Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,590 members, 7,770,535 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 11:29 AM

Making A Very Fluffy Cake? - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Making A Very Fluffy Cake? (179883 Views)

Secrets To Baking A Very Very Fluffy Cake. / Are There Bakers in D House?how Can I Make Fluffy N Light Cake / Pls How Can I Make My Cake More Soft/fluffy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Making A Very Fluffy Cake? by Lovey2: 11:35am On Mar 16, 2007
Cake Making: How Do I Get My Cake Very Fluffy?
Hi,

Is there anyone out there who also appreciate baking and cake decoration, want to find out what i can do to make my cakes come out very fluffy, especially when am making a large number of cakes - say you need to fill 3 tins of (10'', 12'' and 14'') and you don't want to mix separately.

Note you have a 2.5kg electric mixer to use and you might be using about 3kg of butter

Thanks, as I await response for baking hands!
Re: Making A Very Fluffy Cake? by Coleslove: 10:21pm On Mar 18, 2007
Much butter will do it. Okay. But not too much
Re: Making A Very Fluffy Cake? by Nobody: 11:56pm On Mar 18, 2007
use plenty of butter and beat well. If you're using the electric mixer take plenty of time to mix very well. The only problem with this step for me was that more of the mix ended up in my mouth than in the tins!
Baking powder too, i dunno but you could experiment with increasing the amount you use.
Re: Making A Very Fluffy Cake? by shemafia: 5:39am On Mar 19, 2007
not much baking powder,plenty of butter(not too much) and mix well(make sure the butter is very fluffy/soft b4 u go further)
good luck
Re: Making A Very Fluffy Cake? by shemafia: 5:42am On Mar 19, 2007
not much baking powder,plenty of butter(not too much) and mix well(make sure the butter is very fluffy/soft b4 u go further)
good luck
Re: Making A Very Fluffy Cake? by robby1(m): 9:37am On Mar 19, 2007
Just make sure u use a lot of butter as davidylan said and be sure to mix it with the sugar properly. You will know you have achieved this when you can no longer see or feel the grains of sugar in the mixture, when the mixture is fluffy, almost double in size and almost white. Since u are using a mixer, it will be a lot easier to achieve this than when u are using a wooden spoon. just be patient enough to achieve this then you are on your way to a smooth fluffy cake. Best of luck.

1 Like

Re: Making A Very Fluffy Cake? by tete(f): 11:57am On Mar 19, 2007
Hi. Making a very fluffy cake all depends on the recipe you are working with. We have basically three kinds of cakes, Sponge, Plain and Fruit cakes. A variation of cakes can come out out of these three basic cakes.

Back to ur question. Making a very fluffy cake would mean ur either working with a sponge or plain cake recipie and since you are working with an electric mixer this should be a piece of cake if catch my drift.

Just make sure u beat ur fat and sugar toghether until light and almost white in colour, add ur eggs and beat again for a while before adding the flour. Try this victoria sponge recipe out

500gms fat
500gms sugar
500gms Flour
8 eggs
4 tbsps baking powder
Flavouring

Enjoy ur baking wink

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Making A Very Fluffy Cake? by amaka1(f): 5:40pm On Mar 19, 2007
Victoria Sponge Cake is very easy to make at home. The old - fashioned favourite. Stays fresh for 4 to 5 days.

Preparation time : 20 mins.
Cooking time : 20 mins.

Serves 8 to 10

Ingredients
170 grams powdered sugar
170 grams butter or margarine
170 grams self raising flour (or plain flour with 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder)
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1/2 teacup milk

Method
1. Sieve the flour.
2. Take out the butter from the refrigerator 1 hour in advance.
3. Cream the butter and sugar very well.
4. When the mixture is light and creamy, add the eggs, one at a time, beating each time throughly. If the mixture curdles while adding the eggs, add a little flour before adding the next egg.
5. Finally, fold in the flour and add milk until the mixture forms a dropping consistency.
6. Add the vanilla essence.

7. Grease and dust a 200 mm. (8"wink diameter sandwich tins.

8. Pour the mixture into the prepared tin.

9. Bake in a hot oven at 400°F for 20 minutes.

Hope this helps. Enjoy!

