Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,897 members, 7,844,878 topics. Date: Thursday, 30 May 2024 at 09:23 AM

"I Don’t Owe Senate Any Apology" - IGP Idris - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / "I Don’t Owe Senate Any Apology" - IGP Idris (27838 Views)

Buhari’s Cabinet: We Don’t Owe You Explanations On Delay, APC Tells PDP / I Owe Nobody Any Apology For Supporting Buhari - Kenneth Okonkwo / Buhari Owes No One Any Apology On Jobless Nigerian Youths Statement– Tony Momoh (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "I Don’t Owe Senate Any Apology" - IGP Idris by authority2006(m): 9:16am On May 10, 2018
maestroferddi:
If you can pause for a moment and use your senses that would everybody a world of good.

You are supporting tyranny and illegality because of primordial considerations.

You should be ashamed of yourself...

What I see here is that you refused to be objective and deal with facts. You're being sentimental, abusive and at the same time, emotional. The number one rascal as an institution in Nigeria today is the senate.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: "I Don’t Owe Senate Any Apology" - IGP Idris by Freeman59: 9:18am On May 10, 2018
IGP continue jor. enjoy, na God give you Nigeria to play with. Can you try this with USA senate?
Re: "I Don’t Owe Senate Any Apology" - IGP Idris by Xano(m): 9:19am On May 10, 2018
SuperS1Panther:

NASS power of summoning starts and stops with the Minister, because in the organogram all other public officers report them and they are me to have a complete overview of happenings in their ministry. Read the constitution.

They cannot even.summon Mr. President. Have you forgotten how summoning of Itse Sagay died a natural death, based on the established fact.

If they will like the power to be summoning everybody and even God, they will have to amend the constitution and not by arrogating powers they do not have to themselves.

True, but, they may eventually amend the Constitution
Re: "I Don’t Owe Senate Any Apology" - IGP Idris by authority2006(m): 9:19am On May 10, 2018
SalamRushdie:

Dino will be okay by God's grace ..

Nothing is wrong with Dino. Every society deserves the kind of leaders it has. You're doing yourself.

2 Likes

Re: "I Don’t Owe Senate Any Apology" - IGP Idris by michoim(m): 9:19am On May 10, 2018
SuperS1Panther:
The Senate being led by Saraki and his gang is the worst in the history of Nigeria. It is the most clannish, self serving, arrogant, egoistic and unfortunately most incompetent Senate we ever had.

They turned the Senate to House of Summons. Thank God they have not even summoned God Almighty to appear before them.

The useless Senate has kidnapped our budget since November s2017 and yet they are taking 13.5m per month minus allowances.

After ridiculing themselves with the issue of Custom General's uniform, they failed to get Sagay summoned and now the IGP.

2 things are facts -- the National Assembly only has the powers to summon Ministers and not any other person. Not even Mr. President. Secondly, the IGP has the power to delegate his official functions to DIGs and AIMS, which he did by sending the DIG to address them. The same IGP has appeared before the House of Summons more than 7times.

If they need powers to be summoning everybody and.anybody, then they have to amend the constitution. They cannot be arrogating powers they do not have to themselves .

Our Senate of Suspension should learn to carry themselves with more dignity, sense of responsibility and patriotism to the nation.

Just wait and watch how Senate will try to amend the Police Act again, in their usual predictable manner.

Very correct

2 Likes

Re: "I Don’t Owe Senate Any Apology" - IGP Idris by SuperS1Panther: 9:20am On May 10, 2018
maestroferddi:
If you can pause for a moment and use your senses that would everybody a world of good.

You are supporting tyranny and illegality because of primordial considerations.

You should be ashamed of yourself...

The codeine you took is yet to clear from your brain. Thank God FG deemed it fit to ban because of people like you

Do they have the power to summon the IGP. Establish that first. From where did they derived the summoning power from? Show us.

Should they entertain a case in Court of Law, which is against their own house order and constitution.

2 Likes

Re: "I Don’t Owe Senate Any Apology" - IGP Idris by SuperS1Panther: 9:23am On May 10, 2018
Freeman59:
IGP continue jor. enjoy, na God give you Nigeria to play with. Can you try this with USA senate?

Will US Senate summon people they do not have powers to summon.

Will US Senate entertain a case in Court?

Will US Senate disrespect the judiciary by continuing with unlawful clannish and barbaric suspension of their colleagues despite a subsisting court ruling ?

