Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,202 members, 7,835,986 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 06:45 PM

Why Electricity Is Cut When There Is A Rainstorm In Nigeria - IKEDC - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Electricity Is Cut When There Is A Rainstorm In Nigeria - IKEDC (50043 Views)

Who Else Is Having Problems With Loading IKEDC Token? / TCN: Free Electricity Is Mere Propaganda / Lockdown: Free Electricity Is Not For All Nigerians – FG (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Electricity Is Cut When There Is A Rainstorm In Nigeria - IKEDC by boladez(m): 10:01am On May 13, 2018
hisgrace090:
Only because we never developed.

Still living in a jungle with it many trees.

So...its only in the jungle that we see trees..??

I thought it would make sense to say the cables should be underground like most modern cities?

The power company does a good thing in our prevailing circumstance to avoid unneccesary loss of lives.

2 Likes

Re: Why Electricity Is Cut When There Is A Rainstorm In Nigeria - IKEDC by DBlackCeazer(m): 10:01am On May 13, 2018
profmsboi:
Them go dry wire na, before they restore light back
where I reside, it approximately takes four days after every rain storm before power is restored.

1 Like

Re: Why Electricity Is Cut When There Is A Rainstorm In Nigeria - IKEDC by anibirelawal(m): 10:02am On May 13, 2018
great664:

Yes Bro... Since the rain fell 5days ago in my area.. they are waiting for the pole to dry before restoring the light and it wants to rain again today I guess it will be 2weeks before the pole completely dried... That's if there's no rain fall in between

grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Why Electricity Is Cut When There Is A Rainstorm In Nigeria - IKEDC by PassingShot(m): 10:37am On May 13, 2018
chuka5000:
most European countries experience heavy storm and rainfalls far worse than ours yet u will never hear anything like power cut.
they should just accept they're inexperienced or that they no wan work. simple.
Do you know that in those countries, there power lines are mostly buried underground?
Re: Why Electricity Is Cut When There Is A Rainstorm In Nigeria - IKEDC by AngelicBeing: 10:38am On May 13, 2018
sad
Re: Why Electricity Is Cut When There Is A Rainstorm In Nigeria - IKEDC by HeyCorleone(m): 10:41am On May 13, 2018
HtwoOw:
Borrow sense when next you want to comment, this problem started since 1912 , and your ancestors were part of the problem How ??

I bet they did not follow the building regulations approved by the Local government, if that was implemented , then this wouldn't be happening , as a matter of fact most houses abroad look alike , that's what you call estates here because they have a particular plan and everyone who wants to build their plots have to

Nigeria's problem with electricity should not be an object of ridicle and they turn of power ( even if it's inconvenient ) to save the life of people like you

See how you're wholeheartedly defending mediocrity.

You must be a shame among your peers.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Electricity Is Cut When There Is A Rainstorm In Nigeria - IKEDC by profmsboi(m): 10:41am On May 13, 2018
DBlackCeazer:
where I reside, it approximately takes four days after every rain storm before power is restored.

Lol.

They're drying the wire na
Re: Why Electricity Is Cut When There Is A Rainstorm In Nigeria - IKEDC by Nobody: 10:46am On May 13, 2018
Useless country

1 Like

Re: Why Electricity Is Cut When There Is A Rainstorm In Nigeria - IKEDC by seniormallam(m): 10:46am On May 13, 2018
Today marked 1week and 2days since they took the light because of rain, lo, and behold, there was heavy rain yesterday again, light see you in JUNE

2 Likes

Re: Why Electricity Is Cut When There Is A Rainstorm In Nigeria - IKEDC by debolayinka(m): 10:49am On May 13, 2018
Isn't it possible to run cables underground?

1 Like

Re: Why Electricity Is Cut When There Is A Rainstorm In Nigeria - IKEDC by Ayomivic(m): 10:52am On May 13, 2018
Opinionated:
Ikeja Electric also known as (IKEDC) has taken time to explain why it is common to electricity cut in Nigeria when there is a rainstorm.

