Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,718 members, 7,809,724 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:57 PM

Should Abortion Be Legalized In Nigeria? - Health (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Should Abortion Be Legalized In Nigeria? (15244 Views)

Should Abortion Be Legalised?? / I Took Abortion Drug, But Didn't Bleed, Am I Still Pregnant? / Doctor Sleeps With Married Lady During Abortion While Husband Waits Outside (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should Abortion Be Legalized In Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:54am On Mar 30, 2018
SnakeChopMoney:

Should murder and gay marriage be legalized in Nigeria ??

Drop that thing you've been smoking, your brain is already dead

You should be talking about how to develop and fix your country and not how to slaughter innocent babies that were brought into the world by 2 idiots who can't use a 20 naira condom or control their sexual urge

Mr know it all.Not every abortion is as a result of premarital or illicit sex. Some can be as a result of complications that is life threatening to the mother of the child....

2 Likes

Re: Should Abortion Be Legalized In Nigeria? by kennycalls(m): 5:56am On Mar 30, 2018
No, Biko!! We don't want to add to our woes.... That is when some prophet will come and tell us our too many sins is why we are getting bad leadership and there's a place called sin city in America still they don't get bad leadership..�������..am fed up��

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should Abortion Be Legalized In Nigeria? by MrPresident1: 6:07am On Mar 30, 2018
1Sharon:
Bunch of hypocrites in Nigeria.

They are OK to have pre-marital sex but when an unwanted pregnancy results, they are quick to say abortion is bad and against their religion. But does ur religion allow sex before marriage?

Acting so prudish but do the worst.

Lepa, something is wrong with you o. What is the meaning of this trash? The world is underpopulated, the earth has enough for everyman's need, but it cannot accommodate the extraordinary greed of the basest of men.

Abortion is not bad, it is evil! If we had our way, and not being subject to the ruling ideology that owns this world presently, women should get married as soon as they are biologically able to do so, this is the plan of God for the world, but satan has turned everything upside down.

We will continue to procreate, and I encourage my people to continue to give birth, we say an UNEQUIVOCAL NO to legalisation of abortion.

Lepa, if you do not know, let me tell you, and I will show you proof, the Caucasian, the one who is telling us that the world is overpopulated is no longer able to breed, he is dying out

Spanish government creates new sex position to stimulate low birth rate

The Spanish government has taken a radical step to arrest the country's declining birth rate – by creating the position of a ‘Sex Tsar’. It’s part of a bid to encourage a baby boom and counteract the population slump.
https://www.rt.com/viral/378753-spain-birth-sex-tsar/

Germany’s fertility rate hits 33-year high due to migrant influx

The EU’s most populous country has reversed demographic trends going back decades, with statistics showing that the rise in fertility is almost exclusively down to immigrant women, while the lifetime birthrates among the German population remain static.
https://www.rt.com/news/363064-germany-fertility-rate-immigrants/

Germany records highest birth rate since 1970s
Germany recorded a bounce in the birth rate in 2016, official statistics showed Wednesday. The country hit a 43-year high helped along by large numbers of recently-arrived migrants, AFP reported. Some 792,131 children were born in Europe’s most populous nation in 2016, federal statistics authority Destatis said, an increase of 7 percent over the previous year. While German women had some 3 percent more babies than in 2015, at 607,500, non-German births increased 25 percent, to 184,660. “The number of women from countries with traditionally higher tendency to bear children increased” following a surge in migration in 2015-16, Destatis said. Those years saw more than a million people arrive in Germany, many from conflict hotspots in the Middle East.
https://www.rt.com/newsline/422610-germany-highest-birth-rate/

Low male fertility caused by sunscreen, everyday plastics – scientist
Low fertility rates have been blamed on everything from laptops to cycling – but a scientist now claims that other common items are also diminishing men's chances of fatherhood. From sunscreen to frying pans, he says men aren't as safe as they thought.
According to Danish researcher Niels Jorgensen, certain chemicals are responsible for low fertility rates – and those chemicals are found all around us.
https://www.rt.com/news/268102-harmful-plastics-low-fertility/

Sperm abnormality, possible infertility linked to air pollution - study
Men who dream of becoming a father may want to make sure they're living in a place with good air quality. A new study has found a link between air pollution and abnormal sperm, potentially leading to infertility.
The research, led by scientists from the Chinese University of Hong Kong, studied the sperm of 6,475 male participants in Taiwan. All of the volunteers were between the ages of 15 and 49, and participated in a standard medical examination program between 2001 and 2014.
https://www.rt.com/news/410637-sperm-infertility-air-quality/

