Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,877 members, 7,810,335 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 07:20 AM

What Is The Simplest Meaning Of Life? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Is The Simplest Meaning Of Life? (4052 Views)

The Meaning Of Chukwu Abiama / The Origin And Meaning Of “august Visitor”. / Meaning Of Ash Wednesday And Why Anglicans Celebrate It (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Simplest Meaning Of Life? by Nobody: 12:42pm On Mar 24, 2018
If there were a philosophy section on Nairaland, I would have put this topic there but I think religion is the closest, even though this is not about religion.

I just want us to discuss what the meaning of life.
Re: What Is The Simplest Meaning Of Life? by Nobody: 12:43pm On Mar 24, 2018
I would say the simplest meaning is: what you use your life for gives the meaning.

A hammer has a definite meaning or purpose. You are not a hammer. You are a creator. You should be the master of your life, make some high quality meaning. You always mean something, but don’t let all others decide.

Most people seem to want to believe they were forged in the fires of creation and equipped with a meaning, and are ‘here’ to find and fulfil this meaning, haplessly looking for it. They often end up in the hands of a charlatan or a religious system claiming to have answers - to know the truth. How sad.

Source: Quora

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Simplest Meaning Of Life? by CuteMadridista: 12:46pm On Mar 24, 2018
Checking in.......
Re: What Is The Simplest Meaning Of Life? by harpy4(m): 12:52pm On Mar 24, 2018
In other words OP is saying "Man is a limitless possibility intrinsically undefined" Hmm sad
Re: What Is The Simplest Meaning Of Life? by plessis: 3:27pm On Mar 24, 2018
for now, we will not know the purpose of life. All Thanks to organized religion and european expansionism for destroying the ancient knowledge which was mostly intertwined to spirituality....now all knowledge we have is aimed at making us soldiers/slaves for the blind aimless crawling centipede called society.
Re: What Is The Simplest Meaning Of Life? by hakeem4(m): 5:51pm On Mar 24, 2018
There’s is no purpose. You can decide to make your life meaningful, that’s your cup of tea

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Simplest Meaning Of Life? by Kay17: 6:52pm On Mar 24, 2018
Perspectives:
I would say the simplest meaning is: what you use your life for gives the meaning.

A hammer has a definite meaning or purpose. You are not a hammer. You are a creator. You should be the master of your life, make some high quality meaning. You always mean something, but don’t let all others decide.

Most people seem to want to believe they were forged in the fires of creation and equipped with a meaning, and are ‘here’ to find and fulfil this meaning, haplessly looking for it. They often end up in the hands of a charlatan or a religious system claiming to have answers - to know the truth. How sad.

Source: Quora

Life as it covers plants animals and man?

Asking about the meaning of life suggests some purpose usefulness or utility of that life to either itself or to an extraneous being. The significance of purpose in the sense of use should be under scrutiny

Eventually our language and it's limits might be the hindrance and obstruction in redefining the meaning of life. Maybe there should be no such question.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is The Simplest Meaning Of Life? by Martinez19(m): 6:58pm On Mar 24, 2018
I would say the only purposes that are worthwhile in life are : love for each other, learning and advancing civilisation.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Simplest Meaning Of Life? by Nobody: 9:05pm On Mar 24, 2018
plessis:
for now, we will not know the purpose of life. All Thanks to organized religion and european expansionism for destroying the ancient knowledge which was mostly intertwined to spirituality....now all knowledge we have is aimed at making us soldiers/slaves for the blind aimless crawling centipede called society.

If the so called ancient knowledge and all its spirituality is valid, then how come we don't see it one way or the other. A lot of people are interested in it so saying that civilisation has buried it is just an excuse.

Maybe that's just the technology of the ancient era and is pronged to fade away like every other thing.

In that case, its not enough to define life.
Re: What Is The Simplest Meaning Of Life? by Nobody: 9:28pm On Mar 24, 2018
Kay17:

Asking about the meaning of life suggests some purpose usefulness or utility of that life to either itself or to an extraneous being. The significance of purpose in the sense of use should be under scrutiny

Eventually our language and it's limits might be the hindrance and obstruction in redefining the meaning of life. Maybe there should be no such question.

