Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,886 members, 7,817,611 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:28 PM

Does Alcohol Contribute Anything To The Body. - Health (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Does Alcohol Contribute Anything To The Body. (7939 Views)

Special Powerful Massage Hammer For The Body. / How To Escape Alcohol Addiction / Does Alcohol Affects The Brain? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does Alcohol Contribute Anything To The Body. by Sonofpeace(m): 12:29am On Jun 01, 2010
iHustle:

isn't there a difference between eating and gluttony? isn't there a difference between sleeping and over sleeping? y do u find it hard to separate drinking from drunkenness? 

i've never been drunk before and so have countless others. drunkenness is simply an abuse of alcohol. there is no good thing that cannot and is not being abused

you remind me of the pharisees, they called Jesus a wine bibber just because he drank wine. was Jesus ever drunk? of course not. open your brain man!!!

Ehwoo! When did Jesus drank Alcohol? Huh! Just tell me Mister, don't you get drunk at any slightest free drink opportunity you get? From what i learnt alcohol has a way of leading its consumers into addiction the way nicotine does with cigarette smokers. Alcohol when consumed frequently creates a catabolism mechanism called microzonale ethanol oxidation system which metabolises so many chemicals that results to condensation product which are released to the brain to stimulate alcoholics hunger for more because of the reduction of endorphin's activity in the brain. This thereby causes drinker never to be satisfied with any amount consumed until the person is drunk. This finally tends to controls the mood and comfort of the person(consumer). Like i said b4 i dont hate alcoholics but i just don't like alcohol especially its smell irritates me.
Re: Does Alcohol Contribute Anything To The Body. by zaragoza(m): 8:16am On Jun 01, 2010
Alcohol - 7.2kcal/g
Protein - 4.2Kcal/g
Carbohydrate - 4.0Kcal/g
Fat - 9.0Kcal/g
So who ur daddy is?
Re: Does Alcohol Contribute Anything To The Body. by mrjingles(m): 10:52am On Jun 01, 2010
I think we have pple who are extremists pretending to be "holy" ^^^ for your information Jesus drank alcohol so stop being mischievous. Alcohol in moderation is ok abeg.
Re: Does Alcohol Contribute Anything To The Body. by Dalby(m): 1:32pm On Jun 01, 2010
How many 60cl bootles per day

Psalm 98:5 Sing unto the LORD with the [size=18pt]harp[/size]; with the harp, and the voice of a psalm.

Any one joining me in a bottle?
Re: Does Alcohol Contribute Anything To The Body. by agbaje4u(m): 3:22pm On Jun 01, 2010
Alcohol does no good to your body. It is injurious to your health. Period
Re: Does Alcohol Contribute Anything To The Body. by gabbond: 3:54pm On Jun 01, 2010
there a saying that ''what sweet a man kill's him''.therefore alcohol lovers,have it in mind that u ready to dance the rythem of 'alanta' on your grave side cheesy
Re: Does Alcohol Contribute Anything To The Body. by drumma(m): 5:33pm On Jun 01, 2010
God bless you posted , and to every down casting hypocrites out there who are just wagging their tongues about alcohol maybe you not see otherwise cos i see no harm in flushing my system with a bottle of Stout which also gives my body just the toxic elements it needs to be smooth and glowy if you don't have the ability to study what's good for your body you might wanna start taking notice of the advantages of those drinks we take rather than dwell on the disadvantage I would conquer a crate of small stout at one sitting and would not loose consciousness but i prefer to go with 2 bottles just right after dinner makes my food work better since we don't always have balanced diet on our menu list in this part of the world,

Ciaoo
Re: Does Alcohol Contribute Anything To The Body. by EEVICTOREE(m): 12:07am On Jun 02, 2010
nakedall:

how many roll of ganga u smoke put?
Is this for me or who
Re: Does Alcohol Contribute Anything To The Body. by ayo84(m): 12:21am On Jun 02, 2010
i think the type of alcohol, shld be what we shld be discussing, drinking alcoholic wine is far more healthier than drinking beer
Re: Does Alcohol Contribute Anything To The Body. by gbagudara: 9:04am On Jun 02, 2010
Yeah. It kills your liver and brain cells. It can cause cirrhosis of the liver and lives you mindless. Very powerful.
Re: Does Alcohol Contribute Anything To The Body. by Dalby(m): 10:37am On Jun 02, 2010
Something must kill a man undecided undecided undecided
Re: Does Alcohol Contribute Anything To The Body. by Dalby(m): 10:56am On Jun 02, 2010
To those who think everything enjoyable must be bad for you, this news might seem like a dream come true; Of course, there are many caveats. The operative word here is drinking in moderation.

The strongest medical evidence exists for the link between moderate drinking and a reduced risk of heart disease.

