Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,875 members, 7,817,576 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:45 PM

If Obj Stays: Who's Fault ? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / If Obj Stays: Who's Fault ? (2701 Views)

If OBJ Had Died, Would Atiku Have Agreed To One Tenure / If OBJ Supports Lamido- Amaechi Come 2015, What Is The Place Of Igbo / If Obj Visits Me, I Will Pour Hot Water On Him - Mimiko's Mother (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

If Obj Stays: Who's Fault ? by Akolawole(m): 3:37pm On Dec 31, 2005
The alleged 3rd term plot thickens by the day coupled with the fact that the middlebelt congress want presidency in 2007 as well.[/b]If at all he stays( I pray not) : [b]WHO ARE WE GOING TO BLAME?

1) Is it Olusegun Obasanjo? or
2) The Lawmakers or
3) Pro-Democracy groups or
4) Nigerian press or
5) PDP or
6) Weak Opposition that we call political parties or
7 You and I

I beg WHO?
Re: If Obj Stays: Who's Fault ? by MrBassey: 4:55pm On Dec 31, 2005
Dear President Obasanjo,

Well done this past year. You did well with our $18billion debt relief, and all the activities of EFCC. Keep up the good work.

My only advise to you is that you make a definitive statement that you will not be staying in office past 2007 as prescribed by the constitution you swore to uphold. Everybody in the world holds you in high regard because you handed over to a democratically elected government in 1979. This singular act earned you a place forever in history as the first Nigerian leader, and indeed one of the first in all of Africa to voluntarily cede power. For this alone you are put on the same pedestal as great leaders like Mandela and Julius Nyerere.

Please, I beg you, do not taint this laudable status that you enjoy by hearkening to the call of good-for-nothing sycophants who's intent for wanting you to sit tight is driven by selfish ends. Especially the call by those thieving low-life jerks in the state government houses who debase the honourable office of "governor" by their shameful and debauched acts. They want to perpetuate themselves in office so they can continue to enjoy the protection of that warped kink in our constitution - "immunity for governors".

OBJ, I trust you to do what is right. Great leaders, and your good friends like Jimmy Carter and Andrew Young will be disappointed in you if you sit tight. Besides, you will be put in the same category as rogue leaders like Mobutu and Abacha if you chose to sit tight. This will be a betrayal to many of us your ardent supporters.

Do the right thing. Make a definitive statement to put those mangy mongrels seeking your downfall to shame.

Your great fan,

Mr Bassey
Re: If Obj Stays: Who's Fault ? by kenflavor(m): 8:02pm On Dec 31, 2005
True talk
Re: If Obj Stays: Who's Fault ? by Akolawole(m): 8:23pm On Dec 31, 2005
@Bassey
Is this the question i asked?
Re: If Obj Stays: Who's Fault ? by bagoma(f): 8:30pm On Dec 31, 2005
i guess mr bassey answered in a roundabout manner. what he is saying is that if obj choose to run for a third term, he'll blame him; olusegun obasanjo.

i'll blame him too. for he ought to be able to resist the temptation.
Re: If Obj Stays: Who's Fault ? by Chxta(m): 12:47am On Jan 02, 2006
The people deserve the kind of government that they have!
Re: If Obj Stays: Who's Fault ? by Seun(m): 2:13pm On Jan 02, 2006
Such a statement is not very useful. Even if there are bad people in Nigeria who "deserve" the bad leaders, must the good people in Nigeria also suffer with them? So please such statements are not helpful.
Re: If Obj Stays: Who's Fault ? by Chxta(m): 5:08pm On Jan 02, 2006
What makes you think so?

Recent case point: when a "bad" government was being forced on the Ukrainian people what happened? They didn't just sit their arses at home and say "God dey". They came out and put a stop to all the rubbish.

We don't even have to go too far back in time to see an example of people power. Can you show me one such example here in our beloved Naija where the people pesevered and as a result got what they wanted? Even a case as stinking as the Alams scenario had a few idiots trying to give it an ethnic colouration. That is the problem with Naija. We have too many (selfish) interests.