A thinker spotted smiley

Plants and animals(man inclusive) is a way to look at life, there are so many other elements of the universe.

Asking about the meaning of life does not compulsorily attach life to anything, for you to have mentioned it means it is in your subconscious that the purpose of life is to an extraneous being. Otherwise you wouldn't have mentioned it.

And the meaning of something does not autoamtically imply that such thing is purposeful or significant.

Lastly, language is only a means of communication, why should it limit the question. In philosophy, a thing is worth investigating, life is a thing. Hence, the question, what is the simplest meaning of life?
Re: What Is The Simplest Meaning Of Life? by correctguy101(m): 11:07pm On Mar 24, 2018
Kay17:

Despite asking it, there's no such question.
Re: What Is The Simplest Meaning Of Life? by correctguy101(m): 11:11pm On Mar 24, 2018
Perspectives:

A thinker spotted smiley

Plants and animals(man inclusive) is a way to look at life, there are so many other elements of the universe.

Asking about the meaning of life does not compulsorily attach life to anything, for you to have mentioned it means it is in your subconscious that the purpose of life is to an extraneous being. Otherwise you wouldn't have mentioned it.

And the meaning of something does not autoamtically imply that such thing is purposeful or significant.

Lastly, language is only a means of communication, why should it limit the question. In philosophy, a thing is worth investigating, life is a thing . Hence, the question, what is the simplest meaning of life?

Argh, life is a thing? ...

Sorry, I would like to hear more about this thing called life brother. Would really appreciate it

1 Like

Re: What Is The Simplest Meaning Of Life? by Nobody: 11:22pm On Mar 24, 2018
correctguy101:

Argh, life is a thing? ...

Sorry, I would like to hear more about this thing called life brother. Would really appreciate it

Most of people here on nairaland always looking for how to disprove each other to score points. I hope you are not one of them.

Well, since you want to know, the thing in this concept is not your usual everyday inanimate thing that you might be thinking. It is an epistemological concept that brings knowledge of stuffs that exist. So, is life a concept, something you can think about, something that has some sort of knowledge revolving around it, then its a thing.
Re: What Is The Simplest Meaning Of Life? by Nobody: 11:24pm On Mar 24, 2018
correctguy101:

Despite asking it, there's no such question.

How can you say there is no such question?

For the fact that it has been asked already makes it one, so what are you saying?
Re: What Is The Simplest Meaning Of Life? by 1stSonOfLucifer(m): 11:33pm On Mar 24, 2018
To me, life is just anything that's useful or "usefulness"
Re: What Is The Simplest Meaning Of Life? by correctguy101(m): 11:36pm On Mar 24, 2018
Perspectives:

How can you say there is no such question?

For the fact that it has been asked already makes it one, so what are you saying?

There isn't and now, glory be to you, there is.

I only commented in relation to the post I replied. I assure you I'm not one who disprove just for likes or online applauds. Them dey exchange am for money? undecided

The way I understand it, you already answered your question. And I possibly can't disprove a thinkers thoughts on an issue. We all learn from each other and I tell you I am and will forever remain a student for there are many things to learn.
Re: What Is The Simplest Meaning Of Life? by correctguy101(m): 11:39pm On Mar 24, 2018
Perspectives:

Most of people here on nairaland always looking for how to disprove each other to score points. I hope you are not one of them.

Well, since you want to know, the thing in this concept is not your usual everyday inanimate thing that you might be thinking. It is an epistemological concept that brings knowledge of stuffs that exist. So, is life a concept, something you can think about, something that has some sort of knowledge revolving around it, then its a thing.

Why una like big grammar like this.

A lot of people are reading too bro. The meaning would evaporate and be lost with the use of uncommon terms. Make it simple and you too will understand if you understand it all and I know you're smart and you'll understand.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Simplest Meaning Of Life? by Nobody: 11:50pm On Mar 24, 2018
correctguy101:

Its very obvious you don't read that much for you to think this question doesn't exist.

