Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,303 members, 7,957,768 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 07:42 PM

Please Stop Self Medication, See serious Side Effects - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Please Stop Self Medication, See serious Side Effects (25871 Views)

What Self-medication Did To A UNIPORT Graduate / Abraham Okodugha: Self Medication Affects UNIPORT Graduate (Graphic Photos) / 6 Side Effects Of Eating Too Much Salt (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Please Stop Self Medication, See serious Side Effects by Nobody: 4:19pm On May 13, 2018
nifesi01:

What you don't get there is that it won't come in a day, it accumulates gradually unnoticed

They are the ones that disturb you doctors with emergencies at night grin
Re: Please Stop Self Medication, See serious Side Effects by Nobody: 4:27pm On May 13, 2018
A major problem is that when people buy these drugs, they hardly go through the leaflets that come with them in order to know the contraindications, side effects etc. And these are very important when it comes to taking drugs. There are some ailments that will not be detected unless one sees a qualified physician and many drugs are contraindicated in certain ailments. I will not dispute the fact that many at times when people self medicate, it works but those few times when the drugs cause problems are important. When the situation becomes a matter of life and death, the money will come out from wherever it is and by then, it might be too late.
Re: Please Stop Self Medication, See serious Side Effects by Wembanet: 5:04pm On May 13, 2018
Apart from regular pharmaceutical drugs, The rate at which unothordox compositions like agbo, yoyo bitters and other numerous bitters currently on sale out there are being abused is phonemenal. Little wonder why cases of organ failure is on the rise......"ogbeye ji aka ya egbu onwe ya'
Re: Please Stop Self Medication, See serious Side Effects by kumalee: 5:06pm On May 13, 2018
vincentjk:
Noted

Today, my ex girlfriend sent me a video of herself and her boyfriend having sex so dat it can hurt me....
I immediately forwarded the video to her father....
Av been relaxing since den..... grin grin grin
Bad guy with nice Idea
Re: Please Stop Self Medication, See serious Side Effects by kumalee: 5:07pm On May 13, 2018
presentley:
What I don't understand is why healthcare practitioners classify going to a qualified pharmacist for prescription as self medication. So I have cough and cattarh now I should go to the hospital and get charged additional bill as consultation? Nehi
The rate at wish hospital they charge ehhhhh

1 Like

Re: Please Stop Self Medication, See serious Side Effects by roqrules04(m): 5:10pm On May 13, 2018
Is there an overdose of Agbo jedi or Agbo iba
Re: Please Stop Self Medication, See serious Side Effects by Nobody: 5:14pm On May 13, 2018
carpmam:
Almost all the Hausa aboki's self medicate, from codeine to tramadol, lizard poo, and rofnol.
Ipob terrorist seen!
Re: Please Stop Self Medication, See serious Side Effects by Intelcorei7: 5:23pm On May 13, 2018
Na today ? how people no go self medicate when after you consult a doctor who charge you for a big amount of money only for him/her to take excuse from you, go into private room,open his/her computer or phone to start dey look for solution to your problem on google
Re: Please Stop Self Medication, See serious Side Effects by Sardauna24(m): 5:29pm On May 13, 2018
carpmam:
Almost all the Hausa aboki's self medicate, from codeine to tramadol, lizard poo, and rofnol.
Hate speech
Re: Please Stop Self Medication, See serious Side Effects by Hairyrapunzel: 6:18pm On May 13, 2018
Jman06:
Going to a Pharmacist for your cold and catarrh is not self medication. Pharmacists are trained enough to handle such ailments and make referrals to a physician if need be. The issue is, do you go to pharmacy to get the drugs or to a patent medicine store Again, when you go to a pharmacy, do you insist on seeing a pharmacist If you get your drugs from pharmacists in pharmacies, you would get expert prescriptions and counseling better than what you get when you go to some clinics, and that cannot be described as self medication.

Always insist on seeing a pharmacist when you go to buy drugs.

It is self medication. Catarrh and cough are symptoms to so many diseases. You target the specific disease not the symptoms. Continue bad practice.
It's only in Nigeria you say you make referrals to a physician because you wanna make money. A physician sees a patient and makes a diagnosis, writes out a treatment plan. If it involves getting drugs he will send them to the pharmacy. Stop quackery. That's how you will give people antibiotics for cough and catarrh at the end of the day they come down with pneumonia what would have been effectively dealt with if they have seen a physician.
Want to form physician when you don't know jack because you sell drugs.
Yes it is self medication when you go buy drugs on your own in pharmacies because a physician didn't check you and order you to buy any drug. Stop propagating falsehood.

