Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,593 members, 7,809,149 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:25 AM

Why Are The Four Other Seaports In Nigeria Abandoned? - Travel (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Are The Four Other Seaports In Nigeria Abandoned? (42777 Views)

GUO Motors Attacked, Passengers Kidnapped, Driver Shot Dead. Girl Abandoned / Have You Seen A Nigerian Elephant?Nigeria Abandoned tourism potential / Tourists Are Dying Trying To Reach This Abandoned Bus In Alaskan Wilderness(Pics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are The Four Other Seaports In Nigeria Abandoned? by MIKOLOWISKA: 4:02am On May 18, 2018
islandmoon:
the first time we sailed our ship to Port Harcourt seaport, some boys said we must settle youth and settle the communities before offloading our stuffs, and even when we settled them and move those goods to ware house, another set of youth and another community showed up again, we were frustrated, and as we were thinking of what to do, the men heading back to china on the ship called us, said militant is trying to kidnap them, so every since then, till I left that job, we prefer to berth in Lagos rather than Port Harcourt, its safer. the we reason prefer Lagos port.
Toh
you have said it all
Re: Why Are The Four Other Seaports In Nigeria Abandoned? by MIKOLOWISKA: 4:25am On May 18, 2018
Raypawer:
So dry! how come all the oil companies have their facilities at Port Harcourt and Akwa Ibom? why hasn't it bee destroyed by militants since?

for seaport you only have to ship your container to the port, its checked by customs and you get your consignment,

it's Obasanjo that started that marginalization all in a single lie, saying fed govt want to checkmate importation into the country.

because that's where the oil is
Re: Why Are The Four Other Seaports In Nigeria Abandoned? by MIKOLOWISKA: 4:33am On May 18, 2018
bibe:

Following the civil war, in order to check against arms infiltration (the government still feared the Eastern region may re-arm #paranoia) all imports of goods to the Eastern ports was stopped. Then government then had to improve capacity of Lagos apapa Port to handle the increased traffic and that's the Genesis of the whole current problem. This also made it easier for them to monitor what was coming in and going out (Lagos was still the seat of power then thus it was much easier)
will the president examine all containers
is it not human officers they will put there

Onne was then repurposed to serve mostly oil and gas export/import (oil boom). And this policy remained so until about few years ago.

Naturally, Lagos has a deep bathymetry compared to Eastern ports (which has shallow bathymetry and a problem for big ships).
barges cud work

This wouldn't have been much of an issue if not for the policy adopted following the war as the Eastern government could've easily carried out dredging projects to solve such issues as well as also increasing capacity to handle big ships (ships keep getting bigger and bigger and you need to develop Port capacity to handle them).

These long years of neglect/policy is what brought about the situation we have today in the Eastern ports. Plus a lot of service companies have created service chains on the back of Apapa dominance which makes Lagos port much more functional and attractive to shipping companies.

It's going to take years and deliberate efforts on the part of the federal government to turn the tide.
state nko

#my humble take on the Eastern port issues following researches I made a long time ago.
hmm
we've got our work cut out for us.
I think private sector needs to be given free hand
Re: Why Are The Four Other Seaports In Nigeria Abandoned? by MIKOLOWISKA: 4:46am On May 18, 2018
Killurself:
Onne seaport is OK but koko how many ship or load that koko seaport can contained? if you never visit koko pls don't even comment on this issue. Warri seaport mostly used by Julius Berger but for koko seaport is not up to standard at all, not even have enough space, it only used to offload total engine oil thru ship to the total company inside koko, And as small as koko they can frustrate investor, during my staying in koko 2003/2004 mtn and glo want erect their mass for communication the money community was asking the company they can't pay it, after 5 to 6 years after a lot of communication suffer before they accepted to erect mass, and also youth problem in Warri but the Warri as been enjoy peace now than before.
dem no fit arrest those thugs?
Re: Why Are The Four Other Seaports In Nigeria Abandoned? by bibe(m): 5:20am On May 18, 2018
laudate:

Oga, post the url or the source of the so-called policy which you stated here, where you claimed that "This wouldn't have been much of an issue if not for the policy adopted following the war as the Eastern government could've easily carried out dredging..."

Who made this policy, and where is it documented? sad We need to check your sources and verify. Enough of the propaganda. sad The fact that Onne sea port was developed and is currently quite functional, rubbishes your claim about this so-called policy.

