Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,974 members, 7,952,912 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 07:17 AM

If You Were Ambode, What 2 Things Would You Do To Improve Traffic In Lagos? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / If You Were Ambode, What 2 Things Would You Do To Improve Traffic In Lagos? (12532 Views)

Olawale Oluwo: Tinubu Vs Ambode - What Really Happened - Ex-Commissioner Reveals / If You Were Ambode, What Will You Do? / Tinubu Vs Ambode:What may happen if Gov. A. Ambode loses the primary (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: If You Were Ambode, What 2 Things Would You Do To Improve Traffic In Lagos? by funtomiee(f): 1:42pm On Apr 17, 2018
statrboiTolu:
werey!! U tink say i no knw ur scope?? If lala no ban you, na me go ban you last last..
grin grin grin grin
Re: If You Were Ambode, What 2 Things Would You Do To Improve Traffic In Lagos? by owbabs: 1:52pm On Apr 17, 2018
I have over 100 ways to improve traffic in my book. I will state just one.

All inner roads need to be widened to international standards. Enforce no parking, no encroachment, no market people selling on sidewalks. Widen the walkways. People should not walk on streets meant for vehicles
Problem I see is that:
Inner streets in developed countries would be called express ways in Nigeria
Re: If You Were Ambode, What 2 Things Would You Do To Improve Traffic In Lagos? by Kuulest(m): 1:54pm On Apr 17, 2018
If I were to be in Gov. Ambo's shoes the '2 things' I'll do to improve Lagos traffic are:

1. I'll implement the Diverging Diamond Interchange(DDI) Design, now used in the US, where necessary. The DDI Design provides a theoretical safety benefit, because car no longer need to turn against traffic. In the US, the DDI design has shown a 60% reduction in crashes, and they'll come with separate walking and biking paths.

2. I'll build subway routines for metropolitan travels. As this will help reduce car usage on roads and reduce 'go slow' and 'hold up'.

These things I'll try as much possible to reduce traffic on the Roads of Lagos.
Well, I'm not the Governor.

Although, brilliant job by the Governor, he's really doing great!

2 Likes

Re: If You Were Ambode, What 2 Things Would You Do To Improve Traffic In Lagos? by tosbobby(m): 2:21pm On Apr 17, 2018
Scrab LASTMA
The service of LASTMA need to be reevaluated.
They are not working for the progress of the state, but for their selfish interest.
Come to Cele b/stop along apapa oshodi express road, including National Stadium and Mushin. Do you know the commercial bus drivers and Kekenapep riders do pay them to buy right to park along the arrorow roadand be raiding passengers.
The huge amount of fund the state govt. is paying them could be used for road maintaince and continuous public enlightenment on traffic education.

Let's also invest more on security and information technology.
So many are ready to use the road overnight for their regular transactions but because companies dont transact 24hours due to secueity backwardness thus the road will always get congested during daylight
Regarding IT, create an open web and a reactive email server for receiving real time update and pay people that are able to give you detailed info about contemporary issues. Also mount CCTV at every traffic exchange point, you can be in your office and tail those that abuse the road.
This will also help to create more jobs and reduce the dependent ratio.

Let's stop over praising govt. we are not there yet
Re: If You Were Ambode, What 2 Things Would You Do To Improve Traffic In Lagos? by Jokkarm2: 2:25pm On Apr 17, 2018
THE ISSUES OF LAGOS TRAFFIC CAN BE SOLVED WITH THE FOLLOWING,

1) RAIL WAY FROM OJODU BERGER TO CMS,FROM CMS TO AHAJ, FROM AJAH TO IBEJU LEKKI, FROM IBEJU LEKKI TO EPE, FROM EPE TO IKORODU IF PORSIBLE THEN BACK TO UJUDO BERGER.

2) FROM CMS TO OSHODI TO MILE 2 AND OTHER ARES I DONT KNW.
Re: If You Were Ambode, What 2 Things Would You Do To Improve Traffic In Lagos? by owbabs: 2:25pm On Apr 17, 2018
There is problem with the vision of how roadside infrastructure should look like in the first place. Nigeria is big mess. But that's a topic for another forum.
Re: If You Were Ambode, What 2 Things Would You Do To Improve Traffic In Lagos? by horia: 2:29pm On Apr 17, 2018
Donald3d:
Invest more in water transportation and make it enticing and safe .Lagos has a lot of water ways "wasting away".Just imagine how much traffic would be reduced on Lagos roads, if people start making good use of the water ways.