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Making A Very Fluffy Cake? by amaka1(f): 5:43pm On Mar 19, 2007
This one is a little more involved ( Separating eggs and all) butis guaranteed to be fluffy and light

INGREDIENTS:
2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup vegetable oil
7 egg yolks
3/4 cup cold water
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 to 3 teaspoons grated lemon or orange peel
1 cup egg whites (about 7)
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
PREPARATION:
Into a large mixing bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Make a well in center of sifted dry ingredients; add oil, egg yolks, water, vanilla, and lemon peel. Stir with a spoon or beat on low speed until smooth.
In another large mixing bowl, beat egg whites with cream of tartar until very stiff peaks form. Pour egg yolk mixture over whites, gently folding with a rubber spatula just until blended. Do not stir or beat.

Pour batter into an ungreased 10-inch tube pan. Bake at 325° for 55 minutes; increase heat to 350° and continue baking for 10 minutes longer. Invert pan over bottle or position between two pans or racks so the pan hangs without touching the table. Loosen sides gently with spatula to remove from pan. Frost with fluffy frosting or chocolate frosting, or a lemon frosting variation.

4 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Making A Very Fluffy Cake? by jjuummaaii(f): 8:35pm On Mar 20, 2007
hi amaka, thanks for this but kinda confused wats cream of tarter and what does it do in the baking process as in is it a raising agent or
Re: Making A Very Fluffy Cake? by ivgotfleas(m): 5:23pm On Mar 21, 2007
Hi,

Is there anyone out there who also appreciate baking and cake decoration, want to find out what i can do to make my cakes come out very fluffy, especially when am making a large number of cakes - say you need to fill 3 tins of (10'', 12'' and 14'') and you don't want to mix separately.

Note you have a 2.5kg electric mixer to use and you might be using about 3kg of butter

Thanks, as I await response for baking hands!

Bettycrocker.com. You're welcome
Re: Making A Very Fluffy Cake? by amaka1(f): 8:39am On Mar 22, 2007
@jjuummaaii
Cream of tartar is a white powder like substance used to stabilize egg whites to produce a creamy product so that they are easier to fold into your cake batter.

1 Like

Re: Making A Very Fluffy Cake? by jjuummaaii(f): 10:40pm On Mar 22, 2007
tanx amaka, i'll check them out l8r.
pls do u know how to make doughnuts?
I make nice ones but they are not just as fluffy as i would have wanted.
pls if u have any idea of how I can get them fluffier i'll appreciate.
Re: Making A Very Fluffy Cake? by lapaz: 2:18pm On Mar 29, 2007
jjuummaaii:

thanks amaka, i'll check them out l8r.
please do u know how to make doughnuts?
please if u have any idea of how I can get them fluffier i'll appreciate.

Amaka, i will also be appreciative if i can be told how to make my doughnut fluffy.

Thanks in advance!
Re: Making A Very Fluffy Cake? by knzguru(m): 5:26am On Mar 09, 2008
Go to the Bakers World School of Cake Making and Decorating! grin

Buy all you cake ingredients and accessories at a Bakers World Store near you.

You can now order your cakes online @ http://www.bakersworldcakes.com
Re: Making A Very Fluffy Cake? by ebonyx1: 10:47am On Mar 20, 2008
this information is really helpful,but is it okay to bake cakes in a microwave? tried it with moimoi(bean cake) and it turned out dry.thanks
Re: Making A Very Fluffy Cake? by tkem(m): 11:42am On Apr 22, 2008
Hey there is an opportunity of a life time here, Wonder cakes is organising a free seminar / training on how to make and decorate cakes.