Why don't you do a little research and see for yourself before peddling it as propaganda. As for the onne port I already explained what happened. Oil was already discovered in oloibiri before then as well as other discoveries in and around Rivers State (and other present SS states). As it was already becoming a mainstay of our economy, onne was then harnessed and improved to sort out oil and gas strictly until recently.

I made a submission, you should politely counter them no need to resort to sly remarks.
Re: Why Are The Four Other Seaports In Nigeria Abandoned? by bibe(m): 5:36am On May 18, 2018
MIKOLOWISKA:

will the president examine all containers
is it not human officers they will put there

barges cud work

state nko
hmm
we've got our work cut out for us.
I think private sector needs to be given free hand

Like I said earlier, it was more a case of paranoia than anything (for example think Gaza blockade)

Barges could work but that'll increase processing time as well as cost not to mention the enormous handling risks. Also there's the issue of administrative bottlenecks that'll prop up in the case of barges. It works better with oil than other goods. Plus with the size of container ships these days, I don't think barges is that much a good idea.

States couldn't really fund all that until recently (at least with 13% derivation and government policy allowing PPP. before PPP wouldn't have been possible due to high government policies. it used to be military rule remember)

Like I mentioned earlier, service companies have now developed a web chain of service offerings over time that has now made Lagos Port a much more attractive option due to advantages accorded it for too long as more and more companies that do import these stuffs now have their offices in Lagos.

Look at these things with perspective and you'll understand why and how it's going to be difficult to turn the tide now without deliberate government effort to get the Eastern ports 'working' again.
Re: Why Are The Four Other Seaports In Nigeria Abandoned? by MIKOLOWISKA: 6:28am On May 18, 2018
bibe:

Like I said earlier, it was more a case of paranoia than anything (for example think Gaza blockade)
I know
just talking

Barges could work but that'll increase processing time as well as cost not to mention the enormous handling risks. Also there's the issue of administrative bottlenecks that'll prop up in the case of barges. It works better with oil than other goods. Plus with the size of container ships these days, I don't think barges is that much a good idea.
again I thought so just after sending

States couldn't really fund all that until recently (at least with 13% derivation and government policy allowing PPP. before PPP wouldn't have been possible due to high government policies. it used to be military rule remember)
they used to have 50%,no?
that can also not loud World Bank or bank loans

Like I mentioned earlier, service companies have now developed a web chain of service offerings over time that has now made Lagos Port a much more attractive option due to advantages accorded it for too long as more and more companies that do import these stuffs now have their offices in Lagos.
they will replicate a at new locations

Look at these things with perspective and you'll understand why and how it's going to be difficult to turn the tide now without deliberate government effort to get the Eastern ports 'working' again.
[/quote]
don't believe in govt under these politicians
[quote]
Re: Why Are The Four Other Seaports In Nigeria Abandoned? by bibe(m): 7:15am On May 18, 2018
MIKOLOWISKA:

I know
just talking

again I thought so just after sending

they used to have 50%,no?
that can also not loud World Bank or bank loans

they will replicate a at new locations

don't believe in govt under these politicians

50% was obtainable under the regional system. Then it wasn't an issue. Infact Aba was actually built for the specific purpose of manufacturing. Now all the industries there are defunct due to Port neglect.

The kinda loan required for these kinda project is enormous, you need massive federal commitment and assistance which isn't fort coming and may never happen hence the clamour for restructuring.

As for replicating in new locations that's very possible but you gotta get the capacity up and running first to spur demand.

I've already lost hope in the government as currently structured, it has its merits for sure but lacks in infrastructural performance and will continue to do so.
Re: Why Are The Four Other Seaports In Nigeria Abandoned? by E2power3: 7:17am On May 18, 2018
The reason is simply suicidal Nigerian politics and destructive economic gangsterism in Nigeria.

After the civil war, FGN led by by the North blocked the use of the ports located in the South South through their control of FG. The best they have done after that was to declare those as exclusively for oil and gas.

On the economic side, my Yorubas want all to pass through the only ports in South West so as not to lose the economic advantage of Lagos being both the gateway to Nigerian economy through the ports and economic capital of the country.

Now, this dirty politics and genocidal economic display is out in the public domain for all to know.

