Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,839 members, 7,810,226 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:55 AM

American "Squatting" Lawmakers: Lessons For Nigerians. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / American "Squatting" Lawmakers: Lessons For Nigerians. (976 Views)

Lawmakers Secretly Gathering Signatures To Impeach Buhari - Kazaure / Bauchi Lawmakers Outfits To A Beach In Dubai. Photos / Obasanjo’s ADC Reveals Content Of Invitation Letters To Govs, Lawmakers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

American "Squatting" Lawmakers: Lessons For Nigerians. by Jerrypolo(m): 8:49am On May 17, 2018
Dan Donovan, a US congressman passes the night in his office because he can’t afford accommodation in Washington DC. Donovan is not alone, many of his colleagues also do this because of the lack of resources.
According to Donovan, If we go to the point where you have to rent or have a house in Washington DC, then only millionaires would be members of Congress. I don’t think that was the intent of our founding fathers.
Kristi Noem, Lynn Jenkins and Jaime Herrera Beutler are all female lawmakers but they are known to sleep in their offices. Decrying poverty amid decade-long stagnant salaries and Washington’s steep cost of living, an increasing number of lawmakers have turned into professional squatters at night.
According to a report by New York Post, out of the 435 representatives in the US, an estimate of around 100 members, including Paul Ryan, house speaker and Kevin McCarthy, majority leader, have turned into professional squatters at night in their offices while they shower at the congress gym.
Tim Walz, a member of the house of reps said, “I’m not complaining. It’s just figuring how to make all your finances work.”
Lee Zeldin said sleeping on a bed he stores in his office closet makes him more efficient but Adriano Espaillat said couch-crashing isn’t for him, even though he, too, faces a high cost of living back home in New York City.
“My couch is too hard. I’d wake up with a stiff neck every morning. I’m probably one of the poorest members of Congress,” Espaillat said.
The lawmaker from Buffalo said he used to split the rent for a basement apartment, paying $1,200 a month, but resorted to sleeping on a couch in his office when the college bills for his two kids began piling up.
Meanwhile, their Nigerian colleagues have multiple mansions in different parts of the world and don’t be surprised, if Washington D.C is on that list. Recently, Shehu Sani, lawmaker representing Kaduna central senatorial district, disclosed that he and his colleagues receive N13.5 million monthly as running cost.

Source; http://www.informationng.com/2018/05/meet-the-us-lawmakers-who-sleep-in-their-offices-because-they-cant-afford-rent-but-their-nigerian-colleagues-live-as-kings.html/amp

1 Like

Re: American "Squatting" Lawmakers: Lessons For Nigerians. by MicheyJ1: 8:56am On May 17, 2018
Sometimes it's as if Africa is 100% different from the western world.

2 Likes

Re: American "Squatting" Lawmakers: Lessons For Nigerians. by rayopt(m): 9:26am On May 17, 2018
Goan tell Dino!
Re: American "Squatting" Lawmakers: Lessons For Nigerians. by AllHailBiafra(m): 11:42am On May 17, 2018
To me this story doesn't add up, how does it make sense to say that not just any lawmaker but an American lawmaker does not have an accommodation. Where have he been accommodated before he became a lawmaker? What will happen if the America Government decides to provide accommodations for them?

In fact.......

Re: American "Squatting" Lawmakers: Lessons For Nigerians. by 9jatriot(m): 11:52am On May 17, 2018
I cannot verify the story but if you remember that these law makers come from various states, a lot of which are very far Washington DC, then you will not be surprise that they are unable to afford having an extra house in the capital city.
But then, the story is still hard to accept
AllHailBiafra:
To me this story doesn't add up, how does it make sense to say that not just any lawmaker but an American lawmaker does not have an accommodation. Where have he been accommodated before he became a lawmaker? What will happen if the America Government decides to provide accommodations for them?

In fact.......
Re: American "Squatting" Lawmakers: Lessons For Nigerians. by AllHailBiafra(m): 3:40pm On May 17, 2018
9jatriot:
I cannot verify the story but if you remember that these law makers come from various states, a lot of which are very far Washington DC, then you will not be surprise that they are unable to afford having an extra house in the capital city.
But then, the story is still hard to accept
Can anyone answer my second question, what will happen if the American Government provide accommodation for them?
Re: American "Squatting" Lawmakers: Lessons For Nigerians. by Mkmoney(m): 3:46pm On May 17, 2018
Don't believe every word a white man tells you
Re: American "Squatting" Lawmakers: Lessons For Nigerians. by 9jatriot(m): 3:49pm On May 17, 2018
From whose tax payers money? those guys pay tax every cent has to be accounted for.

AllHailBiafra:
Can anyone answer my second question, what will happen if the American Government provide accommodation for them?
Re: American "Squatting" Lawmakers: Lessons For Nigerians. by NothingDoMe: 5:10pm On May 17, 2018
AllHailBiafra:
It will come from tax payers money. I don't think government jokes with tax payers money. angry
Re: American "Squatting" Lawmakers: Lessons For Nigerians. by Jerrypolo(m): 5:59pm On May 17, 2018
AllHailBiafra:

In fact.......

At your age you should be able to read and understand.

1 Like

Re: American "Squatting" Lawmakers: Lessons For Nigerians. by AllHailBiafra(m): 9:19pm On May 17, 2018
Jerrypolo:

At your age you should be able to read and understand.
You nairalanders don't have much problem but Una bad mouthing eeh..... NawaaO!
Re: American "Squatting" Lawmakers: Lessons For Nigerians. by SalamRushdie: 9:23pm On May 17, 2018
rayopt:
Goan tell Dino!

Also the your constituency representatives
Re: American "Squatting" Lawmakers: Lessons For Nigerians. by SalamRushdie: 9:26pm On May 17, 2018
I have always maintained that political positions shouldntvthe made comfortable becuasy that's the only way you can get selfless people there ...Once politicians are paid like rockstars only a greedy criminals will find their way in there.. National Assmebly monthly take home shouldn't be more than 250k a month

(1) (Reply)

Sovereign Wealth Fund: Respect Ramadan – Jonathan’s Camp Replies Buhari / Oshiomole Corruption Case: Bishop Ochei Writes US, Alleged Threats To Life / Contrast Of Shia Islam Treatment In South Africa & Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.