Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,345 members, 7,819,222 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:56 PM

Why Is Polygamy Being Discouraged And Hypergamy Isn't Discouraged? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Why Is Polygamy Being Discouraged And Hypergamy Isn't Discouraged? (2959 Views)

Women And Hypergamy / Is Polygamy Really Against Christain Laws? / Hypergamy: Women Don't Date Down Financially And In Lifestyle(facts) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is Polygamy Being Discouraged And Hypergamy Isn't Discouraged? by Nobody: 6:38pm On May 15, 2018
Focus:
Time: 06:40

Ubunja
Miseducations
Safiaa
Ladyhippolyta88
Lalas247
Greiboy
Lefulefu
IamAirforce1
LifeofAirforce
Highqueen
Ruthdaniels

WHAT IS HYPERGAMY?
Hypergamy is when ladies get married to men who're socially higher than them or men in the same social class with them. In terms of influence and wealth.
Many women are hypergamous in nature.

Men aren't exempt from Hypergamy.
When men get married to ladies in the same social class with them it is called Hypergamy.

There's also hypogamy.

WHAT IS HYPOGAMY?
Hypogamy is the opposite of Hypergamy.
In Hypergamy , influential or wealthy women marry men of lower status.

WHY DOES THE SOCIETY FROWN AGAINST POLYGAMY AND DOESN'T FROWN AGAINST HYPERGAMY?

Men are polygamous in nature same way women have argued that women are hypergamous in nature.

In most western countries polygamy is a criminal offence but Hypergamy isn't a criminal offense anywhere.
why is that?

Though with the advent of feminism those things are already changing .

to my special focus romance landers;

If women can be allowed to practice hypergamy why are some people especially women against polygamy?
Re: Why Is Polygamy Being Discouraged And Hypergamy Isn't Discouraged? by NwaAmaikpe: 6:41pm On May 15, 2018
shocked

Nice topic.

Hypergamy can not be criticized because it is only natural for a woman to aspire to be hitched with someone higher than her financially because a woman's life revolves around what she can get from a man.

Naturally, women are receptors, nature has created and defined them to be at the receiving end of what the man doles out.
The biblical record of the female creation shows women are an attachment; an extension of the original....even their anatomy confirms this analogy.

They love to collect,
A woman wants you to give her everything and all she gives in return is sex, demands and trouble.

10 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Is Polygamy Being Discouraged And Hypergamy Isn't Discouraged? by AlexCk: 6:48pm On May 15, 2018
Maybe because polygamy is literally 'double wahala', and the other two are just societal status, which really shouldn't matter, as long as both parties are faithful to each other.

"Men are polygamous in nature" should apply to men that lack self-control biko.

People are capable of doing 'evil things', but 'common sense' is what makes us unique.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Polygamy Being Discouraged And Hypergamy Isn't Discouraged? by CAPSLOCKED: 6:51pm On May 15, 2018
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

Nice topic.

Hypergamy can not be criticized because it is only natural for a woman to aspire to be hitched with someone higher than her financially because a woman's life revolves around what she can get from a man.

Naturally, women are receptors, nature has created and defined them to be at the receiving end of what the man doles out.
The biblical record of the female creation shows women are an attachment; an extension of the original....even their anatomy confirms this analogy.

They love to collect,
A woman wants you to give her everything and all she gives in return is sex, demands and trouble.

MISSCAPS, IS AN EXCEPTION.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Polygamy Being Discouraged And Hypergamy Isn't Discouraged? by Nobody: 6:56pm On May 15, 2018
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

Nice topic.

They love to collect,
A woman wants you to give her everything and all she gives in return is sex, demands and trouble

hmmm.
your mean their lives revolve around men thus they can't stand on their own without men.

and your last line.. true to some extent..
Re: Why Is Polygamy Being Discouraged And Hypergamy Isn't Discouraged? by Nobody: 6:57pm On May 15, 2018
CAPSLOCKED:

MISSCAPS, IS AN EXCEPTION.

are you a lady? undecided
Re: Why Is Polygamy Being Discouraged And Hypergamy Isn't Discouraged? by Nobody: 8:03pm On May 15, 2018
AlexCk:
Maybe because polygamy is literally 'double wahala', and the other two are just societal status, which really shouldn't matter, as long as both parties are faithful to each other.

[s]"Men are polygamous in nature" should apply to men that lack self-control biko.[/s]

People are capable of doing 'evil things', but 'common sense' is what makes us unique.

you're not serious...

women are hypergamous in nature, same way men are polygamous in nature.