Nigerians are free to visit those other ports to see things for themselves (as I did myself while investigating this) so as to be armed with ready answers for those who will come up with all sorts of rubbish as the reason.
Re: Why Are The Four Other Seaports In Nigeria Abandoned? by peacengine(m): 7:36am On May 18, 2018
aribisala0:
oil prices under OBJ were low and never as high as today 17. May 2018

He paid off a major debt and gave th country a good platform when he left with plenty os savings despite low oil prices compared to under GEJ or even today

He should have diversified since he was faced with low oil revenue. It should have made him consider improving the ports all over the country to generate funds from tax and duties.

1 Like

Re: Why Are The Four Other Seaports In Nigeria Abandoned? by lonelydora: 8:01am On May 18, 2018
theenchanter:
It always beat my imagination how Nigeria end up inflicting hardship on itself just because of "marginalization". Take it or leave it, some parts of Nigeria is being marginalized, the nation can't move forward with this set-up.

Don't tell me states govt can build their seaports when their federal allocation can only pay salaries and minor road projects.

Don't tell me they can generate revenue on their own when there's not much economic presence in the regions.

Don't tell me their citizens can pay tax to generate revenue when their people are jobless, hungry and angry.

A sensible central govt will tryna ease Lagos seaport by allowing cargoes that are eastern bound use any of the remaining ports, afterall; not all consignment are for Lagos alone, what's d point in wasting about 30days to clear goods in Lagos when the remaining ports are useless?

Nigeria is fvcked up, big time!... even Benin republic is feeding on Nigeria's carcass.

Nice one. Even with this explanations, many people will still not understand
Re: Why Are The Four Other Seaports In Nigeria Abandoned? by Nobody: 8:45am On May 18, 2018
autojosh:
Nigeria and Benin Republic are competitors in the maritime business. The two West African countries are competing to be the Load Center, otherwise known as transshipment base, in West Africa.

Tragically, Contonou has remained the haven for Nigerian importers.

About 60% of all the imports to West Africa are destined to Nigeria. However, what gets to our seaports is just about 10%.

In other words, all the shipment coming to West Africa are billed for Nigeria, but at the end of the day what gets to Nigerian port directly is just about 10%.

The greater amount of cargoes are offloaded in neigbouring ports in Cotonou and other West African states and then they are transshipped to Nigeria. This is mostly because the seaports at Apapa and Tin Can are enormously overwhelmed.

Calabar Port Terminal

Meanwhile, Nigeria has 4 other sea ports that are underutilized or abandoned. The seaports are in Warri, Calabar, Koko and Port Harcourt.

Unarguably, Nigeria enjoys a large market advantage over Benin Republic because of her population, but sadly, it is Benin Republic that benefits from the large market of Nigeria.

Many countries of the world do not have such luxuries of having multiple seaports. Some are landlocked. Fortunately, Nigeria is blessed with many natural harbors and ports. Sadly, we are not taking advantage of this blessing.

Indeed, Nigeria needs deep seaports. However, if fully utilized, the abandoned and underutilized seaports in Nigeria have the capacity to significantly increase our national revenue and indeed our GDP.

So, why are the Port Harcourt, Calabar, Warri and Koko seaports underutilized?

Port Harcourt Port Terminal

Note, however, that the Intels’ Onne port in River state is Nigeria’s best run and perhaps the most active ports in the country. The Intels’ Onne seaport is a privately-run seaport within the same region as the abandoned ports.

According to the Nigeria Bureau of Statistics, in 2017, the cargo throughput on Nigeria seaport was highest at Onne Port.

In that year, the Onne Port had cargo throughput of 25,836,246 (while inward was 1,947,347, outward was 23,888,899).

This was followed by Apapa Port with 18,909,238 (inward was 17,523,313, while outward was 1,385,925)

Tin Can Island Port was third with 15,520,925 (inward was 14,623 and outward was 1,385,925).

Meanwhile, the other seaports – Port Harcourt, Warri, Calabar – struggled with very poor cargo throughput.

Please note that these almost comatose seaports are within the same axis as the high-performing Onne port.

So, what really is the excuse for the neglect of the seaports at Port Harcourt, Warri and Calabar?

Warri Port Terminal

Intel Onne Port

https://autojosh.com/why-are-the-four-other-seaports-in-nigeria-abandoned/

Is this the same Intels owned by Atiku?

