Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,845 members, 7,841,205 topics. Date: Monday, 27 May 2024 at 01:10 AM

Some Rare Images Of Lagos, About 50years Ago. - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Some Rare Images Of Lagos, About 50years Ago. (31342 Views)

Rare Images From Abuja, The Pride Of Nigeria / Rare Images From Lagos, The Pride Of Nigeria / Rare Images Of RRS Team Fixing A Broken Down Truck At Ojota - Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Some Rare Images Of Lagos, About 50years Ago. by Nobody: 10:25am On Mar 17, 2018
See federal secretariat today. Abandoned

Re: Some Rare Images Of Lagos, About 50years Ago. by OnyeOGA(m): 10:25am On Mar 17, 2018
British don do work finish!
grin

1 Like

Re: Some Rare Images Of Lagos, About 50years Ago. by marvin906(m): 10:29am On Mar 17, 2018
Odingo1:

Yet your tribe shout the loudest one Nigeria

yeah when they see thieves trying to claim their land undecided undecided
Re: Some Rare Images Of Lagos, About 50years Ago. by Odingo1: 10:31am On Mar 17, 2018
Bolustical:
Lagos had been developed while their grandfathers were still living in thatched houses.

Even till now, none of five glorified villages is this developed.

Only a fool will leave his father's hut unkempt to clean strangers' mansion.
Stop typing trash, Lagos was built with Nigerian wealth the same way Abuja is been built now.

Stop taking glory of the effort of British and Nigeria for making lagos a befitting capital like other country capital like Accra, Abijan,Pretoria etc , is like Gwari people in Abuja jumping up and down that their homeland is more developed than other states in Nigeria.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Some Rare Images Of Lagos, About 50years Ago. by tobillionaire(m): 10:31am On Mar 17, 2018
lagos is better now, especially marina nd V.I... those houses beside the old cathedral church are now sky scrappers
yeyerolling:
See federal secretariat today. Abandoned
saw dat building the at ikoyi the other time and I was like 'y d f*ck is this building abandoned like this?

1 Like

Re: Some Rare Images Of Lagos, About 50years Ago. by marvin906(m): 10:32am On Mar 17, 2018
kaluxy007:

And jobless cone head Afonjas are roaming Nairaland chasing 1st to comment

one of the gala sellers spotted
abeg go and find one heavy traffic and sell your wares undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: Some Rare Images Of Lagos, About 50years Ago. by chigoziem10(f): 10:34am On Mar 17, 2018
Odingo1:
Lagos was built with Nigeria wealth, any other state can look like Lagos if the state was built with Nigeria wealth like Nigeria is building Abuja now.Most part of oil boom in 70s went into building lagos. British also channel all resources to lagos after making it Nigeria capital.
And Kano??

1 Like

Re: Some Rare Images Of Lagos, About 50years Ago. by bdsm: 10:36am On Mar 17, 2018
pictures like these reminds me of Nigeria highlife music e.g Naija Ile, sherikoko, give me high life, omo pupa, guitar and trumpet legends of the 60s and 70s.

1 Like

Re: Some Rare Images Of Lagos, About 50years Ago. by BdorianGray(m): 10:37am On Mar 17, 2018
ibkkk:
Wish I was born in those days.

Everything looks peaceful and natural.

Exactly my tots- quite a peaceful ambiance back then. Now its a little more developed but the ambiance is all HoT Mess...

I was born in those days but I wasn't a Nigerian....I didnt live very long though..
Well, am happy to be back as a Nigerian... grin
Re: Some Rare Images Of Lagos, About 50years Ago. by Odingo1: 10:40am On Mar 17, 2018
chigoziem10:

And Kano??
Kano is not built with Nigeria wealth, only two cities was developed solely by Nigeria, Lagos and Abuja

Lagos by British as capital of Nigeria 1914 till 1960 and Nigeria from 1960 till 1991

Abuja by Nigeria from 1991 till date

3 Likes

Re: Some Rare Images Of Lagos, About 50years Ago. by olatunjithomas(m): 10:41am On Mar 17, 2018
marvin906:
now our jobless brothers from the east have crowded the place selling
gala and la casera

You no mention fan milk?? ...cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Some Rare Images Of Lagos, About 50years Ago. by iguita: 10:42am On Mar 17, 2018
Second is the federal Secretariat, Ikoyi. The third is Cathedral Church, CMS. Fourth? Random as you said... Maybe Bar Breach.
shervydman:
First pics is d first storey building in Nigeria....badagry, Lagos, others are random.
Re: Some Rare Images Of Lagos, About 50years Ago. by iguita: 10:44am On Mar 17, 2018
I think population is one of the things that makes Lagos tick. It is why rent is expensive, it is why whatever you sale, you will make sales. Govt needs to find ways yo provide infrastructure and get payback via taxes
shervydman:
Mynd44 and lalasticlala ....... do u think Lagos is now better than before or the other way round??

But I think overpopulation is the major problem of Lagos.
Re: Some Rare Images Of Lagos, About 50years Ago. by BedLam: 10:45am On Mar 17, 2018
BdorianGray:

Exactly my tots- quite a peaceful ambiance back then. Now its a little more developed but the ambiance is all HoT Mess...

I was born in those days but I wasn't a Nigerian....I didnt live very long though..
Well, am happy to be back as a Nigerian... grin
Isn't it funny that people who personally haven't contributed anything to this development are being tribal ?

