Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,915 members, 7,828,198 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 05:53 AM

Can Somebody Explain To Me How We Arrived At The Name "Jesus"? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Can Somebody Explain To Me How We Arrived At The Name "Jesus"? (3937 Views)

How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion / Why Did The Name Jesus Replace Yeshua / "His Name Is Not Jesus" - Daddy Freeze Condemns The Name 'Jesus' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can Somebody Explain To Me How We Arrived At The Name "Jesus"? by Nobody: 10:13pm On Jun 05, 2018
0temSapien:

First of all, I will paste one of the so-called prophecy here or you to see. Then please help me observe the embolden parts.

Isaiah 7 King James Version (KJV)

7 And it came to pass in the days of Ahaz the son of Jotham, the son of Uzziah, king of Judah, that Rezin the king of Syria, and Pekah the son of Remaliah, king of Israel, went up toward Jerusalem to war against it, but could not prevail against it.

2 And it was told the house of David, saying, Syria is confederate with Ephraim. And his heart was moved, and the heart of his people, as the trees of the wood are moved with the wind.

3 Then said the Lord unto Isaiah, Go forth now to meet Ahaz, thou, and Shearjashub thy son, at the end of the conduit of the upper pool in the highway of the fuller's field;

4 And say unto him, Take heed, and be quiet; fear not, neither be fainthearted for the two tails of these smoking firebrands, for the fierce anger of Rezin with Syria, and of the son of Remaliah.

[b] 5 Because Syria, Ephraim, and the son of Remaliah, have taken evil counsel against thee, saying,

6 Let us go up against Judah, and vex it, and let us make a breach therein for us, and set a king in the midst of it, even the son of Tabeal:

7 Thus saith the Lord God, It shall not stand, neither shall it come to pass.

8 For the head of Syria is Damascus, and the head of Damascus is Rezin; and within threescore and five years shall Ephraim be broken, that it be not a people.

9 And the head of Ephraim is Samaria, and the head of Samaria is Remaliah's son. If ye will not believe, surely ye shall not be established.

10 Moreover the Lord spake again unto Ahaz, saying,

11 Ask thee a sign of the Lord thy God; ask it either in the depth, or in the height above.

12 But Ahaz said, I will not ask, neither will I tempt the Lord.

13 And he said, Hear ye now, O house of David; Is it a small thing for you to weary men, but will ye weary my God also?

14 Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.

15 Butter and honey shall he eat, that he may know to refuse the evil, and choose the good.

16 For before the child shall know to refuse the evil, and choose the good, the land that thou abhorrest shall be forsaken of both her kings.[/b]

17 The Lord shall bring upon thee, and upon thy people, and upon thy father's house, days that have not come, from the day that Ephraim departed from Judah; even the king of Assyria.

18 And it shall come to pass in that day, that the Lord shall hiss for the fly that is in the uttermost part of the rivers of Egypt, and for the bee that is in the land of Assyria.

19 And they shall come, and shall rest all of them in the desolate valleys, and in the holes of the rocks, and upon all thorns, and upon all bushes.

20 In the same day shall the Lord shave with a razor that is hired, namely, by them beyond the river, by the king of Assyria, the head, and the hair of the feet: and it shall also consume the beard.

21 And it shall come to pass in that day, that a man shall nourish a young cow, and two sheep;

22 And it shall come to pass, for the abundance of milk that they shall give he shall eat butter: for butter and honey shall every one eat that is left in the land.

23 And it shall come to pass in that day, that every place shall be, where there were a thousand vines at a thousand silverlings, it shall even be for briers and thorns.

24 With arrows and with bows shall men come thither; because all the land shall become briers and thorns.

25 And on all hills that shall be digged with the mattock, there shall not come thither the fear of briers and thorns: but it shall be for the sending forth of oxen, and for the treading of lesser cattle.
what are you trying to make out of this?
Re: Can Somebody Explain To Me How We Arrived At The Name "Jesus"? by Nobody: 10:18pm On Jun 05, 2018
spartan117:

I just told you the truth of the matter in my previous post and I told you to focus on the person who is behind the name. Some call him jesus, others yeshua, a few others jesu among many other names.

God is not subject to the tongues of men he won't favor one language over another.