Enforce very very very, I emphasize again VERY strict rules with steep fines on double parking and illegal parking at bus stops to pick passangers.

These two should improve Lagos traffic significantly in just 6 months if we are serious, the good thing is, it won't cost a fortune to implement.

cool cool
Vote Donald for President cool cool
so u trust the Donald u don't know as president than the Buhari we all know?
Re: If You Were Ambode, What 2 Things Would You Do To Improve Traffic In Lagos? by ollywiser: 2:30pm On Apr 17, 2018
Knock off all roundabout and introduce a functional traffic light, make good of all "potholes" on the highway, ban agberos on the highway, look into the issues of trucks moving during the day time or to create another route for the trucks, all ancients bridges where only 2vehicles can pass at a time should be demolished and reconstruct to modern bridges.
Re: If You Were Ambode, What 2 Things Would You Do To Improve Traffic In Lagos? by suremanpatriot: 2:34pm On Apr 17, 2018
More traffic lights,more fly over and zero danfo.

Infact danfo is a menace to civilized society,they are lunatics that speed across almost every traffic light. They drive like mad dogs especially under influence of paraga and hemp,and abuse commuters tryin to correct them, without sense of decorum.

Ambode is doing it already,may God give him more wisdom and power to do it right.

1 Like

Re: If You Were Ambode, What 2 Things Would You Do To Improve Traffic In Lagos? by Donmorph1991(m): 2:48pm On Apr 17, 2018
It's required three major things
1. Light rail
2. Fourth mainland bridge
3. Jeties, water way transport system
These will give a lasting solution
Re: If You Were Ambode, What 2 Things Would You Do To Improve Traffic In Lagos? by BuddhaPalm(m): 3:04pm On Apr 17, 2018
Re: If You Were Ambode, What 2 Things Would You Do To Improve Traffic In Lagos? by DALE917(f): 3:05pm On Apr 17, 2018
1= underground roads and trains
2= flyovers
Re: If You Were Ambode, What 2 Things Would You Do To Improve Traffic In Lagos? by sprints1: 3:33pm On Apr 17, 2018
Earthbound:
How do you solve traffic problems with in a state whose size is 3,577 km2 with about 25-30 million people?

Even the world's smartest minds will have a tough time with this.

The only solution is for the government to develop other states to decongest Lagos for us. How? The solution is simple. Create a new law to rotate the nation's capital every 25 years and see magic happen.

I'd advocate for tube stations in the metropolis, along with WIDER road networks. Whoever planned this city had poor foresight.
even Shanghai and Tokyo that is far more overpopulated than Lagos even Shanghai is worse just like Lagos very congested and rough like Lagos still has better transportation system cuz all the modes of transportation are working if thier were to be an underground railway traffic who will take car..dough it will take Lagos time and money to lessen the traffic by doing that......aside from social life and companies around Lagos hasn't really tried in that aspect of transportation...
Re: If You Were Ambode, What 2 Things Would You Do To Improve Traffic In Lagos? by project4OO: 3:38pm On Apr 17, 2018
5. More Roads Won’t Solve Congestion Issues

To curb the problems of congestion, everybody must not move at the same time and peak-hour loads each day (e.g. 7AM & 5PM). If a certain number of workers are able to commute during less crowded periods of the day, why can’t we revisit this aspect of work-life, if it will free up space on formerly congested roads?

Ever wondered why there is less traffic congestion in the highbrow areas of Lagos? It is partly because the rich do not rise early.

Author: Project400

https://www.nairaland.com/4415962/5-unbelievable-approaches-solving-some
Re: If You Were Ambode, What 2 Things Would You Do To Improve Traffic In Lagos? by sprints1: 3:43pm On Apr 17, 2018
project4OO:
5. More Roads Won’t Solve Congestion Issues

To curb the problems of congestion, everybody must not move at the same time and peak-hour loads each day (e.g. 7AM & 5PM). If a certain number of workers are able to commute during less crowded periods of the day, why can’t we revisit this aspect of work-life, if it will free up space on formerly congested roads?

Ever wondered why there is less traffic congestion in the highbrow areas of Lagos? It is partly because the rich do not rise early.