Such a scenario as happened in Ukraine will not happen in Nigeria, as a result of that, we deserve whatever government we see...
Re: If Obj Stays: Who's Fault ? by Akolawole(m): 8:54pm On Jan 02, 2006
@Chxta

We will NOT do like people of Ukraine.
What is the population of Ukraine ?
How many languages do they have?
How many Tribes make up Ukraine ?

We are not going to fight like we stupidly did during June 12 wahala or during religious riots in in Kano, afterall it is GOD that makes leaders.
Re: If Obj Stays: Who's Fault ? by ijebuman(m): 10:58pm On Jan 02, 2006
Akolawole:

@Chxta

Does it matter? the bottomline is that a popular revolution resulted in change, thats the point been made. There's nothing special about Nigeria, or are we not part of the human race ?

Akolawole:

We are not going to fight like we stupidly did during June 12 wahala or during religious riots in in Kano, afterall it is GOD that makes leaders.

And then we wonder why things never change in the country, our typical 'God dey, e go better' mentality is what keeps us where we are. You may think the 'june 12 wahala' was a waste but that was what got Obj there. The north saw the writing on the wall after june 12 and realised that they had to concede power to the south if they did not want to end up becoming a landlocked country.
Re: If Obj Stays: Who's Fault ? by Chxta(m): 1:13am On Jan 03, 2006
Akolawole:

@Chxta

Is that so now? The people of Indonesia have more ethnic groups than we do in Nigeria, but if memory serves me correct, they stood together and kicked Suharto out of office back in 98.

For you to say that we fought stupidly during the June 12 crisis is in very bad taste. That was a noble cause, it was just unfortunate that the person we were fighting on his behalf turned out to be so unworthy.

Heaven helps those who help themselves, so stop reasoning like that.
Re: If Obj Stays: Who's Fault ? by Akolawole(m): 2:35am On Jan 03, 2006
@ Ijebuman and  Chxta

Please guys dont get me wrong, I AM NOT SAYING WE SHOULD BE LIKE "MUMU".

The method used in Ukraine may not work in Nigeria.

I hate Violence of all sorts, i have participated in few and the end product is harmfull.

Like i have commented in a particular thread in this forum, where i stated that my friend was gunned down during SAP riot.  On that fateful afternoon in ibadan in 1989, i was writing mathematics(GCE o level), University of Ibadan students came to mobilise us to join, i gladly joined, even though i was writing my best paper, only to know in the evening that one of my friend was killed.  DID  IBB EVENTUALLY DROP FALAE'S SAP ?

DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY PEOPLE WHO LOST THEIR LIVES DURING JUNE 12 IMBROLIGIO ?
Did we eventually get abiola there ?

I am not saying we should fold our arms while some people messed up  today and our future. NO

We can Voice out our opposition through any means EXCEPT VIOLENCE.
Re: If Obj Stays: Who's Fault ? by otokx(m): 10:38am On Jan 03, 2006
no one's fault. violence of any sort is not good. it is the poor man that suffers when there is a violent revolution that is why there is no more support for such actions. Even if sani abacha were to arise from the grave and come back into aso rock, it will be business as usual from my own end.
Re: If Obj Stays: Who's Fault ? by Afam(m): 11:55am On Jan 03, 2006
Interesting topic.

OBJ does not have the powers to amend the constitution to allow for a 3rd term, only the law makers can do that.

So, if OBJ gets a 3rd term today and such clause is in the constitution, it makes sense to put the blame on the law makers because they have the right to make this 3rd term speculation die a natural death even today.

The followership still will take its own share of the blame because we are focusing on the wrong person/persons. OBJ should not be the focus, the focus should be on those that can make or mar the plan legitimately.

About OBJ making categorical statements on the 3rd term bid, he has denied having such plans on at least 2 ocassions, Remi has denied it, Fani has denied it, the PDP scribe has denied it.