Ladies and gentlemen, this is one of the reasons Nigeria can NEVER BE DIVIDED.

You don't expect Atiku and other wealthy Northerners to loose their multi million dollar investments in the South.
Re: Why Are The Four Other Seaports In Nigeria Abandoned? by aribisala0(m): 9:45am On May 18, 2018
peacengine:

He should have diversified since he was faced with low oil revenue. It should have made him consider improving the ports all over the country to generate funds from tax and duties.
Diversified? You just open your mouth an talk nonsenseas if diversification is a button on the keyboard?

Are we talking about Obasanjo here?

I am not his supporter so no here to defend him but he did takes steps to diversify.
It is because of his policy that Dangote started manufacturing cement in Nigeria and the Mobile phone segment of the economy was built.
The fact ishe did not have money to invest in the ports but Jonathan did

1 Like

Re: Why Are The Four Other Seaports In Nigeria Abandoned? by laudate: 9:49am On May 18, 2018
bibe:
Why don't you do a little research and see for yourself before peddling it as propaganda. As for the onne port I already explained what happened. Oil was already discovered in oloibiri before then as well as other discoveries in and around Rivers State (and other present SS states). As it was already becoming a mainstay of our economy, onne was then harnessed and improved to sort out oil and gas strictly until recently.

I made a submission, you should politely counter them no need to resort to sly remarks.

Oga, you know nothing about the so-called policy you are peddling around. sad It is nothing, but sheer speculation and misguided propaganda, which started after the civil war. I have heard the same fake story before, and I conducted research on it! There is no circular, no memo, no written govt document anywhere, that corroborates this story. So try and free your mind and stop recycling hearsay, as if it were the gospel truth. undecided

Someone explained the reason for the lack of patronage of those ports, in another post. The shallow waters and need for constand dredging, have made the operations of the ports, rather uneconomical and difficult to sustain, except for Onne port which has a deep draught. sad Take Calabar port for example. Do you know how many times a year, it needs to be dredged for ease of navigation and vessel usage?

Statistics shows that business activities at Calabar Port has been at its lowest ebb for over many years, due to the shallow draught of the channel that restrict access to smaller vessels and barges. This led the NPA to enter into joint venture agreements with the Calabar Channel Management Company Limited in 2014, to dredge the channel, which was originally 6 meters to 10 meters draught.

Beyond dredging, Calabar Port has a big problem, which has to do with the locating the port in a place that does not have the natural attributes of a seaport.

The port has 120 kilometres of high sea meandering channel that makes dredging difficult, such that after dredging this month with $100 million, in six months, NPA will need to dredge it again with same funds.
This makes Calabar to lack economic viability that would encourage NPA to keep investing billions of naira generated from Ports in Lagos, to dredge the Calabar channel.

This means that it is not economically viable to get 10 metres draught in Calabar and maintain it consistently. Though, this was possible in the pre-concession era when NPA was the master stevedore in charge of cargo handling at ports, but today there are terminal operators. http://www.businessdayonline.com/transforming-calabar-port-viable-entity/

1 Like

Re: Why Are The Four Other Seaports In Nigeria Abandoned? by samsam2019: 10:39am On May 18, 2018
This is why we all should come together to fight and break this evil country up.

Nigeria as a country is expired and we need to go our separate ways and flourish independently
Re: Why Are The Four Other Seaports In Nigeria Abandoned? by lastdon5: 10:46am On May 18, 2018
laudate:

Eastern bound cargo can always use Onne sea port, which is closer to that region. sad It is not by force to use Lagos sea port. Let the importers do the needful. undecided

I believe it's a conspiracy for things to be the way it is... it favours the west.
An Aba based businesses man will prefer to import his containers from lagos than from pH which is just a stone throw, when asked he will tell you that it's cheaper for him to clear his import from lagos and ship it down to the east, than clearing his goods only in any of pH or Calabar.
This goes on to show that if the ports in the east are working, there's no reason for Igbos to be in Lagos.
revenue from these ports will drastically reduced.
Re: Why Are The Four Other Seaports In Nigeria Abandoned? by mybestlove(m): 10:59am On May 18, 2018
laudate:

Don't be silly. Revenue from the ports goes direct to federal govt, and NOT Lagos state. undecided Onne port in the SS, is highly functional as we speak, and generates more revenue for federal govt than Lagos ports.
You are more silly. Are you telling me that Lagos state derives no revenues from the seaports? Check yourself very well. For saying that Onne port yields more revenue than Lagos means you are high on codeine and tramadol, I'm sending emergency team to check your state of health
Re: Why Are The Four Other Seaports In Nigeria Abandoned? by laudate: 10:59am On May 18, 2018
lastdon5:
I believe it's a conspiracy for things to be the way it is... it favours the west.
An Aba based businesses man will prefer to import his containers from lagos than from pH which is just a stone throw, when asked he will tell you that it's cheaper for him to clear his import from lagos and ship it down to the east, than clearing his goods only in any of pH or Calabar.
This goes on to show that if the ports in the east are working, there's no reason for Igbos to be in Lagos.

What kind of conspiracy? Who designed it and when was it executed? shocked The truth is that your importers are obsessed with Lagos. Onne port is highly functional, and transportation rates from Onne port to other parts of SS and SE, are much cheaper than freight charges from lagos ports to SS and SE.

Calabar has a shallow draught and cost of dredging is huge. Kindly do your research on the problems of the ports. undecided There have been over 4 Ministers of Transportation from SE region in the past 15 years, how come they have failed to solve the problems of the SS/SE ports?

3 Likes

Re: Why Are The Four Other Seaports In Nigeria Abandoned? by mikeapollo: 11:00am On May 18, 2018
autojosh:
Nigeria and Benin Republic are competitors in the maritime business. The two West African countries are competing to be the Load Center, otherwise known as transshipment base, in West Africa.

Tragically, Contonou has remained the haven for Nigerian importers.

About 60% of all the imports to West Africa are destined to Nigeria. However, what gets to our seaports is just about 10%.

In other words, all the shipment coming to West Africa are billed for Nigeria, but at the end of the day what gets to Nigerian port directly is just about 10%.

The greater amount of cargoes are offloaded in neigbouring ports in Cotonou and other West African states and then they are transshipped to Nigeria. This is mostly because the seaports at Apapa and Tin Can are enormously overwhelmed.

Calabar Port Terminal

Meanwhile, Nigeria has 4 other sea ports that are underutilized or abandoned. The seaports are in Warri, Calabar, Koko and Port Harcourt.

Unarguably, Nigeria enjoys a large market advantage over Benin Republic because of her population, but sadly, it is Benin Republic that benefits from the large market of Nigeria.

Many countries of the world do not have such luxuries of having multiple seaports. Some are landlocked. Fortunately, Nigeria is blessed with many natural harbors and ports. Sadly, we are not taking advantage of this blessing.

Indeed, Nigeria needs deep seaports. However, if fully utilized, the abandoned and underutilized seaports in Nigeria have the capacity to significantly increase our national revenue and indeed our GDP.

So, why are the Port Harcourt, Calabar, Warri and Koko seaports underutilized?

Port Harcourt Port Terminal

Note, however, that the Intels’ Onne port in River state is Nigeria’s best run and perhaps the most active ports in the country. The Intels’ Onne seaport is a privately-run seaport within the same region as the abandoned ports.

According to the Nigeria Bureau of Statistics, in 2017, the cargo throughput on Nigeria seaport was highest at Onne Port.

In that year, the Onne Port had cargo throughput of 25,836,246 (while inward was 1,947,347, outward was 23,888,899).

This was followed by Apapa Port with 18,909,238 (inward was 17,523,313, while outward was 1,385,925)

Tin Can Island Port was third with 15,520,925 (inward was 14,623 and outward was 1,385,925).

Meanwhile, the other seaports – Port Harcourt, Warri, Calabar – struggled with very poor cargo throughput.

Please note that these almost comatose seaports are within the same axis as the high-performing Onne port.

So, what really is the excuse for the neglect of the seaports at Port Harcourt, Warri and Calabar?