Focusing on what name to call him is not important, call him by the name you know him.

Call on him today and he will answer you!

Acts 2:21 And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved.

May the peace of the Lord Jesus Christ be with you amen.
first, you seem not to understand the origin of the name you pray to.

Second, you are trying to shy away from the fact that JESUS doesn't have any meaning in any language and you have failed to question that.

When the messiah was alive, was he called by the name "Yeshua" or "Jesus"? If he was called by the name " Yeshua", how then do you think he recognizes himself with the name Jesus and if he was called "Jesus" then you may have to tell us what Jesus means in Jew

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can Somebody Explain To Me How We Arrived At The Name "Jesus"? by 0temSapien: 10:20pm On Jun 05, 2018
nwabekeyi:
what are you trying to make out of this?
I have later explained what I meant. Pls check my previous post.
Re: Can Somebody Explain To Me How We Arrived At The Name "Jesus"? by vaxx: 10:22pm On Jun 05, 2018
MuttleyLaff:

We arrived at it, the same manner we arrived at having the following different forms/versions of the name Michael:

- Mikhail (Gorbachev)
- Micheal (Jackson/Bloomberg/Jordan/Caine/Douglas/Phelps/Owen/Spinks/Palin/Hutchence/Schumacher/Ibru)
- Mike (Tyson/Myers/Adenuga/Lazaridis/Pence),
- Mukaila (Sanyeri)
- Mikail
- Mihal
- Michelle (Obama/Pfeiffer/Bachelet/Gayle)

It dont matter, inasmuch as the variants of the name Yahashua, doesnt have unpleasant and/or offensive connotations of mockery

If people can call me all sorts of monikers, yet I somehow get to know about what I've been called in posts
and sometimes or not, reply back to the post mentioning me with a variant of my moniker,
then what's it to God, if He is called using a variant of the name Yahashua.
It's no biggie, as like God says: I know My sheep... I know them....

enilove, Butterflyleo and johnydon22, gave it impressive good stabs

vaxx, it's going to be long-winded explaining how we got to Jesus from Yahashua.
I think it was johnydon22, who gave hints about it without giving the further details (i.e. when and where he mentioned Joshua)
i will appreciate further explanation here.
Re: Can Somebody Explain To Me How We Arrived At The Name "Jesus"? by Nobody: 10:23pm On Jun 05, 2018
MuttleyLaff:

We arrived at it, the same manner we arrived at having the following different forms/versions of the name Michael:

- Mikhail (Gorbachev)
- Micheal (Jackson/Bloomberg/Jordan/Caine/Douglas/Phelps/Owen/Spinks/Palin/Hutchence/Schumacher/Ibru)
- Mike (Tyson/Myers/Adenuga/Lazaridis/Pence),
- Mukaila (Sanyeri)
- Mikail
- Mihal
- Michelle (Obama/Pfeiffer/Bachelet/Gayle)

It dont matter, inasmuch as the variants of the name Yahashua, doesnt have unpleasant and/or offensive connotations of mockery

If people can call me all sorts of monikers, yet I somehow get to know about what I've been called in posts
and sometimes or not, reply back to the post mentioning me with a variant of my moniker,
then what's it to God, if He is called using a variant of the name Yahashua.
It's no biggie, as like God says: I know My sheep... I know them....

enilove, Butterflyleo and johnydon22, gave it impressive good stabs

vaxx, it's going to be long-winded explaining how we got to Jesus from Yahashua.
I think it was johnydon22, who gave hints about it without giving the further details (i.e. when and where he mentioned Joshua)
so why can't you just pray in yahashua name instead of Jesus since we can now write the Messiah's name correctly in English with an accurate pronunciation?

I really I'm not comfortable with praying to an anglicized name when the original version is available unless there's a hidden story behind he emergence of the name Jesus that has made it so difficult for Christians start praying with yahushua.
Re: Can Somebody Explain To Me How We Arrived At The Name "Jesus"? by Nobody: 10:31pm On Jun 05, 2018
0temSapien:

First of all, I will paste one of the so-called prophecy here or you to see. Then please help me observe the embolden parts.

Isaiah 7 King James Version (KJV)

7 And it came to pass in the days of Ahaz the son of Jotham, the son of Uzziah, king of Judah, that Rezin the king of Syria, and Pekah the son of Remaliah, king of Israel, went up toward Jerusalem to war against it, but could not prevail against it.

