Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,890 members, 7,817,618 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:39 PM

Nobody Gives Me Credit For Conducting Nigeria’s Freest Election – IBB - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nobody Gives Me Credit For Conducting Nigeria’s Freest Election – IBB (14278 Views)

Nobody Wants To Give Me Credit For June 12 '93 Election, Says Babangida / 2019 Election: IBB Backs Atiku For President! / Nobody Gives Me Credit For Conducting Nigeria’s Freest Election – IBB (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nobody Gives Me Credit For Conducting Nigeria’s Freest Election – IBB by Ebullience(m): 10:13pm On Apr 16, 2018
Nigeria’s former Military President, General Ibrahim Babangida (Rtd), cares to know the real reason why the presidential election conducted in 1993 was annulled, or give him credit for how fair the poll was.

General Babangida said this during an exclusive interview on Roadmap 2019, a Channels Television programme that aired on Monday.

The late Moshood Abiola, a philanthropist and successful businessman, had won the election which was later cancelled by the then military junta headed by General Babangida.

The poll, which was adjudged as one of the freest and fairest in Nigeria’s democratic history, was the first presidential election held in Nigeria since 1983 when the military took power in a coup.

The late MKO Abiola of the then Social Democratic Party (SDP) had defeated Bashir Tofa of the defunct National Republican Convention (NCP).

Twenty-five years later, General Babangida was displeased that despite explaining why the June 12 election was cancelled, nobody cared to listen to him.

He said he had a good relationship with the presumed winner of the election whom he said they had communicated at different occasions.

“Nobody has ever sat down to say the two persons are friends, what went wrong? We tried to rationalise why we had to do what we did but nobody is prepared to listen to us,” the elder statesman said.

“I have never seen anybody write anything on this to try to give people a different version altogether. He (Abiola) knew my feeling; I knew his feeling about the country generally because I do talk about Nigeria with the presumed winner of the truly democratically freest election. We even talked about it during the crisis itself.”

Babangida stressed further that the election was widely accepted to be the freest in the history of Nigeria, but he has yet to get a credit for conducting the poll.

He decried that Nigerians were instead interested in ‘he cancelled the freest election, noting that he loved being criticised.

On whether is he is planning to write an autobiography, the former military president said, “People may not read it because it’s coming from a dictator. Yea, he cancelled June 12 and that will kill the thing about the book, but I will try.

“I hope one day if God spares my life I will discuss about it (June 12 elections) because I still believe people don’t get what we were trying to put across.”

https://www.channelstv.com/2018/04/16/nobody-gives-me-credit-for-conducting-nigerias-freest-election-ibb/

2 Likes

Re: Nobody Gives Me Credit For Conducting Nigeria’s Freest Election – IBB by lovere: 10:16pm On Apr 16, 2018
Because you annulled it.

54 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Nobody Gives Me Credit For Conducting Nigeria’s Freest Election – IBB by Oluwasaeon(m): 10:16pm On Apr 16, 2018
MTN ? Glo ? Airtel ? Etisalat ? Which one gangan ?

33 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nobody Gives Me Credit For Conducting Nigeria’s Freest Election – IBB by fuckingAyaya(m): 10:16pm On Apr 16, 2018
return our Yam.but who killed dele Giwa?

8 Likes

Re: Nobody Gives Me Credit For Conducting Nigeria’s Freest Election – IBB by Ebullience(m): 10:24pm On Apr 16, 2018
One of our problems in this country

21 Likes

Re: Nobody Gives Me Credit For Conducting Nigeria’s Freest Election – IBB by BUHARItesticles: 10:33pm On Apr 16, 2018
Don't worry, I will give you Etisalat credit

9 Likes

Re: Nobody Gives Me Credit For Conducting Nigeria’s Freest Election – IBB by Ajisebioyolaari: 10:52pm On Apr 16, 2018
Àbí wèrè kolu bàbá yi ní? angry

Credit koor.....airtime ni

49 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nobody Gives Me Credit For Conducting Nigeria’s Freest Election – IBB by Nobody: 10:59pm On Apr 16, 2018
Abeg which network you day use make I send the credit now now

5 Likes

Re: Nobody Gives Me Credit For Conducting Nigeria’s Freest Election – IBB by Omololu2121: 11:00pm On Apr 16, 2018
If toh say Nigeria nah better country, you 4 spend the rest of your life in prison, cause if the people that were killed after you annulled the June 12 election.

One of the reason our economy is this bad is because of the annulment of the June 12 election, the Nigeria economy started collapsing from the day he annulled that election.

If he had peacefully hand over power to MKO abiola,the likes of abacha won't have been able to take over power.

