Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,601 members, 7,812,967 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:15 AM

Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos - Culture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos (81278 Views)

Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife / "Why Woman Cannot Be An Oba In Benin Kingdom" - Man Reveals With Photos / Ezelekhae Ewuare: The Crown Prince Of Benin Kingdom Unveiled In Edo (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos by RaptorX: 1:41pm On May 20, 2018
The British did the same thing in Ethiopia when they sacked Gonda and stole all the imperial treasures from over the centuries and took them back to Britain during the reign of Emperor Theodrus leading him to commit suicide.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos by slimjohn2k5: 1:52pm On May 20, 2018
Does Nigeria look like Wakanda?
If they give it to him wetin he go use am do?
Re: Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos by GuntersChain(m): 1:54pm On May 20, 2018
will they return the slaves that were captured too.
Re: Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos by gregyboy(m): 1:56pm On May 20, 2018
charliboy654:

Lol, that was how one 4 hundred level student from unillorin came to do I.T in Warri and started calling us ibo, I corrected him like a thousand times that we are not even close to ibo but he refused.

A yoruba gal said that to me in uniben ....i was shocked that the yorubas know nothing of other region ..this is d way the three majour tribe see the rest nigeria

Ibos: see we as yorubas
Yorubas: see us igbos
Hausa: see us as both igbos and yoruba

So funny how it sound and we will call the whiteman fool when he says africa is a country
Is that noy hypocrisy

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos by pri3stess(f): 1:58pm On May 20, 2018
erico2k2:

I stil find it strange how youths born in Nigeria do not even know the geophysical demarcation of Nigeria, Those Artifacts are of the Benin and Yorubas trait!.Im sure the likes of you only travel btw Lagos and Ogun state thazzzzzit.So in ur waaap knowledge if you aint Yoruba or hausa you are Igbo?
This xplains the mass failure in O'level in Nigeria.

I agree. I normally stay away from Nairaland because the comments under posts like this are normally so cringey. Sometimes I think Nigerians deserve their leaders. Very culturally lost set of people with inferiority complex.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos by ultimatebas(m): 2:04pm On May 20, 2018
I went to orlando museum of arts & science,Florida,US 3 yrs ago. At the exhibition of African Arts section,i found a lot of artifacts from Nigeria and i was shocked. Wondering how they were able to accumulate so much of our culture and artifacts. shocked
Re: Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos by zhikirullah(m): 2:07pm On May 20, 2018
Hello house, save up to 40% using our global procurement or shipping service such as importation of car, fashion, electronic, cosmetics, equipment etc, relax, we have hundreds of verified merchants where you can buy online at low cost using your MasterCard, be wise, log on to www.sclogisticsng.com to get free warehouse addresses in USA, UK, China etc for your shopping. Call/whatsapp +2348066353127.
Re: Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos by jara: 2:07pm On May 20, 2018
This is funny die. They want sold art work back.

Why?

So that they can start allocating bogus budget. People who cannot take care of the living, want to take care of the dead.

Rescue and buy back all your children crossing the desert used for body parts, slaves and prostitutes first.

Provide for them and home, they will grow rich to retrieve your pride abroad.

BTW, this is for all Nigerians.
Re: Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos by Ejomax77(m): 2:09pm On May 20, 2018
See how shiny they're looking in a British museum...
If they return them, they'll probably rust/decay here in Nigeria due to lack of maintenance.
Re: Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos by JUHABACH: 2:10pm On May 20, 2018
martineverest:
have u asked urself how many whites that wud AV been to Benin to see this if they were in Benin.?...those artefact were in obas palace for over 400 yrs before British stole them

we are not lacking in artifacts as it is currently. seriously, we have tons of them. but the fact is we haven't done a good job of "marketing our products".
it's all about packaging.
Re: Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos by GrammarCheck: 2:11pm On May 20, 2018
EzendiEgo1:
What kind of stupidity is this Afonja displaying.

So they should return what brings huge revenue to British Government.

I think guy is really stupid besides this is how they always claims what is not theirs.

Our Artifacts Nigeria Government stolen from us during Biafra war have they return it.