2 And it was told the house of David, saying, Syria is confederate with Ephraim. And his heart was moved, and the heart of his people, as the trees of the wood are moved with the wind.

3 Then said the Lord unto Isaiah, Go forth now to meet Ahaz, thou, and Shearjashub thy son, at the end of the conduit of the upper pool in the highway of the fuller's field;

4 And say unto him, Take heed, and be quiet; fear not, neither be fainthearted for the two tails of these smoking firebrands, for the fierce anger of Rezin with Syria, and of the son of Remaliah.

5 Because Syria, Ephraim, and the son of Remaliah, have taken evil counsel against thee, saying,[b]

[b] 6 Let us go up against Judah, and vex it, and let us make a breach therein for us, and set a king in the midst of it, even the son of Tabeal:[b]

[b] 7 Thus saith the Lord God, It shall not stand, neither shall it come to pass.

8 For the head of Syria is Damascus, and the head of Damascus is Rezin; and within threescore and five years shall Ephraim be broken, that it be not a people.

9 And the head of Ephraim is Samaria, and the head of Samaria is Remaliah's son. If ye will not believe, surely ye shall not be established.

10 Moreover the Lord spake again unto Ahaz, saying,

11 Ask thee a sign of the Lord thy God; ask it either in the depth, or in the height above.

12 But Ahaz said, I will not ask, neither will I tempt the Lord.

13 And he said, Hear ye now, O house of David; Is it a small thing for you to weary men, but will ye weary my God also?

14 Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.

15 Butter and honey shall he eat, that he may know to refuse the evil, and choose the good.

16 For before the child shall know to refuse the evil, and choose the good, the land that thou abhorrest shall be forsaken of both her kings.

17 The Lord shall bring upon thee, and upon thy people, and upon thy father's house, days that have not come, from the day that Ephraim departed from Judah; even the king of Assyria.

18 And it shall come to pass in that day, that the Lord shall hiss for the fly that is in the uttermost part of the rivers of Egypt, and for the bee that is in the land of Assyria.

19 And they shall come, and shall rest all of them in the desolate valleys, and in the holes of the rocks, and upon all thorns, and upon all bushes.

20 In the same day shall the Lord shave with a razor that is hired, namely, by them beyond the river, by the king of Assyria, the head, and the hair of the feet: and it shall also consume the beard.

21 And it shall come to pass in that day, that a man shall nourish a young cow, and two sheep;

22 And it shall come to pass, for the abundance of milk that they shall give he shall eat butter: for butter and honey shall every one eat that is left in the land.

23 And it shall come to pass in that day, that every place shall be, where there were a thousand vines at a thousand silverlings, it shall even be for briers and thorns.

24 With arrows and with bows shall men come thither; because all the land shall become briers and thorns.

25 And on all hills that shall be digged with the mattock, there shall not come thither the fear of briers and thorns: but it shall be for the sending forth of oxen, and for the treading of lesser cattle.

Now according to the emboldened part, a king named Ahaz was threatened by the approaching of some kings to conquer his land. Isaiah asked him to ask for a sign. Then Isaiah declared that those kings threatening him will not conquer him. Isaiah said that a virgin will become pregnant and have a child that would be named Immanuel. Then before the child Immanuel will know his left from his right, the three Kings would have been destroyed.

Now how is it possible that the Immanuel Isaiah was talking about, who should have been born in the days of Isaiah and Ahaz, is now a supposed Jesus Christ? Does it mean that Jesus Christ was born in the days of Isaiah to fulfill the sign? Remember, it was supoosed to be a sign that Ahaz will defeat the three kings, therefore the virgin should have conceived and bear Immanuel in the days of Isaiah.

So it was bro Paul and co that unintelligently fabricate the story of Jesus in an attempt to make it look like a fulfillment to Isaiah's prophecy.
wow, I never knew this, butterflyleo and spartan117, what do you have to say to this?