One thing I observed is that overpopulation is the worst thing to happen to a beautiful city, especially when that city isn't improving and developing exponentially.
This is the case of Lagos today...
Imagine the fewer cars and persons on the walkway.
Re: Some Rare Images Of Lagos, About 50years Ago. by marvin906(m): 10:45am On Mar 17, 2018
olatunjithomas:

You no mention fan milk?? ...cheesy cheesy cheesy

my guy u know their way

1 Like

Re: Some Rare Images Of Lagos, About 50years Ago. by Sinof(m): 10:48am On Mar 17, 2018
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

It would have been like a regular small town if not for the likes of Cosmas Maduka, Jim Ovia, Elumelu and other businessmen from the SouthEast that transformed it to a wonderland.
It Wasnt A Small Town Even In The Late 50s And 60s When This Pics Were Taken. How Come Maduka, Ovia And Elumelu That Were Toddlers Then Are The Ones That Transformed It To A Big City That It Already Was? Im From The S/south But I Bet U 1960s Lagos Had More Skyscrappers Than Any Other Major City In The The S/E, S/S And S/W Today.

2 Likes

Re: Some Rare Images Of Lagos, About 50years Ago. by BedLam: 10:49am On Mar 17, 2018
iguita:
I think population is one of the things that makes Lagos tick. It is why rent is expensive, it is why whatever you sale, you will make sales. Govt needs to find ways yo provide infrastructure and get payback via taxes
Whatever you sell in London, you makes sales. Overpopulation without futuristic development is a killer and that's where Lagos has found itself.

If we had developed, every industry would have followed as well...
Do you psychology is big business in advanced countries? But that same course has almost nothing in this country...then not to mention aeronautics and humanity.

Population without development is a reckless dystopia!

And nothing about Lagos that "ticks".
Re: Some Rare Images Of Lagos, About 50years Ago. by liri(m): 10:52am On Mar 17, 2018
... Meanwhile here's a very rare photo of the then electric meter... "the 10 kobo meter"

3 Likes

Re: Some Rare Images Of Lagos, About 50years Ago. by BdorianGray(m): 10:57am On Mar 17, 2018
BedLam:
Isn't it funny that people who personally haven't contributed anything to this development are being tribal ?

One thing I observed is that overpopulation is the worst thing to happen to a beautiful city, especially when that city isn't improving and developing exponentially.
This is the case of Lagos today...
Imagine the fewer cars and persons on the walkway.

U damn right! overpopulation is fast becoming a scourge in big cities the world over. Every one seem to wanna move to where they are likely to get economic stability...a place that seem to offer them the hope for a better living standard. It won't get any better...

1 Like

Re: Some Rare Images Of Lagos, About 50years Ago. by y0rmee: 11:00am On Mar 17, 2018
Hemanwel:

PS: Prof Dokubo used to be my church member here in Lagos. Won't divulge the nomenclature of the church for some reasons.

Who come ask you question??
Re: Some Rare Images Of Lagos, About 50years Ago. by Lomprico2: 11:05am On Mar 17, 2018
marvin906:
now our jobless brothers from the east have crowded the place selling
gala and la casera

In a nutshell, feeding ur lazy ass!

1 Like

Re: Some Rare Images Of Lagos, About 50years Ago. by MiamiePizza(m): 11:07am On Mar 17, 2018
shervydman:
See how beautiful Yaba looked in 1960 in d first pics.. the second and third pics is random Lagos while d fourth pics is bar beach.
Oh my Lagos, oh my naija
This was the good old days when the Zik of Africa, Baba Tafawa and uncle Awo was still with us. I still think our independence was too early, if we were colonize till 1993 like South Africa, Nigeria would have been a heaven on earth now. Forget say the British for pack lot of our resources go their land, a where person dey work he dey chop...we would have been better now

1 Like

Re: Some Rare Images Of Lagos, About 50years Ago. by misano(m): 11:08am On Mar 17, 2018
Sinof:
It Wasnt A Small Town Even In The Late 50s And 60s When This Pics Were Taken. How Come Maduka, Ovia And Elumelu That Were Toddlers Then Are The Ones That Transformed It To A Big City That It Already Was? Im From The S/south But I Bet U 1960s Lagos Had More Skyscrappers Than Any Other Major City In The The S/E, S/S And S/W Today.

Dis one go just dey talk round bush. Who built Lagos, is it ur farher? Abi na Tinubu? Face reality if D English men were still in charge of Lagos today u wouldn't have noticed how over populated Lagos is. They would have built better and wider bridges. Sub stations, environmentally friendly parks and more affordable homes.

4 Likes

Re: Some Rare Images Of Lagos, About 50years Ago. by jagorinho: 11:11am On Mar 17, 2018
Herdsmen:
Dead carcass humans from the oily soup region wan turn this thread tribal..

Meanwhile dia grandparents parents were busy in dia cave licking oil soup and brown poo.. mining skulls while cowardly fighting kiriji war..with dia juju cone head

Britain and Igbo don tidy Lagos finish..

Dem come the foam for mouth...

Oya..is been up to a century now..

Why not replicate same in their red oil invested ewedu region... Dem no fit..

Na to shout Igbo n Lagos...

What a shameless humans of a tribe..

I no call name..make conscience bury fools.
look at this old man, you said igbo tidy lagos, lol!!! it is a pity i cant post some documents here, but let me tell you, in terms of civillization no ethnic group comes near the yorubas, when did your people started wearing cloths? your people only came to lagos when everything is done and dusted, go and read about your history that is if you have one, trust me, when we were building an empire your people were naked roaming the eastern jungles looking for bush meat to devour raw.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Oshodi Bus Terminal Decaying, Motorists, Passengers Lament / Moving To Norway Soonest / The New BRT Fare Price

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.