Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,822 members, 7,844,663 topics. Date: Thursday, 30 May 2024 at 04:48 AM

"I Don’t Owe Senate Any Apology" - IGP Idris - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / "I Don’t Owe Senate Any Apology" - IGP Idris (27836 Views)

Buhari’s Cabinet: We Don’t Owe You Explanations On Delay, APC Tells PDP / I Owe Nobody Any Apology For Supporting Buhari - Kenneth Okonkwo / Buhari Owes No One Any Apology On Jobless Nigerian Youths Statement– Tony Momoh (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "I Don’t Owe Senate Any Apology" - IGP Idris by wellmax(m): 10:14am On May 10, 2018
seguno2:

Kindly google and share instances where a British or American official sent a replacement to their parliament or congress.
If you don’t, then please withdraw your comment as it shows that you are uninformed about the subject matter.
OlujobaSamuel

Let me help you https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/steve-bannon-testify-house-committee-next-week-sources-say-n837016

He even sent a lawyer.
By the way our constitution are not even the same, if our constitution allows it, why the comparison with other country

This is another case https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/ministers-increasingly-refusing-to-show-up-to-parliament-to-answer-questions-granted-by-house-of-a6900201.html

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "I Don’t Owe Senate Any Apology" - IGP Idris by OBAGADAFFI: 10:14am On May 10, 2018
SuperS1Panther:

The codeine you took is yet to clear from your brain. Thank God FG deemed it fit to ban because of people like you

Do they have the power to summon the IGP. Establish that first. From where did they derived the summoning power from? Show us.

Should they entertain a case in Court of Law, which is against their own house order and constitution.

Where did the Senate get the powers to confirm the IGP?

The Senate represent the Pole of Nigeria
The Senate is Superior to the IGP.
Re: "I Don’t Owe Senate Any Apology" - IGP Idris by edupedia: 10:15am On May 10, 2018
SuperS1Panther:
The Senate being led by Saraki and his gang is the worst in the history of Nigeria. It is the most clannish, self serving, arrogant, egoistic and unfortunately most incompetent Senate we ever had.

They turned the Senate to House of Summons. Thank God they have not even summoned God Almighty to appear before them.

The useless Senate has kidnapped our budget since November 2017 and yet they are taking 13.5m per month minus allowances.

After ridiculing themselves with the issue of Custom General's uniform, they failed to get Sagay summoned and now the IGP.

2 things are facts -- the National Assembly only has the powers to summon Ministers and not any other person. Not even Mr. President. Secondly, the IGP has the power to delegate his official functions to DIGs and AIGS, which he did by sending the DIG to address them. The same IGP has appeared before the House of Summons more than 7times.

If they need powers to be summoning everybody and.anybody, then they have to amend the constitution. They cannot be arrogating powers they do not have to themselves .

Our Senate of Suspension should learn to carry themselves with more dignity, sense of responsibility and patriotism to the nation.

Just wait and watch how Senate will try to amend the Police Act again, in their usual predictable manner.

...if they want let them amend the Police Act 10 times Who will sign it into law for them? Yes the most useless Senate in the history of Nigeria.
Re: "I Don’t Owe Senate Any Apology" - IGP Idris by hush15: 10:26am On May 10, 2018
Bishopsgate:

I am simply in love with your piece.

Objective, concise and we'll put together. I get some relief when I see there are still slot of Nigerians that apply wisdom and tact .

Please accept my thanks and best wishes

Thank you.

I couldnt help but pour out my opinion concerning the issue. I dont know how people do it but its very wrong to support such a thing. Imagine, this same IG disobeyed presidential order, with all the killings going on and he thinks he is above board and to make it worse, some nigerians still give excuses for is disrespectful act?

My brother, its not good. Then what hope does the common man have? Turned everything in the senate into all about Saraki like Saraki will be the Senate President forever. They forget tomorrow.