Author: Project400

https://www.nairaland.com/4415962/5-unbelievable-approaches-solving-some
which highbrow please o want to know... same thing will happen..a need for diversion is the key...create other means of transport... water and rail would make things easier and in fact make more money from it...but my problem is maintenance..who will maintain it...most people are thinking about embezzling all the income made from tax or using more means to extort money from the society without improving the facilities
Re: If You Were Ambode, What 2 Things Would You Do To Improve Traffic In Lagos? by scully95: 3:44pm On Apr 17, 2018
Number 1) Complete the drainage in the whole state and set up Bicycle lane on the finished drainage space (Nigerian Engineers can do this one) in all the local govement area. This will reduce trafic in each local goverment area. Then increase Public transport tarrif in those Local goverment area, this will force many to buy bicycle and run on the bicyle lanes.
For example link up all the Bicycle lane in Kosofe Local government area, Badagri, Somulu , Ikeja is almost done but some are still lacking behind.

Number 2) Start 4th mainland bridge and also cable car to link up Ikorodu to Island also set up more ferries and start teaching Primary pupils how to swim. Set up Swimming course in all Lagos state primary school to teach pupils how to swim. A course they must all pass to graduate.(Outcome is to make them scare-less of water).

Extra:
Once the Bluelane (Tram) is completed and all the above is done. Set up state road tax and parking tax to force people to stop using their cars when they can ride bicycle or use the Public transport. The road tax should be ROI for those who invested in Blue lane, drainage and 4th mainland bridge (they can set up toll gate for this one)

Lobatan
Re: If You Were Ambode, What 2 Things Would You Do To Improve Traffic In Lagos? by newoffer: 3:44pm On Apr 17, 2018
LastMa and LSNC NEIGHBORHOOD. are not contributing anything to the traffic situation in Lagos.

Lagos should build alternative road. Repair and renovate all existing roads.

Train your officers on how to reports event around them. Facility decay around them
Re: If You Were Ambode, What 2 Things Would You Do To Improve Traffic In Lagos? by Optional09: 3:51pm On Apr 17, 2018
Lagos State is an ever growing city like every other city in the world. The only solution is to continuously work with construction experts to contruct more roads create easy “exits” to the high way for those leaving the city at anytime. And improve the road network
Re: If You Were Ambode, What 2 Things Would You Do To Improve Traffic In Lagos? by Nobody: 4:14pm On Apr 17, 2018
autojosh:
Lagos state is not famous for the best traffic experiences. Unarguably, the traffic situation in the state is what makes the state the most stressful place to reside in Nigeria.

However, the current administration has so far demonstrated an impressive resolve to ameliorate the suffering of the residents brought about by the most horrendous road traffic experiences.

Gov. Akinwumi Ambode has constructed and reconstructed several road transport infrastructure in Lagos. For instance, He has built several many roads, Bridges and Flyovers. He has also constructed lay numerous bys and slip roads.

The Governor has also built and commissioned some ultra-modern bus tops and bus terminals. Hundreds of BRT buses have been acquired. Many more buses are still being acquired.

In addition, he has sanitized many once notorious bus-stops.

Despite all these, Lagosians still groan over the horrific traffic experience.

It goes without saying: a lot more needs to be done to ease the mass transit in Lagos state.

No matter how much we celebrate the commissioning of new bus terminals and bus stops, the state still craves for far more effective transport infrastructure and policies.

So, if you were in Gov. Ambode’s shoes, what 2 strategic transport infrastructure or policy would you introduce to significantly improve mass transit in Lagos state?

Kindly drop your comment in the comments section.

Hey! You never know, the Governor might be reading this!

#AmbodeChallenge

Source

https://autojosh.com/if-you-were-ambode-what-2-things-would-you-do-to-improve-the-traffic-situations-in-lagos/

The only thing ambode can do to save Lagos is to call on the FG to reopen sea ports in Calabar, Rivers and Delta.

He should also call on FG to build river ports in Imo, Anambra, Abia, Kogi and Benue states.
Re: If You Were Ambode, What 2 Things Would You Do To Improve Traffic In Lagos? by BabaRamota1980: 4:20pm On Apr 17, 2018
Make Yorubas drive Monday Wednesday and Friday.

Make Ibos drive Tuesday and Thursday.

Close roads every Tuesday and Thursday for Presidential visit.

grin grin

Igbo Kwenu!