3 Likes

Re: Please Stop Self Medication, See serious Side Effects by kolawoleibukun1: 6:22pm On May 13, 2018
how about the miracle petrol pastors give their members and holy water sold in TB joshua church. shouldn't nafdac also vet it?
Bidexgarl:

Self medication has to do with all forms of medication, whether harmful or harmless. Every drug can become harmful when taken inappropriately, even the said harmless drugs. An example is someone that has Peptic Ulcer disease who goes ahead to take Ibuprofen/Aspirin/Diclofenac for body pains and then starts passing out blood through the anus. The above drugs are over the counter medications but when taken inappropriately or by the wrong person, they can cause serious damage.
Re: Please Stop Self Medication, See serious Side Effects by bamasite(m): 6:32pm On May 13, 2018
The bad writing made me stop reading

2 Likes

Re: Please Stop Self Medication, See serious Side Effects by Angelfrost(m): 6:33pm On May 13, 2018
Hairyrapunzel:

It is self medication. Catarrh and cough are symptoms to so many diseases. You target the specific disease not the symptoms. Continue bad practice.
It's only in Nigeria you say you make referrals to a physician because you wanna make money. A physician sees a patient and makes a diagnosis, writes out a treatment plan. If it involves getting drugs he will send them to the pharmacy. Stop quackery. That's how you will give people antibiotics for cough and catarrh at the end of the day they come down with pneumonia what would have been effectively dealt with if they have seen a physician.
Yes it is self medication when you go buy drugs on your own in pharmacies because a physician didn't check you and order you to buy any drug. Stop propagating falsehood.

I agree with you in parts. But, what you fail to understand or accept is that medical care is not readily available to over 80% of Nigerians, and Africans as a whole. Can you imagine the number of hours people queue in hospitals just to see physicians? Is that remotely normal?
If not for the efforts of well-trained pharmacists at community level, most sick people would die on a mind-blowing level daily... You guys should agitate for better, more affordable and accessible healthcare, cos if this were available pharmacists won't have become the first point of call for most treatments.
Re: Please Stop Self Medication, See serious Side Effects by Angelfrost(m): 6:40pm On May 13, 2018
Bidexgarl:
A major problem is that when people buy these drugs, they hardly go through the leaflets that come with them in order to know the contraindications, side effects etc. And these are very important when it comes to taking drugs. There are some ailments that will not be detected unless one sees a qualified physician and many drugs are contraindicated in certain ailments. I will not dispute the fact that many at times when people self medicate, it works but those few times when the drugs cause problems are important. When the situation becomes a matter of life and death, the money will come out from wherever it is and by then, it might be too late.

Most Physicians know next to nothing about contra-indications, drug interactions, etc. That's why in addition to establishing and increasing the number of available physicians, efforts must be made to ensure there are more pharmacists on ground to educate on drug use, and correct prescription errors. Investigative processes must be up to date, and affordable by equally empowering our Lab scientists... In short, we have a very long way to go.

1 Like

Re: Please Stop Self Medication, See serious Side Effects by Nobody: 6:43pm On May 13, 2018
kolawoleibukun1:
how about the miracle petrol pastors give their members and holy water sold in TB joshua church. shouldn't nafdac also vet it?
I believe u checked the topic of this discussion but did not understand it before posting. It's about self-medication, not NAFDAC certification. A drug being certified OK by NAFDAC doesn't mean it can be taken without being prescribed by a qualified medical personnel. The people that go ahead and take the petrol, holy water, herbal concoctions etc are doing so at their own risk.
Re: Please Stop Self Medication, See serious Side Effects by Yonce(f): 6:45pm On May 13, 2018
Jman06:
Going to a Pharmacist for your cold and catarrh is not self medication. Pharmacists are trained enough to handle such ailments and make referrals to a physician if need be. The issue is, do you go to pharmacy to get the drugs or to a patent medicine store Again, when you go to a pharmacy, do you insist on seeing a pharmacist If you get your drugs from pharmacists in pharmacies, you would get expert prescriptions and counseling better than what you get when you go to some clinics, and that cannot be described as self medication.

Always insist on seeing a pharmacist when you go to buy drugs.

Pharmacists aren't trained to handle ailments or make referrals to doctors.

If Individual A has cough and catarrh, that preson is supposed to go to a hospital where he's asked questions about the onset, character, duration of symptoms, physically examined, tests are carried out to find out if the cause of the symptom is viral, bacterial, fungal or is as a result of another primary illness.
The test results also tell you the drugs that the causative organism is sensitive to so you don't even prescribe wrongly or blindly as a doctor.