4 Likes

Re: "I Don’t Owe Senate Any Apology" - IGP Idris by BabaO2: 9:25am On May 10, 2018
aolawale025:

NASS as an institution should be respected notwithstanding our feelings about the occupants
education is liberation, to know what is right from what is wrong. Those guys at the senate are nothing but self serving. We need to be antagonistic and revolt against this current national assembly if we need to take the country out vicious circle of the past years. How can we explain that the national assembly was shutdown for the purpose of of visiting an alleged gun running member who violently resisted arrest and attempting to escape in hospital for the injury he sustained during the escape attempt.

2 Likes

Re: "I Don’t Owe Senate Any Apology" - IGP Idris by Ihsan6(m): 9:28am On May 10, 2018
seguno2:

Kindly google and share instances where a British or American official sent a replacement to their parliament or congress.
If you don’t, then please withdraw your comment as it shows that you are uninformed about the subject matter.
Is Nigeria constitution same as that of Britain and America?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "I Don’t Owe Senate Any Apology" - IGP Idris by maestroferddi: 9:31am On May 10, 2018
authority2006:

What I see here is that you refused to be objective and deal with facts. You're being sentimental and at the same time, emotional. The number one rascal as an institution in Nigeria today is the senate.
I will have to condescend to honour you with a response...

The National Assembly remains a bulwark to the dictatorial and tyrannical tendencies and predispositions of Buhari but I dont expect you to see that since you are a zombie acording to popular acclaim.

Your brain is still booting...It will be re-formatted fully next year when the value eroder in Aso Rock gets sent back to Daura for perpetual retirement.
Re: "I Don’t Owe Senate Any Apology" - IGP Idris by bekpo(m): 9:34am On May 10, 2018
aolawale025:

NASS as an institution should be respected notwithstanding our feelings about the occupants

NASS as an institution should be respected but the present NASS as it is constituted. We have NASS that has abdicated there constitutional responsibility to political witchhunt. We have NASS that since their constitution has not pass any viable law. I am talking abt NASS that has been bideviled by rogs and criminals. NASS that does not understand the provisions of the 1999 constitution. NASS that only duty is attacking the executive and frustrating every steps taken by d executive to improve d economy. The NASS who has failed to pass 2018 appropriation bill and question Mr President for buying fighter jets from US without appropriation yet they r paying themselves a hupping sum of 20m monthly without appropriation. Shameless and criminal infested NASS.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "I Don’t Owe Senate Any Apology" - IGP Idris by Bishop4real: 9:34am On May 10, 2018
seguno2:

Kindly google and share instances where a British or American official sent a replacement to their parliament or congress.
If you don’t, then please withdraw your comment as it shows that you are uninformed about the subject matter.

Kindly google & share instances where British or American legislature refused to treat appropriation bill/budget over four months from date of submission! Furthermore, extend such search to where they also suspend plenary to pay solidarity visits to members under criminal investigations.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "I Don’t Owe Senate Any Apology" - IGP Idris by Ihsan6(m): 9:34am On May 10, 2018
dadavivo:

Because Saraki defeated the thief in Lagos abi?

This is the best Senate in Nigeria so far, that doesn't support bad thing, if not for them Buhari would have turn Nigeria to another abacha regime
U MEAN BEST SENATE? Like seriously?

1 Like

Re: "I Don’t Owe Senate Any Apology" - IGP Idris by Bimpe29: 9:36am On May 10, 2018
It is unfortunate to have turned the hallow chambers to mere private institution of some individuals based on the perceived conflict of interest.
No matter what happens, that institution must be respected by all and sundry. Buhari's presidency has succeeded in relegating the Legislative arm to the background.
Both houses are not for the Sarakis, Melayes, Dogaras and co, rather they are for the generality of Nigerians.
SuperS1Panther:
The Senate being led by Saraki and his gang is the worst in the history of Nigeria. It is the most clannish, self serving, arrogant, egoistic and unfortunately most incompetent Senate we ever had.

They turned the Senate to House of Summons. Thank God they have not even summoned God Almighty to appear before them.

The useless Senate has kidnapped our budget since November 2017 and yet they are taking 13.5m per month minus allowances.

Re: "I Don’t Owe Senate Any Apology" - IGP Idris by bekpo(m): 9:39am On May 10, 2018
BabaO2:
education is liberation, to know what is right from what is wrong. Those guys at the senate are nothing but self serving. We need to be antagonistic and revolt against this current national assembly if we need to take the country out vicious circle of the past years. How can we explain that the national assembly was shutdown for the purpose of of visiting an alleged gun running member who violently resisted arrest and attempting to escape in hospital for the injury he sustained during the escape attempt.