1 Like

Re: Can Somebody Explain To Me How We Arrived At The Name "Jesus"? by Maamin(m): 10:38pm On Jun 05, 2018
Hebrew = YAHUshua, Yeshua or Joshua (Yoshua)

Aramaic = Eesoo' or Yeshu

Greek = Iesous

Latin = Iesus

Anglicised or English = Jesus

Meaning remains the same all through

'Yahweh is salvation' or 'Yahweh is Saviour'

Isaiah 43:11 "I, even I, am Yahweh and beside me there is no saviour"

Proverbs 18:10 " the name of the LORD(Yahweh) is a strong tower, the righteous run to it and are safe.

Shalom Aleikhem!
Re: Can Somebody Explain To Me How We Arrived At The Name "Jesus"? by spartan117(m): 10:44pm On Jun 05, 2018
nwabekeyi:
wow, I never knew this, butterflyleo and spartan117, what do you have to say to this?

Therefore the Lord Himself shall give you a sign: Behold, the young woman who is unmarried and a virgin shall conceive and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel [God with us]. Jeremiah 7:14

This is a prophecy. The word "shall" is futuristic it doesn't speak of the present meaning it didn't happen at that present time during the days of isaiah.

What you need is to accept jesus christ into your life so that you might be saved and find peace of mind.
When you do that you will have an inner peace and you will no longer feel the need to mock and criticize things that you cannot understand in your current state.

Acts 2:21 And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved.

It's not too late for you embarassed

2 Likes

Re: Can Somebody Explain To Me How We Arrived At The Name "Jesus"? by MuttleyLaff: 10:56pm On Jun 05, 2018
vaxx:
i will appreciate further explanation here.
vaxx, I will try and give a short version of the explanation after hearing your reply to this question:

Are you familiar with scripture or verses in the bible?
If you are, then I'll drop, say, two verses, that will give a penny drops moment and clear the matter up

vaxx, you see, the challenge we have, is that majority dont seem to appreciate that the New Testament is written in Greek
and the Greek language has its fair share of different sort of tenses.
People read the bible, ignoring the tenses, at their peril

nwabekeyi:
so why can't you just pray in yahashua name instead of Jesus since we can now write the Messiah's name correctly in English with an accurate pronunciation?
Now that you've relearned, there is nothing stopping you from starting to use Yahushua instead of Jesus, which "morphed" from Iesous

nwabekeyi:
I really I'm not comfortable with praying to an anglicized name when the original version is available unless there's a hidden story behind the emergence of the name Jesus that has made it so difficult for Christians start praying with yahushua
nwabekeyi, repeating, it dont matter, so long as the variants of the name Yahashua used, doesnt have unpleasant and/or offensive connotations of mockery

2 Likes

Re: Can Somebody Explain To Me How We Arrived At The Name "Jesus"? by 0temSapien: 11:00pm On Jun 05, 2018
spartan117:

Therefore the Lord Himself shall give you a sign: Behold, the young woman who is unmarried and a virgin shall conceive and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel [God with us]. Jeremiah 7:14

This is a prophecy. The word "shall" is futuristic it doesn't speak of the present meaning it didn't happen at that present time during the days of isaiah.

It's like you don't know the meaning of sign. A sign is something you have to see so that you will believe that something will happen in the future. According to that passage, the sign that Ahaz will defeat the kings is that a child named Immanuel would be born. That Immanuel have to be born, Ahaz must have to see that Immanuel before he can believe that the three kings will actually be defeated. So are you telling me that Immanuel(your supposed Jesus) was born in the days of Ahaz, then before that Immanuel knew his right from left, the kings were destroyed.

Now let me show you another passage of your bible to show you that sign is not something to happen in the future but in the present, so that someone can believe a prophecy:

Isaiah 38:7
7 And this shall be a sign unto thee from the Lord, that the Lord will do this thing that he hath spoken;
8 Behold, I will bring again the shadow of the degrees, which is gone down in the sun dial of Ahaz, ten degrees backward. So the sun returned ten degrees, by which degrees it was gone down.

Now let's bring the word 'sign' to normal English word. If you say that you are having a sign(symptoms) of Malaria, are you telling me that the signs are not there at present?
Re: Can Somebody Explain To Me How We Arrived At The Name "Jesus"? by spartan117(m): 11:03pm On Jun 05, 2018
0temSapien:

It's like you don't know the meaning of sign. A sign is something you have to see so that you will believe that something will happen in the future. According to that passage, the sign that Ahaz will defeat the kings is that a child named Immanuel would be born. That Immanuel have to be born, Ahaz must have to see that Immanuel before he can believe that the three kings will actually be defeated. So are you telling me that Immanuel(your supposed Jesus) was born in the days of Ahaz, then before that Immanuel knew his right from left, the kings were destroyed.