Honestly, the aim of this thread is to share thoughts. Am sure you saw people that commented before you sharing their thoughts. I don't know where you are trying to drive your own point to.

About my grammar, am not sorry you don't understand and btw, let people speak for themselves too.
Re: What Is The Simplest Meaning Of Life? by correctguy101(m): 11:58pm On Mar 24, 2018
Perspectives:

Its very obvious you don't read that much for you to think this question doesn't exist.

Honestly, the aim of this thread is to share thoughts. Am sure you saw people that commented before you sharing their thoughts. I don't know where you are trying to drive your own point to.

About my grammar, am not sorry you don't understand and btw, let people speak for themselves too.

I was trying to let you know something. You can't explain what you don't understand and if you can't make a 10year old understand something, it shows that you don't know what you're talking about too. Why am I even explaining?

correctguy101:
There isn't and now, glory be to you, there is.

That was my statement on life in relation to the arrival of the thread.
What can daddy do now that you seem irritated at my comment?

Go with divinity's blessings
Re: What Is The Simplest Meaning Of Life? by Nobody: 12:32am On Mar 25, 2018
correctguy101:

I was trying to let you know something. You can't explain what you don't understand and if you can't make a 10year old understand something, it shows that you don't know what you're talking about too. Why am I even explaining?

That was my statement on life in relation to the arrival of the thread.
What can daddy do now that you seem irritated at my comment?

Go with divinity's blessings

Sorry man, I don't know a thing you are talking about. Go in peace.
Re: What Is The Simplest Meaning Of Life? by Kay17: 12:39am On Mar 25, 2018
Perspectives:

A thinker spotted smiley

Lastly, language is only a means of communication, why should it limit the question. In philosophy, a thing is worth investigating, life is a thing. Hence, the question, what is the simplest meaning of life?

I doubt if i was able to pass across my point on language. Language by its use smuggles some unquestioned assumptions and subtle meanings that to the unwary observer, it would lend or obscure a view perspective.

Within the context of the question here on the meaning of life, it is possible that language has obscured and even introduced an additional assumptions on where the meaning of life leads. Hence it is necessary to cross examine the words and context of this important question of life

Our common understanding of meaning is connected to our unique use of tools. We actively manipulate the environment for our use and within this experience we project meaning to be inextricably attached to tools. A bottle of chilled coca cola is to satisfy our thirst, a hammer is to drive a nail into a plank or wherever. A nail is to bind a plank together. An ocean is a means of transport and global resource for fishermen.

Now if animals of the lower intelligence were lent a voice to speak on the meaning or purpose of life they might find such a question nonsensical due to their lack of familiarity with tools. The lack of this human ex experience with tools will colour their and our respective perspectives.
Re: What Is The Simplest Meaning Of Life? by orisa37: 7:04am On Mar 25, 2018
Do you believe in God, The Creator of Heaven and Earth and All there is in them? If so, Life is purely Religious and It's The Breath of The Creator. Life is breathing, seeing, hearing, smelling, talking and moving. Reclassified, Life is AIM, meaning Actions, Interactions and movements. Life is feeling, thinking and reasoning. Life is a Spirit, fathered by Discerning Spirit and mothered by The Spirit of Understanding. Such is Life !!!
Re: What Is The Simplest Meaning Of Life? by Kay17: 8:57am On Mar 25, 2018
orisa37:
Do you believe in God, The Creator of Heaven and Earth and All there is in them? If so, Life is purely Religious and It's The Breath of The Creator. Life is breathing, seeing, hearing, smelling, talking and moving. Reclassified, Life is AIM, meaning Actions, Interactions and movements. Life is feeling, thinking and reasoning. Life is a Spirit, fathered by Discerning Spirit and mothered by The Spirit of Understanding. Such is Life !!!

This begs the question does the creator need us or do we need the creator?
Re: What Is The Simplest Meaning Of Life? by Emmanystone: 10:11am On Mar 25, 2018
Kay17:

If the creator needs us, what can we do or give to the creator to add or improve him?
Re: What Is The Simplest Meaning Of Life? by Kay17: 10:28am On Mar 25, 2018
Emmanystone:

If the creator needs us, what can we do or give to the creator to add or improve him?