It posted the explanation on Twitter thus:

Do You know?

That power outages during storms are mostly a safety measure that in the event of a short circuit, broken branch or strong winds felling poles, lives and property may be protected as there is significantly increased risk of harm where wires remain energized in a strong storm?

What do you think: a good thing or not?

Source: http://www.opinions.ng/electricity-cut-rainstorm-nigeria-ikedc/

Ok why was it cut when it rain and there was no rainstorm?

For my Area now whenever it rain peacefuly without storm it we take us like three days before we see light .We don't know may be they need to dry the wet wires to give us light
Re: Why Electricity Is Cut When There Is A Rainstorm In Nigeria - IKEDC by romeorailss: 10:53am On May 13, 2018
neyop85:
This action can only be justified if they restore power immediately after the storm. But no, Naija NEPA uses the storm as an excuse to hold power indefinitely.

They need to dry the wires with sun first angry
Re: Why Electricity Is Cut When There Is A Rainstorm In Nigeria - IKEDC by zhyzhy: 10:54am On May 13, 2018
Ordinary rain oooo.
If snow come fall nko?

1 Like

Re: Why Electricity Is Cut When There Is A Rainstorm In Nigeria - IKEDC by dlawnoni: 10:55am On May 13, 2018
DBlackCeazer:
we are in the jungle, but trees are few.
We should also ask why it takes over two days to restore power after a rain storm. Smh for my country.
two days ke! U no even talk one week..today makes it one week here they took lite off cos of little rainstorm...I jz dy vex since.
Re: Why Electricity Is Cut When There Is A Rainstorm In Nigeria - IKEDC by mumisco4real(f): 10:57am On May 13, 2018
This happens in Nigeria because we don't take measures to curb this ugly menace. we still use obsolete equipment for electricity transmission and distribution.no lighting or surge arrestors on most of our power line.we allow poles,cross arms etc to damage before replacing them .it is very possible to avoid these outages if we are willing to improve on our power networks.

4 Likes

Re: Why Electricity Is Cut When There Is A Rainstorm In Nigeria - IKEDC by seniormallam(m): 10:58am On May 13, 2018
According to my colleague, the reason why PMB should win 2019; during the time of GEJ, some areas were enyoing why some areas like his own were suffering, but under PMB, every area is feeling the heat, my question is, why not let us vote for someone that can make both areas enjoyable?
Re: Why Electricity Is Cut When There Is A Rainstorm In Nigeria - IKEDC by Mailthaddeus(m): 11:01am On May 13, 2018
jojomario:
Is Nigeria the only country that experiences rain fall?

Don't mind the shithole country, small rain will fall, NEPA will use 3days to dry pole.

1 Like

Re: Why Electricity Is Cut When There Is A Rainstorm In Nigeria - IKEDC by chicoMX(m): 11:02am On May 13, 2018
Trash!!
Re: Why Electricity Is Cut When There Is A Rainstorm In Nigeria - IKEDC by dondo83(m): 11:04am On May 13, 2018
chuka5000:
most European countries experience heavy storm and rainfalls far worse than ours yet u will never hear anything like power cut.
they should just accept they're inexperienced or that they no wan work. simple.
. most Europeans countries have there cable underground
Re: Why Electricity Is Cut When There Is A Rainstorm In Nigeria - IKEDC by panmunium(m): 11:06am On May 13, 2018
Even if it's ordinary breeze or wind, they quickly take the light, we are still in 18th century

1 Like

Re: Why Electricity Is Cut When There Is A Rainstorm In Nigeria - IKEDC by mywells: 11:06am On May 13, 2018
A country lead by dead body and illiterate.
Re: Why Electricity Is Cut When There Is A Rainstorm In Nigeria - IKEDC by Nobody: 11:07am On May 13, 2018
rs172:
even as rain dey fall anyhow for Cotonou where i dey, the light never go off..

