Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,241 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:45 AM

Obasanjo: Even Jesus Can’t Conduct Undisputed Elections - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obasanjo: Even Jesus Can’t Conduct Undisputed Elections (1263 Views)

Why INEC Can’t Conduct Kogi, Bayelsa Elections —femi Falana / Obasanjo: Even Jesus Can’t Conduct Undisputed Elections / Obasanjo: Even Jesus Can’t Conduct Undisputed Elections (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obasanjo: Even Jesus Can’t Conduct Undisputed Elections by greenavus: 8:18am On May 01, 2010
Former President Olusegun Obasanjo has said that not even “Jesus Christ” can conduct an acceptable election in Nigeria and that the nation would continue to have disputed election results except politicians are reformed.

Also yesterday, the Independent National Electoral Commission confirmed in a statement that Barrister Philip Umeadi, the most senior electoral commissioner at the commission, has taken over as acting chairman.
Obasanjo who spoke on Thursday night at the Leon H. Sullivan Dialogue on Nigeria held at the National Press Center, Washington DC, USA, was reacting to the removal of Professor Maurice Iwu as chairman of INEC. Link to full article via gistboard.com [url]http://www.gistboard.com/content/obasanjo-even-jesus-can%E2%80%99t-conduct-undisputed-elections[/url]
Re: Obasanjo: Even Jesus Can’t Conduct Undisputed Elections by kosovo(m): 8:21am On May 01, 2010
Typical OBJ . . . cheesy
Re: Obasanjo: Even Jesus Can’t Conduct Undisputed Elections by Favormi(m): 8:27am On May 01, 2010
Sure? Did he?
Re: Obasanjo: Even Jesus Can’t Conduct Undisputed Elections by Odunnu: 9:02am On May 01, 2010
I bet he was sticking hs fingr in2 hs nose while sayin it.
Re: Obasanjo: Even Jesus Can’t Conduct Undisputed Elections by excanny: 9:49am On May 01, 2010
this guy will surely go down in history, as propably, d greatest fool this country ever produced! grin
Re: Obasanjo: Even Jesus Can’t Conduct Undisputed Elections by migareigns(m): 10:36am On May 01, 2010
kosovo:

Typical OBJ . . . cheesy

The guy is just a classic case grin
Re: Obasanjo: Even Jesus Can’t Conduct Undisputed Elections by Pk001(m): 12:52pm On May 01, 2010
Let him be quoted right.

The former president who appointed the outgoing INEC boss said, “with all due respect, if Jesus Christ could come to the world and be the chairman of INEC, any election he would conduct will be disputed.”
Obasanjo said what was required was the urgent need to reform Nigerian politicians for the nation to have acceptable elections in 2011
“Since I got here three days ago, I understand that the chairman of INEC has been asked to go on leave. People have also talked about electoral reform.
“Quite honestly, I have said that I don’t understand in detail what this electoral reform is. One thing that we need to reform in our own society is the politician. We need to reform politicians,” Obasanjo stressed.
He said he first participated in elections in Nigeria in 1959 and since then, there has been no election conducted that has not been disputed.

“It will be difficult to have a perfect election. What is important is that the result of an election should reflect the will of the people,” he said.The former president also said he was optimistic about the role of the Nigerian youth in the future of the nation

http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=172241
Re: Obasanjo: Even Jesus Can’t Conduct Undisputed Elections by Dominoifet(m): 1:02pm On May 01, 2010

The former president who appointed the outgoing INEC boss said, “with all due respect, if Jesus Christ could come to the world and be the chairman of INEC, any election he would conduct will be disputed.”

Who does he think Jesus Christ is?

One of his colleague from Nigerian Open University exam hall (that brought him an expo), or a labourer in his barn?
He is a sorry case!!!
Re: Obasanjo: Even Jesus Can’t Conduct Undisputed Elections by naijamini(m): 1:58pm On May 01, 2010
Quoted right or not is not the problem with OBJ's statement. The problem is the lack responsibility for the outcome of their actions by Nigerian leaders. How can OBJ appoint Iwu, control the police and the funding for INEC, and then not see himself responsible for their failures. These are not lapses we are talking about, no we are talking about complete cluelessness about the job Iwu was supposed to be doing.

On another point OBJ is basically saying there is no hope for Nigeria, since I have yet to see a rehabilitation clinic for Nigeria politicians. Moreso, any politician anywhere would do what is "barely" legal to win an election. The challenge for those responsible for elections is to make "barely" legal very firm, otherwise give them an inch and they would take a mile.

Look Gen. OBJ, free and fair, undisputed elections were conducted in Nigeria, although to no avail at the end of the day. That was possible because the people really believed in the leaders they were about to elect - they saw hope: Hope '93, excellence seemed to be on the horizon, plans were drawn up to reform Nigeria and take her to the next level, and the campaign song - "On the Road Again" was irresistible (by the way look for IBB to start stealing some of Abiola's strategy in 2010 & 2011).

Their choice was not some seriously sick man that was being forced down their throat, another one completely embroiled in corruption & running on a party only months old or a former general whose only goal in Nigeria seems to be to walk into Aso Rock as President.

Pk001:

Let him be quoted right.

Obasanjo said what was required was the urgent need to reform Nigerian politicians for the nation to have acceptable elections in 2011
“Since I got here three days ago, I understand that the chairman of INEC has been asked to go on leave. People have also talked about electoral reform.
“Quite honestly, I have said that I don’t understand in detail what this electoral reform is. One thing that we need to reform in our own society is the politician. We need to reform politicians,” Obasanjo stressed.
He said he first participated in elections in Nigeria in 1959 and since then, there has been no election conducted that has not been disputed.