Another banking crisis in the UK – donor sperm shortages

A shortage of donor sperm in the UK is thought to have been caused by the removal of donor anonymity in 2005, when people conceived by sperm donation received the right to discover their donor’s name.
However, according to the latest figures of the UK Government HFEA (Human Fertilisation and Embryology Authority), sperm donor numbers are on the rise. Fertility experts state that a shortage does exist, but the problem needs a more complex solution, rather than just reinstating anonymity.
The demand for donor insemination in the UK is approximately 4,000 patients per year, which requires about 500 sperm donors to be recruited each year. About 96% of those who apply to donate sperm are rejected because of poor sperm quality, concerns about sexually transmitted diseases or their genetic history.
https://www.rt.com/news/uk-donor-sperm-shortages/

While they are looking for ways to increase their own population, they are telling you that you are overpopulated and sublimely pushing you to consider legalising abortions. Sharon bi won ba n tan e, o je ma tan ra re Even in your UK, they are looking for quality sperm! Nonsense!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should Abortion Be Legalized In Nigeria? by InvertedHammer: 6:09am On Mar 30, 2018
/
Even some people here would have been better aborted.

/
Re: Should Abortion Be Legalized In Nigeria? by MrPresident1: 6:15am On Mar 30, 2018
‘Australian women need Muslim men to fertilize them,’ says halal food chief in Facebook rant

The head of a Muslim food certification body in Australia has said “Australian women need [Muslim men] to fertilize them,” causing an online outcry.
Mohamed Elmouelhy, the head of the Halal Certification Authority in Australia, wrote on his Facebook page that Australian women needed male Muslims because men in the country “are a dying breed.”

“Australian women need us to fertilize them and keep them surrounded by Muslim babies while beer swilling, cigarette smoking, drug injecting can only dream of what Muslim men are capable of,” his post read.

He added that Muslims “have a duty to make your [Australian women] happy.”

Elmouelhy concluded that the white race in the country “will be extinct in another 40 years” if Australia “is left to bigots.”

https://www.rt.com/viral/397837-australia-muslim-women-sperm/
cc 1sharon

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should Abortion Be Legalized In Nigeria? by MrPresident1: 6:16am On Mar 30, 2018
Great balls of fire! Mobile phones are ‘cooking’ men’s sperm

Using a mobile phone for even one hour a day can be so damaging to sperm that men may develop difficulties conceiving, fertility experts have warned.

A study by British scientists has found that exposure to mobile phones close to the testicles, or within a foot or two of the body, can ‘cook’ sperm, dramatically reducing its levels.

Results from the study showed that men who keep their phones in their pocket during the day had reduced sperm levels in 47 percent of cases, as opposed to just 11 percent of the general population.

More than 100 men were analyzed in the study, which found that men not only keep mobile phones close to their groin, but also keep charging phones a few centimeters from their beds.

The study, published in the journal Reproductive BioMedicine, suggests that leaving phones near the bed while sleeping can also pose a threat to sperm counts.

https://www.rt.com/uk/333265-mobile-phones-sperm-count/
cc 1sharon

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should Abortion Be Legalized In Nigeria? by MrPresident1: 6:23am On Mar 30, 2018
1sharon, here is your magnum opus, you need to liberate our mind.

This here below is why they tell you you are overpopulated when in actual fact you are grossly underpopulated; there is enough for everymans need but not enough for the some people's greed!

Humanity at risk as sperm levels among Western men plummet to record low

Chemicals, diet, stress, and lifestyle choices have caused the sperm levels of Western men to plummet to less than 50 percent of what they were four decades ago, a new study has found.

The research found that sperm in the ejaculate of men from Europe, North America, Australia, and New Zealand fell by 1.4 percent every year between 1973 2011, leading to an overall drop of just over 52 percent.

“The results are quite shocking,” said study co-author Hagai Levine, an epidemiologist from the Hebrew University of Jerusalem, according to Reuters. He called the results an "urgent wake-up call" and told the BBC: "Eventually we may have a problem, and with reproduction in general, and it may be the extinction of the human species."
Levine added that while fertility treatments such as IVF can sometimes offer solutions to the procreating problem, little is being done to address the root of the issue - an overall general decline in men's health.

Poor sperm counts have also been associated with testicular cancer, increased male mortality rates, children born with one or both testicles missing, and the onset of male puberty, according to the researchers.

Environmental influences, heat, lifestyle factors, diet, stress, smoking, and obesity - both prenatally and in adult life - have all been “plausibly associated” with the decline, according to the study.

“Therefore, sperm count may sensitively reflect the impacts of the modern environment on male health throughout the life course,” the paper reads.