Whether we believe them or not is another matter but the fact remains that OBJ and his aides have denied it, so I wonder what Nigerians want him to do again to prove that he will not go for a 3rd term.
Re: If Obj Stays: Who's Fault ? by alheri(f): 3:36pm On Jan 03, 2006
if OBJ stays,it will be akolawole's fault grin
Re: If Obj Stays: Who's Fault ? by Akolawole(m): 3:39pm On Jan 03, 2006
@Alheri
Madam, why my own now? grin
Re: If Obj Stays: Who's Fault ? by MrBassey: 5:22pm On Jan 03, 2006
If OBJ stays, it will be the fault of the law makers who amend the constitution to allow for it.

I agree with Akolowole, violence for it's sole sake does not beget anything but more violence. As such, it should be reserved as a last resort. What we can all do now is communicate by writing letters to our representatives in congress letting them know our will. We put them there to represent us, and if they do not do our will then we will austrasize them and put someone else in their places. We can actually recall them, if we feel they are betraying our trust.

But then again, if the majority of Nigerians feel that OBJ should remain in power then we deserve what we caveat. But the caveat is that what is good for the gander is good for the goose, so we can have an undesirable president at the helm for 3 terms too.
Re: If Obj Stays: Who's Fault ? by Chxta(m): 7:59pm On Jan 03, 2006
Akolawole, the last time I checked the Orange Revolution didn't involve violence. Let us face it, the problems of our country can be sumarised in 3 words: cowardice, selfishness and greed.

Cowardice: No one is willing to bell the cat. The few people who have ever tried were "shouted down" by the rest of us. Case point: the last real strike against fuel price increases. One of the most disgusting things that I have ever seen in my life was when the same people for whom labour was ostensibly fighting for came on camera to ask that the strike stop because "we are suffering".

Selfishness: When ever a Nigerian gets to a position he doesn't think ad majorem populo buono, no, he thinks mea, mea, mea buono. We see it manifest all over the South especially. Imagine what would happen should Asari Dokubo become a governor tomorrow. He will abandon his "struggle". I guarantee that.

Greed: Need I expand on this one?
Re: If Obj Stays: Who's Fault ? by Akolawole(m): 8:51pm On Jan 03, 2006
Thank you Mr Bassey

@Chaxta.
Lets do a deal here.
Let all of us revolt. You will be leading us while i will be the last person carrying placard grin
Re: If Obj Stays: Who's Fault ? by Chxta(m): 9:58pm On Jan 03, 2006
Deal doesn't fly. Wanna know my reasons?

You will drop the placard as soon as you sight the first policeman...
Re: If Obj Stays: Who's Fault ? by alheri(f): 11:24am On Jan 04, 2006
chxta, you are sooo right! Akolawole will probably dropped the placard and start pointing at the organisers of the rally grin. He loves OBJ toooo much. Infact i told him he must be related to baba iyabo. cheesy
Re: If Obj Stays: Who's Fault ? by Akolawole(m): 9:46pm On Jan 04, 2006
@Alheri

I am in no way related to OBJ, IN FACT, i visited Ogun state for the first time last april for a birthday party.
Re: If Obj Stays: Who's Fault ? by otokx(m): 12:45pm On Jan 05, 2006
u all are funny.
Re: If Obj Stays: Who's Fault ? by Littleone(m): 12:54pm On Jan 05, 2006
Obasanjo would ba at fault if he stays. Yes, he would.
Re: If Obj Stays: Who's Fault ? by pluto04(m): 6:55pm On Jan 05, 2006
Akolawole:

@Alheri

I am in no way related to OBJ, IN FACT, i visited Ogun state for the first time last april for a birthday party.

I guess that was during OBJ's birthday party grin

If OBJ stays, I think it will be everybody's fault:

OBJ: For not resisting the temptation
Advisers: For advising him to go for it
Lawmakers: if they modify the constitution
Akolawole: If he collects money and organises YEAO (Youth Earnestly Ask for OBJ grin)
International Community: If OBJ is not warned of being ostracised and then ostracised. I guess their hands will be tied though, if the constitution is amended.
Every Nigerian: If we adopt 'sidon look' stance.

I think Chxta and Ijebuman said it all.
Re: If Obj Stays: Who's Fault ? by Akolawole(m): 2:59am On Jan 06, 2006
I wonder why you guys have labelled me OBJ's boy.

