Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,745 members, 7,809,842 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:51 PM

Federal Government Stops G S M Lotteries In Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Federal Government Stops G S M Lotteries In Nigeria (6494 Views)

BREAKING: Federal Government Stops Buhari’s Private Jet / BREAKING: Nigeria Government Stops Buhari’s Private Jet / Likely Restrictions On G.S.M Calls, And Text Messages - Federal Government! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Federal Government Stops G S M Lotteries In Nigeria by newgroom: 11:08pm On May 26, 2010
There is every indication that the FGN through its agency responsible for lottery promotions in Nigeria has directed all GSM companies in Nigeria to stop all GSM lotteries forthwith.

I observed that Mobile Thieves in Nigeria (MTN) has not sent me their cajoled sms since morning, only for me to see Mr. Peter Igho, the agency's DG on national television (NTA) this evening  issuing the directives.

Although coming a little bit late, it is better late than never.

The agency should however go a step further by investigating all claims since the beginning of the promos. This should also be extended to all lotteries in Nigeria because they are too good to be true.
Re: Federal Government Stops G S M Lotteries In Nigeria by snowdrops(m): 11:11pm On May 26, 2010
Why must the first solution to apparently not so complicated problems be ban this ban that.
Re: Federal Government Stops G S M Lotteries In Nigeria by alienYOUTH(m): 12:50am On May 27, 2010
angry About time!!! 'was already getting frustrated wit all d text messages inundating me from all corners. These guys r cons & shld be put in their place. sad
Re: Federal Government Stops G S M Lotteries In Nigeria by hatch: 12:59am On May 27, 2010
May Allah be praised ! I never imagined that I will withness this action in my life time.I wonder why Ernest Ndukwe's NCC had been silent all this while if not they benefited from this armed robbery.
Re: Federal Government Stops G S M Lotteries In Nigeria by wirinet(m): 9:04am On May 27, 2010
I had always had a bout of depression even time MTN sends me one of those annoying (scam) messages. I had wondered where all the relevant agencies are. I believe MTN should be sued for fraud. The say there are carrying out a world cup promotions, but they are not promoting anything, all they want you to do is to send them N100 to enter a lottery draw for a chance to win N10,000000, and some tickets to watch the world cup live. So do you qualify that as a promotion. A promo should involve rewards for using your product. Instead of giving free airtime or improving their services, they just want to collect money for nothing.

Worse still they make various claims like, you are applying for a job with not qualifications required. It is a ponzi scheme and nothing more.

NCC, NBC and the the National Assembly should wake up to their responsibilities and stop all these nonsense.
Re: Federal Government Stops G S M Lotteries In Nigeria by yeswecan(m): 9:05am On May 27, 2010
I would love to see this one.
Re: Federal Government Stops G S M Lotteries In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:15am On May 27, 2010
Even etisalat of yesterday don open eye for this fraud thing.na wa o
Re: Federal Government Stops G S M Lotteries In Nigeria by otokx(m): 9:29am On May 27, 2010
No wonder i have not got any of those spam sms from zain; they should be made to refund all the cash to the subscribers.
Re: Federal Government Stops G S M Lotteries In Nigeria by indie22(f): 10:03am On May 27, 2010
About time! i was getting tired of ZAIN and their "u sef fit win 2 million naira cash" scam!
Re: Federal Government Stops G S M Lotteries In Nigeria by marvix(m): 10:18am On May 27, 2010
Hahahahah at least the govt has done something right, but y are we not calling for the sack of Ndukwe? Just me thinking aloud.
Re: Federal Government Stops G S M Lotteries In Nigeria by ayo84(m): 10:33am On May 27, 2010
men , that gsm lottery thing was bringing a lot of cash to these people, too bad it is goin to be heavily moderated, so bye bye to all these tv game shows and stuff.
and i was thinking of making money from this
Re: Federal Government Stops G S M Lotteries In Nigeria by abhosts(m): 11:12am On May 27, 2010
This is a good decision that only solves the problem temporarily. The GSM operators would have started brainstorming with their in-house Yahoo-Yahoo consultants on other ways milk their gullible customers.
Re: Federal Government Stops G S M Lotteries In Nigeria by Afam(m): 11:25am On May 27, 2010
The annoying thing was that MTN even copied or duplicated the exact same scam Zain was using, just changing content and prizes. Real shame.
Re: Federal Government Stops G S M Lotteries In Nigeria by tkb417(m): 11:27am On May 27, 2010
thank God

was thinking of sueing them grin grin grin
Re: Federal Government Stops G S M Lotteries In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:31pm On May 27, 2010
hmm MTN they opened headquarter in Ghana ! funny ppl grin
Re: Federal Government Stops G S M Lotteries In Nigeria by steaming(f): 12:40pm On May 27, 2010
Good riddance to bad bad rubbish! Fank God for this move, i appluad it a 100%.

marvix:

Hahahahah at least the govt has done something right, but y are we not calling for the sack of Ndukwe? Just me thinking aloud.