Annulling the June 12 election was a very foolish and stupid move by IBB because it could have lead to civil war

70 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nobody Gives Me Credit For Conducting Nigeria’s Freest Election – IBB by Basic123: 11:17pm On Apr 16, 2018
I am very sure that the most regretable act in IBB life is that annulment!
It really showed in this utterance!
He would have been abdulsalam abubakre of Nigeria today

3 Likes

Re: Nobody Gives Me Credit For Conducting Nigeria’s Freest Election – IBB by Loving1: 9:15am On Apr 17, 2018
Dem go give u later
Re: Nobody Gives Me Credit For Conducting Nigeria’s Freest Election – IBB by saaron(m): 9:28am On Apr 17, 2018
When I look at this shiit hole I just shake my head in pity for some Nigerians, especially One Nigeria praise singers. Most Nigerians have no idea that there's a written constitution that says a Southern Muslim will NEVER be President of Nigeria, same way a Northern Christian will NEVER be president of Nigeria. Why did you think 1993 election was annulled despite the wide claim that it was free and fair? If Bashir Tofa from north had won 1993 election, that election will NEVER be annulled!
You think Nigeria is rooted in Justice and fairness? Very soon one Nigeria singers will see the fraudness call Nigeria.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nobody Gives Me Credit For Conducting Nigeria’s Freest Election – IBB by dunkem21(m): 9:34am On Apr 17, 2018
You really had time to write your name in gold, IBB..
Sir, Nigeria is still suffering today because of that annulment of the adjudged freest, fairest election in Nigeria.

The person below me sha cheesy

4 Likes

Re: Nobody Gives Me Credit For Conducting Nigeria’s Freest Election – IBB by koladebrainiac(m): 9:54am On Apr 17, 2018
TFU . U WEY SUPPOSE GO TO JAIL. YOU WASTED OUR TIME AND MONEY

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nobody Gives Me Credit For Conducting Nigeria’s Freest Election – IBB by obyback: 10:34am On Apr 17, 2018
This guy is high on something, credit you for freest election you annulled?

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nobody Gives Me Credit For Conducting Nigeria’s Freest Election – IBB by kokoA(m): 10:49am On Apr 17, 2018
With due respect, this Baba has made no sense. It was the freest election, we agree. Nice one! But why was it annulled? You handed over the country to an interim government while we had a president elect, does that make any sense to a sane mind?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nobody Gives Me Credit For Conducting Nigeria’s Freest Election – IBB by SalamRushdie: 10:52am On Apr 17, 2018
The freest election was actually conducted by no other than GoodLuck Jonathan , an election so free that Buhari was allowed to contest without tendering his WAEC CERT and Jonathan the incumbent losing and congratulating the winner before counting was even over .!!! Now beat that

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nobody Gives Me Credit For Conducting Nigeria’s Freest Election – IBB by diablos: 10:53am On Apr 17, 2018
IBB should be annuled from making statements concerning Nigeria and Nigerians.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nobody Gives Me Credit For Conducting Nigeria’s Freest Election – IBB by Nobody: 11:14am On Apr 17, 2018
Maradona aka evil genius. The master planner of Nigerian misfortunes to the present day.

4 Likes

Re: Nobody Gives Me Credit For Conducting Nigeria’s Freest Election – IBB by AngelicBeing: 11:14am On Apr 17, 2018
angry

Re: Nobody Gives Me Credit For Conducting Nigeria’s Freest Election – IBB by Firefire(m): 11:14am On Apr 17, 2018
You tried.

1 Like

Re: Nobody Gives Me Credit For Conducting Nigeria’s Freest Election – IBB by datola: 11:16am On Apr 17, 2018
Evil genius!
Re: Nobody Gives Me Credit For Conducting Nigeria’s Freest Election – IBB by slapacha: 11:16am On Apr 17, 2018
Str
Re: Nobody Gives Me Credit For Conducting Nigeria’s Freest Election – IBB by Nobody: 11:16am On Apr 17, 2018
ITT got served

1 Like

Re: Nobody Gives Me Credit For Conducting Nigeria’s Freest Election – IBB by Handsomebeing(m): 11:16am On Apr 17, 2018
Stupid old man.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nobody Gives Me Credit For Conducting Nigeria’s Freest Election – IBB by ogunnoikitaiwo(m): 11:17am On Apr 17, 2018
baba ibb which network re u using?.since u need credit...
Re: Nobody Gives Me Credit For Conducting Nigeria’s Freest Election – IBB by davidtella(m): 11:18am On Apr 17, 2018
This man's misdeeds of yesteryears are still affecting us negatively till this day

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nobody Gives Me Credit For Conducting Nigeria’s Freest Election – IBB by potent5(m): 11:18am On Apr 17, 2018
Instead of telling us why he annulled the election he's just going round and round.

Oga IBB, abeg tell me why you annulled 'the freest election' in Nigeria.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nobody Gives Me Credit For Conducting Nigeria’s Freest Election – IBB by Buffalowings3(m): 11:18am On Apr 17, 2018
Person wey dem suppose execute with all those stolen money
A crook personified
Still dey yarn rubbish

Oya take
#goandbuysense

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nobody Gives Me Credit For Conducting Nigeria’s Freest Election – IBB by rman: 11:18am On Apr 17, 2018
An election you cancelled for selfish reasons?

You deserve ZERO credit!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nobody Gives Me Credit For Conducting Nigeria’s Freest Election – IBB by nkwuocha: 11:18am On Apr 17, 2018
Lol.
Yoruba people Don suffer. grin
Talk about beating up a paralyzed man then go ahead to rub salt to his injuries.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Buhari’s Achievements Have Rattled Atiku, PDP – Lai Mohammed / ASUU Strike Will Never Happen Under My Administration – Atiku / Dilapidation Of Police Barracks And Station In Obudu, Rivers Stat

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.