Thank you o and you can help resonate this post so people like us that doesnt want this country to go crumbling on us, can stand against this outrageous behavious.
Best regards too

1 Like

Re: "I Don’t Owe Senate Any Apology" - IGP Idris by chernest2002: 10:26am On May 10, 2018
The IGP is a co member of killer herdsmen. grin
Re: "I Don’t Owe Senate Any Apology" - IGP Idris by freekick: 10:30am On May 10, 2018
To slap u dey hungry me with this rubbish.
seguno2:

Kindly google and share instances where a British or American official sent a replacement to their parliament or congress.
If you don’t, then please withdraw your comment as it shows that you are uninformed about the subject matter.

Re: "I Don’t Owe Senate Any Apology" - IGP Idris by vonlogon: 10:34am On May 10, 2018
Its important that officers under constituted authority should respect such. Not honoring the invite was acceptable, but three in a row shows that a feud is brewing. Where all these charade of power tugging is heading is the toppling over f the democracy that all these public officers are feeding on. IDRIS should respect constituted authority and appear before the house if his hands are clean. I'm sure all they want from him are answers
Re: "I Don’t Owe Senate Any Apology" - IGP Idris by Afamed: 10:40am On May 10, 2018
aolawale025:

NASS as an institution should be respected notwithstanding our feelings about the occupants
Same Way police is also an institution and should be respected. Nass belongs to the Legislature so also police belongs to the Judiciary. You can't disobey Judiciary when a senator refused to honour an invitation and you expect police to honour your invitation . A senator was arrested , suddenly they saw the reason to invite the IG. When people are being killed Benue, Kaduna and Zamfara. The happy go lucky Senators did not see it necessary to invite the IG.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "I Don’t Owe Senate Any Apology" - IGP Idris by lagosrd: 10:44am On May 10, 2018
aolawale025:

NASS as an institution should be respected notwithstanding our feelings about the occupants

We are all witnessing what we consume us all if we don't condemn in totality this arrogant insubordination. The mass is not to be pocketed or intimidated.
Re: "I Don’t Owe Senate Any Apology" - IGP Idris by Nobody: 10:48am On May 10, 2018
seguno2:

why should he waste is mb to google british or american conducts, is nass comparable to british parliament or us congress in character,code & conduct ... the only way to judge our conduct if wrong or right is via our own constitution ,are there constitutional grounds for delegation of duties ... ofcus YES .
donnt even make me say where in the world will a senator by invited for clarification on 'criminal charge' and he will refuse ... can parliament or congress embolden such.
series of shameful act dino as displayed lately ,,resisting arrest or jumping off a police van is enough to make dino lose sit be it parliament or in congress ... but we have a Nass that tag such as heroic and would even hold thankgiving service .
Nass should make things clearer ,is it the NPF conduct they av issue with or is it IG ,Idris ..its only under a criminal charge you cannt send delegates . information is power lets learn

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "I Don’t Owe Senate Any Apology" - IGP Idris by Afamed: 10:49am On May 10, 2018
Freeman59:
IGP continue jor. enjoy, na God give you Nigeria to play with. Can you try this with USA senate?
Yes he can't try that with US senate but remember, that the senate in US too could not shield their members when he is invited by either FBI or CIA. Abi you did not read where Dino was invited by Police authority on many occasions. A letter was even sent to him to the Senate president but he never cared to honour the police invitation.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "I Don’t Owe Senate Any Apology" - IGP Idris by Afamed: 10:53am On May 10, 2018
ericsmith:

why should he waste is mb to google british or american conducts, is nass comparable to british parliament or us congress in character,code & conduct ... the only way to judge our conduct if wrong or right is via our own constitution ,are there constitutional grounds for delegation of duties ... ofcus YES .
donnt even make me say where in the world will a senator by invited for clarification on 'criminal charge' and he will refuse ... can parliament or congress embolden such.
series of shameful act dino as displayed lately ,,resisting arrest or jumping off a police van is enough to make dino lose sit be it parliament or in congress ... but we have a Nass that tag such as heroic and would even hold thankgiving service .
Nass should make things clearer ,is it the NPF conduct they av issue with or is it IG ,Idris ..its only under a criminal charge you cannt send delegates . information is power lets learn
Ignore him, most of them are sympathetic to the bunch of half clever by half senators that are currently leading us.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "I Don’t Owe Senate Any Apology" - IGP Idris by Deji63: 10:54am On May 10, 2018
This man seeeeeffff!
Re: "I Don’t Owe Senate Any Apology" - IGP Idris by greatcrown: 11:17am On May 10, 2018
The IG should have carried this explanation to the floor of the senate, that is where it's needed and not by the public.

If your explanation is not fit for the senate then it is not fit for the public.

Stop dragging the people you failed to protect into your mess.

I concur with the senate that the man is an enemy of democracy.

Any person elected or selected or anointed who does not understand the supremacy of the constitution in a democratic setting is an enemy of democracy and they should be ejected from the system before they cause more damage.
Re: "I Don’t Owe Senate Any Apology" - IGP Idris by Afamed: 11:20am On May 10, 2018
freekick:
To slap u dey hungry me with this rubbish.
Ignore that mofo. He's a known ass licker of the Senate. Few days he was here defending the Senate for not passing the Budget since Nov 2017.

2 Likes

Re: "I Don’t Owe Senate Any Apology" - IGP Idris by SternProphet: 11:32am On May 10, 2018
There are ten times more Lawyers in the Nigerian Police than the Senate. The greatest mistake with this Senate is taking on the Police. Please get a pencil and paper and list the permanent elements of statehood in a democracy. The police is foundational. There will always be a Nigeria Police but I might join hands with other people to vote out my Senator next elections.

1 Like

Re: "I Don’t Owe Senate Any Apology" - IGP Idris by SirBunky85(m): 11:38am On May 10, 2018
SuperS1Panther:

The same way they respected the judiciary that said they lack power to suspend their colleagues. They should go and carry the respect for market nah!!!!!

He who does not give respect does not deserve one. In their shallow minds, they always think and behaviour as if they have both the Executive and Judiciary power vested on them.

Useless House of Summons and Suspension
don't mind dose hypocrites.Samuel anyanwu and co keep suspending fellow colleagues even after d courts has said dey have no such powers
Re: "I Don’t Owe Senate Any Apology" - IGP Idris by seguno2: 11:43am On May 10, 2018
SaintLucia:
You better ask your mother who your father is.

Is that what you usually do
Re: "I Don’t Owe Senate Any Apology" - IGP Idris by jimenyo: 11:48am On May 10, 2018
Of course,you do not owe them any apology because baba has asked you to say so!
But my question is,are we truly civilized enough to practise democracy in this country of ours?
The other time,it was the senate vs Magu.And just like that,Magu remains untouchable!
What about the case of the custom chairman,mr Amid?
With this,you should expect the IG to do same!After all,all of them who have hitherto extricated the challenges from the senate had and still have the backing of the mr "saint"!
IG,if I were you,I would do the same.Enjoy your impunity while it lasts!
But to the best of my knowledge,you had to force your men on Dino because he refused to honour your invitation,'abi'?Ok,what makes you think the senate of Federal Republic of Nigeria as a constituted authority do not have the power to do same to you?
Nigeria is a mess!
The best way to stay clear off trouble is to always be in good romance with the presidency!Shekena!
Re: "I Don’t Owe Senate Any Apology" - IGP Idris by NOETHNICITY(m): 11:48am On May 10, 2018
SuperS1Panther:
The Senate being led by Saraki and his gang is the worst in the history of Nigeria. It is the most clannish, self serving, arrogant, egoistic and unfortunately most incompetent Senate we ever had.

They turned the Senate to House of Summons. Thank God they have not even summoned God Almighty to appear before them.

The useless Senate has kidnapped our budget since November 2017 and yet they are taking 13.5m per month minus allowances.