If you are interested please call 08023680352 or 8970862 as soon as possible for space reservation.

thanks

Kemi
Re: Making A Very Fluffy Cake? by sima(f): 9:55pm On Sep 24, 2008
[size=50pt]PICTURES PLS [/size] angry
how can i enjoy d cake without cccin dem pix . . . kiss
oya, pictures nw people wink
Re: Making A Very Fluffy Cake? by sima(f): 9:56pm On Sep 24, 2008
oya nw. . .
i dont wannna choke on my own saliva . . . lipsrsealed embarassed
Re: Making A Very Fluffy Cake? by AmakaOne(f): 4:35pm On Oct 07, 2008
oil, for greasing
Flour, for dusting
200g Butter
200g caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
4 Eggs
200g self-raising flour, sifted

For the filling:
strawberry jam
150ml double cream, whipped

Method

1. Preheat the oven to 190°C/gas 5.

2. Grease and flour two 20cm sandwich tins.

3. Combine the butter, sugar and vanilla essence in a bowl or food processor, and mix well to a creamy consistency.

4. Slowly beat in the eggs one by one.

5. Fold in the sifted flour.

6. Pour the mixture into the prepared tins. Bake for 20-25 minutes until well-risen, golden brown and springy when pressed.

7. Turn out onto a wire rack and leave to cool.

8. Spread one cake with strawberry jam, followed by a layer of whipped cream. Place the other cake on top.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Making A Very Fluffy Cake? by AmakaOne(f): 4:37pm On Oct 07, 2008
jjuummaaii:

tanx amaka, i'll check them out l8r.
please do u know how to make doughnuts?
please if u have any idea of how I can get them fluffier i'll appreciate.

lapaz:

Amaka, i will also be appreciative if i can be told how to make my doughnut fluffy.

Thanks in advance!

Nice and light donut recipe.

1 package granular yeast
1/2 cup lukewarm water
1 tsp sugar (first amount)
1/2 cup scalded milk
1/4 cup sugar (second amount)
1/4 cup shortening
1 tsp salt
c 1/4 to 3 1/2 cups sifted flour
1 egg

Method

Soak the yeast and 1 tsp sugar in the lukewarm water for ten minutes. Add the hot scalded milk to te shortening, 1/4 cup of sugar and salt and stir until it is lukewarm. Add this to the yeast liquid along with 2 cups of flour and the egg. Beat for five minutes. Beat in one more cup of flour until smooth. Scrape down sides of bowl, cover and let rise for two hours. Turn dough onto board floured with remaining flour. Knead 100 times.

Roll out to 1/3 inch thickness and cut with floured 3" cutter. Let rise uncovered until very light, at least one hour. A thin crust forms on the outside.

Slide the donuts into the hot fat at 375 degrees. As they rise to the surface and become a little brown, turn them over. Fry about three minutes to brown on both sides. Lift out with long fork, but do not prick. Drain then transfer to absorbent paper in a warm place. To sugar the cooled donuts, shake one at a time in a paper bag containing a little icing or granulated sugar.

Jelly Donut Recipe

Roll donut dough out to 1/4 inch thickness. Let rest five minutes. Cut out with 2 1/2 inch round cutter and let stand five minutes. Place 1 tsp tart stiff jelly or jam in center of half of the rounds. Top with the remaining rounds and seal edges firmly. Let rise uncovered for half an hour. Deep fry and drain as above.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Making A Very Fluffy Cake? by sima(f): 7:23pm On Oct 08, 2008
more pictures. . onli one soo far
Re: Making A Very Fluffy Cake? by TOYOSI20(f): 3:26am On Jan 02, 2009
Plenty of sugar also help too, cheesy
Re: Making A Very Fluffy Cake? by etrades(m): 2:15pm On Jan 13, 2009
Hello Nairalander on these thread,

I and my girl friend we have made our decision to go into cake baking business but first i will like to know something and that is the Tools for cake baking.

Can anyone furnish me with the list of Tool Used in cake baking with pictures. If pictures is not available i will appreciate list alone.

Look forward to geniune response and thanks.
Re: Making A Very Fluffy Cake? by AmakaOne(f): 9:20am On Jan 14, 2009
e-trades:

Hello Nairalander on these thread,

I and my girl friend we have made our decision to go into cake baking business but first i will like to know something and that is the Tools for cake baking.

Can anyone furnish me with the list of Tool Used in cake baking with pictures. If pictures is not available i will appreciate list alone.

Look forward to geniune response and thanks.

If you want to start your own bakery, some of the obvious things you’ll need include bakery equipment. Basic bakery equipment includes ovens, mixers, refrigerators and freezers, proofing and fermentation equipment, displays, and small, but important wares including utensils, pans, and racks. There is even more bakery equipment than what is listed, and if you are starting a bakery you have to know what you are planning on making and what equipment you will need to make the baked goods you want. Bakery equipment can also be good for home use if you bake a lot, want to bake more with better equipment, and have enough room in your kitchen.