If the creator is transcendental then it would imply he has no need or use for life on earth hence no utility for man himself
Re: What Is The Simplest Meaning Of Life? by Emmanystone: 11:00am On Mar 25, 2018
Kay17:

If the creator is transcendental then it would imply he has no need or use for life on earth hence no utility for man himself
You didn't answer my question. You and YHWH who needs who? If he needs you, what can you add to him to improve him?
Re: What Is The Simplest Meaning Of Life? by Kay17: 11:19am On Mar 25, 2018
Emmanystone:

You didn't answer my question. You and YHWH who needs who? If he needs you, what can you add to him to improve him?

Which was what i tacitly agreed with you
Re: What Is The Simplest Meaning Of Life? by Nobody: 12:16pm On Mar 25, 2018
Kay17:

I doubt if i was able to pass across my point on language. Language by its use smuggles some unquestioned assumptions and subtle meanings that to the unwary observer, it would lend or obscure a view perspective.

Within the context of the question here on the meaning of life, it is possible that language has obscured and even introduced an additional assumptions on where the meaning of life leads. Hence it is necessary to cross examine the words and context of this important question of life

Our common understanding of meaning is connected to our unique use of tools. We actively manipulate the environment for our use and within this experience we project meaning to be inextricably attached to tools. A bottle of chilled coca cola is to satisfy our thirst, a hammer is to drive a nail into a plank or wherever. A nail is to bind a plank together. An ocean is a means of transport and global resource for fishermen.

Now if animals of the lower intelligence were lent a voice to speak on the meaning or purpose of life they might find such a question nonsensical due to their lack of familiarity with tools. The lack of this human ex experience with tools will colour their and our respective perspectives.

You made a very valid point about how language might have affected the perception of the term meaning.

However, i'll still like to think that even though lower animals might not use our means of language communication, they have a way of communicating in their own ways. They have colonies and relationships, so they do communicate just like every other organisms.

Its not wrong to attach usefulness as the meaning of something, sometimes the two cannot be separated (meaning and use)even though I was against that in my previous post. What I was saying is , the meaning of something doesn't translate that it is useful or purposeful. It is still the meaning.

Now, back to the question, if lower animals were to answer the question, what is the meaning of life? It would still be in the same context that we are talking about here, thé only change in the answer will be affected by the variable, which is the perspective by which the perceive life to be.

So I disagree that language has in any way obscured the meaning.
Re: What Is The Simplest Meaning Of Life? by Nobody: 12:21pm On Mar 25, 2018
orisa37:

Kay17:

I do not have any problem with the existence of the creator. However, with what the creator created. Did the creator create only heaven and earth? What about other planets? What about the space?

My point is simply that we are just a very negligible percentage of what exists in life, in that case, how can we say the creator needs us? Are we not feeling too important ourselves as helpless as we are.
Re: What Is The Simplest Meaning Of Life? by orisa37: 1:39pm On Mar 25, 2018
Kay17:

He needs us.
Bill Gates asks our F.G to balance Nigerians Mental and Stomach Infrastructures for good economic and social wellbeings of Nigeria. He wants Buhari to need all of us and use us all for his plan for Nigeria. God has just shown that He needed Bill Gates for a Message to Nigerians.
Re: What Is The Simplest Meaning Of Life? by Emmanystone: 1:47pm On Mar 25, 2018
Kay17:

Which was what i tacitly agreed with you
You tacitly agreed with me that you need God or God needs you? Which? Let's not be coy here. Be direct.
Re: What Is The Simplest Meaning Of Life? by Kay17: 5:56pm On Mar 25, 2018
Emmanystone:

You tacitly agreed with me that you need God or God needs you? Which? Let's not be coy here. Be direct.

God, includes every imaginable creator, wouldn't need humans because of his self sufficiency. Invariably humans would not have a purpose as a hammar does.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Bible Believers Games / Messages From Lord Jesus To Earth For Endtime And Rapture / Euthanasia And Religion(christianity)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.