Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,172 members, 7,829,189 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 09:15 PM

Mungo Park Did Not Discover River Niger – Prof Yemi Osinbajo - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Mungo Park Did Not Discover River Niger – Prof Yemi Osinbajo (30083 Views)

Amaechi To Dredge River Niger With N100m, Instead Of N47b Jonathan Approved / Amaechi, Yahaya Bello Flag Off Dredging Of River Niger Ajaokuta-Onitsha Waterway / Port-Harcourt Road, A Major Road In ABA Has Turned To "River Niger" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mungo Park Did Not Discover River Niger – Prof Yemi Osinbajo by Guestlander: 9:28am On May 02, 2018
Liverpoolfc:
There is a big difference between invent and discover. One discovers what was already in existence, used by few but not known to many. Who ever make it known to all is given the honour. E.g Insulin was already named before it was discovered by Bantting and Best in 1922. Park did not invent River Niger, he discovered it because as at that time, the said river was not known to many.

Discovered it for whom? I can just imagine Mungo Park getting down from his boat and telling people who were living by the river bank behold that is river Niger! I'm sure they would have looked at each other and conclude he was mad.
Mungo park discovered river Niger for Europeans not for Africans.
Re: Mungo Park Did Not Discover River Niger – Prof Yemi Osinbajo by valentineuwakwe(m): 9:30am On May 02, 2018
I thought you are a professor and should know better...pls stop confusing us.,history books did not tell us or say mongo park discover River Niger, they say he discover the SOURCE. ...that's from the fouta djallon mountians....
Re: Mungo Park Did Not Discover River Niger – Prof Yemi Osinbajo by Nobody: 9:31am On May 02, 2018
Obijulius:
Now look at this idiot and tell me why our economy will not fail.

Of all things to worry about this is the most pressing issue on this man’s mind. Trump is fighting for Christians in Nigeria while a pastor VP is having sleepless night over who discovered River Niger.

If anyone still thinks this man is sane please check yourself too.

You should probably check your sanity too. That was only an illustration to prove a point. As you can see he didn't elaborate on that fact. Just because you don't like this administration doesn't mean you shouldn't use your brain when you read an article about them.

1 Like

Re: Mungo Park Did Not Discover River Niger – Prof Yemi Osinbajo by maestroferddi: 9:32am On May 02, 2018
solonton:
did you read the post completely?
What is there to be read?

What value is Osinbajo adding to governance in Nigeria?

We thought we had seen it all with Nemadi Sambo as a wet rag/ineffectual VP, but Osinbajo appears hellbent on setting a new benchmark on cluelessness and dormancy as a Vice President.

The man is fast turning into some kind of mammoth embarrassment to scholarship...
Re: Mungo Park Did Not Discover River Niger – Prof Yemi Osinbajo by shallysgirl: 9:34am On May 02, 2018
transformed:
A lot of unintelligent and lazy youth across the bridge...atimes when one attack Buhari, and you read comments from some youths across the ailes you are ashamed of the group you seem to queue with. Osinbajo's speech today is one of the greatest by any black man, not just Nigerian. Deep and insightful.
I am sure oduduwa discovered river Niger.
Propagandists Don come 9.
Re: Mungo Park Did Not Discover River Niger – Prof Yemi Osinbajo by Nobody: 9:34am On May 02, 2018
adecz:

"People were already fishing on it"

Did they know the name of the river?

All along the course of the river in
West Africa, ppl gave this same river
different names like Nigré, Kora,( bastardized to Kwara), Igbo & delta communities called it
different names etc, without knowing it was the same river.

It was oyibo that discovered its source & exit. undecided

Imagine this bogus assumption
Re: Mungo Park Did Not Discover River Niger – Prof Yemi Osinbajo by Gaddafithe2nd(m): 9:36am On May 02, 2018
Obijulius:

Of all things to worry about this is the most pressing issue on this man’s mind. Trump is fighting for Christians in Nigeria while a pastor VP is having sleepless night over who discovered River Niger.