Polygamy shouldn't offend anybody just as Hypergamy isn't offending anybody.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Polygamy Being Discouraged And Hypergamy Isn't Discouraged? by Nobody: 10:28am On May 16, 2018
Greiboy do you have anything to say?
Re: Why Is Polygamy Being Discouraged And Hypergamy Isn't Discouraged? by Nobody: 10:47am On May 16, 2018
Elder001:
Greiboy do you have anything to say?
it is a tricky subject that requires deep thoughts

Polygamy is about having more than one wife or husband at the same time. it requires sharing love and romantic experience with others. it affects others that might not have requested for such experience e.g. the children

Therefore, the major reason why polygamy is discouraged in western and most developed societies asides the Islamic world is because of the adverse effect on the children's welfare. I.e. the finance it will take to take care of the innocent children, the affection might not be adequate for the upbringing of the children, one only has to look at situation in northern Nigeria to understand their fears

Otherwise every other thing might be overlooked.

The religious Christians also have argument against it in the bible, They claim it is against the preaching of God by quoting a passage in the Bible to backup their claims. And religious Christians have a huge say in the constitutions of some Western countries like America

On the other hand, HYPERGAMY doesn't necessarily have impact on others, unlike polygamy. So there is very little case any activist or social crusader can present against it, besides moral suasion and hoping people (ladies) actually listen.

It affect mainly the seekers of such experience either positively or negatively. In addition, just like polygamy it is not entirely gender specific but it is rare amongst men because of issues such the male ego etc.

3 Likes

Re: Why Is Polygamy Being Discouraged And Hypergamy Isn't Discouraged? by tobechi74: 10:51am On May 16, 2018
it is not a crime for one to aum higher
Re: Why Is Polygamy Being Discouraged And Hypergamy Isn't Discouraged? by Nobody: 10:59am On May 16, 2018
greiboy:
it is a tricky subject that requires deep thoughts

Polygamy is about having more than one wife or husband at the same time. it requires sharing love and romantic experience with others. it affects others that might not have requested for such experience e.g. the children

Therefore, the major reason why polygamy is discouraged in western and most developed societies asides the Islamic world is because of the adverse effect on the children's welfare. I.e. the finance it will take to take care of the innocent children, the affection might not be adequate for the upbringing of the children, one only has to look at situation in northern Nigeria to understand their fears

Otherwise every other thing might be overlooked.

The religious Christians also have argument against it in the bible, They claim it is against the preaching of God by quoting a passage in the Bible to backup their claims. And religious Christians have a huge say in the constitutions of some Western countries like America

On the other hand, HYPERGAMY doesn't necessarily have impact on others, unlike polygamy. So there is very little case any activist or social crusader can present against it, besides moral suasion and hoping people (ladies) actually listen.

It affect mainly the seekers of such experience either positively or negatively. In addition, just like hypergamy it is not entirely gender specific but it is rare amongst men because of issues such the male ego etc.

what if the man has enough finance to take care of the children?
Re: Why Is Polygamy Being Discouraged And Hypergamy Isn't Discouraged? by Nobody: 11:05am On May 16, 2018
Elder001:

what if the man has enough finance to take care of the children?
Well if the women in question are willing to be second wives in that situation, I think no one can stop them.

But the western popular culture, coupled with the more favorable financial situation of most western countries might work against men interested in polygamy.

poverty is one of the major reasons why women go into such relationships in Africa.

Yes one can be in a HYPOGAmy and polygamous relationship at the same time
Re: Why Is Polygamy Being Discouraged And Hypergamy Isn't Discouraged? by Nobody: 11:57am On May 16, 2018
greiboy:
Well if the women in question are willing to be second wives in that situation, I think no one can stop them.

But the western popular culture, coupled with the more favorable financial situation of most western countries might work against men interested in polygamy.

poverty is one of the major reasons why women go into such relationships in Africa.

Yes one can be in a HYPOGAmy and polygamous relationship at the same time

The woman has no right to tell the man to be monogamous.. that's a man's choice.

As long as the man is comfortable with it then nobody should be against it.
Re: Why Is Polygamy Being Discouraged And Hypergamy Isn't Discouraged? by Twoclans(f): 4:16am On May 19, 2018
Hi

1 Like

Re: Why Is Polygamy Being Discouraged And Hypergamy Isn't Discouraged? by Twoclans(f): 4:17am On May 19, 2018
Elder001:

The woman has no right to tell the man to be monogamous.. that's a man's choice.

As long as the man is comfortable with it then nobody should be against it.

