Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,078 members, 7,835,637 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 12:48 PM

Why Electricity Is Cut When There Is A Rainstorm In Nigeria - IKEDC - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Electricity Is Cut When There Is A Rainstorm In Nigeria - IKEDC (50040 Views)

Who Else Is Having Problems With Loading IKEDC Token? / TCN: Free Electricity Is Mere Propaganda / Lockdown: Free Electricity Is Not For All Nigerians – FG (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Electricity Is Cut When There Is A Rainstorm In Nigeria - IKEDC by Hallabee1(m): 12:55pm On May 13, 2018
If I Hear
Re: Why Electricity Is Cut When There Is A Rainstorm In Nigeria - IKEDC by Kylekent59: 12:58pm On May 13, 2018
They made use of obsolete materials/components. I wonder why in this century we are still trying to get developed.

Had it been we had a good and educated leaders, all these wouldn't be happening.

Just like yesterday,it was about to rain and when the thunder strucked,they disconnected the power supply immediately. It was around 3a.m in the morning it was restored. Am just tied of how this country is governed.

Nigeria needs to be highly effloresence(high stage of development)
Re: Why Electricity Is Cut When There Is A Rainstorm In Nigeria - IKEDC by Nobody: 12:59pm On May 13, 2018
Opinionated:
Ikeja Electric also known as (IKEDC) has taken time to explain why it is common to electricity cut in Nigeria when there is a rainstorm.

It posted the explanation on Twitter thus:

Do You know?

That power outages during storms are mostly a safety measure that in the event of a short circuit, broken branch or strong winds felling poles, lives and property may be protected as there is significantly increased risk of harm where wires remain energized in a strong storm?

What do you think: a good thing or not?

Source: http://www.opinions.ng/electricity-cut-rainstorm-nigeria-ikedc/

Zoologically. grin.
Re: Why Electricity Is Cut When There Is A Rainstorm In Nigeria - IKEDC by rs172(m): 1:00pm On May 13, 2018
Diso60090:

i sight Yahoo Boy No laptop

Wey dey sup there guy

I'm a law abiding person, i detest and hate yahoo with passion, i don't move with them, if i sight anyone close around me to be one i disassociate myself from the person..

My nigga we just dey push am nii oo..
Re: Why Electricity Is Cut When There Is A Rainstorm In Nigeria - IKEDC by Diso60090(m): 1:03pm On May 13, 2018
chuka5000:
mi

mi?
Re: Why Electricity Is Cut When There Is A Rainstorm In Nigeria - IKEDC by Jackossky(m): 1:04pm On May 13, 2018
And here I am Thinking maybe Nigeria makes use of 'Firewood' to source for electricity. So whenever rain falls, they have to wait till the fire wood dries up.
Re: Why Electricity Is Cut When There Is A Rainstorm In Nigeria - IKEDC by OtorStrain(m): 1:06pm On May 13, 2018
And after the rain, the sun has to shine to dry up the wet electric poles and cables for about a whole week before we can shout NEPAAA! If una no fit give us light make una just shut una mouths up.

1 Like

Re: Why Electricity Is Cut When There Is A Rainstorm In Nigeria - IKEDC by Nobody: 1:16pm On May 13, 2018
hisgrace090:
Only because we never developed.

Still living in a jungle with it many trees.
The fact that you have many likes on this comment is chilling. Average nigerian city has two times less trees than a western city.

1 Like

Re: Why Electricity Is Cut When There Is A Rainstorm In Nigeria - IKEDC by Damibiz(m): 1:18pm On May 13, 2018
Even AEDC here in Gwagwalada too
Talknochip:
Smh... And the power usually remains 'CUT' for days, atimes weeks even after the rainstorm! ( JEDC,KEDC ) are very guilty of this...

1 Like

Re: Why Electricity Is Cut When There Is A Rainstorm In Nigeria - IKEDC by Chukazu: 1:20pm On May 13, 2018
SalamRushdie:
They sound like a power company from the late 1800s

In a country like ours where you still see power cable lines hanging on poles , that looks like a very good a excuse to give

But it's still a " useless excuse"

1 Like

Re: Why Electricity Is Cut When There Is A Rainstorm In Nigeria - IKEDC by Delivar(m): 1:20pm On May 13, 2018
Reelectbuhari:
mtcheew

biafra why the delay

why?
why??
You think Biafra will solve these problems too? You must be day dreaming. As long as Biafrans are still blacks don't expect anything different.