I think you need a brain checkup. The VP is telling you how we should promote our things, we shouldn't allow outsiders to tell us our history. You are talking about Trump talking about persecutions of christians. The heinous crime commited in Nigeria doesn't care about your religion. For your information, VP Osinbajo is not there to represent christians alone but the whole nation.

1 Like

Re: Mungo Park Did Not Discover River Niger – Prof Yemi Osinbajo by Gggg102(m): 9:36am On May 02, 2018
adecz:

"People were already fishing on it"

Did they know the name of the river?

All along the course of the river in
West Africa, ppl gave this same river
different names like Nigré, Kora,( bastardized to Kwara), Igbo & delta communities called it
different names etc, without knowing it was the same river.

It was oyibo that discovered its source & exit. undecided

bhet whai
Re: Mungo Park Did Not Discover River Niger – Prof Yemi Osinbajo by Nobody: 9:40am On May 02, 2018
Guestlander:

Discovered it for whom? I can just imagine Mungo Park getting down from his boat and telling people who were living by the river bank behold that is river Niger! I'm sure they would have looked at each other and conclude he was mad.
Mungo park discovered river Niger for Europeans not for Africans.
you are ignorant.

Discovering river Niger means he was the first person to know and document the origin, length, width, deltaic mouth, depth of the river. Those Africans who has been using river Niger didn't know everything about it, they could only relate to that part of the river where they carry out their activities e.g a typical African from Nigeria didn't know where river Niger originated, they didn't know how far the river travelled to get to them, mungo park discovered that
Re: Mungo Park Did Not Discover River Niger – Prof Yemi Osinbajo by Gggg102(m): 9:41am On May 02, 2018
SalamRushdie:
Osinbanjo is really a very shallow , I remember in primary school we used to have this same argument a lot .... Osinbanjo is should know that literature that attributes the discovery of the river to Mungo park was referring to it from the part of the civilization Munho park and the literature writers represented....Every civilization speaks for itself and Osinbajo should know that buy now .

then he discovered it for the Europeans, not for us.
the People living in the area already knew the river was there. it is wrong to tell us that he discovered it. they can tell themselves he discovered it but not us.

1 Like

Re: Mungo Park Did Not Discover River Niger – Prof Yemi Osinbajo by Gaddafithe2nd(m): 9:41am On May 02, 2018
slimghost:
I agree with the mumu Prof. on this one. Mungo Park couldn't have discovered river Niger.
You call someone MUMU just because, he doesn't share your political ideology. Mr. man, pray to achieve half of what he has achieved in life.
Re: Mungo Park Did Not Discover River Niger – Prof Yemi Osinbajo by SalamRushdie: 9:45am On May 02, 2018
Gggg102:

then he discovered it for the Europeans, not for us.
the People living in the area already knew the river was there. it is wrong to tell us that he discovered it. they can tell themselves he discovered it but not us.

They never told you he discovered it for you and they didnt tell you not to know how to write your own history , they story teller always has the final input ....We need to start telling our own stories , we need to start telling stories of the first Nigerian that discovered the Potomac river grin cheesy
Re: Mungo Park Did Not Discover River Niger – Prof Yemi Osinbajo by BanevsJoker(m): 9:45am On May 02, 2018
vedaxcool:
This thread just confirmed many people are just not smart. Mungo Park cannot discover what already exists to the people using it. He can only discover it for the Western world, teaching pupils that he discovered the River Niger just does not make sense. Rather it should read he was the first white man to sail the River Niger but cannot be the first person to discover it.
He discovered the source of the Niger River.
Re: Mungo Park Did Not Discover River Niger – Prof Yemi Osinbajo by Rajosh(m): 9:46am On May 02, 2018
I've always read that Mungo Park discovered the MOUTH of the river Niger and not the river Niger itself
Re: Mungo Park Did Not Discover River Niger – Prof Yemi Osinbajo by StaffofOrayan(m): 9:47am On May 02, 2018
Nigeria's history starts in 1960,
Make the gov't go sleep abeg
If he is serious he should change the textbooks
Re: Mungo Park Did Not Discover River Niger – Prof Yemi Osinbajo by nedu2000(m): 9:48am On May 02, 2018
vedaxcool:
This thread just confirmed many people are just not smart. Mungo Park cannot discover what already exists to the people using it. He can only discover it for the Western world, teaching pupils that he discovered the River Niger just does not make sense. Rather it should read he was the first white man to sail the River Niger but cannot be the first person to discover it.
no one knew the route of the river Niger before Mungo Park,that was what he discovered and not the river itself, river Niger is neither hidden in the evil forest nor a 1000metres below the ground, it is plain viewed.
Re: Mungo Park Did Not Discover River Niger – Prof Yemi Osinbajo by Nobody: 9:49am On May 02, 2018
This comment by the VP shows how we have voted dead brains to handle the affairs of the country.