Hello bills

1 Like

Re: Why Is Polygamy Being Discouraged And Hypergamy Isn't Discouraged? by Nobody: 5:12am On May 19, 2018
Twoclans:

Hello bills

Good morning boo

I've been downloading videos
Re: Why Is Polygamy Being Discouraged And Hypergamy Isn't Discouraged? by Twoclans(f): 7:32am On May 19, 2018
Elder001:

Good morning boo

I've been downloading videos

Music videos? Its seems your love good music .

How are you?

1 Like

Re: Why Is Polygamy Being Discouraged And Hypergamy Isn't Discouraged? by Alejoc(m): 7:41am On May 19, 2018
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

Nice topic.

They love to collect,

Lmao

My response to op question is that cos it doesn't violate the laid down rules or law on marriage in such jurisdiction!
Re: Why Is Polygamy Being Discouraged And Hypergamy Isn't Discouraged? by Nobody: 11:38pm On May 19, 2018
Twoclans:

Music videos? Its seems your love good music .

How are you?

American videos

The tourist, Pacific rim, Pirates; stagnettis revenge, Avengers; infinity war and wonder woman.

my day was fine and yours?

1 Like

Re: Why Is Polygamy Being Discouraged And Hypergamy Isn't Discouraged? by Twoclans(f): 11:54pm On May 19, 2018
Elder001:

American videos

The tourist, Pacific rim, Pirates; stagnettis revenge, Avengers; infinity war and wonder woman.

my day was fine and yours?

My day was fine,I am in bed already .
This one you came online by this time,I Gus's you had a busy day.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Polygamy Being Discouraged And Hypergamy Isn't Discouraged? by Nobody: 11:58pm On May 19, 2018
Twoclans:

My day was fine,I am in bed already .
This one you came online by this time,I Gus's you had a busy dat.

Not really busy... I'm downloading some videos ,when I'm done I'll sleep early.
I've important things to attend to as from next week. I don't even know if I'll be online till next month.
Re: Why Is Polygamy Being Discouraged And Hypergamy Isn't Discouraged? by Twoclans(f): 12:00am On May 20, 2018
Elder001:

Not really busy... I'm downloading some videos ,when I'm done I'll sleep early.
I've important things to attend to as from next week. I don't even know if I'll be online till next month.

That is fine,is next month your wedding or is it work related ?

1 Like

Re: Why Is Polygamy Being Discouraged And Hypergamy Isn't Discouraged? by Nobody: 12:01am On May 20, 2018
Twoclans:

That is fine,is next month your wedding or is it work related ?

...Work

aren't you sleeping yet?
Re: Why Is Polygamy Being Discouraged And Hypergamy Isn't Discouraged? by Twoclans(f): 12:03am On May 20, 2018
Elder001:

...Work

aren't you sleeping yet?

About to,just wanted to respond to your mention .

1 Like

Re: Why Is Polygamy Being Discouraged And Hypergamy Isn't Discouraged? by Nobody: 12:16am On May 20, 2018
Twoclans:

About to,just wanted to respond to your mention .

what do you think when you view your dp?
Re: Why Is Polygamy Being Discouraged And Hypergamy Isn't Discouraged? by Kobicove(m): 2:25am On May 20, 2018
I doubt if there's anything that can be done to limit hypergamy...
Re: Why Is Polygamy Being Discouraged And Hypergamy Isn't Discouraged? by Nobody: 3:58am On May 20, 2018
Polygamy is not frowned in Nigeria. There are men who still engage in it even till today. yea its frowned in the west but even in the same west.. A man could divorce if he gets tired of the wife and marry another. If i am right.. Donald Trump has been divorced twice and he's married to his third wife..so i don't know how we would call such a relationshipcheesy. Seems to me like a polygamous marriage of sortscheesy.
Re: Why Is Polygamy Being Discouraged And Hypergamy Isn't Discouraged? by Nobody: 6:12am On May 20, 2018
Someone just took the pill and can't seem to shut up about it.
It goes beyond throwing around fancy words and acronyms you know, it's a way of life. But it ain't in you though, you failed to internalize it hence why you're here faking.

Why is this, fight this, do this...pfft.
Re: Why Is Polygamy Being Discouraged And Hypergamy Isn't Discouraged? by UDUJ(m): 7:50am On May 20, 2018
None of us are as “liberated” and “enlightened” as we might think. In unrealized sexual encounters, it’s usually the woman who says no. Women being much pickier than men is hardwired into the feminine psyche. Why? Because a sexual encounter for men can potentially be nothing more than a few minutes of pleasure.