After ridiculing themselves with the issue of Custom General's uniform, they failed to get Sagay summoned and now the IGP.

2 things are facts -- the National Assembly only has the powers to summon Ministers and not any other person. Not even Mr. President. Secondly, the IGP has the power to delegate his official functions to DIGs and AIGS, which he did by sending the DIG to address them. The same IGP has appeared before the House of Summons more than 7times.

If they need powers to be summoning everybody and.anybody, then they have to amend the constitution. They cannot be arrogating powers they do not have to themselves .

Our Senate of Suspension should learn to carry themselves with more dignity, sense of responsibility and patriotism to the nation.

Just wait and watch how Senate will try to amend the Police Act again, in their usual predictable manner.
U have a good understanding of the Nigeria senate as it is.
Re: "I Don’t Owe Senate Any Apology" - IGP Idris by Nobody: 12:02pm On May 10, 2018
Josh44s:

That’s Nigeria for you. Rotten constitution.
Extremely rotten and stinking. The constitution should be scrapped ASAP if we are to move to a new level.
Re: "I Don’t Owe Senate Any Apology" - IGP Idris by Nobody: 12:05pm On May 10, 2018
aolawale025:

SENATE - WATCH IT! . That was an article written by Col Abubakar Umar Dangiwa in the Guardian Newspaper of 6th August, 2017. As a young man undergoing regimental training while Col Abubakar was in Lagos (Armour Corps) then later as Mil Gov Kaduna State, I have taken so much interest in him. In the said article, he complained about the humiliation of Col Hammed Ibrahim Ali the Custom CG &,the harassment of Hadiza Usman the head of NPA.

Having gone through that article, I immediately remembered the letter written by Obj to National Assembly accusing them of high level corruption, I also remember the uncivilized & crude way of electing the present NASS leadership - the method that is unacceptable in civilized environment. Election where majority of party members were deceived & betrayed including old men like Senator Gemade, Abdulahi Adamu & others. We also have old man in the person of Buhari & party leaders betrayed & deceived. Dino was making a mockery of the total number of senators required to form a quorum for election to be held.

When Dino was declared wanted by Police, he failed to report, rather publicly, he was seen attending functions & being given a cover by the Senate President. The Senate makes law, while the Police enforces law. Both the maker of the law & the enforcer of the law, none is above the law. I remembered when Senator David Mark was the Senate President & Senator Iyabo Obasanjo was declared wanted by EFCC over 20 million naira her committee received from Ministry of Health, she went into hiding. Senator Mark was accused of hiding her but he said no because he knows law. Nobody saw Iyabo Obasanjo with Senator Mark during this period until she reported herself to EFCC.

Cases related to treason or felony is much more grave than corruption. Political cases all around the world most of the time end as treason or felony. I am a Yoruba man, I was told the story of Awolowo, I read of a lot of political cases in Africa & beyond. I witnessed Abiola & Obj cases. I pray for Dino & plead with stakeholders on his behalf.

There is nothing the Senate under this present leadership can do to IGP. Falana once said the difference between human beings & animals is the rule of law. Those who make the law & those enforcing the law are not above the law. Senate - Watch it!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "I Don’t Owe Senate Any Apology" - IGP Idris by AloneTK: 12:05pm On May 10, 2018
I'm not supporting the IG here but the senate was there when the Police invited Melaye and the latter refused to honour their invitation. Now that the tables have turned, they are crying foul........ Lawless country managed by selfish people.
Re: "I Don’t Owe Senate Any Apology" - IGP Idris by Jebosh(m): 12:06pm On May 10, 2018
Is igp trying to avoid questions or what?if the man is competent to hold d post,then he should be able to defend himself.well,since our President can give him order and he refused to follow it. O ga ooo nija
Re: "I Don’t Owe Senate Any Apology" - IGP Idris by nwachi1404: 12:16pm On May 10, 2018
Will the Senators kill the IG if he appears before the red chambers. Does he have anything to hide? Is it not the same senate that ratified his appointment?
Re: "I Don’t Owe Senate Any Apology" - IGP Idris by hush15: 12:31pm On May 10, 2018
SuperS1Panther:

The same way they respected the judiciary that said they lack power to suspend their colleagues. They should go and carry the respect for market nah!!!!!