In particular, the paper notes, chemical exposures or maternal smoking “during critical windows of male reproductive development may play a role in prenatal life, while lifestyle changes and exposure to pesticides may play a role in adult life.”
Published in the medical journal Human Reproduction Update, the “rigorous and comprehensive” research analyzed data from 185 studies. Researchers from Israel, Denmark, the US, Brazil, and Spain took part in the study.

The trend has not been recorded among men in Africa, Asia, or South America, though the authors concede that fewer studies have been carried out in those regions.

The study’s authors have called for urgent work to narrow down the causes for the decline in sperm levels among Western men.

“This definitive study shows, for the first time, that this decline is strong and continuing,” said one of the study’s authors, Professor Shanna Swan of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai.

https://www.rt.com/viral/397538-sperm-low-western-men/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should Abortion Be Legalized In Nigeria? by Leonbonapart(m): 6:35am On Mar 30, 2018
bhlesingglory:
Good pm Nairalanders,
My friends and I were in an argument about the issue of abortion. Some were of the opinion that it should be legalized while some were against it.
Personally, I think we all should look beyond the religious views on this and so be factual about it. In Nigeria, abortion is illegal but it hasn't stopped ladies from getting their pregnancy aborted, that so, from quacks. This,most times leads to several complications and even death.

So Nairalanders, i want to know your takes on this issue.
to look beyond religious view and legalize murdering of infants. Na only God go make am better for you....son of belial

1 Like

Re: Should Abortion Be Legalized In Nigeria? by Leonbonapart(m): 6:36am On Mar 30, 2018
1Sharon:
Bunch of hypocrites in Nigeria.

They are OK to have pre-marital sex but when an unwanted pregnancy results, they are quick to say abortion is bad and against their religion. But does ur religion allow sex before marriage?

Acting so prudish but do the worst.
you are the devil himself
Re: Should Abortion Be Legalized In Nigeria? by Leonbonapart(m): 6:39am On Mar 30, 2018
kimbraa:
Nigerians are such hypocrites. The ones that'll be screaming 'No' would've aided and abetted abortion in one way or the other in secrecy but act all sanctimonious in public. grin

Personally, I think the Nigerian government is deceiving herself 'cause what is termed illegal is highly on the increase so why not just legalise it? Though, I think there are conditions on the code of conduct that supports abortion.
if you were aborted , the world would have less worry of one eediot. But no to it

1 Like

Re: Should Abortion Be Legalized In Nigeria? by Teespice(f): 6:46am On Mar 30, 2018
this topic is actually a dicey one.

there are two groups, pro life and pro choice.

the mindset of a pro life is that abortion is a no no. reverse is that of pro choice.

in Nigeria, abortion is seen as a crime in the criminal code (forgotten the section).

see ehn, Nigeria is a very religious and morally upright country (tongue in cheek) where topics like this are seen as an aberration. then again, abortion is done in secret and codedly (those who do several abortions do not do them by themselves).

anyhoo, it is in our statute books which makes it illegal and punishable. then again, why criminalise abortion when worse crimes occur almost on a daily basis?

1 Like

Re: Should Abortion Be Legalized In Nigeria? by Hahnemann: 6:51am On Mar 30, 2018
Dheartless:
grin
Although I think it's currently a crime to do abortion in Nigeria but...
NO need to debate on this whether it is allowed or not allowed there's is a simple option for abortion so...
just get cytotech,cypotech cyprotech ...infact any drugs starting with cy and ending with tech...contact me and I will give you prescriptions..
up to 6 months pregnancy abortion possible at 98% safety...

these slay mamas need it ...otherwise they'll produce more slay mamas.

U are completely out of your mind here, I'm going to report this your comment to the appropriate authorities so you can face the full rot of the law.
Re: Should Abortion Be Legalized In Nigeria? by ibnchokomah(m): 6:53am On Mar 30, 2018
Octaves:
no the odds are not in favor. if simbi allows uche to impregnate her against her parents advice. then she should face the music. that baby may become her meal ticket tomorrow. pregnancies where the health of the 'mother' is at risk are a different question.

FYI: planned parenthood is already being defunded
You don't deal with life based on probabilities. Simbi should be the judge of that. Why didn't you address the other points raised? Secondly republicans are conservative hence the defund. It doesn't mean that it didn't work

1 Like

Re: Should Abortion Be Legalized In Nigeria? by opribo(m): 7:02am On Mar 30, 2018
What is bad is bad, it doesn't have to names to it.

I know sometimes people are raped by close relationship, robbers, bad friends etc and they get pregnant.