Stupid Afonja's

Ode. Odion Osagie is a Benin man. You are so myopic. Gosh! Your entire stratosphere revolves around Ariaria market. Thank God for N100 data, you have managed to experience internet.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos by JUHABACH: 2:13pm On May 20, 2018
charliboy654:

Irrespective of the fact that those artifacts are being appreciated over there, I believe the British should pay us rent for them. They make huge amount from those artifacts yearly. I believe a certain percent of the money they make should be given to us.

bruh, all is fair in love and war. they don't have an obligation to give us anything. what we ought to do is make maximum utility of the artifacts in our possession e.g. ife art, Nok art, terracotta art etc. and make something for ourselves. but we clearly aren't ready to do that.
Re: Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos by yeman1(m): 2:38pm On May 20, 2018
Those are the artefacts looped out when British army invaded Benin kingdom during the era of late King Ovonranwen Nogbaisi
in 1897
if u don't know d history , go back to school and learn Nigerian history about ur ancestors for those that don't believe.

It was a long story, Oba of Benin was sent to an exile later . tragedy from his side.

Some folks have fought about it to return the artefacts but no way
.. it has been auction and sold in high price
. so it can't be return unless we buy it back and I don't thing Nigeria govt is ready for that.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos by Nobody: 2:38pm On May 20, 2018
YOUNGELDER1:
They should please return them.

So they can be sold in the black market by Lazy fantastically corrupt Nigerians

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos by Affordablerent: 2:46pm On May 20, 2018
Mrchippychappy:

My brother God bless you, at least you are one of the few that can still reason properly. This thread shows that truly Nigerian youths are uneducated, lazy and doomed. How can people possible suggest that the British keep the loot that they stole from the Benin empire? historic artifacts that the British empire stole from Africa, our rich cultural heritage was destroyed and re-written by the same British who went about peddling lies that Sub Sahara Africa had absolutely no form of civilization and yet you want them to keep hiding artifacts that show that we did have some form of civilization! do some of you even listen to yourselves before you comment? are these comments just for laughs or are these actually your views on this issue? and to think that these ignorant posts are accumulating the highest number of likes on this thread, God save Nigeria and its youths. Nigerian youths abeg forget Big brother, Davido, Chioma, Wizkid, and get an education.

It seems you don't understand what has happened to Nigerian youths?many are suffering from inferiority complex

Affordable rent in Lagos, contact me
Re: Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos by Originalsly: 3:04pm On May 20, 2018
leke12:
Am sure it wasn't stolen , it was probably sold.
I guess you didn't read....or is it that the British do no wrong?

@topic.....the Israeli trace stolen Jewish artifacts... have them returned... demand compensation. ..but African artifacts can be stolen... openly sold and displayed... used as a source of income.... but Africans are crazy to even ask for what is his own. Mental slavery come to mind.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos by InvertedHammer: 3:13pm On May 20, 2018
The sad reality is that even if they return them, Nigeria will not know what to do with them. As expensive and precious as oil is, Nigeria cannot fathom out what to do with oil. UK might as well keep the artifacts. Nigeria needs physical cash only.

*/

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos by mcyemite(m): 3:16pm On May 20, 2018
Reminds me of black panther
Re: Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos by Originalsly: 3:19pm On May 20, 2018
InvertedHammer:
The sad reality is that even if they return them, Nigeria will not know what to do with them. As expensive and precious as oil is, Nigeria cannot fathom out what to do with oil. UK might as well keep the artifacts. Nigeria needs physical cash only.