Warri Port Terminal

Intel Onne Port

https://autojosh.com/why-are-the-four-other-seaports-in-nigeria-abandoned/

This is the foolishness of the foolishness of the country that calls itself the 'giant of Africa'' but does not have common sense!
Re: Why Are The Four Other Seaports In Nigeria Abandoned? by laudate: 11:02am On May 18, 2018
mybestlove:
You are more silly. Are you telling me that Lagos state derives no revenues from the seaports? Check yourself very well. For saying that Onne port yields more revenue than Lagos means you are high on codeine and tramadol, I'm sending emergency team to check your state of health
The money spent on your education was wasted. sad Revenue from the seaports and airports goes directly to the federal govt, and NOT the state govt. Ports are on the exclusive legislative list. Politics 101. Educate yourself and collect a refund from your teachers. Then use the money to acquire common sense.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are The Four Other Seaports In Nigeria Abandoned? by bibe(m): 12:42pm On May 18, 2018
laudate:

Oga, you know nothing about the so-called policy you are peddling around. sad It is nothing, but sheer speculation and misguided propaganda, which started after the civil war. I have heard the same fake story before, and I conducted research on it! There is no circular, no memo, no written govt document anywhere, that corroborates this story. So try and free your mind and stop recycling hearsay, as if it were the gospel truth. undecided

Someone explained the reason for the lack of patronage of those ports, in another post. The shallow waters and need for constand dredging, have made the operations of the ports, rather uneconomical and difficult to sustain, except for Onne port which has a deep draught. sad Take Calabar port for example. Do you know how many times a year, it needs to be dredged for ease of navigation and vessel usage?

When commenting on public forum do try to pass your point without being condescending. I have no personal issues with you.

I highlighted bathymetry as part of the problem with the Eastern ports in my initial response as well as others (ibaka is an exception but still in conception for now).

As for the the speculation and propaganda regarding after war 'policy', it wasn't much of a policy so to speak as that was military regime (the do more of decrees). Granted there aren't much reports about it but it did happen.
Re: Why Are The Four Other Seaports In Nigeria Abandoned? by laudate: 12:56pm On May 18, 2018
bibe:
When commenting on public forum do try to pass your point without being condescending. I have no personal issues with you.

I highlighted bathymetry as part of the problem with the Eastern ports in my initial response as well as others (ibaka is an exception but still in conception for now).

As for the the speculation and propaganda regarding after war 'policy', it wasn't much of a policy so to speak as that was military regime (the do more of decrees). Granted there aren't much reports about it but it did happen.

I was not being condescending, I was being realistic. undecided If you had stuck to the fact that the SS ports needed constant dredging - a process requiring huge funds - in order to remain functional enough to accomodate large sea-going vessels, it would have been accepted and even applauded, because that is the plain truth. But you had to spoil it, by laying claim to some alleged policy to keep the SS ports in a comatose state. sad

It is sad to see educated people peddling rumours and propaganda around, and referring to it as a so-called policy. sad A policy made by whom, at what time? During the different military regimes in this country, every decree that was promulgated was published, and widely circulated. So where is the copy of the decree made to support your so-called policy?

2 Likes

Re: Why Are The Four Other Seaports In Nigeria Abandoned? by aribisala0(m): 1:11pm On May 18, 2018
lastdon5:

The biggest importers are not Aba based businessmenn or businesses that import on or two containers.They are big companies like Nigerian Breweries ,Coca Cola,
Flour Mills ,Dangote,Guinness and so on most of which are based in Lagos.

The reality of the ports is simply one of demand and supply.

Why did the British abandonCalabar Port long before independence? were they part of a conspiracy too?

The truth is Lagos is vry cheapto maintain and there was no incentive too do otherwise.

The other thing is despite her image oil rich. Nigeria wasbroke throughout the 80s and 90s and there was no money for any investment ininfraastructure.

Theonly time there was a windfall theyput the money in Abuja

There was no investment in power, in rail or roads and there was no investment in the port in Lagos or surrounding infrastructure fromthe 80s

Let us not pretend that it was only in the ports that there was no investment

The only investment in Lagos since 1981 in Lagos was the completion of 3rd mainland bridge which was already completed up tlll Yaba

We are talking more than 20 years with oilunder $30 and Nigeria struggling to payher debt.

The whole country was neglected.

Everything we see at the Lagos Port was there in the 70s.