2 Likes

Re: If You Were Ambode, What 2 Things Would You Do To Improve Traffic In Lagos? by Nobody: 4:23pm On Apr 17, 2018
sprints1:
even Shanghai and Tokyo that is far more overpopulated than Lagos even Shanghai is worse just like Lagos very congested and rough like Lagos still has better transportation system cuz all the modes of transportation are working if thier were to be an underground railway traffic who will take car..dough it will take Lagos time and money to lessen the traffic by doing that......aside from social life and companies around Lagos hasn't really tried in that aspect of transportation...

From where do u bring ur statistics from?

Shanghai population is 24 million m their landmass is over 6000 sqkm, that's double of Lagos land mass.

Tokyo population is 9 million. Their lnd mass is just over 2,000 sqkm
Re: If You Were Ambode, What 2 Things Would You Do To Improve Traffic In Lagos? by Nobody: 4:28pm On Apr 17, 2018
solutionist:
One thing I would do if I were in Ambode’s shoes is this.

I would build jetties around Lagos in order to take advantage of the Inland Waterways. The inland waterways mode of transport has a great potential to decongest the roads.

Building jetties and acquiring ferries does not cost anything close to how much other mass transit transport infrastructure cost.

Building jetties is far cheaper than building Light trains, Cable cars or even building roads.

If I were in Ambode’s position, I will collaborate with the National Inland Watersway of Nigeria to build several jetties at Marina, Ikorodu, Lekki, Epe, Apapa, Oworoshoki, Ajah, Badagry, etc.

I will then invite the private sector to participate by bringing in ferries. These ferries must conform to the maximum safety standards.

This system will also create thousands of jobs. And I will establish a state agency that will be saddled with the responsibility of monitoring and managing the traffic on the waterways.

If this can be achieved, millions of commuters will be taken off the roads. And Lagosians won’t be wasting valuable man-hours in traffic.

My 2 Kobo.

I think our leaders are stupid?

They only execute projects that they can steal more money from and that is rail m road transport.

And again the main cause of Lagos population growth is that people are relocating to Lagos every single day, especially my Igbo brothers.

Once we graduate, We migrate to the no man's land, Lagos State. grin.
Re: If You Were Ambode, What 2 Things Would You Do To Improve Traffic In Lagos? by olajide8(m): 5:13pm On Apr 17, 2018
go back to the season of even and odd numbers to ply/plough lagos roads
Re: If You Were Ambode, What 2 Things Would You Do To Improve Traffic In Lagos? by usman15gmail: 5:13pm On Apr 17, 2018
Esejojo:
Number 1.

I will enforce the ban on Agberos in Lagos. Most people don’t know that there is an existing law in Lagos state that bans the activities of the agberos (NURTW, RTEAN, etc.) from roads in Lagos state.

Agberos activities are one of the main causes of hike in transport fares. And they also cause traffic hold-ups at most bus stops.

Since that law was instituted, there has been an absolute lack of will power by successive administrations to enforce this law.

If I were to be in Ambode’s shoes, I will enforce this law, and remove Agberos from the roads.
The elimination of Agberos will bring about freer flow of traffic.

Number 2.

After the removing Agberos from the roads, I will take over the responsibility of levying the commercial motorists. This will be in a more refined and humane way. An agency for that purpose will be set up.

I will then use the billions that hitherto goes into the private pockets of the Agberos to repair and maintain roads and eliminate potholes.

By placing a ban on agbero hope you know that it will also affect the security sector of the state because most of them will have no other option than to become armed robbers due to lack of job
Re: If You Were Ambode, What 2 Things Would You Do To Improve Traffic In Lagos? by owbabs: 5:26pm On Apr 17, 2018
autojosh:
Lagos state is not famous for the best traffic experiences. Unarguably, the traffic situation in the state is what makes the state the most stressful place to reside in Nigeria.

However, the current administration has so far demonstrated an impressive resolve to ameliorate the suffering of the residents brought about by the most horrendous road traffic experiences.

Gov. Akinwumi Ambode has constructed and reconstructed several road transport infrastructure in Lagos. For instance, He has built several many roads, Bridges and Flyovers. He has also constructed lay numerous bys and slip roads.

The Governor has also built and commissioned some ultra-modern bus tops and bus terminals. Hundreds of BRT buses have been acquired. Many more buses are still being acquired.

In addition, he has sanitized many once notorious bus-stops.

Despite all these, Lagosians still groan over the horrific traffic experience.