For women—at least prior to birth control and easy abortion—a sexual encounter can potentially be very costly. It can lead to nine months of pregnancy, nursing, followed by total care for a child until at least age eighteen. And since women tend to be physically weaker than men, unprotected women tend to be easy prey for unscrupulous men.

So, women are hypergamous in ways men tend not to be. A woman’s deepest instincts tell her to look for a man who can and will not only provide for their children, but who can protect his family.

Bottom line: The world is the oyster of older men who are wealthy, powerful, and charismatic. Similarly, the world is the oyster of younger women who are attractive, attractive, and attractive.

4 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why Is Polygamy Being Discouraged And Hypergamy Isn't Discouraged? by Nobody: 9:01am On May 20, 2018
UDUJ:
None of us are as “liberated” and “enlightened” as we might think. In unrealized sexual encounters, it’s usually the woman who says no. Women being much pickier than men is hardwired into the feminine psyche. Why? Because a sexual encounter for men can potentially be nothing more than a few minutes of pleasure.

For women—at least prior to birth control and easy abortion—a sexual encounter can potentially be very costly. It can lead to nine months of pregnancy, nursing, followed by total care for a child until at least age eighteen. And since women tend to be physically weaker than men, unprotected women tend to be easy prey for unscrupulous men.

So, women are hypergamous in ways men tend not to be. A woman’s deepest instincts tell her to look for a man who can and will not only provide for their children, but who can protect his family.

Bottom line: The world is the oyster of older men who are wealthy, powerful, and charismatic. Similarly, the world is the oyster of younger women who are attractive, attractive, and attractive.

You didn't talk about the main topic .

Why are people especially women against polygamy when nobody is against hypergamy?

Men are polygamous by nature and you should also know that hypergamy isn't limited to one gender.
Re: Why Is Polygamy Being Discouraged And Hypergamy Isn't Discouraged? by Nobody: 9:02am On May 20, 2018
lefulefu:
Polygamy is not frowned in Nigeria. There are men who still engage in it even till today. yea its frowned in the west but even in the same west.. A man could divorce if he gets tired of the wife and marry another. If i am right.. Donald Trump has been divorced twice and he's married to his third wife..so i don't know how we would call such a relationshipcheesy. Seems to me like a polygamous marriage of sortscheesy.

Lol

1 Like

Re: Why Is Polygamy Being Discouraged And Hypergamy Isn't Discouraged? by UDUJ(m): 9:43am On May 20, 2018
Hanseel1:

You didn't talk about the main topic .

Why are people especially women against polygamy when nobody is against hypergamy?

Men are polygamous by nature and you should also know that hypergamy isn't limited to one gender.

Men’s instincts tend toward polygamy, women’s toward hypergamy. Hypergamy, for those who don’t know, is women’s congenital inclination to continually trade up in men. The word has Greek origins (hyper meaning ‘above’ and gamos meaning ‘marriage’) and originally referred to women’s tendency to “marry up”, but applies equally to non-matrimonial relationships.

Whereas all men have a natural urge to copulate with a great variety of fertile women (because, in our evolutionary history, such behavior improved our chances of gene proliferation), women have a corresponding biological drive to have relations with the highest quality man they possible can (for the same reason) and to gain exclusive commitment from that man.

Briefly put, men want a lot of women, women want one really great guy.

Men and women’s respective sexual interests are therefore perpetually at odds, and the competition is zero sum in nature; for one sexual strategy to succeed, the other must be thwarted. If women are to fulfill their reproductive goal of getting exclusive commitment from a man, the man cannot simultaneously fulfill his reproductive objective of impregnating a harem and vice versa.

Which of the two strategies prevails has varied throughout history. During certain periods and in certain areas, men were free to indulge their polygamous nature, as indeed they still are in certain contemporary societies.

In the current industrialized world, however, female reproductive interests benefit the most. Polygamy is frowned upon and monogamy is strongly encouraged, while hypergamy is not discouraged.

Women are thus at liberty to fulfill their natural biological imperatives at the expense of men.

The truth is a man wanting to marry multiple women has been on for ages but is presently been frowned upon as being uncivilized. At the same time a woman wanting to look up her class for a potential mate is kind of accepted in various societies and sadly no laws can stop this.

I believe that sums up your question in a literal sense.

2 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (Reply)

How True Is This Argument / I Need A Girl Friend, Am A Keke Driver / Seyi Goes Speechless As Venita Surprised Him With A Sweet Kiss Behind Tacha

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.