“It will be difficult to have a perfect election. What is important is that the result of an election should reflect the will of the people,” he said.The former president also said he was optimistic about the role of the Nigerian youth in the future of the nation

http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=172241
Re: Obasanjo: Even Jesus Can’t Conduct Undisputed Elections by Nobody: 2:04pm On May 01, 2010
People should leave religion for a second and consider the argument in its merit.

I think OBJ is right.

If Politicians and Nigerians in general don't change their attitude towards elections, nothing will work.
Re: Obasanjo: Even Jesus Can’t Conduct Undisputed Elections by Abeem(m): 2:44pm On May 01, 2010

He can't understand! The only thing he understands about politics is his politics of do-or-die, gangsterism and godfatherrism. His electoral legacy is the creation and unleashing of Chris Uba and Lamidi Adedibu on hapless Nigerian electorates.
Re: Obasanjo: Even Jesus Can’t Conduct Undisputed Elections by Nobody: 2:50pm On May 01, 2010
Obasanjo has not only lost the plot, in addition he has not got a clue.
Re: Obasanjo: Even Jesus Can’t Conduct Undisputed Elections by chidichris(m): 3:24pm On May 01, 2010
He can't understand! The only thing he understands about politics is his politics of do-or-die, gangsterism and godfatherrism. His electoral legacy is the creation and unleashing of Chris Uba and Lamidi Adedibu on hapless Nigerian electorates.
@Abeem,
i have lived in about five or six different countries in my life but i have never seen anything like obasanjo. with the way the man carries himself, i find it difficult to accept that nigeria is a country.
how can a country of more than 150 million ppl choose a morally dead and decomposed man as their leader.
no matter how intelligent he was, at his age, he will not be far from madness. obasanjo under normal circumstances, shld be made to be a spectector and not the active leader he chooses for himself.
a man who has no manners always ready to talk to press.
no wonder the country has no destination . all we know is that we are moving but we have no clue of where we are moving to.
yesterday, el rufai was on the wanted list, today, he is welcomed back home while ibori takes his place. 2007, atiku was confirmed a criminal, today, he is a kingmaker in the pdp.
if God can, let him destroy this country as we are not worthy to be arround.
Re: Obasanjo: Even Jesus Can’t Conduct Undisputed Elections by Chrisbenogor(m): 5:41pm On May 01, 2010
grin grin grin grin grin Even Jesus himself is still a disputed figure till today, his followers are disputed in over 30,000 denominations over what the right thing to do is. At least the muslims would not agree to the result of the election, you guys should give obj kudos oh!
Re: Obasanjo: Even Jesus Can’t Conduct Undisputed Elections by Dominoifet(m): 8:33pm On May 01, 2010
So the outcome of the 'politician reform' would be-to stage a third comeback for OBJ(in his mind), when his third term agenda failed, abi?

Now a reform is needed to recycle him back.

Sorry Jesus won't do it for him. OBJ should go and die on d cross and see how it is, afterall he said @ one time "he can die for Naija", OBoJo!!!
Re: Obasanjo: Even Jesus Can’t Conduct Undisputed Elections by Manu4ever(m): 8:54pm On May 01, 2010
IBB, OBJ etc Why do we still have dinosaurs controlling us? angry
Re: Obasanjo: Even Jesus Can’t Conduct Undisputed Elections by Dominoifet(m): 9:02pm On May 01, 2010
^
It is d f.cuking press. When those Homo erectus throw them so carot, off they go like parot. Newscavengers!!!
Re: Obasanjo: Even Jesus Can’t Conduct Undisputed Elections by MaiSuya(m): 9:19pm On May 01, 2010
Manu 4ever:

IBB, OBJ etc Why do we still have dinosaurs controlling us? angry

Prolly because the more evolved species - humans - have chosen better countries to govern. . .
Re: Obasanjo: Even Jesus Can’t Conduct Undisputed Elections by mamagee3(f): 9:23pm On May 01, 2010
Obasanjo is an entity who stole from the Government throughout his tenure and has no regret for his actions. . .
His reward would be just like that of Sani Abacha.
Re: Obasanjo: Even Jesus Can’t Conduct Undisputed Elections by redsun(m): 9:30pm On May 01, 2010
Obasanjo is a silver back chimp and the masses tend to be low profile and weaker chimps for playing along,he is the alpha male in chimps kingdom.
Re: Obasanjo: Even Jesus Can’t Conduct Undisputed Elections by mamagee3(f): 9:32pm On May 01, 2010
redsun:

Obasanjo is a silver back chimp and the masses tend to be low profile and weaker chimps for playing,he is the alpha male in chimps kingdom.
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Obasanjo: Even Jesus Can’t Conduct Undisputed Elections by Manu4ever(m): 9:43pm On May 01, 2010
Manu 4ever:

IBB, OBJ etc Why do we still have dinosaurs controlling us?  angry

Mai Suya:

Prolly because the more evolved species - humans - have chosen better countries to govern. . .

LOL. that is a good answer  grin
Re: Obasanjo: Even Jesus Can’t Conduct Undisputed Elections by redsun(m): 10:02pm On May 01, 2010
Nigeria is a classic case water water everywhere,no water to drink.With all the so-called educated,smart,humble and exposed nigeria,yet timid animals like obasanjo are making the rules.

Where did it all go wrong,that criminal,retards and dictators are the order of the day in nigeria?
Re: Obasanjo: Even Jesus Can’t Conduct Undisputed Elections by Nobody: 10:21pm On May 01, 2010
@ topic

shocked shocked

does this mean he's splitting from the religious right

(1) (Reply)

Senator Joy Emordi rival Alphonsus Igbeke Sworn In As Senator At Last / House Leadership Supports Power Deregulation ! / The Only Solution To The Chaos In Aba Is The Return Of Bakassi Boys

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.