Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,125 members, 7,829,002 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 05:17 PM

Movement Around Ikorodu Will Be Limited Tomorrow Due To Oro Festival - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Movement Around Ikorodu Will Be Limited Tomorrow Due To Oro Festival (14439 Views)

Oro Festival In Ikorodu: Lagos Community Warns Females To Stay Indoors May 16 / Igboho: Oro Worshippers Impose 7-day Curfew; Women, Visitors To Remain Indoors / How Oro Festival Paralysed Activities In Ikorodu Town, Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Movement Around Ikorodu Will Be Limited Tomorrow Due To Oro Festival by Holluwaphlexy(m): 10:06am On May 07, 2018
phrankchek:

Come on. Read again... I mean culture and tradition should be more accommodating as time changes...not abolish it. Like package your tradition Abi culture in a way foreigners can even love it, appreciate it and even participate in it. That's the beauty of growth.

It's just like... Let's use Halloween as example... We're alien to it but you get to see the fascinating costume.. the creative concepts and all the frenzy and now some Africans are trying to copy the Halloween idea.

you are right sir but not all things are meant for the public view some are only effective with extreme secrecy, for example there are some traditional anniversaries that have turn out to be great tourist attraction case study; osun river festival
what i only hate about the traditional religion is just the ritual killing,maiming,organ harvesting and their likes
#peace
Re: Movement Around Ikorodu Will Be Limited Tomorrow Due To Oro Festival by uzomanny(m): 10:24am On May 07, 2018
Mynd44:

From China to Japan to India, they have cultures and festivals that are cultural and you have to obey. Saying "these things are of the past" is the best way to lose your culture, tradition and identity as humans

Even when they use humans as sacrificial lambs abi?
Re: Movement Around Ikorodu Will Be Limited Tomorrow Due To Oro Festival by crafteck(m): 10:35am On May 07, 2018
oyinboi:
Ask Google Hu dey live dey nw mumu,if dem check unna culture nw he go poor die #crafteck#

So historical culture is more important than life of the living

I salute u bros
Re: Movement Around Ikorodu Will Be Limited Tomorrow Due To Oro Festival by crafteck(m): 10:37am On May 07, 2018
Mynd44:

Take them to court for what? For saying they want to practice a festival that takes place every year?

That's like saying someone should sue the FG over Christmas

For organising events that has taken lives over and over again, for threat to life and property, illegal curfew
Re: Movement Around Ikorodu Will Be Limited Tomorrow Due To Oro Festival by JuanDeDios: 11:27am On May 07, 2018
Mynd44:

From China to Japan to India, they have cultures and festivals that are cultural and you have to obey. Saying "these things are of the past" is the best way to lose your culture, tradition and identity as humans

Mynd44:

Take them to court for what? For saying they want to practice a festival that takes place every year?

That's like saying someone should sue the FG over Christmas
This is nonsense. Restricting movement for half of the population is not like Christmas and these people aren't the government. The unsavoury practices known to be associated with Oro and Eleku aren't an aspect of our culture you should be advocating their preservation. Some of these evil practices from the past continue because educated Yorubas like you who ought to know better either acquiesce or look the other way, citing tradition, as if tradition alone is a good reason to keep anything. But maybe you can cite similar traditions from China and Japan for a start.

1 Like

Re: Movement Around Ikorodu Will Be Limited Tomorrow Due To Oro Festival by JuanDeDios: 11:35am On May 07, 2018
uzomanny:

Even when they use humans as sacrificial lambs abi?
You dey mynd them?

1 Like

Re: Movement Around Ikorodu Will Be Limited Tomorrow Due To Oro Festival by JuanDeDios: 11:39am On May 07, 2018
crafteck:

For organising events that has taken lives over and over again, for threat to life and property, illegal curfew
Unfortunately, many Nigerians don't know whether they want to live in 2018 AD or 2018 BC. So they want laws on murder and the threats you mentioned suspended when it's time for their antedelluvian traditions.

1 Like

Re: Movement Around Ikorodu Will Be Limited Tomorrow Due To Oro Festival by Dee60: 12:06pm On May 07, 2018
MEGA City in the making!