1 Like

Re: Why Electricity Is Cut When There Is A Rainstorm In Nigeria - IKEDC by Nobody: 1:25pm On May 13, 2018
neyop85:
This action can only be justified if they restore power immediately after the storm. But no, Naija NEPA uses the storm as an excuse to hold power indefinitely.

What is their incentive to hold power?
Re: Why Electricity Is Cut When There Is A Rainstorm In Nigeria - IKEDC by jaytime(m): 1:31pm On May 13, 2018
Hmmm, yet there was still light in the Titanic as it was sinking inside water. Yet in the US, UK and the rest, there is no power outage during rain, winter or autumn. No wahala NEPA, una think say na we una dey do, na una self...
Re: Why Electricity Is Cut When There Is A Rainstorm In Nigeria - IKEDC by toscolee(m): 1:34pm On May 13, 2018
hisgrace090:
Only because we never developed.

Still living in a jungle with it many trees.

having few trees is not development. we even need more of them. trees benefit the environment in several ways. it can be handled without the trees removed.
Re: Why Electricity Is Cut When There Is A Rainstorm In Nigeria - IKEDC by toscolee(m): 1:38pm On May 13, 2018
Netanyahu1:
The fact that you have many likes on this comment is chilling. Average nigerian city has two times less trees than a western city.
surprised to see the comment getting likes and shares. amazing!
Re: Why Electricity Is Cut When There Is A Rainstorm In Nigeria - IKEDC by Clentuzbaba(m): 1:59pm On May 13, 2018
I don't have problem wt dem, dey she just remember to cut our bills too' weneva rain is falling

Awon oloshi

1 Like

Re: Why Electricity Is Cut When There Is A Rainstorm In Nigeria - IKEDC by okwabayi(m): 2:04pm On May 13, 2018
In my city this reason is why we enjoy more efficient electricity. I'm beginning to feel rain storms were the overall cause of blown transformers. Since they employed this tactic I suffer power cuts mostly during rainfall and not so much at other times of the day.

The first place I noticed this measure was in Abuja when I visited a friend for months. I was envious of their near-constant electricity situation and thought it stemmed from the wisdom of white engineers working for their distribution company. It's good to see other cities have caught on.

For those saying this doesn't happen in developed nations, it does. Not in their major cities but the rural areas. If you watch enough movies you'll see it happen -- most times they get short circuits which prompt the main character(s) to reset their fuse box.
Re: Why Electricity Is Cut When There Is A Rainstorm In Nigeria - IKEDC by Davoski222: 2:09pm On May 13, 2018
Opinionated:
Ikeja Electric also known as (IKEDC) has taken time to explain why it is common to electricity cut in Nigeria when there is a rainstorm.

It posted the explanation on Twitter thus:

Do You know?

That power outages during storms are mostly a safety measure that in the event of a short circuit, broken branch or strong winds felling poles, lives and property may be protected as there is significantly increased risk of harm where wires remain energized in a strong storm?

What do you think: a good thing or not?

Source: http://www.opinions.ng/electricity-cut-rainstorm-nigeria-ikedc/

Useless people, the rain fell yesterday afternoon in ketu and they cut the power. It lasted less than an hour yet today as of 2pm 24 hours later they are yet to restore the power. USELESS PEOPLE.
Re: Why Electricity Is Cut When There Is A Rainstorm In Nigeria - IKEDC by ben1daEbiri(m): 2:23pm On May 13, 2018
neyop85:
This action can only be justified if they restore power immediately after the storm. But no, Naija NEPA uses the storm as an excuse to hold power indefinitely.
After the rain, they wait for the cables to dry first ���
Re: Why Electricity Is Cut When There Is A Rainstorm In Nigeria - IKEDC by gentleedu(m): 2:30pm On May 13, 2018
this is bullshit.. here in Angola light doesn't go off even if the rain fall all day, silly excuse....
Re: Why Electricity Is Cut When There Is A Rainstorm In Nigeria - IKEDC by Mucheer(m): 2:45pm On May 13, 2018
It is a good thing, but they should restore it immediately after the rain.
Re: Why Electricity Is Cut When There Is A Rainstorm In Nigeria - IKEDC by salford1: 2:49pm On May 13, 2018
fergie001:

Some of those things are either not working or are inferior or have been sold(yes) ,and even the poles....some are almost broken..who even uses wooden,concrete or overhead poles now sef,or even the tx?...SCADA,etc.
In Canada and the US, wooden poles are still used alot. I mean alot. Most of these poles are also from the 1950-60's lol.
I think it has to do with the failing protection systems like you mentioned and leaning/rotten poles not stubbed or replaced.
Re: Why Electricity Is Cut When There Is A Rainstorm In Nigeria - IKEDC by kokomilala(m): 2:51pm On May 13, 2018
The excuse is as lame as the lamedock that's the power sector today.When people are set in their ways,they don't progress,they become defensive all the time. And they always put foward curious points to defend their actions.
Re: Why Electricity Is Cut When There Is A Rainstorm In Nigeria - IKEDC by Reelectbuhari: 3:05pm On May 13, 2018
Delivar:

You think Biafra will solve these problems too? You must be day dreaming. As long as Biafrans are still blacks don't expect anything different.

lame theory
Re: Why Electricity Is Cut When There Is A Rainstorm In Nigeria - IKEDC by wingmanII: 3:11pm On May 13, 2018
If only their is a proper and strong Quality control to monitor the concrete and wooden poles used by Nepa, they won't be snapping like dry twigs.
Corruption will not allow Nigeria to grow.
Re: Why Electricity Is Cut When There Is A Rainstorm In Nigeria - IKEDC by mu2sa2: 3:12pm On May 13, 2018
Reelectbuhari:
mtcheew

biafra why the delay

why?
why??
The delay is because the president to-be cowardly ran away never to return.
Re: Why Electricity Is Cut When There Is A Rainstorm In Nigeria - IKEDC by Reelectbuhari: 3:26pm On May 13, 2018
mu2sa2:
The delay is because the president to-be cowardly ran away never to return.

hausa fulani terrorist spotted...
Re: Why Electricity Is Cut When There Is A Rainstorm In Nigeria - IKEDC by Shonhairtaipei(m): 3:28pm On May 13, 2018
Typhoon tht is more stronger than rain storm happens in taiwan regularly,and there hv never been any power cut.
Re: Why Electricity Is Cut When There Is A Rainstorm In Nigeria - IKEDC by Surdking(m): 3:38pm On May 13, 2018
Why other countries don't do that is because their wires ain't over head, they are underground. Nothing like poles. Only place I know there are underground electric wires in Nigeria is OAU. I spent 5 years there!!!
Re: Why Electricity Is Cut When There Is A Rainstorm In Nigeria - IKEDC by salford1: 3:39pm On May 13, 2018
wingmanII:
If only their is a proper and strong Quality control to monitor the concrete and wooden poles used by Nepa, they won't be snapping like dry twigs.
Corruption will not allow Nigeria to grow.
When those poles are installed in Nigeria. Nobody looks back to check it's condition years after years. Zero maintenance culture.
Re: Why Electricity Is Cut When There Is A Rainstorm In Nigeria - IKEDC by dominion001(m): 3:54pm On May 13, 2018
The question is why are you still using overhead poles that is spoiling the beauty of cities everywhere. In sane countries every connection is done underground, u don't see poles everywhere but lights everywhere.
Re: Why Electricity Is Cut When There Is A Rainstorm In Nigeria - IKEDC by dominion001(m): 3:57pm On May 13, 2018
The question is why are you still using overhead poles in 21st century, that is spoiling the beauty of cities everywhere. In sane countries every connection is done underground, u don't see poles everywhere but lights everywhere.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Peter Obi's Supporters Mount Huge Campaign Billboard In Sokoto State (Video) / Ambode Hands Over To Sanwo-olu (Photo) / Protest Erupts In Katsina Over Kidnap Of School Children

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.