it even when you go outside you will know rain is falling..

you no lie ooh
very true!!!
Re: Why Electricity Is Cut When There Is A Rainstorm In Nigeria - IKEDC by kmaster007: 11:11am On May 13, 2018
naija naija... I salute ooooo
Re: Why Electricity Is Cut When There Is A Rainstorm In Nigeria - IKEDC by RealityShot: 11:14am On May 13, 2018
DOUBLEWAHALA:
no one came here with joy guys make una chill naw
it's comments like this that have kept this country in the dark ages!
Imagine, we were asked our opinion, people are giving their's as it is and you're asking that, seriously?

Don't be a lazy youth... Say white is white and Shame these LaiLai-Mohammeds

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Electricity Is Cut When There Is A Rainstorm In Nigeria - IKEDC by Max24: 11:14am On May 13, 2018
Thats probably the bulshit they Buhari and he accepted it, hence their confidence to pass it to "lazy" Nigerian youths. The same lazy Nigerian youths that are smarter than their President. Enough of analog Presidency!!!
Re: Why Electricity Is Cut When There Is A Rainstorm In Nigeria - IKEDC by Hairyrapunzel: 11:14am On May 13, 2018
Electric wires that are meant to be underground are hanging on poles why wouldn't they give rubbish explanation. Anyway, since the wires are above the ground in Nigeria, switching off whenever it rains sounds like the only available safety measure.
Re: Why Electricity Is Cut When There Is A Rainstorm In Nigeria - IKEDC by grandstar(m): 11:17am On May 13, 2018
I'm no electrical engineering genius but I know lightning arrestors can be used to mitigate lightning strikes.

The excuse is untenable in the 21st century.

1 Like

Re: Why Electricity Is Cut When There Is A Rainstorm In Nigeria - IKEDC by Pesuzok(m): 11:24am On May 13, 2018
This is mainly due to power maintenance of the transmission lines and protection systems. During storm, it is possible that a fault must have occurred somewhere, maybe a pole fell. This would take some days to fix. It is also necessary to clear tress along the transmission line.

Using underground cables would help reduce these outages, but they are very expensive and would be a very long term project.

Nothing like 'make pole dry'
Re: Why Electricity Is Cut When There Is A Rainstorm In Nigeria - IKEDC by diamond88: 11:26am On May 13, 2018
Ever since the heavy storm and rain that happened last week Saturdaypower had not been restored here. It's 8 days now
Re: Why Electricity Is Cut When There Is A Rainstorm In Nigeria - IKEDC by nevilbot: 11:27am On May 13, 2018
Very flimsy excuse to cover incompetence. So rains and thunder and lightening don't strike in advanced countries that have uninterrupted power supply?

As I'm typing this, its been raining since 3am and its still raining in the European country where I live and light no blink.

Rubbish

1 Like

Re: Why Electricity Is Cut When There Is A Rainstorm In Nigeria - IKEDC by Pesuzok(m): 11:27am On May 13, 2018
Hairyrapunzel:
Electric wires that are meant to be underground are hanging on poles why wouldn't they give rubbish explanation. Anyway, since the wires are above the ground in Nigeria, switching off whenever it rains sounds like the only available safety measure.

Because they are not sure of these protection systems.

Secondly, most homes are not properly earthed, and even some lack thunder arrestors

1 Like

Re: Why Electricity Is Cut When There Is A Rainstorm In Nigeria - IKEDC by Etizz: 11:28am On May 13, 2018
Dat is because they lack proper monitoring of all their power lines,facilities and equipment, if they do, then no cause for alarm weda rain or storm....

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Protest Erupts In Katsina Over Kidnap Of School Children / MEND Leader, Henry Okah Was Paid To Assassinate Me - Jonathan / APC Agents Give Lagos Residents N1,500, N2,000 To Vote For Sanwo-Olu - FIJ (Pix)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.