Now let me show you another passage of your bible to show you that sign is not something to happen in the future but in the present, so that someone can believe a prophecy:

Isaiah 38:7
7 And this shall be a sign unto thee from the Lord, that the Lord will do this thing that he hath spoken;
8 Behold, I will bring again the shadow of the degrees, which is gone down in the sun dial of Ahaz, ten degrees backward. So the sun returned ten degrees, by which degrees it was gone down.

Now let's bring the word 'sign' to normal English word. If you say that you are having a sign(symptoms) of Malaria, are you telling me that the signs are not there at present?
If I say a sign 'shall' happen it doesn't mean it must happen today it can take 2 days, 10 years or even a 1000 years, but it will certainly happen in the future that's common sense undecided

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can Somebody Explain To Me How We Arrived At The Name "Jesus"? by Nobody: 11:05pm On Jun 05, 2018
MuttleyLaff:
vaxx, I will try and give a short version of the explanation after hearing your reply to this question:

Are you familiar with scripture or verses in the bible?
If you are, then I'll drop, say, two verses, that will give a penny drops moment and clear the matter up

vaxx, you see, the challenge we have, is that majority dont seem to appreciate that the New Testament is written in Greek
and the Greek language has its fair share of different sort of tenses.
People read the bible, ignoring the tenses, at their peril

Now that you've relearned, there is nothing stopping you from starting to use Yahushua instead of Jesus, which "morphed" from Iesous

nwabekeyi, repeating, it dont matter, so long as the variants of the name Yahashua used, doesnt have unpleasant and/or offensive connotations of mockery
it does matter, because some school of thought suggests that the change in the name was intended to subtly lead us to another god from Greek origin and this claim is very substansive as the first Anglicization of "Yeshua" is of Greek origin.

What do you think about that?
Re: Can Somebody Explain To Me How We Arrived At The Name "Jesus"? by spartan117(m): 11:06pm On Jun 05, 2018
nwabekeyi:
it does matter, because some school of thought suggests that the change in the name was intended to subtly lead us to another god from Greek origin and this claim is very substansive as the first Anglicization of "Yeshua" is of Greek origin.

Accept jesus christ as your Lord and saviour first then you can worry about all that if you still find the need to.

3 Likes

Re: Can Somebody Explain To Me How We Arrived At The Name "Jesus"? by MuttleyLaff: 11:07pm On Jun 05, 2018
nwabekeyi:

Dont let anyone bamboozle with Zeus
The story behind the emergence of the name Jesus is simple, so simple, just as the message of the gospel is

4 Likes

Re: Can Somebody Explain To Me How We Arrived At The Name "Jesus"? by Maamin(m): 11:07pm On Jun 05, 2018
nwabekeyi:

I really I'm not comfortable with praying to an anglicized name when the original version is available unless there's a hidden story behind he emergence of the name Jesus that has made it so difficult for Christians start praying with yahushua.

Then also be sure to pray in the complete old Hebrew dialect that uses the variant 'Yahushua'

wink

1 Like

Re: Can Somebody Explain To Me How We Arrived At The Name "Jesus"? by Nobody: 11:09pm On Jun 05, 2018
spartan117:

If I say a sign 'shall' happen it doesn't mean it must happen today it can take 2 days, 10 years or even a 1000 years, but it will certainly happen in the future that's common sense undecided
you have a point, the revelation didn't specify timeframe and didn't categorically say that the kings will be destroyed, it said the kingdoms will be destroyed and this could happen long after the 3 kings are dead.