Such circumstances are r
Re: Should Abortion Be Legalized In Nigeria? by ceejayblingz(f): 7:04am On Mar 30, 2018
If u like shout no from now till whenever d world decides to end, it's ur business.
Making it legal will only help reduce mortality rate which arise through visiting quacks
It could be ur daughter tomorrow who will visit a quack and who can predict d end result?

Last last wetin concern me sef?
Ona Weldon o

1 Like

Re: Should Abortion Be Legalized In Nigeria? by Omuneizzy6(m): 7:11am On Mar 30, 2018
No let murdering be allowed and less see the population of this country, just like asking should fornication be legalized in the kingdom of God.
Re: Should Abortion Be Legalized In Nigeria? by Nickizoe(f): 7:15am On Mar 30, 2018
It should be regelized please. A whole bunch of people have died through visiting quacks Doc and self medication too... Nothing is so Damn wrong with it...
Re: Should Abortion Be Legalized In Nigeria? by biggieoflife: 7:18am On Mar 30, 2018
My thoughts on abortion.
1) The heart of a foetus starts beating at 6 weeks.
2) Terminating the foetus at that point means taking a life.
3) Taking a life to correct a ‘mistake’ should be illegal.
4) But we don’t have to be too idealistic because we live in Nigeria. Even though it’s illegal, people adopt everyday using quack doctors, dangerously powerful drugs and untested techniques from old midwife tales.
5) if abortion were legalized, people would be able to go and safely carry out the procedure at registered hospitals.
6) But because it involves termination of human life, it is murder.

That’s my dilemma in a nutshell
Re: Should Abortion Be Legalized In Nigeria? by biggieoflife: 7:20am On Mar 30, 2018
Nickizoe:
It should be regelized please. A whole bunch of people have died through visiting quacks Doc and self medication too... Nothing is so Damn wrong with it...

What’s wrong with it is that the heart of a foetus starts beating at 6 months.
If people want to terminate human life so as to correct their mistake. WRONG
Re: Should Abortion Be Legalized In Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:24am On Mar 30, 2018
Bibors:
There are issues that should never be rationalised.
We are talking about terminating a human life here.
A life that we cannot phantom how it was created.
Being a single mum is a better situation than terminating a life.
Giving the child to foster parents is a better option than abortion.
Don't kill what you can't create.
does that sound realistic to you, how many people you know are foster parents or willing to adopt even if they are infertile, almost none.
Abortion should be legalised not because it is a sin, but because if it becomes legalised it becomes safe, preventing many future mothers from dying in the hands of quacks. No matter how much you say no, many women will still do it anyways. Let us stop dexeiving ourselves with religion and culture.

So my answer is YES, YES and YES.
Re: Should Abortion Be Legalized In Nigeria? by Ladyhippolyta88(f): 7:24am On Mar 30, 2018
Doctormarrvin:
I see your point. Not all the children will be terrorists or nuisances. I can imagine alot of exceptional geniuses have been aborted too. Kids who would have cured cancer or Aids or make alot of positive impacts on the world. I understand your stance though.
This is actually a consolation on your part.Some people would tell you that it is when we are born that man shapes his own destiny and that the destiny of an unborn child is null and void.Anyway I see your point it is a free world after all we just need to plan well so that issues like abortions would not arise at all.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should Abortion Be Legalized In Nigeria? by Evangelistofluv: 7:25am On Mar 30, 2018
I will say No. Already our girls are bad in it, if you now tag legality to it, then girls would go Gaga and bleeping overboard. Hahahaha
Re: Should Abortion Be Legalized In Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:31am On Mar 30, 2018
biggieoflife:
My thoughts on abortion.
1) The heart of a foetus starts beating at 6 weeks.
2) Terminating the foetus at that point means taking a life.
3) Taking a life to correct a ‘mistake’ should be illegal.
4) But we don’t have to be too idealistic because we live in Nigeria. Even though it’s illegal, people adopt everyday using quack doctors, dangerously powerful drugs and untested techniques from old midwife tales.
5) if abortion were legalized, people would be able to go and safely carry out the procedure at registered hospitals.
6) But because it involves termination of human life, it is murder.

That’s my dilemma in a nutshell
in that case, all deworming medicines should be illegal. There are many similarities between a tapeworm and a fetus. They both depend on the host to survive by living in the host. They can both affect the health of the host or in this case the mother.
A fetus is just a modified parasite that has a shorter tenacy agreement with the mother. What makes it different is that it has the tendency to either be a blessing or menace to society.

1 Like

Re: Should Abortion Be Legalized In Nigeria? by biggieoflife: 7:33am On Mar 30, 2018
omocalabar:
An unborn baby has no soul..they are referred to as "it"...not he or she...so it is not yet human till it's out of the womb

No soul? What does that mean?