In a civilise society, the civil society will occupy the NASS and revolt against them. Is Dino above the law?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "I Don’t Owe Senate Any Apology" - IGP Idris by maestroferddi: 9:41am On May 10, 2018
SuperS1Panther:

The codeine you took is yet to clear from your brain. Thank God FG deemed it fit to ban because of people like you

Do they have the power to summon the IGP. Establish that first. From where did they derived the summoning power from? Show us.

Should they entertain a case in Court of Law, which is against their own house order and constitution.
I will do nothing to vacate you from the fool's paradise you have chosen to make your place of abode...

Even the IGP you are ignorantly backing never contested the power of the senate to discharge its oversight function as spelt out in the doctrine of separation of powers and the principle of checks and balances. Instead he was canvassing a lazy argument of delegated representation.

When your peers were paying attention to teachings in an O Level Government Class, you were probably consumed in the antics of truancy or else you wouldnt have come here to exhibit crass tomfoolery by arguing on a subject for which you have no clue...

1 Like

Re: "I Don’t Owe Senate Any Apology" - IGP Idris by seguno2: 9:42am On May 10, 2018
So101:
we are not in Britain or America

Where is Buhari grin
Re: "I Don’t Owe Senate Any Apology" - IGP Idris by SuperS1Panther: 9:44am On May 10, 2018
Bimpe29:
It is unfortunate to have turned the hallow chambers to mere private institution of some individuals based on the perceived conflict of interest.
No matter what happens, that institution must be respected by all and sundry. Buhari's presidency has succeeded in relegating the Legislative arm to the background.
Both houses are not for the Sarakis, Melayes, Dogaras and co, rather they are for the generality of Nigerians.

The institution is respected, it is the occupiers that are disrespecting the institution.

They do not have powers to summon everybody. They only have powers to.summon Ministers or public officers in case of investigation of corrupt act.

They should respect the institution by not arrogating powers they do not have to themselves.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "I Don’t Owe Senate Any Apology" - IGP Idris by godliman: 9:44am On May 10, 2018
SuperS1Panther:

The useless Senate has kidnapped our budget since November 2017 and yet they are taking 13.5m per month minus allowances.

After ridiculing themselves with the issue of Custom General's uniform, they failed to get Sagay summoned and now the IGP.

2 things are facts -- the National Assembly only has the powers to summon Ministers and not any other person. Not even Mr. President. Secondly, the IGP has the power to delegate his official functions to DIGs and AIGS, which he did by sending the DIG to address them. The same IGP has appeared before the House of Summons more than 7times.

If they need powers to be summoning everybody and.anybody, then they have to amend the constitution. They cannot be arrogating powers they do not have to themselves .

Our Senate of Suspension should learn to carry themselves with more dignity, sense of responsibility and patriotism to the nation.

Just wait and watch how Senate will try to amend the Police Act again, in their usual predictable manner.
NA FOR BUSH YOU SCHOOL?
Re: "I Don’t Owe Senate Any Apology" - IGP Idris by Bishopsgate(m): 9:52am On May 10, 2018
Why are we always like this in Nigeria and Africa?

Why are we always melodramatic?

Why has a senate summons become a matter to be decided by a court when serious matters are yet to be addressed?

The IG is just playing games with the Senate because he knows the proposed meeting is to hammer him but then if his case is iron clad why not go there and rubbish them and their arguments as many others before him have done in the past (remember Sanusi?)

Meanwhile, the pendulum swings both ways here. Where is it written that he requires a court order to appear before the senate upon receipt of their summons? Does he not have the prerogative to apply discretion?

I am not a Melaye lover as I have said many times past but the public show of Shame (true or concocted) and the national importance of the underlying happenings should have simply lead him to tow the path of humility and respect for an important arm of the government which he purportedly serves.

He is wasting our tax money instituting a worthless and needles case in court.

Is this how low we have become debased in this country? He could simply have just told them the day he will be available and stick to it. What is all this nonsense self?
Re: "I Don’t Owe Senate Any Apology" - IGP Idris by Reference(m): 9:53am On May 10, 2018
Lawless country filled with people wondering why nothing works. We are the victims of the mess we create and the failures we experience.

2 Likes

Re: "I Don’t Owe Senate Any Apology" - IGP Idris by Josh44s(m): 9:56am On May 10, 2018
kingkakaone:
What baffles me is that both the senate and the IGP quoted the constitution to back their claims.