If you are starting a large bakery, or you have a small bakery and you want to expand your bakery, it is a good idea to start using large machines rather than hand make everything. Larger equipment includes cookie machines, bagel equipment and pastry equipment. You can find bakery equipment at bakery and restaurant supply stores and on websites that sell equipment, like websites for equipment manufacturers. Equipment can be very expensive, so when you are looking at equipment you should look for the best deal possible. You should try to find the highest quality equipment possible that also works with your budget, because if you get the best equipment possible it can last you for years, which can save you in the long run. If you buy cheap equipment, it could break down easily.
Re: Making A Very Fluffy Cake? by Achos: 12:25pm On Apr 26, 2009
amaka1:

This one is a little more involved ( Separating eggs and all) butis guaranteed to be fluffy and light

INGREDIENTS:
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup vegetable oil
7 egg yolks
3/4 cup cold water
2 teaspoons vanilla
PREPARATION:
Into a large mixing bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Make a well in center of sifted dry ingredients; add oil, egg yolks, water, vanilla, and lemon peel. Stir with a spoon or beat on low speed until smooth.
In another large mixing bowl, beat egg whites with cream of tartar until very stiff peaks form. Pour egg yolk mixture over whites, gently folding with a rubber spatula just until blended. Do not stir or beat.

Pour batter into an ungreased 10-inch tube pan. Bake at 325° for 55 minutes; increase heat to 350° and continue baking for 10 minutes longer. Invert pan over bottle or position between two pans or racks so the pan hangs without touching the table. Loosen sides gently with spatula to remove from pan. Frost with fluffy frosting or chocolate frosting, or a lemon frosting variation.

[Pls Amaka send me d igredients and recipe for making birthday cakes]

1 Like

Re: Making A Very Fluffy Cake? by Achos: 12:32pm On Apr 26, 2009
amaka1:

INGREDIENTS:
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup vegetable oil
7 egg yolks
3/4 cup cold water
2 teaspoons vanilla
PREPARATION:

[Pls I dnt want fluffy, I wnt recipe and igredients for a normal Nigerian birthday cakes]
Re: Making A Very Fluffy Cake? by Biabeke(f): 10:46pm On May 23, 2009
Lovey 2, I do not know where you are based, but I hope this helps. Use unsalted butter as a substitute for margarine. Margarine tends to make a cake heavy and dry. If you live in the UK or U.S., one cup of sour cream in every cake recipe will make your cake moist and dense. Also, one of cup of canola or vegetable oil in your cake recipe will do better than butter. I wish you good luck and happy baking.
Re: Making A Very Fluffy Cake? by hunsuf(m): 3:46pm On Jun 18, 2009
secret to fluffy cakes is excel sponge(cake emulsifier).use the all in method and with ur mixer,u only mix for 5 mins.2mins slow 3mins fast and ur batter is ready.u can call me for excel sponge and more details(018130102)

1 Like

Re: Making A Very Fluffy Cake? by xoxoxo(f): 4:28am On Jun 19, 2009
@ poster

Here is another way

Use cake flour (it's lighter and has less gluten) instead of all purpose flour (very heavy).  Be sure to sift the flour

separate the egg whites from the yolks.  If the recipe  asks for 6 eggs, only add the yolks. Then in a separate bowl whip the egg whites till soft peak form (see pic). With a spatula fold the egg whites into batter - put cake to bake

Below is a video (the first part of the video) on how to fold egg whites

http://www.ehow.com/video_2333316_folding-egg-whites-chocolate-mousse.html

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Making A Very Fluffy Cake? by mamag3: 7:53pm On Aug 03, 2009
Fluffy Cakes are disgusting.
Re: Making A Very Fluffy Cake? by Nobody: 12:40pm On Aug 04, 2009

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Reach The Moderator Here - Complaints~ Feedbacks~ Suggestions / Recipe For Losing Weight..... Lose 12kg In Two Weeks / Paste Pics Of Your Healthy Meal Here.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.