1 Like

Re: Movement Around Ikorodu Will Be Limited Tomorrow Due To Oro Festival by olowobaba10: 2:07pm On May 07, 2018
Mynd44:

DO THEY RESTRICT PEOPLE'S MOVEMENT THERE, GROW UP DUDE.

2 Likes

Re: Movement Around Ikorodu Will Be Limited Tomorrow Due To Oro Festival by Nobody: 5:43pm On May 07, 2018
Nuelmatic:
We are all hypocrites in this part of the world. Do we have dual laws in a country? how can a set of persons restrict other peoples movement in a city like Lagos. if this is done in villages, we will forgive their ignorance but not a city like Lagos that suspended Saturdays environmental sanitations to boost productivity of residents to allow this nonsense to stand.

I even heard if a lady is caught, she is killed. how can we allow this to stand? Where are the feminist? this is a fight you should pick up

Tell that to Good Friday holiday and Easter Monday

1 Like

Re: Movement Around Ikorodu Will Be Limited Tomorrow Due To Oro Festival by Slikbae: 5:48pm On May 07, 2018
You are a mad fool and you shall remain mad.
PRESENTATION:
I see some people don’t see god f*cking Mary and making her pregnant. On the day he was born 3 anonymous Nigga show up with gift. Or his crucifixion as dangerous and to say this stupid events are given holiday also.

Or is it Muhammad that makes you fast till we finally see d moon that’s if d moon feels like show up. Or when he is killed and raise again also

These show of stupidity attracts holidays too making business to close oh

If you don’t tolerate African Traditional religion den your Middle East religion doesn’t deserve it

Keep you preaching to your self
Re: Movement Around Ikorodu Will Be Limited Tomorrow Due To Oro Festival by Nobody: 6:10pm On May 07, 2018
Slikbae:
You are a mad fool and you shall remain mad.

And you where in church yesterday, I wonder what you are taught there?

Anyway respect other people’s religion so yours would be respected.

Those words I spreed are what Oro worshippers feel when you call em barbaric and bla bla bla

Ciao hope we can be friends now, so I won’t be mad

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Movement Around Ikorodu Will Be Limited Tomorrow Due To Oro Festival by Spongia1(m): 8:21pm On May 07, 2018
diportivo:

my brother

I'm sorry if I sounded insensitive....that wasn't my intention

my heart bleeds for Benue and it always will till a lasting solution is found

please accept my apology
you are a man, bro. It is well.
Re: Movement Around Ikorodu Will Be Limited Tomorrow Due To Oro Festival by Adetaiwoo: 6:28am On May 08, 2018
givan:
Lagos is a city of multiple ethnicity. No group can impose their barbaric culture on it entire populace.

Nobody pay my bills, why obey such monopolistic rule?!

How many times has the Igbo, Ijaw or Hausa shutdown Lagos for there individual festival?!

Mr. Internet warrior, are the Igbos e.t.c the aboriginal people of Lagos?.
Can a Yoruba man go to Nsukka and say they shouldn't celebrate new yam festival?.
Yeye rolling.
Re: Movement Around Ikorodu Will Be Limited Tomorrow Due To Oro Festival by Adetaiwoo: 6:40am On May 08, 2018
Simeony007:
Nothing good comes out of this stupid oro it's just dubious means of using human as sacrifice.

Last year when a new king was about to be crowned in my area they Said there will be oro and they said only ladies must not come out to see it, because the stupid man behind the oro is naked. But at midnight we could hear the cry of a man screaming pls have mercy.

If oro see person to challenge him with gun he go run.

Please lead the gun challenge charge.
Re: Movement Around Ikorodu Will Be Limited Tomorrow Due To Oro Festival by Aldebaran(m): 8:25am On May 08, 2018
africanusvu:
.I don't knw bross.let's try and see wat happen.is ur wife or sisters there.pls let's use them and see wat will happen
Good reply grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ebe Awon Agba Ti Eniyan Mafi Nri Aye Se Ni Irorun Lori Oun Gbogbo Taba Fe See / Sultan Of Sokoto Celebrates 10th Anniversary Of The Ascension Of Throne (pics) / New Oba Of Benin 7th Virgin Wife Crowned Queen, 1st 3wives To Live As Outcasts

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.