My question is;
How did we come about with such a complicated and ambiguous constitution in the first place?

Note: Even some politicians sometimes use the constitution to evade justice by using the court against been tried by the court.

My opinion is that this constitution should be scrapped totally for a better one.

That’s Nigeria for you. Rotten constitution.

Re: "I Don’t Owe Senate Any Apology" - IGP Idris by Bishopsgate(m): 9:58am On May 10, 2018
SuperS1Panther:

The institution is respected, it is the occupiers that are disrespecting the institution.

They do not have powers to summon everybody. They only have powers to.summon Ministers or public officers in case of investigation of corrupt act.

They should respect the institution by not arrogating powers they do not have to themselves.

Just wondering if you are not contradicting yourself.
The IGP is a public servant, paid by tax payers money allocated by the same Senate he is refusing to appear before...
Re: "I Don’t Owe Senate Any Apology" - IGP Idris by Josh44s(m): 9:58am On May 10, 2018
Bishopsgate:
Why are we always like this in Nigeria and Africa?

Why are we always melodramatic?

Why has a senate summons become a matter to be decided by a court when serious matters are yet to be addressed?

The IG is just playing games with the Senate because he knows the proposed meeting is to hammer him but then if his case is iron clad why not go there and rubbish them and their arguments as many others before him have done in the past (remember Sanusi?)

Meanwhile, the pendulum swings both ways here. Where is it written that he requires a court order to appear before the senate upon receipt of their summons? Does he not have the prerogative to apply discretion?

I am not a Melaye lover as I have said many times past but the public show of Shame (true or concocted) and the national importance of the underlying happenings should have simply lead him to tow the path of humility and respect for an important arm of the government which he purportedly serves.

He is wasting our tax money instituting a worthless and needles case in court.

Is this how low we have become debased in this country? He could simply have just told them the day he will be available and stick to it. What is all this nonsense self?

Carry Bomb and go to Aso-Rock or NASS and help us solve the problem bro.

Re: "I Don’t Owe Senate Any Apology" - IGP Idris by hush15: 9:59am On May 10, 2018
SuperS1Panther:

2 things are facts -- the National Assembly only has the powers to summon Ministers and not any other person. Not even Mr. President. Secondly, the IGP has the power to delegate his official functions to DIGs and AIMS, which he did by sending the DIG to address them. The same IGP has appeared before the House of Summons more than 7times.

Thats the problem with this country. We all keep encouraging impunity acts and forget one day, when police maltreats us, nobody can stand against them. We look at the people not the institutions and not until we strenghten our institutions, we cant make progress.

This is abusing the Senate, when Saraki leaves, and another senate recovenes, the impunious acts set by this APC lead government will always surface. People make this about Saraki and the people there but they forget the the NASS will remain even after Saraki has left.

Why would an IG think this way, that means he is aware of the maltreatment of people in the public domain and he doesnt see anything is wrong, Whether its Dino or any nigerian. It is wrong, no matter how evil saraki is. He is still wrong and guilty conscience is worrying him.
This same explanation he is giving can be the same explanation he gives when at the assembly. This is just all about the ego and audacity. Whether we like it or not, the senate can summon him as long it falls on their oversight functions and the constitution guarantees them that it can be anybody, not just ministers as you stated. Its only screening of political appointees thats resteicted to ministers but to question and find out whats going on which constitutionally falls under their powers, they can request anybody from ordinary citizen to the president. Afterall, if the president can come to the senate to present budget whether ceremoniously or otherwise, why cant the IG come to the senate to explain the insecurity going on across the country. Its not like when he is done, they will then tie him down there. NASS dont have cells or hold down areas in the complex, even ordinary thugs could access the complex and still a maze. So what the problem of the IG.

Nigerians should not tolerate this act. It is wrong to the very core. Its bad precedence in the history of our economy. US Security chiefs go before their senates and congress and their courts. Why would our own be different. This is not about SARAKI OR HIS GOONS, This about the Institution that represent our collective force against a government thats flagrantly disregard or disrespect the rule of law. The Senators may not be clean and not represent the people's interest for today but we shouldnt allow our institution be ridiculed. One day, when one good guys finds their way there to represent their people, we want their words and action to mean something rather than nothing.