Common sense should tell professor that before mungo park, nobody could give a detailed description of river Niger as regards length, depth, width, origin, deltaic distribution, ocean distance traveled etc

Mungo was the first man to have knowledge of all these, even the Africans who were fishing on it didn't know the details
Re: Mungo Park Did Not Discover River Niger – Prof Yemi Osinbajo by SIRTee15: 9:51am On May 02, 2018
nwabekeyi:
you are ignorant.

Discovering river Niger means he was the first person to know and document the origin, length, width, deltaic mouth, depth of the river. Those Africans who has been using river Niger didn't know everything about it, they could only relate to that part of the river where they carry out their activities e.g a typical African from Nigeria didn't know where river Nigeria originated, they didn't know how far the river travelled to get to them, mungo park discovered that

For a long time, the whites thought river niger is a tributary to the river senegal....
The natives living along the rivers told them they were 2 separate rivers.....
The natives led mungo park to the river in segou....
The natives showed him the starting point of the river....
When he was wandering aimlessly in west Africa looking for a river that is not lost, the natives redirected his focus towards the river....
The natives sailed his boat on the river until they were attacked in bussa.....
Mungo park didn't discover river niger, he only announced it to the western world....
Just like ascribing Victoria falls discovery to David Livingstone....
When he was actually shown the falls by the natives....
The natives had a name for the fall, yet he arrogantly call it Victoria....
What nonsense....

1 Like

Re: Mungo Park Did Not Discover River Niger – Prof Yemi Osinbajo by MisterGrace: 9:52am On May 02, 2018
Obijulius:

Your comment is not smart.
Re: Mungo Park Did Not Discover River Niger – Prof Yemi Osinbajo by adecz: 10:01am On May 02, 2018
CecyAdrian:

Stop displaying your stupidity, it's draining. So the river whispered to Park and told him it's name cheesy You think those people then didn't have what they called that river before ur hero Park changed it's name

Ppl like you will always lack the
ability to read & comprehend.

Your primary school teachers must
have had a hard time teaching you.

It is also clear you attempted WAEC up
to 5 time before prevailing via 'Miracle Centres'.

You certainly did not attend any
reputable higher institution.

Pls, carry your cross of low IQ alone; we on this
Social Media platform are not ready to
assist you carry it. angry angry angry
Re: Mungo Park Did Not Discover River Niger – Prof Yemi Osinbajo by highness25(m): 10:03am On May 02, 2018
Sodiqsoda:

Vice President , Prof Yemi Osinbajo has declared that it is total rubbish to attribute the discovery of River Niger to Mungo Park.

Osinbajo said people were already fishing in River Niger before Park’s grand father was born.

He made this comment on Tuesday at the ongoing programmed tagged The Platform.

Osinbajo, who harped on the need for Nigerians to promote their own, noted that there are many young persons from this country who have contributed intellectually to the growth of the nation.

“I tell you, it is total rubbish to say Mungo Park discovered RiverNiger. We all know that people where fishing in the River beforeMungo Park’s grandfather was born.

“This calls for the need for us to promote our own,” he said.

According to the vice president, “our business as government is to create more enabling environment for entrepreneurs to do business and create more infrastructure.

