Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,656 members, 7,820,290 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:36 PM

10 Facts About Volkswagen Beetle You Probably Never Knew - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 10 Facts About Volkswagen Beetle You Probably Never Knew (24201 Views)

Old 1966 Volkswagen Beetle Transformed By Nigerian Man (Photos) / Car Badge Acronyms You Probably Never Knew The Meaning Of / 12 Interesting Facts About The Pope Mobile You Probably Never Knew (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Facts About Volkswagen Beetle You Probably Never Knew by AutoJoshNG: 11:27pm On Jun 06, 2018

Popularly known as Ijapa (Tortoise) here in Nigeria, the Volkswagen Beetle was one of the most desired vehicle in its time.

How much do you really know about this vehicle, that made villagers envy and worship anyone who could afford it those days ?

Let’s find out some facts.

Adolf Hitler(yes, the same Hitler), played a role in the birth of the VW Beetle .He wanted a “people’s car” that German families could afford.

Hitler enlisted the services of Ferdinand Porsche (yup, the same Porsche you are thinking about ), to make this legendary machine.

The production of the VW Beetle spanned from 1938-2018 and a total of 21,529,464 were already built as at 2003 !!

Making it the longest produced vehicle in history!.

Just like Nigeria calls it “Ijapa” (Tortoise) almost every country has a nick name for it. In France they call it “Coccinelle” which means ladybug. Italy calls it Beetle but in their own language it’s “Maggiolino”. Bolivia calls it the “Peta”, which means turtle, and Indonesia uses “Kodak” (frog).

The VW Beetle was designed in 1925 by a 18 year old Hungarian student, Bela Barenyi.She is recognized for designing the basic foundations of this car.

The VW Beetle was originally called “Volkswagen Type 1”

According to Wikipedia, Volkswagen Beetle had just two assembly plants in Africa, one in South Africa(Uitenhage) and the other in Nigeria(Lagos)

The blue whale’s heart is about the size of a VW beetle.

In 1949 VW Beetle convertible was produced, in 1950 Beetle became the best-selling car of the decade with a market share of 40%.

The millionth Beetle was built in 1955.

Hope you added something to your library of facts.

Thanks for reading .And don’t forget to share.

By Donald3d

https://autojosh.com/11-facts-volkswagen-beetle-probably-never-knew/

27 Likes 7 Shares

Re: 10 Facts About Volkswagen Beetle You Probably Never Knew by vertueptime: 11:32pm On Jun 06, 2018
The only engine with two exhaust that isnt a v6 or v8

62 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 10 Facts About Volkswagen Beetle You Probably Never Knew by slowice(m): 11:33pm On Jun 06, 2018
shocked grin
Re: 10 Facts About Volkswagen Beetle You Probably Never Knew by CarGuideNG: 11:37pm On Jun 06, 2018

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Facts About Volkswagen Beetle You Probably Never Knew by Nobody: 11:51pm On Jun 06, 2018
Front page guaranteed even though it's copy and paste...

Everyone has multiple Moniker here on Nairaland. I'm sure lalasticlala alternative account is AutoJoshNg

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Facts About Volkswagen Beetle You Probably Never Knew by potent5(m): 12:30am On Jun 07, 2018
Heard the VW Beetle never summersaults in a crash, it could catch fire easily.
Re: 10 Facts About Volkswagen Beetle You Probably Never Knew by Nwaohafia1: 7:33am On Jun 07, 2018
My dad's first car. Powerful engine with no radiator

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Facts About Volkswagen Beetle You Probably Never Knew by Alvin007: 1:05pm On Jun 07, 2018
vertueptime:

Wrong sir! A friend of mine once used a Mazda 6 with a single pipe exhaust on both sides..the ride runs on an i4 engine.

13 Likes

Re: 10 Facts About Volkswagen Beetle You Probably Never Knew by IecheM(m): 1:28pm On Jun 07, 2018
Let me book space here,
Re: 10 Facts About Volkswagen Beetle You Probably Never Knew by AutoElectNG: 1:42pm On Jun 07, 2018
Emission scandal...Volkswagen is in the news but the software was written by Bosch!