He who does not give respect does not deserve one. In their shallow minds, they always think and behaviour as if they have both the Executive and Judiciary power vested on them.

Useless House of Summons and Suspension

Am sure you dont know the gravity of your comment. When the court said they lack the power to suspend their colleagues, the court was right because they arent the ones that employed the colleague but however, what you didnt understand is what the court did not say which is still to be considered and that is that however they handle their case, suspending wasnt the way to go. THE COURT INVALIDATED THE SUSPENSION BUT DIDNT MENTION A COMPULSORY REINSTATEMENT because senate standing rules are decided by the house themselves. They treat their own the way they deem it fit and that is as agreed by themselves since the beginnibg if the 8th senate. So they still can do anything with their own. It doesnt imply they will deny that colleague access to the chambers but when it comes to affluence and contributions in plenary, that colleague is inconsequential. His own vote is no vote. He cant perform oversight functions as delegated by the assembly. Ofcourse it may not affect pay but it sure does on reputation and affluence on pertinent issues and the courts cannot decide that. Its not sentimental talk but the interpretation of Law but thats that whether you accept it or not.

To the IG case, i have said it again and again, no excuse can justify the IG actions. You may not see anything wrong today but when you support actions like this, then you put the future at risk. Making NASS issues about Saraki and Dogora will only mislead people like you to wrecking an institution that characterize a democratic nation. Thats democracy insulted and raped. Even if Mr President can still revert to the NASS to explain some actions as done on the tuscano purchase, budget matters or even appointment, then why cant a mere IG come do his own explanations. Afterall, its not like the senate will send him to jail! Avoiding the senate only makes his principal look stupid and murder his ambitions.

Am not really surprised, he even disobeys presidential orders but that in itself is rubbish. If Buhari allows the Presidency be ridiculed, nigerians shouldnt tolerate that to the national assembly. We need to strengthen our institutions. We need to respect the offices we give as a people. A good institution breed strong systems and strong systems results in a vibrant economy. Good and bad people may occupy those offices but a strong institution will always regulate them and if you continue to encourage such acts of impunity, then i dont see nigeria moving forward.
Re: "I Don’t Owe Senate Any Apology" - IGP Idris by authority2006(m): 12:34pm On May 10, 2018
[s]
maestroferddi:
I will have to condescend to honour you with a response...

The National Assembly remains a bulwark to the dictatorial and tyrannical tendencies and predispositions of Buhari but I dont expect you to see that since you are a zombie acording to popular acclaim.

Your brain is still booting...It will be re-formatted fully next year when the value eroder in Aso Rock gets sent back to Daura for perpetual retirement.
[/s]

Childish and senseless comment.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "I Don’t Owe Senate Any Apology" - IGP Idris by authority2006(m): 12:40pm On May 10, 2018
hush15:

Am sure you dont know the gravity of your comment. When the court said they lack the power to suspend their colleagues, the court was right because they arent the ones that employed the colleague but however, what you didnt understand is what the court did not say which is still to be considered and that is that however they handle their case, suspending wasnt the way to go. THE COURT INVALIDATED THE SUSPENSION BUT DIDNT MENTION A COMPULSORY REINSTATEMENT because senate standing rules are decided by the house themselves. They treat their own the way they deem it fit and that is as agreed by themselves since the beginnibg if the 8th senate. So they still can do anything with their own. It doesnt imply they will deny that colleague access to the chambers but when it comes to affluence and contributions in plenary, that colleague is inconsequential. His own vote is no vote. He cant perform oversight functions as delegated by the assembly. Ofcourse it may not affect pay but it sure does on reputation and affluence on pertinent issues and the courts cannot decide that. Its not sentimental talk but the interpretation of Law but thats that whether you accept it or not.