Not trying to start a war but pharmacists don't treat ailments.

And sometimes, it's not all infections you even treat. Some turn out to be self-limiting i.e the body's immunity can handle them without external influences.

1 Like

Re: Please Stop Self Medication, See serious Side Effects by Hairyrapunzel: 6:45pm On May 13, 2018
Angelfrost:

I agree with you in parts. But, what you fail to understand or accept is that medical care is not readily available to over 80% of Nigerians, and Africans as a whole. Can you imagine the number of hours people queue in hospitals just to see physicians? Is that remotely normal?
If not for the efforts of well-trained pharmacists at community level, most sick people would die on a mind-blowing level daily... You guys should agitate for better, more affordable and accessible healthcare, cos if this were available pharmacists won't have become the first point of call for most treatments.

It still doesn't justify your false claim that going to pharmacies to buy drugs not prescribed by a doctor isn't self medicating.
Nigerian Pharmacists have caused the deaths of so many Nigerians even fetuses by doing the wrong thing. You know how many people have died from self medicating?
You treat symptoms and think you are doing something great whereas you are killing the person. Teach people the right thing. Nigerians are ignorant about who to go to.

See your explanation as to why doing the wrong thing is normal to you.
And yes a pharmacist selling unprescribed drugs to people who meet them for these drugs is self medicating.
Re: Please Stop Self Medication, See serious Side Effects by Nobody: 6:50pm On May 13, 2018
Angelfrost:

Most Physicians know next to nothing about contra-indications, drug interactions, etc. That's why in addition to establishing and increasing the number of available physicians, efforts must be made to ensure there are more pharmacists on ground to educate on drug use, and correct prescription errors. Investigative processes must be up to date, and affordable by equally empowering our Lab scientists... In short, we have a very long way to go.
Your first statement is absolutely false. You have only met a few physicians, so u can't judge based on that. Every physician should know when or not to prescribe particular drugs based on their contraindications and side effects. The truth is that it is easy to judge people when u are not in their shoes even when there is no justification.
The point of this whole thing is that "he who self-medicates does so at his own peril". I have seen a lot of cases of self medication gone wrong; even life-threatening ones. And in most cases, it is blamed on the usual "no money" or "The doctor will still prescribe the same thing". There are different fields of study and everyone is expected to be an expert in his own. It will be very wrong to try to do someone else's job especially when it has to do with lives.
Re: Please Stop Self Medication, See serious Side Effects by 6inches: 6:53pm On May 13, 2018
Hairyrapunzel:

It still doesn't justify your false claim that going to pharmacies to buy drugs not prescribed by a doctor isn't self medicating.
Nigerian Pharmacists have caused the deaths of so many Nigerians even fetuses by doing the wrong thing. You know how many people have died from self medicating?
You treat symptoms and think you are doing something great whereas you are killing the person. Teach people the right thing. Nigerians are ignorant about who to go to.

And yes a pharmacist selling unprescribed drugs to people who meet them for these drugs is self medicating.
youve just been blaabing on almost all the threads about pharmacist, are you pained that some pharmacist earn more than your so called consultants, I have seen cases where some doctors can't perform simple appendectomy and your are here saying pharmacist have killed more people in Nigeria.next time when I see a wrong prescriptions by a doctor I will contact the necessary authority and sue the ass of that doctor.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please Stop Self Medication, See serious Side Effects by Angelfrost(m): 6:54pm On May 13, 2018
Hairyrapunzel:

First off, work on thy comprehension skills, and learn to be civil. You don't just accuse people of falsehood, on what basis? What part is false? You should do proper research before attacking enlightened, and well-researched comments. Did you miss the part where I said I agreed with you? What is the current state of healthcare delivery in state capitals across the country, not to speak of rural areas??! Do you think all hospitals are well equipped with standard investigative equipment? Do you know what it means to tell a person having headaches, and fever to go to a hospital? Most will shake their head, and tell you they would rather go to church and pray... I do not support self medication, and I never said pharmacists should take the place of physicians. I merely called a spade what it truly is. Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Please Stop Self Medication, See serious Side Effects by kolawoleibukun1: 7:12pm On May 13, 2018
listen carefully if u no want me to drag u like trash just now. I understand clearly and 10x better than you. Do you really know the meaning of self-medication? You need to go to school before talking nonsense. When an issue is being deliberated, intelligent people bring up related points that are relatively connected to that issue. Do not tell me nonsense. this is a public forum and your thought is not mine. Sell you stupeed thought to nuisance and not me.
If someone takes holy water and does it at his own risk, the person self-medicating does it at his own risk. Is that not common sense? The drugs that you talk about are made from the same root resources. Pastors and herbalists who administer all these things do so because they believe that they are interacting with a patient be it spiritual or medical.
Allow others to have their say and do not think that you know anything better than anyone. Speak your mind and go your way. You are not more educated than me. You do not know better then me. I have my own mind and my own opinion. I do not want to be like you or reason like you. I am a lone-thinker and it works fine for me. Mark my name and never you repeat such silly words to me, ever again.