Dr. Kenneth Mukamal, an internist at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and assistant professor at Harvard Medical School in Boston, was the lead author of a New England Journal of Medicine study examining the roles of drinking patterns and heart disease that found, after 12 year of follow-up, that men who consumed alcohol between three and seven days a week had fewer heart attacks than men who drank once a week.

Below, Mukamal discusses the risk and benefits of moderate drinking.

Do we know why moderate drinking lowers heart disease risk? We think that a lot of the benefits of alcohol are on the blood vessels and on blockages in the arteries to the heart and to the brain. This might be related to alcohol's effect on the good cholesterol, the HDL cholesterol.

In fact, alcohol affects HDL levels just about as strongly as any other lifestyle factor. People also think that alcohol may lower heart attack risk by acting as a blood thinner.

What are some of the other health benefits associated with moderate drinking? A wide variety of health effects have been attributed to moderate drinking. A lower risk of diabetes has been seen in women and men.

There actually have been experiments done in which alcohol was administered over a couple of months to people without diabetes. In those studies, most of which have been conducted in women interestingly, it looks like moderate drinking improves the body's sensitivity to insulin.

It may actually lower insulin levels altogether and may prevent diabetes through that mechanism.

More recently we've done some work on moderate drinking and dementia. We looked at a group of older adults in the United States - average age was in the mid-70s - and found a reduced risk.

There has been some more work in slightly younger populations from Europe, and those studies have fairly consistently suggested that older adults who were drinking moderately may have a lower risk of dementia. We're not exactly sure what the mechanisms may be behind that.

Some of it may very well be because drinking tends to occur in social settings and just the process of getting out and socializing may be an important way to prevent dementia.

There is also evidence that moderate drinking may prevent silent strokes or other subtle types of brain injury that we know over time can predispose to dementia. I think it's still an area where we need some more investigation.

That you don not drink does not make it wrong (the typical Nigerian) lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

Go to http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/3968.php for more on issues like

1. Is the pattern of alcohol consumption important?
2. What constitutes one drink?
3. What are some of the risks of moderate drinking?
4. What about people with a history of alcohol abuse?
5. What is your advice for an individual who is weighing the risks or benefits of moderate drinking?
Re: Does Alcohol Contribute Anything To The Body. by Dalby(m): 11:36am On Jun 02, 2010
tongue tongue tongue
grin grin grin
Re: Does Alcohol Contribute Anything To The Body. by Dalby(m): 11:40am On Jun 02, 2010
To those who think everything enjoyable must be bad for you, this news might seem like a dream come true; Of course, there are many caveats. The operative word here is drinking in moderation.

The strongest medical evidence exists for the link between moderate drinking and a reduced risk of heart disease.

Dr. Kenneth Mukamal, an internist at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and assistant professor at Harvard Medical School in Boston, was the lead author of a New England Journal of Medicine study examining the roles of drinking patterns and heart disease that found, after 12 year of follow-up, that men who consumed alcohol between three and seven days a week had fewer heart attacks than men who drank once a week.

Do we know why moderate drinking lowers heart disease risk? We think that a lot of the benefits of alcohol are on the blood vessels and on blockages in the arteries to the heart and to the brain. This might be related to alcohol's effect on the good cholesterol, the HDL cholesterol.

In fact, alcohol affects HDL levels just about as strongly as any other lifestyle factor. People also think that alcohol may lower heart attack risk by acting as a blood thinner.

What are some of the other health benefits associated with moderate drinking? A wide variety of health effects have been attributed to moderate drinking. A lower risk of diabetes has been seen in women and men.

There actually have been experiments done in which alcohol was administered over a couple of months to people without diabetes. In those studies, most of which have been conducted in women interestingly, it looks like moderate drinking improves the body's sensitivity to insulin.

It may actually lower insulin levels altogether and may prevent diabetes through that mechanism.

More recently we've done some work on moderate drinking and dementia. We looked at a group of older adults in the United States - average age was in the mid-70s - and found a reduced risk.

There has been some more work in slightly younger populations from Europe, and those studies have fairly consistently suggested that older adults who were drinking moderately may have a lower risk of dementia. We're not exactly sure what the mechanisms may be behind that.

Some of it may very well be because drinking tends to occur in social settings and just the process of getting out and socializing may be an important way to prevent dementia.

There is also evidence that moderate drinking may prevent silent strokes or other subtle types of brain injury that we know over time can predispose to dementia. I think it's still an area where we need some more investigation.

That you don not drink does not make it wrong (the typical Nigerian) Lips sealed Lips sealed Lips sealed

5. What is your advice for an individual who is weighing the risks or benefits of moderate drinking?
Re: Does Alcohol Contribute Anything To The Body. by Dalby(m): 9:02am On Jun 03, 2010

That you don not drink does not make it wrong (the typical Nigerian) Lips sealed Lips sealed Lips sealed

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Blood Pressure Chart By Age / Common Practices That Prevents Women From Getting Pregnant / COVID-19 Update For December 5 2020 In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.