Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,581 members, 7,823,519 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:14 AM

Why Senate Can’t Impeach Buhari – Senator Ahmed Lawan - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Senate Can’t Impeach Buhari – Senator Ahmed Lawan (21856 Views)

I Defected To ADC, Not Because Of Buhari Senator Monsurat Recants / Senate Can’t Summon IGP - Falana / Real Reasons Why Senate Moves Against Osinbajo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Senate Can’t Impeach Buhari – Senator Ahmed Lawan by rifasenate11(m): 4:30pm On May 02, 2018
the only reason why senate can't impeach buhari is because, this government is not respecting court processes, it's autocratic and senseless to what democratic all about, Buhari will always use his puppets in the security agencies to intimidate the senators. it's very shameful Nigeria has been taken back to the military era.. no rule of law. just like he positioned Magu in EFCC to fight his enemies and has sent DSS to the National Assembly.. but we all know he will fail in 2019.
Re: Why Senate Can’t Impeach Buhari – Senator Ahmed Lawan by Franzinni: 4:31pm On May 02, 2018
Dick tator sheep
Re: Why Senate Can’t Impeach Buhari – Senator Ahmed Lawan by rickyrex(m): 4:31pm On May 02, 2018
Any ways weather left or right, truth or false. Nigeria is one country that lack the principle of rule of law. And obidient to democratic process. The senators are theives, buhari and his cabinet are thieves. If buhari has respect and trust to the senate he would have followed due procedure, so also if the senate trust buhari integrity they won't have grumbled over his decision to withdraw for something which is meant for national use.
Re: Why Senate Can’t Impeach Buhari – Senator Ahmed Lawan by yemi15(m): 4:31pm On May 02, 2018
10Ebisco:
The Senate Majority Leader, Ahmed Lawan, says the issue of impeaching President Muhammadu Buhari has been laid to rest.

Lawan said the United States, US, President, Donald Trump’s confirmation that his country received $496m from Nigeria for fighter jets, has put the issue of impeaching Buhari to rest.

Speaking with Daily Trust, the Senator noted that impeaching the president holds no weight because “we didn’t lose money as a country.”

The lawmaker insisted that Buhari cannot be impeached for taking an “action to save Nigerians.”

According to Lawan, “I don’t know what the committee will report. I will rather guess but this committee is a representative of the senate and indeed the national assembly. So, since it has been confirmed that the money has been paid to the US treasury and President Trump has also confirmed it, I think this has laid the matter to rest.

“I’m not sure there was any serious motion for the impeachment of the President. If anybody did that, I’m sure the person misunderstood the entire process of parliamentary scrutiny

“My understanding of parliamentary scrutiny is to ensure that no public resources and money are lost. The release of $496m for the purchase of Super Tucano by the President has shown that no money was lost; more especially when the President of the US, Donald Trump, in discussion with the president said the American government is in receipt of the money. That goes further to confirm that we didn’t lose money as a country.

“So we really have not lost anything and I think this should give consolation to everybody because the fear will always be that someone took advantage and money was lost.

“How can we impeach the president for taking action to save Nigerians? It has been confirmed that the money has been paid to the US government.”

http://www.mcebisco.com.ng/2018/05/why-senate-cant-impeach-buhari-senator.html

Without following due process? What is this man saying? Smh
Re: Why Senate Can’t Impeach Buhari – Senator Ahmed Lawan by Nonnyflex(m): 4:31pm On May 02, 2018
Imagine the nonsense somebody is saying... So all we need is receipt then everything is settled and he's a senate majority leader. .. Making laws for us... Chaiii... We are finished
Although one statement he made was right buhari can not be impeached... Not with these "set of senators".
Re: Why Senate Can’t Impeach Buhari – Senator Ahmed Lawan by Oladeleeleniyan(m): 4:33pm On May 02, 2018
10Ebisco:
The Senate Majority Leader, Ahmed Lawan, says the issue of impeaching President Muhammadu Buhari has been laid to rest.

Lawan said the United States, US, President, Donald Trump’s confirmation that his country received $496m from Nigeria for fighter jets, has put the issue of impeaching Buhari to rest.