Bidexgarl:

I believe u checked the topic of this discussion but did not understand it before posting. It's about self-medication, not NAFDAC certification. A drug being certified OK by NAFDAC doesn't mean it can be taken without being prescribed by a qualified medical personnel. The people that go ahead and take the petrol, holy water, herbal concoctions etc are doing so at their own risk.
Re: Please Stop Self Medication, See serious Side Effects by Jman06(m): 7:19pm On May 13, 2018
Hairyrapunzel:

You will soon commit suicide from the way you are going over this issues. But in case you need a drug to facilitate the suicide, just send me a pm. I can help you with 10 tablets of digoxin.

Pharmacists are trained on the pathology of common ailments and so they can make diagnosis of those and recommend drugs appropriately. go and check the prospectus of any pharmacy school you know. Check what they study in clinical pharmacy from 400level to graduation. Some go as far as taking masters degree in public health.

They also work with medical laboratory scientists for better diagnosis.

Hey! my doctor friend, don't get yourself worked up! Study hard and specialize, we'll always refer patients to you when the need arises.

If you don't listen to the above advice, then come and get the digoxin and do the needful with it.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please Stop Self Medication, See serious Side Effects by Angelfrost(m): 7:23pm On May 13, 2018
Bidexgarl:

Your first statement is absolutely false. You have only met a few physicians, so u can't judge based on that. Every physician should know when or not to prescribe particular drugs based on their contraindications and side effects. The truth is that it is easy to judge people when u are not in their shoes even when there is no justification.
The point of this whole thing is that "he who self-medicates does so at his own peril". I have seen a lot of cases of self medication gone wrong; even life-threatening ones. And in most cases, it is blamed on the usual "no money" or "The doctor will still prescribe the same thing". There are different fields of study and everyone is expected to be an expert in his own. It will be very wrong to try to do someone else's job especially when it has to do with lives.

Absolutely false? Dear friend, please go and ask around. What is the professional job description of a physician? and what is that of a pharmacist? It's this belief that physicians are masters of all healthcare that continues to make us move backwards. From your assertions, a lay person would think pharmacists are not needed in healthcare delivery. How laughable!!! Self medication is totally wrong, and pharmacists are not prescribers. But, do you expect someone with headaches and mild body pains to go to the hospital, our hospitals, just to get analgesics?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please Stop Self Medication, See serious Side Effects by Abbeyciyy(m): 7:31pm On May 13, 2018
5 Tips for a Healthy Liver
Via
https:///vvS7Lj

Re: Please Stop Self Medication, See serious Side Effects by Angelfrost(m): 7:31pm On May 13, 2018
Jman06:
You will soon commit suicide from the way you are going over this issues. But in case you need a drug to facilitate the suicide, just send me a pm. I can help you with 10 tablets of digoxin.

Pharmacists are trained on the pathology of common ailments and so they can make diagnosis of those and recommend drugs appropriately. go and check the prospectus of any pharmacy school you know. Check what they study in clinical pharmacy from 400level to graduation. Some go as far as taking masters degree in public health.

Hey! my doctor friend, don't get yourself worked up! Study hard and specialize, we'll always refer patients to you when the need arises.

If you don't listen to the above advice, then come and get the digoxin and do the needful with it.

Their matter tire me o... Just be arguing back and forth! This is part of the reasons why they and JOHESU keep going at loggerheads. No professional courtesy, they just think they know it all. I don't blame them. This nation is just backwards. That's why a physician would make prescription errors, and be claiming right, or telling the pharmacist what brand of medication he should dispense. smh.

2 Likes

Re: Please Stop Self Medication, See serious Side Effects by Angelfrost(m): 7:32pm On May 13, 2018
[quote author=Jman06 post=67531912] You will soon commit suicide from the way you are going over this issues. But in case you need a drug to facilitate the suicide, just send me a pm. I can help you with 10 tablets of digoxin.