To the IG cases, i have said it again and again, no excuse can justify the IG actions. You may not see anything wrong today but when you support actions like this, then you put the future at risk. Making NASS issues about Saraki and Dogora will only mislead people like you to wrecking an institution that characterize a democratic nation. Thats democracy insulted and raped. Even if Mr President can still revert to the NASS to explain some actions as done on the tuscano purchase, budget matters or even appointment, then why cant a mere IG come do his own explanations. Afterall, its not like the senate will send him to jail! Avoiding the senate only makes his principal look stupid and murder his ambitions.

Am not really surprise, he even disobeys presidential orders but that in itself is rubbish. If Buhari allows the Presidency be ridiculed, nigerians shouldnt tolerate that to the national assembly. We need to strengthen our institutions. We need to respect the offices we give as a people. A good institution breed strong systems and strong systems results in a vibrant economy. Good and bad people may occupy those offices but a strong institution will always regulate them and if you continue to encourage such acts of impunity, then i dont see nigeria moving forward.

They invalidated the suspension but didn't mention the compulsory reinstatement? Hypocrisy of the highest order! An action was invalidated but you're still waiting for a verdict that calls for reversal of that action. Funny country with funny people.
Re: "I Don’t Owe Senate Any Apology" - IGP Idris by Bruemath(m): 12:45pm On May 10, 2018
Drama everywhere
Re: "I Don’t Owe Senate Any Apology" - IGP Idris by hush15: 1:00pm On May 10, 2018
Afamed:

Same Way police is also an institution and should be respected. Nass belongs to the Legislature so also police belongs to the Judiciary. You can't disobey Judiciary when a senator refused to honour an invitation and you expect police to honour your invitation . A senator was arrested , suddenly they saw the reason to invite the IG. When people are being killed Benue, Kaduna and Zamfara. The happy go lucky Senators did not see it necessary to invite the IG.

You right, the office should be respected as well. And i am pretty sure that that office has not been disrepected because the senate have not made any slanderous comment as regards the office of IG. Moreso, he is being requested to come give explanations and as the IG, what he says matters unlike being represented where statements would be made on neither here or there statements and can even be disregarded in the future by the same police after dismissing the officer that said such.

However, where the Institution is acting in an unbecoming manner, then other supervising institution that can influence its behavious has the right to call the boss and ask whats going on. The Senate Committee on Police affairs who happens to be same people in the government of the ruling class request to see him to get some explanation and the IG is behaving like he is from mars. We need to understand that this is not a personal issue. Police behaviour in recent times is appalling especially under this government. The several SARs saga and abuse of power, the killings everywhere and corruption is too rampant. While i went to pick a friend at heathrow airport the other day, imigration officers courteously led my friend to a waitinf cos they suspected him because of the way he dress and the kept treating him with respect till they released him after realizing they had nothing on him. They apologized and told him to enjoy his stay. If na nigeria, they will have slapped him, beat him him reckless for just the way he looked and thrown him to cell only to realize that he is innocent. When they now realize how stupid they behave, then they begin to look for something incriminating to justify their actions. Thats the situation.

The same stupid thing is what the IG is doing now. If after appearing and the senate begins to take unworthy actions, then he is allowed to act the way he deems fit. Not disregarding summons and start justifying why he nees to disregard senate summons.
Re: "I Don’t Owe Senate Any Apology" - IGP Idris by Temple1288(m): 1:04pm On May 10, 2018
Just like the US Senate summoning Michael Horowitz
and he tells them "Hey guys I can't come and I owe y'all no apology"

Just think of what's gonna happen....

The worst is that people are praising this useless behavior by the Police IG

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Photos From Governor Wike's Thanksgiving After He Won Governorship Election / Military Moves Swamp Buggies To Okuoma, Delta / Achebe’s Biafra Memoir Stirs Controversy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.