UI or ABU or wherever, outside the catchment area indigenes, Igbos account for most of the admitted students. In my Masters class in Unilag for example, 13 out of 33 students were Igbo. The rest, apart from 2 people, were Yoruba. There were no Northerners. I remember looking at Covenant's graduating lists last year and in some departments, I counted more Igbos than Yorubas.

In raw numbers, Igbos do send more people to school than other groups, which is why from Unity school level, to JAMB level, South East states have the highest cut-off marks to weed out people. Though I don't necessarily believe it means we're the most educated group. Until there's evidence we're producing the most professors, doctors, chartered accountants, COREN registered engineers etc, I'm not yet sure we're doing as well as many think we are.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: These 4 States Produce Highest Number Of Medical Students - JAMB by CSTR2: 11:09am On Mar 11, 2018
mercyville:

They have heard about Yorubas even before Nigeria and they aspire to catch up with them using everything at their disposal even allowing 10000 people to cheat in WAEC in Anambra state alone.I trust IMO state but Anambra.. lol
And yet the first VC of your best schools were igbos .

You must live in a fantasy.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: These 4 States Produce Highest Number Of Medical Students - JAMB by RealMillennial(m): 11:09am On Mar 11, 2018
IS A ZIMPLE STUVF
Re: These 4 States Produce Highest Number Of Medical Students - JAMB by kutchs: 11:10am On Mar 11, 2018
mercyville:

Yorubas still lead in all of these sectors.Igbos are just waking up from their slumber which is a big kudos.Think about the years that Yorubas had single handedly led the whole nation.It is going to tak sometime before you can take over if you will ever do that.The highest number of Professors are still being produced by Yorubas especially, Ekiti state.This is the only stat NUC has...
Why don't you give the states of origin of these professors? You and I know that there's a sizeable number of professors of SE extraction in places like UI, UNILAG and OAU while you may still get few of SW extraction in UNN, UNIZIK, FUTO, FUAU etc. At least I know Prof Olaitan at UNN.

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: These 4 States Produce Highest Number Of Medical Students - JAMB by OGHENAOGIE(m): 11:11am On Mar 11, 2018
maxlev1:
Hahahha in the last couple of years, I have noticed something abt most Igbo people. A lot of them have this inferiority complex while some is unnecessary pride and in turn, they become so so tribalistic and aggressive thereby always forcefully trying analyse how smarter or more intelligent they are compared to people from other tribes at every given opportunity. I mean this attitude n mindset is quite ridiculous. For me every tribe has great people and none is better than d other. Just an observation
when are we going to get over this like you said.... We shd provide equal opportunities for every one....interms of infrastructures..and the likes there are great minds in all areas Bt discovery is d case there ...moreso there are other things pple can be gud at not just academics....
Re: These 4 States Produce Highest Number Of Medical Students - JAMB by nwabobo: 11:12am On Mar 11, 2018
Chukazu:
The same way South West leads in Law admission.

I think the battle line would be on Engineering...who ever controls it should be said to be in lead of the "science students" drama (not Olamide's own) wink cheesy...WO! shocked

Yea, just like the Yorubas led in Medicine and education in general before the Internet happened and data became available and publicly accessible.

Calm down, Premium Times said they obtained data foe the three fields ie Medicine, Engineering and Law. They'd soon publish all and I'm sure you'd be disappointed.

Meanwhile, I did analyse those three with data from JAMB years ago on Nairaland. Here's the link - https://www.nairaland.com/541929/ndubuisi-ekekwe-afrit-africas-infotech/1#7051485

3 Likes

Re: These 4 States Produce Highest Number Of Medical Students - JAMB by bullofafrica: 11:12am On Mar 11, 2018
kenechi072:
Honestly Imo people are too educated and classy. Even the ones that didn't proceed to university are very enlightened. I really like them. They are quite different. Generally Igbos strive for the best. God bless all Igbos all around the world

yes Imo is small in size (land mass) but is big at heart.

4 Likes

Re: These 4 States Produce Highest Number Of Medical Students - JAMB by CSTR2: 11:16am On Mar 11, 2018
mercyville:

Ekiti is no longer an educational behemoth .

Lags behind many states in the SE and SS.

According to the Nuc, imo is the new professorial reservoir. You can look it up.

The SE have always been educational giants. The civil War slowed us down and allowed the southwest to catch up.

Now we are regaining our rightful place.

12 Likes 4 Shares

Re: These 4 States Produce Highest Number Of Medical Students - JAMB by Obi1kenobi(m): 11:16am On Mar 11, 2018
mercyville:

You do know your table doesn't indicate where the professors are from, right? Simply stating that SW universities have more professors than SE universities, therefore there are more Yoruba professors is a ridiculous interpretation of stats. How many Igbo people are professors in schools like Unilag, UI and ABU which are not in the SE? Did you take that into account?

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: These 4 States Produce Highest Number Of Medical Students - JAMB by mercyville: 11:17am On Mar 11, 2018
kutchs:

Why don't you give the states of origin of these professors? You and I know that there's a sizeable number of professors of SE extraction in places like UI, UNILAG and OAU while you may still get few of SW extraction in UNN, UNIZIK, FUTO, FUAU etc. At least I know Prof Olaitan at UNN.
Yorubas have more profs in the North than any and you can Google the Websites of all these schools to verify.Yorubas have more profs than Igbos home and abroad.
As per literacy or most educated,Yorubas are still up there:

2 Likes

Re: These 4 States Produce Highest Number Of Medical Students - JAMB by nowpresence(f): 11:18am On Mar 11, 2018
nwabobo:

Old Bendel is the Delta area and in Delta it's the Igbo area ie Anioma.
was it specified that it is the igbo part of delta?
Re: These 4 States Produce Highest Number Of Medical Students - JAMB by Nobody: 11:18am On Mar 11, 2018
One word, nairaland is full of immature belends who can only think along tribal lines .

Let me teach you people how to think .

You identify which tribes have comparative and competitive advantage in certain areas and then collaborate .

This silly behavior must be discouraged , we cannot go back into the 14th century in our thinking.

1 Like

Re: These 4 States Produce Highest Number Of Medical Students - JAMB by nwabobo: 11:18am On Mar 11, 2018
Leebeedo:

You just made a funny conclusion without thinking. What is the population in % of the so called Anioma in delta to have grossly affected performance index more than the Urhobo, Ijaw, itsekiri?

It's not about population but performance. That most educated and accomplished professionals from Delta stare are Anioma is not in contention.

3 Likes

Re: These 4 States Produce Highest Number Of Medical Students - JAMB by Nobody: 11:19am On Mar 11, 2018
kutchs:

u post it coz there is no where u won’t find Yoruba professor in Nigeria

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Oluchi Saw Her Death Coming –family Of Electrocuted UNILAG Student / Meet The Biggest Male Student In ESUT (Photos) / Autopsy Result Of Sylvester Oromoni Junior Has Been Released (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.