1 Like

Re: "I Don’t Owe Senate Any Apology" - IGP Idris by Bishopsgate(m): 9:59am On May 10, 2018
Reference:
Lawless country filled with people wondering why nothing works. We are the victims of the mess we create and the failures we experience.

Very true my brother..
Re: "I Don’t Owe Senate Any Apology" - IGP Idris by Bishopsgate(m): 10:01am On May 10, 2018
Josh44s:

That’s Nigeria for you. Rotten constitution.

This is why the UK has a fluid constitution.

Even that may not work for us in Nigeria because the political class and the so called public servants are just playing everyone else

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "I Don’t Owe Senate Any Apology" - IGP Idris by sosasatire(m): 10:04am On May 10, 2018
This 8th Assembly should first declare themselves not fit for public office..beg for forgiveness be we Nigerians should listen to any of them.
The Budget has been before them since Last year and they don't see the need of passing it but they want to declare someone enemy of democracy..

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "I Don’t Owe Senate Any Apology" - IGP Idris by monex(m): 10:05am On May 10, 2018
doctokwus:
I don't like this IGP,Idris.I feel he is incompetent and grossly nepotic,like his principal.
But on this issue,reading this release and knowing that the motives of the Senate is based on the criminal allegations against Melaye,a known thug and society deviant,I concur with IGP Idris 100%,and endorse his refusal to personally address the Senate.
The damn senators can go to hell and kiss his as s because he is legally covered!
Aside the legal backing Idris cited for his actions,the Saraki led senate serially encouraged Melaye as he severally and criminally refused to honour several invites extended to him to answer some questions on a grievous criminal matter!

QED !!!

1 Like

Re: "I Don’t Owe Senate Any Apology" - IGP Idris by rita25(f): 10:10am On May 10, 2018
NIGERIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HOW DID WE REACH THIS POINT? embarassed

1 Like

Re: "I Don’t Owe Senate Any Apology" - IGP Idris by Bishopsgate(m): 10:10am On May 10, 2018
hush15:

Thats the problem with this country. We all keep encouraging impunity acts and forget one day, when police maltreats us, nobody can stand against them. We look at the people not the institutions and not until we strenghten our institutions, we cant make progress.

This is abusing the Senate, when Saraki leaves, and another senate recovenes, the impunious acts set by this APC lead government will always surface. People make this about Saraki and the people there but they forget the the NASS will remain even after Saraki has left.

Why would an IG think this way, that means he is aware of the maltreatment of people in the public domain and he doesnt see anything is wrong, Whether its Dino or any nigerian. It is wrong, no matter how evil saraki is. He is still wrong and guilty conscience is worrying him.
This same explanation he is giving can be the same explanation he gives when at the assembly. This is just all about the ego and audacity. Whether we like it or not, the senate can summon him as long it falls on their oversight functions and the constitution guarantees them that it can be anybody, not just ministers as you stated. Its only screening of political appointees thats resteicted to ministers but to question and find out whats going on which constitutionally falls under their powers, they can request anybody from ordinary citizen to the president. Afterall, if the president can come to the senate to present budget whether ceremoniously or otherwise, why cant the IG come to the senate to explain the insecurity going on across the country. Its not like when he is done, they will then tie him down there. NASS dont have cells or hold down areas in the complex, even ordinary thugs could access the complex and still a maze. So what the problem of the IG.

Nigerians should not tolerate this act. It is wrong to the very core. Its bad precedence in the history of our economy. US Security chiefs go before their senates and congress and their courts. Why would our own be different. This is not about SARAKI OR HIS GOONS, This about the Institution that represent our collective force against a government thats flagrantly disregard or disrespect the rule of law. The Senators may not be clean and not represent the people's interest for today but we shouldnt allow our institution be ridiculed. One day, when one good guys finds their way there to represent their people, we want their words and action to mean something rather than nothing.

I am simply in love with your piece.

Objective, concise and we'll put together. I get some relief when I see there are still slot of Nigerians that apply wisdom and tact .

Please accept my thanks and best wishes
Re: "I Don’t Owe Senate Any Apology" - IGP Idris by SaintLucia: 10:12am On May 10, 2018
seguno2:

Don’t you think that all these things are happening because Buhari has no moral integrity nor authority to call anyone to order since he is a worse rogue and corrupt hypocrite
You better ask your mother who your father is.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Herdsmen Hail Suspension Of Ruga Settlements / Idia Ize-Iyamu Storms Auchi In Edo North For APC Campaign (Photos) / Military Launches Airstrike On Bonta, Benue To Kill Unknown Gunmen

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.