If indeed there was such a conspiracy then another port would have been built at Lekki or Badagry long time ago .

but the moment they decided they were goingto Abuja Lagos was abandoned andnothing new built

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are The Four Other Seaports In Nigeria Abandoned? by aribisala0(m): 1:18pm On May 18, 2018
There is one funny thing that makes me laugh

In 1960 the Igbos went into coalition government with the North and the West went into opposition

Nnamdi Azikiwe was rewarded with Presidential title

In 1960 the Igbos went into coalition government with the North and the West went into opposition

Nnamdi Azikiwe was rewarded with Presidential title

In 1979 Shagari did not have a majority in the National Assembly . Zik and his party the NPP went into coalition with NPN and was rewarded with the Speaker of the House of Reps( Ume-Ezeoke) coming from NPP. The Yoruba led by Awolowo went into opposition

In 1983 Shagari did not have a majority in the National Assembly . Zik and his party the NPP went into coalition with NPN and was rewarded with the Speaker of the House of Reps coming from NPP( Ume-Ezeoke). The Yoruba led by Awolowo went into opposition by now Ojukwu had been pardoned and returned to join NPN

In short politically the Yoruba have always been in opposition and the Igbos have always been atthe centre n alliance with their Fulani friends

The Yoruba must indeed be veryy powerful to concoct such a conspiracy from opposition whilst the Igbos were in power with their friends just like they were under GEJ

5 Likes

Re: Why Are The Four Other Seaports In Nigeria Abandoned? by mybestlove(m): 3:46pm On May 18, 2018
laudate:

The money spent on your education was wasted. sad Revenue from the seaports and airports goes directly to the federal govt, and NOT the state govt. Ports are on the exclusive legislative list. Politics 101. Educate yourself and collect a refund from your teachers. Then use the money to acquire common sense.
And I put it to you that Lagos state makes huge revenue from the seaports. Apart from the direct revenue to federal government from duties, Lagos state government makes revenue both from the federal government in return and levies on terminals, land use etc. Go to school. You're talking to an auditor
Re: Why Are The Four Other Seaports In Nigeria Abandoned? by laudate: 3:50pm On May 18, 2018
mybestlove:
And I put it to you that Lagos state makes huge revenue from the seaports. Apart from the direct revenue to federal government from duties, Lagos state government makes revenue both from the federal government in return and levies on terminals, land use etc. Go to school. You're talking to an auditor
An auditor? Hehehe....anyone can claim to be anything on the internet. Continue exposing your ignorance. undecided So Lagos state charges levies on airport or seaport terminals according to you, and also makes money from land use charges levied on the ports? shocked Can you listen to yourself?

4 Likes

Re: Why Are The Four Other Seaports In Nigeria Abandoned? by MIKOLOWISKA: 6:56pm On May 18, 2018
bibe:

50% was obtainable under the regional system. Then it wasn't an issue. Infact Aba was actually built for the specific purpose of manufacturing. Now all the industries there are defunct due to Port neglect.
Road transport
They haven't produced enough for local
What do they need port for

The kinda loan required for these kinda project is enormous
I know

, you need massive federal commitment and assistance which isn't fort coming and may never happen hence the clamour for restructuring.
Tinapa didn't need any govt
Neither did Telecoms

As for replicating in new locations that's very possible but you gotta get the capacity up and running first to spur demand.

I've already lost hope in the government as currently structured, it has its merits for sure but lacks in infrastructural performance and will continue to do so.
after listening to Ayn rand I realize govt should never Be put hope in
Re: Why Are The Four Other Seaports In Nigeria Abandoned? by Jonra(m): 10:55pm On May 18, 2018
Interesting discovery > marinetraffic.com and it's real time too�. Learned som' new today - Onne port is almost as busy as Lagos. Should come in handy someday. And is there another online resource I can use to track ships at our national ports?

erico2k2:

I shipped 2x 40ft from china to Onne port last year, I am also shipping another 20ft from London as we speak, so my friend if you know you KNOW!, and to be well informed, you can check live daily manifest of ships/vessels in and out of the Ports in real time on line for free. Nigerians youths are too lazy to dig deep for a bit of research!
Re: Why Are The Four Other Seaports In Nigeria Abandoned? by mybestlove(m): 11:15pm On May 18, 2018
laudate:

An auditor? Hehehe....anyone can claim to be anything on the internet. Continue exposing your ignorance. undecided So Lagos state charges levies on airport or seaport terminals according to you, and also makes money from land use charges levied on the ports? shocked Can you listen to yourself?
By land use charges I mean levies and obligations charged on port operators like truckers, bonded terminals ecc. Can you please tell me why Lagos state is among the top earners from federal allocation if not for the ports and the revenue accruing to the federal government from there. And I put it to you that the state extorts money from importers and truckers for every container coming out of the port, try to verify this.
Re: Why Are The Four Other Seaports In Nigeria Abandoned? by laudate: 11:57pm On May 18, 2018
mybestlove:
By land use charges I mean levies and obligations charged on port operators like truckers, bonded terminals ecc. Can you please tell me why Lagos state is among the top earners from federal allocation if not for the ports and the revenue accruing to the federal government from there. And I put it to you that the state extorts money from importers and truckers for every container coming out of the port, try to verify this.