Now my concern is where it was recorded that the land of Aram and co were eventually shattered
Re: Can Somebody Explain To Me How We Arrived At The Name "Jesus"? by Nobody: 11:10pm On Jun 05, 2018
Maamin:

Then also be sure to pray in the complete old Hebrew dialect that uses the variant 'Yahushua'

wink
Yeshua is written in English alphabet and not Hebrew. It's just a direct translation from the Hebrew alphabet so your comment doesn't hold water
Re: Can Somebody Explain To Me How We Arrived At The Name "Jesus"? by Nobody: 11:13pm On Jun 05, 2018
MuttleyLaff:
Dont let anyone bamboozle with Zeus
The story behind the emergence of the name Jesus is simple, so simple, just as the message of the gospel is
so why do you think I should leave the Zeus story and adhere to yours?

Don't you think its wise to analyse both cases critically and outside religious belief before jumping into conclusion? After all, there nothing like Jesus in Jew and the name first appeared in Greek, there's a clear basis for the argument here.
Re: Can Somebody Explain To Me How We Arrived At The Name "Jesus"? by Nobody: 11:19pm On Jun 05, 2018
spartan117:

Accept jesus christ as your Lord and saviour first then you can worry about all that if you still find the need to.
I would love to, if I can get actual origin and the meaning of the name as it clearly doesn't mean anything in Jew, Greek, Latin or English language
Re: Can Somebody Explain To Me How We Arrived At The Name "Jesus"? by spartan117(m): 11:21pm On Jun 05, 2018
nwabekeyi:
you have a point, the revelation didn't specify timeframe and didn't categorically say that the kings will be destroyed, it said the kingdoms will be destroyed and this could happen long after the 3 kings are dead.

Now my concern is where it was recorded that the land of Aram and co were eventually shattered
Explaining scriptures to you will be of no consequence.
You haven't asked me this question in a bid to seek higher knowledge given that you don't have the ability to understand scriptures.

Why don't you have this ability?
2 Corinthians 3:6 Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.

It is because you lack the spirit of God so scriptures are mere 'letters' to you.

Now that 'concern' that you made mention of should be directed towards the salvation of your soul. Accept jesus christ today as your Lord and saviour it's not too late for you!

Hebrews 3:15 While it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts, as in the provocation.

2 Likes

Re: Can Somebody Explain To Me How We Arrived At The Name "Jesus"? by 0temSapien: 11:24pm On Jun 05, 2018
spartan117:

Read this passage again:

Did you observe the clause 'the lord shall give you a sign'?
It means that that lord will give you(Ahaz) a sign and that sign is that' A virgin shall conceive... '
Now if Ahaz didn't see that sign, how will that sign have meaning to him when he didn't see it. Remember, he was supposed to see the sign so that he could believe that the three kings will not overcome him.

Now let me compare this story with this analogy.
Someone comes to me and said, Otem, I have HIV and I am scared of dying. Then I tell the person, you can't die of the HIV. Then the person ssid, what is the assurance that I won't die of it? Then I said, I will show you a sign. Thiis the sign: in the year 5000, a tortoise will grow wing and fly. grin

The person will just be as confused as before because I haven't actually shown him a sign, since he would have died before the so-called sign will manifest. Relate it with the story of Isaiah, Ahaz and the supposed coming of Jesus. Does it make any sense.
Re: Can Somebody Explain To Me How We Arrived At The Name "Jesus"? by Nobody: 11:26pm On Jun 05, 2018
spartan117:

Explaining scriptures to you will be of no consequence.
You haven't asked me this question in a bid to seek higher knowledge given that you don't have the ability to understand scriptures.

Why don't you have this ability?
2 Corinthians 3:6 Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.

It is because you lack the spirit of God so scriptures are mere 'letters' to you.

Now that 'concern' that you made mention of should be directed towards the salvation of your soul. Accept jesus christ today as your Lord and saviour it's not too late for you!

Hebrews 3:15 While it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts, as in the provocation.
can you kindly spare us the sermon and quote the portion where the land of Aram and co were shattered? As long as its written in English language, I will read it sir

I'm not new to the holy spirit sermon when you guys don't have answers, it's a renowned way of shying away from answering pertinent questions and if you cannot convince anyone of us here about the origin of Jesus, how then do you want us to accept what we don't know where it came from?
Re: Can Somebody Explain To Me How We Arrived At The Name "Jesus"? by 0temSapien: 11:30pm On Jun 05, 2018
nwabekeyi:

You didn't get it. What is the sign that was shown to Ahaz then?
For example, please tell me if this statement makes senze:

Otem: Buhari will be re-elected in 2019
Nwabekeyi: What's the sign that he would be re-elected in 2019?
Otem: The sign that he would be re-elected in 2019 is that America will be colonised by Nigeria in year 5000.
Nwabekeyi: undecided

It's weird, isn't it? Signs should precede the actual happening you are predicting. It shouldn't come after it.
Re: Can Somebody Explain To Me How We Arrived At The Name "Jesus"? by spartan117(m): 11:33pm On Jun 05, 2018
0temSapien:

Read this passage again:

Did you observe the clause 'the lord shall give you a sign'?
It means that that lord will give you(Ahaz) a sign and that sign is that' A virgin shall conceive... '
Now if Ahaz didn't see that sign, how will that sign have meaning to him when he didn't see it. Remember, he was supposed to see the sign so that he could believe that the three kings will not overcome him.

Now let me compare this story with this analogy.
Someone comes to me and said, Otem, I have HIV and I am scared of dying. Then I tell the person, you can't die of the HIV. Then the person ssid, what is the assurance that I won't die of it? Then I said, I will show you a sign. Thiis the sign: in the year 5000, a tortoise will grow wing and fly. grin

The person will just be as confused as before because I haven't actually shown him a sign, since he would have died before the so-called sign will manifest. Relate it with the story of Isaiah, Ahaz and the supposed coming of Jesus. Does it make any sense.

"the Lord SHALL give you a sign"
why is it so hard for you to understand that this statement is futuristic

Oh I get it!:
You don't understand, why?
Because you can't understand, why?
Because you lack the ability to understand, why?
Because you lack the Holy Spirit, why?
Because you don't know him, why?
Because you haven't accepted jesus christ.

John 14:17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.
Re: Can Somebody Explain To Me How We Arrived At The Name "Jesus"? by Nobody: 11:34pm On Jun 05, 2018
spartan117:

I just told you the truth of the matter in my previous post and I told you to focus on the person who is behind the name. Some call him jesus, others yeshua, a few others jesu among many other names.

God is not subject to the tongues of men he won't favor one language over another.

Focusing on what name to call him is not important, call him by the name you know him.

Call on him today and he will answer you!

May the peace of the Lord Jesus Christ be with you amen.
Yeshua means Saviour

Jesus means nothing...

I think it makes more sense to even pray with the word "Savior" as it's the direct translation of Yeshua in English language rather than praying by a name that means nothing to any language on earth and was formulated years after the original Yeshua died

It really doesn't make sense that you guys call Jesus a language of the spirit, a name that was coined about 15centuries ago.
Re: Can Somebody Explain To Me How We Arrived At The Name "Jesus"? by 0temSapien: 11:36pm On Jun 05, 2018
spartan117:

"the Lord SHALL give you a sign"
why is it so hard for you to understand that this statement is futuristic

Oh I get it!:
You don't understand, why?
Because you can't understand, why?
Because you lack the ability to understand, why?
Because you lack the Holy Spirit, why?
Because you don't know him, why?
Because you haven't accepted jesus christ.

John 14:17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.
So it means Ahaz was alive from the book of Isaiah till the book of Matthew abi. Then your lord gave him the sign in the book of Matthew last last grin

Ahaz must be ancient of days for him to have lived for about 6 centuries in this homo sapiens era o shocked
Re: Can Somebody Explain To Me How We Arrived At The Name "Jesus"? by Nobody: 11:38pm On Jun 05, 2018
0temSapien:

You didn't get it. What is the sign that was shown to Ahaz then?
For example, please tell me if this statement makes senze:

Otem: Buhari will be re-elected in 2019
Nwabekeyi: What's the sign that he would be re-elected in 2019?
Otem: The sign that he would be re-elected in 2019 is that America will be colonised by Nigeria in year 5000.
Nwabekeyi: undecided

It's weird, isn't it? Signs should precede the actual happening you are predicting. It shouldn't come after it.
that's why I requested that he shows us where Aram and co was destroyed in the bible, this will give us a better understanding of the scenerio but it seems the dude doesn't even know the bible hence resorted to the words of the holy spirit.