Until 1999, I HATE OBJ TO THE CORE. why?

1) I am a commited AWOIST, because he hates Awolowo, I hate him as well.

2) We all know what he said in Zimbabwe at the peak of actualisation of June 12 election. He says of Abiola : "He is NOT the messiah Nigeria needed". I am not an Abiola man but i like and respect June 12 election, because MKO is the custodian of that election, i have to like him.

I look at OBJ between 1999 and now and i don't think he's that bad as some people had painted him.
We have to be frank and be truthful about the whole thing.

He is not a saint but he is no devil.
Re: If Obj Stays: Who's Fault ? by Seun(m): 5:40am On Jan 06, 2006
Akolawole don't mind them; I feel you jare. Only the living can enjoy freedom. Violent people simply cannot create peaceful governments.
Re: If Obj Stays: Who's Fault ? by pluto04(m): 8:34am On Jan 06, 2006
I look at OBJ between 1999 and now and i don't think he's that bad as some people had painted him.
We have to be frank and be truthful about the whole thing.

Akolawole seems to be doing a better job than Femi Fani-Kayode. I hereby nominate him for the post of presidential spokesman come June 2007.

True OBJ has achieved. Is that why he needs a third term? Has he achieved more than what Mandela did(putting down a viable economic, social and political structure) in a single term? OBJ simply did his job in the last seven years. He should not rubbish everything he has done by manipulating the polity and staying beyond 2007.
Re: If Obj Stays: Who's Fault ? by Akolawole(m): 9:16am On Jan 06, 2006
@Pluto04

Did i need the job of a Presidential spokesman ?
NO SIR!
While i like Femi Fanikayode, i dont like his Dad (the legendary Fani-power of Ile-ife), femi manages his boss well.

"Who told you he needs 3rd time anyway? ", Speculation upon speculation, Lies upon Lies, even somebody said on this forum that her Sister once works in Aso Rock and sees them carrying trucks of money in and out. 

Methinks, There are so many ways of stealing/looting than carry physical cash in and out of the Villa. haba!
Re: If Obj Stays: Who's Fault ? by Chxta(m): 9:33am On Jan 06, 2006
Kola don't get personal in here. So what if you don't like his daddy?
Re: If Obj Stays: Who's Fault ? by alheri(f): 9:38am On Jan 06, 2006
Akolawole:

@Pluto04

Did i need the job of a Presidential spokesman ?
NO SIR!
While i like Femi Fanikayode, i don't like his Dad (the legendary Fani-power of Ile-ife), femi manages his boss well.

"Who told you he needs 3rd time anyway? ", Speculation upon speculation, Lies upon Lies, even somebody said on this forum that her Sister once works in Aso Rock and sees them carrying trucks of money in and out. 

Methinks, There are so many ways of stealing/looting than carry physical cash in and out of the Villa. haba!

Now we're talking kola(hope u dint mind me calling you that)

What are the other ways of stealing/looting we dont know about that you obviously do? grin
As per the comment on my sis, she saw what she saw. If youre interested PM me and I'll give you her details so you can find out if she actually worked there. You cant claim people are lieing till you have proof of that.
Re: If Obj Stays: Who's Fault ? by Afam(m): 1:42pm On Jan 06, 2006
Akolawole,

Do not get bothered about people calling you OBj's boy. This is Nigeria for you, you either join the bandwagon or they label you one thing or the other.

OBJ is neither a saint nor a devil. OBJ has done some terrible things as well as some good things.

If we must judge a man we should do so objectively and in a fair manner.

IF the NA reserves the sole right to amend the constitution, the blame should fall squarely on their shoulders if the constitution is amended to allow for a third term whether the decision is popular or not.

We keep playing the blame game instead of properly pin pointing a problem and making attempts to solve it.

Too much focus on OBJ invariably projects him into the demi god people are accusing him of trying to project.

(1) (2) (Reply)

32 Years For An Ibo President To Emerge / Hon Patrick Obahiagbon On Gani Fawehinmi / Houses Razed As Jos Violence Spreads

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.