At 6 weeks, there’s already an heartbeat.

Even a baby that is born is referred to as ‘it’
Re: Should Abortion Be Legalized In Nigeria? by Adegboye15(m): 7:36am On Mar 30, 2018
Noooooooo
Re: Should Abortion Be Legalized In Nigeria? by Chari4: 7:38am On Mar 30, 2018
YES! I am a christian and personally do not condone pre marital sex but it happens in as much as we deny it. Our self righteousness has made even schools not to adequately teach about sex education, most young people don't even know their safe period talk more of when they are pregnant. Eventually they find out late and try to remove it from quacks and losing their wombs. First things first, sex education should be included in schools curriculum 2ndly: contraceptives shoukd be made available to any child above 13 (God forbid they do that in Nija Cox we still believe everyone is a virgin. INDEED) finally : abortion should be legal, one of the highest cause of maternal mortality is ABORTION ( done in facility not equipped enough by personnel not skilled enough because the skilled one Won't do it because of the law). We are constantly loosing young ones for problems we have turned a blind eye towards.in conclusion if step 1 and 2 are done the need for abortion, unwanted pregnancies, unemployment and crime rates will reduce.
N.B: medical personnel shoukd also be given the option to choose if they want to do it or refer to another (to respect their religious beliefs) . It's a win win.
Re: Should Abortion Be Legalized In Nigeria? by Fortuneoo: 7:42am On Mar 30, 2018
That is the right of a woman to decide. If the answer is NO, what would be your decision if your own daughter, sister or wife is raped by a mad man or armed robber and she gets pregnant afterwards?
Re: Should Abortion Be Legalized In Nigeria? by Saintdaprince(m): 7:42am On Mar 30, 2018
We all have spoken as a result of the light we have received. Let me ask a general question. With it we can understand where I am trying to point at. What if our parents wasn't married when our dear super and wonderful mum gave birth to us? Let say they were just dating and our mum got pregnant? If the had aborted that pregnancy, believe you me, there would be no you and I today.

Also the only way I support abortion is when a married woman is pregnant and her pregnancy is endangering her life and there are complications, We will recommend for D/C to flush out the fetus and save the life of the mother.

Abortion is a crime.
Re: Should Abortion Be Legalized In Nigeria? by Doctormarrvin: 7:43am On Mar 30, 2018
Ladyhippolyta88:
This is actually a consolation on your part.Some people would tell you that it is when we are born that man shapes his own destiny and that the destiny of an unborn child is null and void.Anyway I see your point it is a free world after all we just need to plan well so that issues like abortions would not arise at all.
I guess I got all sentimental last night,i'll admit. I understand now that some people don't have choices and there are some scenarios that may even warrant an abortion because I did my research last night. Thanks for keeping this argument insults free. smiley

2 Likes

Re: Should Abortion Be Legalized In Nigeria? by Doctormarrvin: 7:49am On Mar 30, 2018
fabienjoe:

Abortion does not murder great minds any more than it murders armed robbers and dregs of the earth. In fact, a child brought up by a couple unprepared for his or her arrival is not likely to turn out a great mind so there you go..

Having said this, abortion is reprehensible. I would never advise anyone to go through with it. In fact I've advised quite a few against it but I realise that when women are set on having an abortion, common sense flies out of the window. They usually get it. To me, it should be a moral, rather than legal issue. People should decide it is morally wrong and avoid it. But if they decide to go through with it, I honestly do not think the law should stand in their way. Even though it is illegal now, I've never come across anyone that failed to procure it because it is illegal or jailed for aborting a pregnancy. So what's the point of a law that is invariably observed in the breach?
I understand what you're trying to say. I got sentimental last night and the abortion topic just sounded wrong to me. I'm also looking at it from the many worlds interpretation angle,i think the theory is self explanatory so I'lld really want you to look it up. Thanks for your detailed explanation bro.
Re: Should Abortion Be Legalized In Nigeria? by sammy4life2(m): 7:56am On Mar 30, 2018
NurseJay:
If only the real president of Nigeria was not aborted many years back, this country wouldn't have entered"one chance". Say no to abortion!

And if the worst President of Nigeria was aborted years back we would also not have been in this mess today.....

1 Like

Re: Should Abortion Be Legalized In Nigeria? by pawesome(m): 7:57am On Mar 30, 2018
Wait...

It is not legal before shocked?

Shiiit is more common than Buhari

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Ernestine Shepherd: A 75-year-old Body Builder / COVID-19: FG Asks Nigerians To Register And Schedule A Date To Get Vaccinated / Today Is Stella Adadevoh's 63rd Posthumous Birthday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.