“We have to provide more jobs as more people are added to the population everyday.

“Today we are confronted with the remnants of Boko Haram with farmers/herdsmen clashes and ethno-religious conflicts,’’ he said.

Osinbajo recalled that when oil was selling for 100 to 142 dollars per barrel, the budget of Transport and Agriculture Ministries; all the ministries together got 139 billion.

“Today with oil prices between 60 and 70 dollars per barrel, the Power, Works and Housing, Agriculture and Transport Ministries got N560 billion.

“How come we can do more with less income?

“How come we are able to invest in infrastructure. How come we can do the Lagos-Kano standard rail gauge; the Second NgerBridge, with 60 per cent less income than we earned a few years ago,” he asked.

“The job of the builder is not to complain. I believe the solution is in building that Nigerian bridge.

“A bridge that will be built on the strongest materials of all and to excel in our commitment to build a new society.

“A bridge that connects us across tribes; across ethnicity; across dialects; a bridge that connects us across religion; across politics; and across even generations.

“Everyone of us can travel on this bridge. A bridge that rises from innovation and traditions and stands the troubled waters of our past.

“A bridge that can take the traffic of all our best Nigerians and creativity; and human and materials to the destination of our dream.”

READ MORE: http://www.genloaded.com.ng/mungo-park-did-not-discover-river-niger-prof-yemi-osinbajo/
As a student of history and diplomacy, I agree with you on this one Vp
Re: Mungo Park Did Not Discover River Niger – Prof Yemi Osinbajo by SmartyPants(m): 10:05am On May 02, 2018
Obijulius:

Do you think that statement was the essence of what the man said in his speech?

Are you okay?

So you didn't see all this one?:

“our business as government is to create more enabling environment for entrepreneurs to do business and create more infrastructure.

“We have to provide more jobs as more people are added to the population everyday.

“Today we are confronted with the remnants of Boko Haram with farmers/herdsmen clashes and ethno-religious conflicts,’’ he said.

Osinbajo recalled that when oil was selling for 100 to 142 dollars per barrel, the budget of Transport and Agriculture Ministries; all the ministries together got 139 billion.

“Today with oil prices between 60 and 70 dollars per barrel, the Power, Works and Housing, Agriculture and Transport Ministries got N560 billion.
Re: Mungo Park Did Not Discover River Niger – Prof Yemi Osinbajo by billionman: 10:05am On May 02, 2018
The OP took the VP's statement totally out of context. For those who watch the programme live, you'll know that the VP was only quoting a passage from Chimamanda Adichie's Half of a Yellow Sun. It was what Odenigbo said to Ugwu about Mungo Park and River Niger. It was not the VP's direct statement.

Below is the excerpt from Half of a Yellow Sun.

1 Like

Re: Mungo Park Did Not Discover River Niger – Prof Yemi Osinbajo by Gggg102(m): 10:05am On May 02, 2018
SalamRushdie:

They never told you he discovered it for you and they didnt tell you not to know how to write your own history , they story teller always has the final input ....We need to start telling our own stories , we need to start telling stories of the first Nigerian that discovered the Potomac river grin cheesy

but that is what is taught in schools.

exactly! we need to write our own history and tell our stories ourselves.

1 Like

Re: Mungo Park Did Not Discover River Niger – Prof Yemi Osinbajo by blowjohn(m): 10:14am On May 02, 2018
obonujoker:

Before Christopher Columbus discovered America, were people not living there already

So how can u say Christopher Columbus discovered America?
I can agree someone discovered say, the proton... Etc
Re: Mungo Park Did Not Discover River Niger – Prof Yemi Osinbajo by SmartPolician: 10:16am On May 02, 2018
clevvermind:
Osinbajo wants to follow his master to compete on who is the most foolish.

I am really worried about internet abuse in Nigeria

If this senseless blogger had listened attentively to the VP, he/she would have known that VP was quoting a playwright.

I watched the Platform myself, and the VP was quoting a writer who said: "There's a difference between what you must say to pass an exam and the real thing."