Speaking with Daily Trust, the Senator noted that impeaching the president holds no weight because “we didn’t lose money as a country.”

The lawmaker insisted that Buhari cannot be impeached for taking an “action to save Nigerians.”

According to Lawan, “I don’t know what the committee will report. I will rather guess but this committee is a representative of the senate and indeed the national assembly. So, since it has been confirmed that the money has been paid to the US treasury and President Trump has also confirmed it, I think this has laid the matter to rest.

“I’m not sure there was any serious motion for the impeachment of the President. If anybody did that, I’m sure the person misunderstood the entire process of parliamentary scrutiny

“My understanding of parliamentary scrutiny is to ensure that no public resources and money are lost. The release of $496m for the purchase of Super Tucano by the President has shown that no money was lost; more especially when the President of the US, Donald Trump, in discussion with the president said the American government is in receipt of the money. That goes further to confirm that we didn’t lose money as a country.

“So we really have not lost anything and I think this should give consolation to everybody because the fear will always be that someone took advantage and money was lost.

“How can we impeach the president for taking action to save Nigerians? It has been confirmed that the money has been paid to the US government.”

Lol,damage control..can you dare impeach him before?
them no born una well,bunch of jokers!
Re: Why Senate Can’t Impeach Buhari – Senator Ahmed Lawan by Abbeyme: 4:36pm On May 02, 2018
Simply because dem no fit.
Re: Why Senate Can’t Impeach Buhari – Senator Ahmed Lawan by yemi15(m): 4:37pm On May 02, 2018
anibestlala:
Seems there a cheap cigar buhari apologists smoke that make them turn the law upside down to defend buhari. The law says the President needs approval from the NASS to spend such amount of money and not whether the money was for a good purpose or not.

Exactly, seems Buhari apologists are quite okay and in tune with a banana republic where the constitution is not followed but rather in a trash bin smh
Re: Why Senate Can’t Impeach Buhari – Senator Ahmed Lawan by 1miccza: 4:38pm On May 02, 2018
This country is far gone
Re: Why Senate Can’t Impeach Buhari – Senator Ahmed Lawan by shekauvsbuhari: 4:42pm On May 02, 2018
The issue is going fowl of de law in not obtaining parliamentary approval before spending. Lack of due process. Nobody accused him of stealing the money. Nigeria will never move with this type of leaders.
Re: Why Senate Can’t Impeach Buhari – Senator Ahmed Lawan by Nobody: 4:45pm On May 02, 2018
Canadamigrate:
It's very rare to see the president impeached in Africa.

People are moving to Canada for better life

Better tell tell the truth that there are higher chances they will become an Uber driver than getting a job at McDonalds
Re: Why Senate Can’t Impeach Buhari – Senator Ahmed Lawan by AdamuAudu: 4:45pm On May 02, 2018
OkoNDOoBo:
Don't tell us what we know already.
Impeachment motion was bore out of the fact that house of assembly feel cheated because they could not add their own money to the said amount inorder to inflate price and thereby receive kickback from the procurement ministrygrin
The thing pain them no be small
The provision of the constitution do not say the president can deep his hand on the treasury do anything, spent money on his own anytime without approaching the NASS, as long as the money is spend juducuoisly. The provision says, whenever, any money is to be spent, the NASS should be informed and approval given. It did not say, the president should just take and spend as long as the money is used without an inch trace to corrupt practices..it will not be well with Lord Lugard who place us this hollow block brain prident, hausas and apc members.
Re: Why Senate Can’t Impeach Buhari – Senator Ahmed Lawan by OkoNDOoBo: 4:52pm On May 02, 2018
AdamuAudu:
The provision of the constitution do not say the president can deep his hand on the treasury do anything, spent money on his own anytime without approaching the NASS, as long as the money is spend juducuoisly. The provision says, whenever, any money is to be spent, the NASS should be informed and approval given. It did not say, the president should just take and spend as long as the money is used without an inch trace to corrupt practices..it will not be well with Lord Lugard who place us this hollow block brain prident, hausas and apc members.
is excess crude oil account recognised by the constitution of federal republic of Nigeria??
Re: Why Senate Can’t Impeach Buhari – Senator Ahmed Lawan by Afamed: 4:53pm On May 02, 2018
anibestlala:
Seems there a cheap cigar buhari apologists smoke that make them turn the law upside down to defend buhari. The law says the President needs approval from the NASS to spend such amount of money and not whether the money was for a good purpose or not.
In an emergency cases the president could use his executive power . The purchase of the fighter jet from US has a time frame. If the president has to wait for the approval of the senate, the time frame might not be met , remember the budget that was passed to NA since Nov 2017 until today, nothing has been heard from the NA. Theresa May and Donald Trump just 3weeks weeks ago didn't wait for the house approval before missiles were being sent to Syria. Waiting for this senate to approve a purchase of the fighter jet might take another 2 yrs.
Re: Why Senate Can’t Impeach Buhari – Senator Ahmed Lawan by MrJanuzaj: 4:53pm On May 02, 2018
inoki247:
pvc will impeach him and if pVc cant Do it i prayer Thunder do it...