Guy, you need to go back to school for a tutorial. sad And you need to stop shifting the goalpost. undecided Your previous comments stated that Lagos state derives revenue from the seaports. When your fallacy was exposed, and it was shown that revenue from seaports goes directly to federal govt, you turned round to claim Lagos state gets revenue from levies and land use charges, at the seaport. Hehehe.....what a joke. cheesy How clueless can a person be?

Now that your erroneous thoughts have been debunked, you have made another U-turn to claim Lagos state earns revenue from "land use charges I mean levies and obligations charged on port operators like truckers, bonded terminals ecc." undecided It is so obvious that you are just trying to do damage control, after you shot yourself in the foot.

Guy stop confusing yourself, okay? As long as the offices of those port operators are located inside the seaport premises, LUC cannot apply to them, because such premises are seen as federal govt property. The only time LUC can apply, is if their offices are located outside the seaports and airports.

As for your new comment that "the state extorts money from importers and truckers for every container coming out of the port," you have just come up with this excuse, to cover up how you goofed when you claimed Lagos state govt earns revenue from the seaport. sad For your info, the tickets or fees collected from the trucks after they leave the gates of the port, is done by the Apapa local govt. undecided The local govt in other parts of the state, also collects the same fees from truckers in the markets, motorparks, bus stations etc. It is a practice that cuts across board, not just because of the sea port.

Finally, you alleged that "why is Lagos state among the top earners from federal allocation if not for the ports and the revenue accruing to the federal government from there." sad I put it to you that you are a liar. Lagos state contributes more to the federal purse, as a result of revenue that it earns from companies operating within various sectors of the economy, and all the different commercial enterprises, located in different parts of the state. Lagos state generates one of the highest VAT figures. Please provide one official document or gazette to show that Lagos gets a higher federal allocation simply based on the seaport, in the state. We are waiting! undecided

3 Likes

Re: Why Are The Four Other Seaports In Nigeria Abandoned? by sangresan(m): 12:45pm On May 19, 2018
E2power3:
The reason is simply suicidal Nigerian politics and destructive economic gangsterism in Nigeria.

After the civil war, FGN led by by the North blocked the use of the ports located in the South South through their control of FG. The best they have done after that was to declare those as exclusively for oil and gas.

On the economic side, my Yorubas want all to pass through the only ports in South West so as not to lose the economic advantage of Lagos being both the gateway to Nigerian economy through the ports and economic capital of the country.

Now, this dirty politics and genocidal economic display is out in the public domain for all to know.

Nigerians are free to visit those other ports to see things for themselves (as I did myself while investigating this) so as to be armed with ready answers for those who will come up with all sorts of rubbish as the reason.
I wonder what the illiterates will be saying, if seemingly educated folks could utter falsehoods like this...

Tell us when Yorubas were ever in the control of the economy of this country at govt level...Mention one regime whether during the military era or during the current civilian dispensation...The truth is that many of you often repeat what you heard ,probably from stark illiterates, without any attempt at interrogating the notions...

The military messed up Nigeria and their civilian counterparts are doing so all over again...It's never a Yoruba vs Igbo thing. Yorubas will never envy the SS or SE.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are The Four Other Seaports In Nigeria Abandoned? by erico2k2(m): 1:46pm On May 19, 2018
Jonra:
Interesting discovery > marinetraffic.com and it's real time too�. Learned som' new today - Onne port is almost as busy as Lagos. Should come in handy someday. And is there another online resource I can use to track ships at our national ports?

yes there are loads but this is free as it is, but if you pay on same site you get a whole load of other options, mayB you can track a container too.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Chain Reaction Accident Hit Truck, Cars At Dolphins - Osborne Road, Ikoyi Lagos / Amaechi Travels By Train From Abuja To Kaduna International Airport (Photos) / What ECOWAS Countries Have You Visited? How Do They Compare To Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 137
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.