Professor Yemi Osinbajo is the most intelligent Nigerian politician I've seen in recent times.

Before you tag me afonja

A bum nwafo Igbo

It's high time we said things the way they really are

He wowed me yesterday

Jesus!

1 Like

Re: Mungo Park Did Not Discover River Niger – Prof Yemi Osinbajo by ikdaddy01(m): 10:19am On May 02, 2018
Sodiqsoda:

READ MORE: http://www.genloaded.com.ng/mungo-park-did-not-discover-river-niger-prof-yemi-osinbajo/
Who is lying?
Re: Mungo Park Did Not Discover River Niger – Prof Yemi Osinbajo by obonujoker(m): 10:22am On May 02, 2018
blowjohn:

So how can u say Christopher Columbus discovered America?
I can agree someone discovered say, the proton... Etc

because those peoples weren't enlightened then...

1 Like

Re: Mungo Park Did Not Discover River Niger – Prof Yemi Osinbajo by CioAngels(f): 10:34am On May 02, 2018
Nawao, just like Fela's song, teacher don teach me nonsense. So it was true that we were being taught nonsense in the 60s when we were told that Mango Park with his picture in the water swimming was just nonsense. But how did the VP knew this, because very sure he was taught same too.
Re: Mungo Park Did Not Discover River Niger – Prof Yemi Osinbajo by Reelectbuhari: 10:37am On May 02, 2018
Sodiqsoda:

Vice President , Prof Yemi Osinbajo has declared that it is total rubbish to attribute the discovery of River Niger to Mungo Park.

Osinbajo said people were already fishing in River Niger before Park’s grand father was born.

He made this comment on Tuesday at the ongoing programmed tagged The Platform.

Osinbajo, who harped on the need for Nigerians to promote their own, noted that there are many young persons from this country who have contributed intellectually to the growth of the nation.

“I tell you, it is total rubbish to say Mungo Park discovered RiverNiger. We all know that people where fishing in the River beforeMungo Park’s grandfather was born.

“This calls for the need for us to promote our own,” he said.

According to the vice president, “our business as government is to create more enabling environment for entrepreneurs to do business and create more infrastructure.

“How come we can do more with less income?

“How come we are able to invest in infrastructure. How come we can do the Lagos-Kano standard rail gauge; the Second NgerBridge, with 60 per cent less income than we earned a few years ago,” he asked.

“The job of the builder is not to complain. I believe the solution is in building that Nigerian bridge.

“A bridge that will be built on the strongest materials of all and to excel in our commitment to build a new society.

“A bridge that connects us across tribes; across ethnicity; across dialects; a bridge that connects us across religion; across politics; and across even generations.

“Everyone of us can travel on this bridge. A bridge that rises from innovation and traditions and stands the troubled waters of our past.

“A bridge that can take the traffic of all our best Nigerians and creativity; and human and materials to the destination of our dream.”

Na awolowo discover am......Rubbish...
Re: Mungo Park Did Not Discover River Niger – Prof Yemi Osinbajo by CioAngels(f): 10:47am On May 02, 2018
Obijulius:

Because he is not for only christian but for all, Christians, Muslims and pagans and not as the president who is for only the Muslim/fulani herdsmen.
Re: Mungo Park Did Not Discover River Niger – Prof Yemi Osinbajo by TheInspired: 10:49am On May 02, 2018
transformed:
A lot of unintelligent and lazy youth across the bridge...atimes when one attack Buhari, and you read comments from some youths across the ailes you are ashamed of the group you seem to queue with. Osinbajo's speech today is one of the greatest by any black man, not just Nigerian. Deep and insightful.
yeah some people are just acculturated with witless comments as if they are perfect beings ..even theirselves they can't control takeless of a country ...
this speech is awesome and encouraging

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Obiano Lied About $5Million Vegetable Exports - Sahara Reporters / Tinubu: The Battle Ahead - Sun News / U.S. And U.K. Press Statements On Upcoming Nigerian Elections

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.