*/

No doubt....they would be better kept by Britain.... but some kind of arrangement should be made... revenue sharing..... on display on behalf of 'Benin'...something to acknowledge ownership by 'Benin'.
Re: Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos by Luvlibee: 3:31pm On May 20, 2018
Black panther
Re: Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos by ready2learn: 3:31pm On May 20, 2018
All those asking for the return of the stolen artifacts should please visit the national museum Onikan Lagos. You will thank the thieves that stole from us. Look how well kept them items are; we should ask them to paid regular royalty to us instead. Return koo; return nii.
Re: Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos by Nike6: 3:41pm On May 20, 2018
See how the artifacts are looking intact and neat.
I wonder what will become of them within 1 year of their return
Re: Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos by Nobody: 4:01pm On May 20, 2018
pawshjai:
really..why u carry the matter for head..dnt u hv a lil sense of humour..isnt it obvious we jes being sacarstic nd funny...chill bro.chill...dnt tense up d air here
i only asked a simple question! calm down!
Re: Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos by Nobody: 4:05pm On May 20, 2018
maishai:
Brother , there is more value they being in the british museum, where do you want to keep those artifacts in nigeria, they will just rot to clay, search Nairaland for our so called artifacts that have not made their way out of Nigeria and all you get is abandoned artifacts carrying dust of ages, Just cut cap for the white man for valueing what the average black man considers voodoo......If a black man displays those artifacts i see , u go think say you dey Okija shrine
I disagree with u... We still have our original Benin artifacts at the Benin museum in king square, well kept & in good condition.. I am a regular visitor to the museum so i know.
Re: Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos by Born2Breed(f): 4:14pm On May 20, 2018
doctokwus:
Won't these wonderful art works be appreciated more abroad?
I rather feel whatever negotiation should be about these bronze works being kept and exhibited abroad while an annual levy be paid to the original Benin kingdom owners.
Very few in Nigeria can take out time to go view it in Benin or wherever else in Nigeria,asides many not appreciating their value.

Nice idea though! But we want it back.
Re: Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos by Born2Breed(f): 4:17pm On May 20, 2018
adorable29:
If returned, hope the Bini people will preserve it as well as the British Museum. Besides, being at the museum helps sell the culture to the entire world as people from all over the world come to see it as compared to Benin Musuem where only very few little kids on excursion
will manage to see it.

Just saying

The ones not stolen from other chiefs palaces are still there. Some are even 500yrs old.
Re: Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos by Nobody: 4:20pm On May 20, 2018
Ade3000yrs:
are you guy going back to d stone age or what? all these nonsense are nothing but art craft. i can make 200,000 of something similar if commissioned. what we need is technological aides and advancement exhibition, IT, industrial and Warcrafts like you have in the USA, China, Russia and Japan. Who cares about counter productive art work in this civilized and modern age? we should be talking technology and not all this useless art work as a misplacement of priority.

"To me this is a misinformation of the transmission of the ambitiousness and missionlessness of the confusion in our nation." May all these art junks wrath away with the white man.

Artifacts provide us with views on the daily lives and culture of past civilizations. They also give us a clue as to the scientific and engineering progresses in ancient civilizations. 
“Those who do not know history are doomed to repeat it.”
You my friend are a dunce & i can bet my last that u know nothing, even the most basic matter about technological advancement.. Because if u did that very lay unintelligent post would never come from u.
Re: Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos by Born2Breed(f): 4:20pm On May 20, 2018
kaluxy007:
It was sold to them

I can bet all my money on it

Even though na 3k dey my akant

If your teachers did their job well, you wont be displaying ignorance publicly.
Re: Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos by Nobody: 4:21pm On May 20, 2018
Born2Breed:

The ones not stolen from other chiefs palaces are still there. Some are even 500yrs old.
Tell the ignorant !diots
Re: Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos by fortunechy(m): 4:24pm On May 20, 2018
how can someone come from another country to ur own country n stolen something with out being caught n u believe...... the stuff was sold out PERIOD!!
Re: Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos by Born2Breed(f): 4:26pm On May 20, 2018
godfatherx:
Was it stolen or made a gift by the Oba of Benin?
I'm sure the Oba in council are aware of the presence of those artifacts at the museum. Do some background check before crying wolf.

Modified.
The post has been edited after I made my comment. When I read it, it was the facebook screenshot alone that was written.
Evanstical
Areafada2
grandstar

Does this look like sold items?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos by Born2Breed(f): 4:27pm On May 20, 2018
fortunechy:
how can someone come from another country to ur own country n stolen something with out being caught n u believe...... the stuff was sold out PERIOD!!

When last did you take your drugs? Please take it before you view the images below.

1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Aminu Sanusi Lamido Becomes A Police Officer (Photos) / Ancient Igbo Pyramids: The Nsude Pyramids / Can You Count From One To A Thousand In Your Local Dialect ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.