Ernest Ndukwe's tenure has expired, he is no longer the Executive Vice Chairman. Somebody is acting for now, not too sure of his name.
Re: Federal Government Stops G S M Lotteries In Nigeria by init4dmoni(m): 12:44pm On May 27, 2010
probably as a result of the ongoing lawsuit against mtn
Re: Federal Government Stops G S M Lotteries In Nigeria by steaming(f): 12:44pm On May 27, 2010
Engr Stephen Bello is the Acting EVC of NCC
Re: Federal Government Stops G S M Lotteries In Nigeria by evil666(m): 12:47pm On May 27, 2010
snowdrops:

Why must the first solution to apparently not so complicated problems be ban this ban that.

Bad english, who comprehends what you say?
Re: Federal Government Stops G S M Lotteries In Nigeria by keskule: 12:49pm On May 27, 2010
it is daylight robbery,especially from MTN,i remember sending text to 320 to play for who wants to be a zillionaire and i expected them to deduct =N=200 but i was  wrong because they sent another text afterwards that my text was acknowledged but i have to answer a simple question to qualify for the game proper,i did as i was told i answered the question and another =N= 200 was deducted,a few minutes later i receive another text that they require me to answer the final question to fully qualify for this week`s edition of the program,the mugu in me answered the new question with hopes building up (and another =N= 200 deducted,in about fifteen minutes from the time i answered the last question they (the yahoo-yahoo guys at MTN) sent me another question again as the entry question! lipsrsealed i almost smashed the phone on the wall,after collecting =N=600 naira from me,they still want more,at the end of the day they went to Ghana to build their west african headquarters,after raking billions of naira from our country
Re: Federal Government Stops G S M Lotteries In Nigeria by topkin(m): 12:52pm On May 27, 2010
Whew! At last some relief! It's a welcome development! It has always been a rip-off. . . . Oles!!! angry
Re: Federal Government Stops G S M Lotteries In Nigeria by ud4u: 12:55pm On May 27, 2010
Enough is enough

This action is long overdue, sometimes I use to wonder the type of money they gave to the FG that they can do anything they like all in the name of promotions and helping poor Nigerians when they will end up enriching themselves from the same poor masses. Dubious people.

What about Etisalat 1M dollar, OLE OLE
Re: Federal Government Stops G S M Lotteries In Nigeria by Ossaifamous(m): 1:06pm On May 27, 2010
The financial tactis of these communication syndicate is very fraudulent,
Just last month zain deducted my 95mb after just opening my facebook page and yahoo e mail and returned only 400 naira , and when I got there a computer record was showed to me implying that I never acquire 100mb which was untrue and so I had to drop the complaint,
Re: Federal Government Stops G S M Lotteries In Nigeria by hob(m): 1:15pm On May 27, 2010
all dese networks are desperados,
Re: Federal Government Stops G S M Lotteries In Nigeria by nazzyon(m): 1:19pm On May 27, 2010
Even shows like 'Who wants to be a millionaire' ought to be barned.

Imagine how much people loose on that show just to get to the hot seat?

And some may never get there.

Never attempted it and never will. I only watch that show to laugh with the winner and laugh at the looser.

I can bet my cash on it that over 500,000 people spend 200 naira each day just to call and answer questions.

While in every week people get to win less than 10,000,000.  I think the so called Baba Ijebu is even better than the program.
------

The Federal Government has more to do.
Re: Federal Government Stops G S M Lotteries In Nigeria by hardywaltz(m): 1:20pm On May 27, 2010
Nice one from FG.
Re: Federal Government Stops G S M Lotteries In Nigeria by babsmii(m): 1:28pm On May 27, 2010
who should be blamed now if not that u guys are greedy, why would you send the text? they sent you a text to enter into a promo, did they force you to reply
u won chop 100 milla without sweating? c dem complaining, GREEDY GREEDY!!!
Re: Federal Government Stops G S M Lotteries In Nigeria by hackney(m): 1:34pm On May 27, 2010
They have conned people and closed shop (ofcourse in liason with some agents in govt)
Re: Federal Government Stops G S M Lotteries In Nigeria by nazzyon(m): 1:42pm On May 27, 2010
Many people joined that band wagon of the HYIP's that scammed alot of people around 2007/2008 in Nigeria. Only God knows if the Federal Government will be able to pay them refunds.

When all that was happening I remained in NSE and was doing some petty online HYIP where I know that I can manage my loss.

It is just unfortunate that alot of people forget easily. If any scheme should emerge very few will give it a good thought before going for the kill.
Re: Federal Government Stops G S M Lotteries In Nigeria by myhouse: 1:46pm On May 27, 2010
ARE THEY GOING TO SHUT DOWN frank's who want to be a millionnaire?
Re: Federal Government Stops G S M Lotteries In Nigeria by nazzyon(m): 1:48pm On May 27, 2010
No news about that
Re: Federal Government Stops G S M Lotteries In Nigeria by tEsLim(m): 2:02pm On May 27, 2010
THank God! I hate those frustrating sms

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Kidnapped NTA Journalist Is Released / Calling Christians To Vote For Buhari In 2015 / WOULD YOU ALLOW YOUR WIFE TO DRESS LIKE THIS ON YOUR WEDDING DAY (PHOTO)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.