Their matter tire me o... Just be arguing back and forth! This is part of the reasons why they and JOHESU keep going at loggerheads. No professional courtesy, they just think they know it all. I don't blame them. This nation is just backwards. That's why a physician would make prescription errors, and be claiming right, or telling the pharmacist what brand of medication he should dispense. smh.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please Stop Self Medication, See serious Side Effects by Abbeyciyy(m): 7:41pm On May 13, 2018
5 Tips for a Healthy Liver

The liver is one of the most important organ in our body. It is estimated to have over 500 functions. Besides being a key player in the digestive system, it fights off infection, neutralizes and gets rid of toxins in the blood, regulates sex hormones and nutrient supply.

All you drink or eat, including medicine, is processed by it. This makes taking care of your liver essential to being healthy.

Taking care of your liver goes beyond avoiding alcohol, it is about having a having a healthy lifestyle that includes nutrients you drink or eat.

Keeping your liver healthy not only helps you prevent liver diseases, it also reduces your risk of developing heart diseases and diabetes.

Below are some tips to keep your liver healthy:
Read More Via
http://www.busygisting.com/2018/05/13/5-tips-for-a-healthy-liver/

Re: Please Stop Self Medication, See serious Side Effects by Nobody: 8:47pm On May 13, 2018
kolawoleibukun1:
listen carefully if u no want me to drag u like trash just now. I understand clearly and 10x better than you. Do you really know the meaning of self-medication? You need to go to school before talking nonsense. When an issue is being deliberated, intelligent people bring up related points that are relatively connected to that issue. Do not tell me nonsense. this is a public forum and your thought is not mine. Sell you stupeed thought to nuisance and not me.
If someone takes holy water and does it at his own risk, the person self-medicating does it at his own risk. Is that not common sense? The drugs that you talk about are made from the same root resources. Pastors and herbalists who administer all these things do so because they believe that they are interacting with a patient be it spiritual or medical.
Allow others to have their say and do not think that you know anything better than anyone. Speak your mind and go your way. You are not more educated than me. You do not know better then me. I have my own mind and my own opinion. I do not want to be like you or reason like you. I am a lone-thinker and it works fine for me. Mark my name and never you repeat such silly words to me, ever again. C

No one is fighting with you here and I can't see any vulgar words in my response to ur post. But like u said, we don't think alike.
Re: Please Stop Self Medication, See serious Side Effects by Nobody: 8:49pm On May 13, 2018
Angelfrost:

Absolutely false? Dear friend, please go and ask around. What is the professional job description of a physician? and what is that of a pharmacist? It's this belief that physicians are masters of all healthcare that continues to make us move backwards. From your assertions, a lay person would think pharmacists are not needed in healthcare delivery. How laughable!!! Self medication is totally wrong, and pharmacists are not prescribers. But, do you expect someone with headaches and mild body pains to go to the hospital, our hospitals, just to get analgesics?
We are all entitled to our opinions but the truth will always prevail.
Re: Please Stop Self Medication, See serious Side Effects by nifesi01(f): 9:14pm On May 13, 2018
presentley:

Not even they may not, they won't. So do you self medicate or not? Do you go visiting your physician each time you have a mild headache(not recurring headache)?

I don't use drugs on mild cases it's only when it's severe,i contact my physician before taking any drug and I use it as prescribed.... You know some people don't only self medicate but they use overdose
Re: Please Stop Self Medication, See serious Side Effects by nifesi01(f): 9:21pm On May 13, 2018
greyham:

They are the ones that disturb you doctors with emergencies at night grin

I'm telling you and they will want the complications to go immediately they get to hospital
Re: Please Stop Self Medication, See serious Side Effects by kolawoleibukun1: 9:24pm On May 13, 2018
I do not want to think like you. I am perfectly me here. I did not come here to waste my time thinking like the average Nigerian. the average Nigerian is tone-deaf. I love to be the outcast.
for many years I shared the average mentality to no gain. Now, I am free and I am here to share that freedom to the people who appreciate and like my comment. For those who believe that I should conform I get vulgar cos that is the only language that the average Nigerian understands, violence and aggression. I no get shame at all.
Bidexgarl:

No one is fighting with you here and I can't see any vulgar words in my response to ur post. But like u said, we don't think alike.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Coronavirus: Algeria, Morocco, Other Countries Evacuate Citizens From China / 2-Year-Old Indian Conjoined Twin Boys (Photos) / Handle Antibiotics With Care

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.