We are taking about things written in English language, that even a primary 2 pupil will read and understand, he has started calling holy spirit for help
Re: Can Somebody Explain To Me How We Arrived At The Name "Jesus"? by spartan117(m): 11:40pm On Jun 05, 2018
nwabekeyi:
can you kindly spare us the sermon and quote the portion where the land of Aram and co were shattered? As long as its written in English language, I will read it sir

I'm not new to the holy spirit sermon when you guys don't have answers, it's a renowned way of shying away from answering pertinent questions and if you cannot convince anyone of us here about the origin of Jesus, how then do you want us to accept what we don't know where it came from?
I understand your point, but it's not up to me to convince you to believe in God, that's the job of the Holy Spirit.
And you can't understand the scriptures without him because he is the spirit of truth. So spending time to explain some deep things to you would be pointless except you have him in you.

The good news is that he wants to have a relationship with you and he is constantly and earnestly calling on all sinners(those who do not believe) to come home. If only you will accept him embarassed

John 16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.
Re: Can Somebody Explain To Me How We Arrived At The Name "Jesus"? by Maamin(m): 11:43pm On Jun 05, 2018
nwabekeyi:
Yeshua is written in English alphabet and not Hebrew. It's just a direct translation from the Hebrew alphabet so your comment doesn't hold water

You are funny, 'Yeshua' is in modern Hebrew 'Yahushua' is old hebrew.

Just like 'Yohannan' modern and 'Yehuchannan' old Hebrew.

Have you heard of the shepherdic and the Ashkenazi jews?
Re: Can Somebody Explain To Me How We Arrived At The Name "Jesus"? by Nobody: 11:45pm On Jun 05, 2018
spartan117:

I understand your point, but it's not up to me to convince you to believe in God, that's the job of the Holy Spirit.
And you can't understand the scriptures without him because he is the spirit of truth. So spending time to explain some deep things to you would be pointless except you have him in you.

The good news is that he wants to have a relationship with you and he is constantly and earnestly calling on all sinners(those who do not believe) to come home. If only you will accept him embarassed

John 16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.
do you know the portion of the Bible that narrated how the land of Aram and co were conquered?

Your holy spirit stuff is no longer sounding interesting just quote the passage, you don't know your Bible?

1 Like

Re: Can Somebody Explain To Me How We Arrived At The Name "Jesus"? by Nobody: 11:49pm On Jun 05, 2018
Maamin:

You are funny, 'Yeshua' is in modern Hebrew 'Yahushua' is old hebrew.

Just like 'Yohannan' modern and 'Yehuchannan' old Hebrew.

Have you heard of the shepherdic and the Ashkenazi jews?
I can see english alphabets in those words and not Hebrew alphebets, see Hebrew alphabets below

Re: Can Somebody Explain To Me How We Arrived At The Name "Jesus"? by spartan117(m): 12:07am On Jun 06, 2018
nwabekeyi:
do you know the portion of the Bible that narrated how the land of Aram and co were conquered?

Your holy spirit stuff is no longer sounding interesting just quote the passage, you don't know your Bible?
NIV:Again the Lord spoke to Ahaz,
NIV:“Ask the Lord your God for a sign, whether in the deepest depths or in the highest heights.”
NIV:But Ahaz said, “I will not ask; I will not put the Lord to the test.”
NIV:Then Isaiah said, “Hear now, you house of David! Is it not enough to try the patience of humans? Will you try the patience of my God also?
NIV:Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign: The virgin will conceive and give birth to a son, and will call him Immanuel.
As we can see from verse 12 king ahaz declined to ask God for a sign.
But God gave a sign, please note that the sign was not given just to ahaz but to the entire house of David.

And this prophecy was fulfilled at the birth of jesus and the house of David witnessed it, even though they didn't recognize it.

For before the child shall know [enough] to refuse the evil and choose the good, the land [Canaan] whose two kings you abhor and of whom you are in sickening dread shall be forsaken [both Ephraim and Syria] isaiah 7:16

These two Kingdoms Ephraim(israel) and Syria had already fallen to the Romans at the birth of jesus, so this prophecy was fulfilled.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Questions For Highly Intelligent Atheist, Agnostic And Critical Thinkers / 2019 Elections: Giving, Collecting Bribe To Vote Is Sin – Catholic Bishop / Warning : Review Of The Book The Final Quest By Rick Joyner - Read carefully

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 142
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.