Your PVC is just one. And the PVC of those that want him is obviously higher than those that hate him like yourself. So your pain will extend to 2023. When another person whom the true patriots will again elect, if you don't like him also, you will wait for another 8 years so keep wailing
Re: Why Senate Can’t Impeach Buhari – Senator Ahmed Lawan by MrJanuzaj: 4:54pm On May 02, 2018
kinibigdeal:

Trump did not acknowledge the amount he only acknowledge that Nigeria bought Helicopters from US
You can go and confirm that from trump. Hater
Re: Why Senate Can’t Impeach Buhari – Senator Ahmed Lawan by inoki247: 4:55pm On May 02, 2018
MrJanuzaj:

Your PVC is just one. And the PVC of those that want him is obviously higher than those that hate him like yourself. So your pain will extend to 2023. When another person whom the true patriots will again elect, if you don't like him also, you will wait for another 8 years so keep wailing

You can wait i will rather go To YeMen or Syria
Re: Why Senate Can’t Impeach Buhari – Senator Ahmed Lawan by MrJanuzaj: 4:57pm On May 02, 2018
love2love:
In that case the president can go on spending as he wishes without following due process provided the recipients confirm they got the money. We could as well just erase that part of the Constitution and remove all breaks.

He will continue spending as he wish as long as the NASS continue to hold onto the 2018 budget
Re: Why Senate Can’t Impeach Buhari – Senator Ahmed Lawan by sexyanyabubakar(f): 4:58pm On May 02, 2018
samsononyilo:
We know already, it is not possible..
Mohamed Gadafi of Libya, and Robert Mugabe of Zimbabwe also bought Aircraft from France, with the understanding that SARKOZY, WILL SUPPORT THEM, TO REMAIN IN OFFICE TILL THEY DIE. If the Senators and LAZY YOOTS of Zimbabwe and South africa can do the impossible, then the Giant of Africa can do much more, unless we want a bag of rice to cost 100,000, and to waste a whole day, under scorching sun, looking for very expensive fuel
Re: Why Senate Can’t Impeach Buhari – Senator Ahmed Lawan by Lumig: 4:58pm On May 02, 2018
10Ebisco:

I know it's just an empty threat. Let this people pass the budget and stop deceiving the public
Re: Why Senate Can’t Impeach Buhari – Senator Ahmed Lawan by MrJanuzaj: 5:00pm On May 02, 2018
inoki247:

You can wait i will rather go To YeMen or Syria

Bye. It's the same the bottom line is your PVC can't harm PMB, you better know that now
Re: Why Senate Can’t Impeach Buhari – Senator Ahmed Lawan by Afamed: 5:00pm On May 02, 2018
OkoNDOoBo:
is excess crude oil account recognised by the constitution of federal republic of Nigeria??
Most of them do not know ECA is not recognised by constitution. So don't waste your time educating him because his mind is already made up.
Re: Why Senate Can’t Impeach Buhari – Senator Ahmed Lawan by badesco(m): 5:05pm On May 02, 2018
I am disappointed at this guys comment, the issue is not about money missing but about spending without resort to Nass, which is a clear violation of the constitution and an impeachable offense...
Re: Why Senate Can’t Impeach Buhari – Senator Ahmed Lawan by Afamed: 5:13pm On May 02, 2018
badesco:
I am disappointed at this guys comment, the issue is not about money missing but about spending without resort to Nass, which is a clear violation of the constitution and an impeachable offense...
Which of the Nass? The same Nass that has refused to pass the Budget close to 6months now? Your concern should have been more on the previous administration who also withdrew money from ECA for the purpose of purchasing arm only for the money to be seen in a private jet in South Africa. Uptil tomorrow, the money is still hanging in SA now.
Re: Why Senate Can’t Impeach Buhari – Senator Ahmed Lawan by Sagay212: 5:14pm On May 02, 2018
BEFORE NKO! ABO.KI GO ALWAYS SUPPORT ABO.KI NA
Re: Why Senate Can’t Impeach Buhari – Senator Ahmed Lawan by Nobody: 5:18pm On May 02, 2018
jojomario:
Buhari has no trust in the senators and honourables. If it's true Trump acknowledged the said figure, it's a good process. Those crooks in the house will inflate the figure for their pocket sake if taken through them.

As commendable as your opinion is, why don't we just upgrade (amend) the constitution - making it smarter to alley such fears?

Or should we continue to jettison the constitution as long as we are not stealing/corrupt?
Re: Why Senate Can’t Impeach Buhari – Senator Ahmed Lawan by ogunsj: 5:23pm On May 02, 2018
Olukat:
A senator talking like a fool angry
Paying and going to the country to confirm is the new standard now?
a president in this country in conjunction with pastor Ayo Oritsejafor took some money to South Africa in the name of buying military arms and the money was seized by South Africa govt, and lost till date and nobody talk about impeachment then. NASS are just playing to gallery. let them leave politics and face governance. 2018 is still lying on their table and we are now in May.

2 Likes

Re: Why Senate Can’t Impeach Buhari – Senator Ahmed Lawan by Afamed: 5:25pm On May 02, 2018
ogunsj:
a president in this country in conjunction with pastor Ayo Oritsejafor took some money to South Africa in the name of buying military arms and the money was seized by South Africa govt, and lost till date and nobody talk about impeachment then. NASS are just playing to gallery. let them leave politics and face governance. 2018 is still lying on their table and we are now in May.
Ignore them most of them are just economical with the truth.
Re: Why Senate Can’t Impeach Buhari – Senator Ahmed Lawan by kmaster007: 5:35pm On May 02, 2018
your d 1st person to b impeach.
Re: Why Senate Can’t Impeach Buhari – Senator Ahmed Lawan by Pascal181: 5:40pm On May 02, 2018
this olodo senator did not even know that it was d due process that was boycotted by d president is d reason for his impeachment move
Re: Why Senate Can’t Impeach Buhari – Senator Ahmed Lawan by Afamed: 5:52pm On May 02, 2018
Pascal181:
this olodo senator did not even know that it was d due process that was boycotted by d president is d reason for his impeachment move
No due process in any money spent in ECA. Because the law does not recognise ECA, hence one of the reasons GEJ took from the same account for the purpose of buying arms only for the money to be seen in a private jet in South Africa. Your concern should be if the money was spent on what it was meant to be spent on.

1 Like

Re: Why Senate Can’t Impeach Buhari – Senator Ahmed Lawan by lagdmark(m): 5:53pm On May 02, 2018
Canadamigrate:
It's very rare to see the president impeached in Africa.

People arle moving to Canada for better life
Remember, not all Asylum seekers in Canada gets better Iife.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Man Trekking From Jos To Lagos For Governor Sanwo-olu / Security Agents Invade Imo Community, Burn Houses / Appeal Court Clears Biobarakuma Degi-Eremienyo For Bayelsa Election

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.