It goes without saying: a lot more needs to be done to ease the mass transit in Lagos state.

No matter how much we celebrate the commissioning of new bus terminals and bus stops, the state still craves for far more effective transport infrastructure and policies.

So, if you were in Gov. Ambode’s shoes, what 2 strategic transport infrastructure or policy would you introduce to significantly improve mass transit in Lagos state?

Kindly drop your comment in the comments section.

Hey! You never know, the Governor might be reading this!

#AmbodeChallenge

Source

https://autojosh.com/if-you-were-ambode-what-2-things-would-you-do-to-improve-the-traffic-situations-in-lagos/

Ignorance bothers me. You cannot expect our traffic situation to be solved by lay-bys and flyovers alone.
Study the problem scientifically.
Step out and look at the problem from a holistic stand point.
This problem has a simple solution but will take lots of work to get it done.
I hear Ambode was engaging Japanese consultants to solve our transportation problem. This is not hard
Many stadiums are built with quick evacuation designs and it is possible to evacuate thousands in seconds.
This method need to be applied to transportation. It is not rocket science.
This alludes to my previous comment on the implementation.
Problem source: The road network in Lagos is designed for cities of around 3 million people. Most streets do not have the capacity to facilitate heavy vehicular movement.
Re: If You Were Ambode, What 2 Things Would You Do To Improve Traffic In Lagos? by Esejojo: 6:13pm On Apr 17, 2018
usman15gmail:
By placing a ban on agbero hope you know that it will also affect the security sector of the state because most of them will have no other option than to become armed robbers due to lack of job

Bro. This was the exact same thing people said before the ban of Okada on major roads in Lagos.
Re: If You Were Ambode, What 2 Things Would You Do To Improve Traffic In Lagos? by cinoedhunter: 7:09pm On Apr 17, 2018
funtomiee:

receive sense by fire
I dey fear?
Re: If You Were Ambode, What 2 Things Would You Do To Improve Traffic In Lagos? by olaolaking: 7:16pm On Apr 17, 2018
Esejojo:
Number 1.

I will enforce the ban on Agberos in Lagos. Most people don’t know that there is an existing law in Lagos state that bans the activities of the agberos (NURTW, RTEAN, etc.) from roads in Lagos state.

Agberos activities are one of the main causes of hike in transport fares. And they also cause traffic hold-ups at most bus stops.

Since that law was instituted, there has been an absolute lack of will power by successive administrations to enforce this law.

If I were to be in Ambode’s shoes, I will enforce this law, and remove Agberos from the roads.
The elimination of Agberos will bring about freer flow of traffic.

Number 2.

After the removing Agberos from the roads, I will take over the responsibility of levying the commercial motorists. This will be in a more refined and humane way. An agency for that purpose will be set up.

I will then use the billions that hitherto goes into the private pockets of the Agberos to repair and maintain roads and eliminate potholes.

You don't have any idea sir
Re: If You Were Ambode, What 2 Things Would You Do To Improve Traffic In Lagos? by akum78: 8:15pm On Apr 17, 2018
Great Points
Re: If You Were Ambode, What 2 Things Would You Do To Improve Traffic In Lagos? by huptin(m): 8:34pm On Apr 17, 2018
Why don't we have great threads like this more often on the front page for God's sake?
Re: If You Were Ambode, What 2 Things Would You Do To Improve Traffic In Lagos? by opribo(m): 8:51pm On Apr 17, 2018
Take over all the parking lot in VI, Apapa, Ikeja, Ilupeju and all other industrial areas and make parking in such area N500 per hour from Monday to Saturday between 6am and 11pm and make sure a special task force manages its operation.
Introduce special coaches with A/C , snacks and breakfast with wifi, newspapers and TV that will be shuttling between those industrial areas on scheduled time. This will discourage people from driving their cars.
Restrict 'danfos and molues' from plying the industrial areas within the peak period only the special coaches.
Setup an electronic ticketing system whereby people can load their tickets for the bus ride easily and conveniently.
Establish 24/7 round the clock security all around Lagos with well trained detectives that can respond to any distress call within minutes.

Local Taxis can only operate within the link roads and not the major roads within the peak period.

More...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

PDP Released Lists Of Inauguration Of Presidential Campaign Council / Osun Election Result Is A Positive Development For Peter Obi's Supporters / PH Refinery Receives 1 Million Barrells Of Crude, Gets License For Take-Off

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.