In 2006, Volkswagen executives asked Bosch for help in developing software for their emission defeat devices. Volkswagen is one of Bosch's biggest customers. Volkswagen engineers provided detailed specifications to Bosch, which wrote the necessary code. Bosch was apparently concerned about the legality of software and asked Volkswagen to assume responsibility if the fraud was discovered, but Volkswagen refused.

On 1 February 2017, Bosch agreed to pay consumers in the United States $327.5 million as compensation for its role in devising the software.

Volkswagen knew it was wrong...see how they stylishly escaped legal liability....though they still paid a price...Robert Bosch GmbH had to pay a price as well.

Source: Wikipedia

Visit my VW thread, like and follow it https://www.nairaland.com/4515362/dealership-level-diagnostics-vw-group
Re: 10 Facts About Volkswagen Beetle You Probably Never Knew by vertueptime: 3:56pm On Jun 07, 2018
Alvin007:

Wrong sir! A friend of mine once used a Mazda 6 with a single pipe exhaust on both sides..the ride runs on an i4 engine.

Yh probably and most certainly customized, not follow come
Re: 10 Facts About Volkswagen Beetle You Probably Never Knew by Alvin007: 5:37pm On Jun 07, 2018
vertueptime:

Yh probably and most certainly customized, not follow come
It’s stock..from factory..it's the sport version...it has a ‘Y’ shaped back exhaust.
Re: 10 Facts About Volkswagen Beetle You Probably Never Knew by vertueptime: 1:49am On Jun 08, 2018
Alvin007:

It’s stock..from factory..it's the sport version...it has a ‘Y’ shaped back exhaust.

Im nt surprised,
Re: 10 Facts About Volkswagen Beetle You Probably Never Knew by Nobody: 2:46am On Jun 08, 2018
vertueptime:

This is patently false information.

The VW Beetle uses a boxer engine. The same boxer style engine is in all Subarus.

The Subaru WRX Sti uses a 4 cylinder boxer engine and has factory dual exhaust.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Facts About Volkswagen Beetle You Probably Never Knew by vertueptime: 8:00am On Jun 08, 2018
EgunMogaji:

This is patently false information.

The VW Beetle uses a boxer engine. The same boxer style engine is in all Subarus.

The Subaru WRX Sti uses a 4 cylinder boxer engine and has factory dual exhaust.

Yh very few and uncommon exceptions to the rule

1 Like

Re: 10 Facts About Volkswagen Beetle You Probably Never Knew by Nobody: 12:45pm On Jun 08, 2018
vertueptime:

Yh very few and uncommon exceptions to the rule

It’s quite common actually and not what you wrote here below:

vertueptime:

Someone also educated you about the Mazda but you still insisted that it must be aftermarket.

You could admit that you were wrong and learnt something new.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Facts About Volkswagen Beetle You Probably Never Knew by vertueptime: 1:49pm On Jun 08, 2018
EgunMogaji:

It’s quite common actually and not what you wrote here below:

Someone also educated you about the Mazda but you still insisted that it must be aftermarket.

You could admit that you were wrong and learnt something new.

I think u can read but can hardly comrehend, can u pls shut up.

1 Like

Re: 10 Facts About Volkswagen Beetle You Probably Never Knew by Nobody: 1:54pm On Jun 08, 2018
vertueptime:

I think u can read but can hardly comrehend, can u pls shut up.

Just as I suspected.

A total waste of time. You’ve been shown for what you really are.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Facts About Volkswagen Beetle You Probably Never Knew by vertueptime: 2:38pm On Jun 08, 2018
EgunMogaji:

Just as I suspected.

I dnt hv time to respond to an illiterate who reads nd never comprehends,park well olodo
Re: 10 Facts About Volkswagen Beetle You Probably Never Knew by vertueptime: 2:38pm On Jun 08, 2018
EgunMogaji:

Just as I suspected.

I dnt hv time to respond to an illiterate who reads nd never comprehends,park well olodo.
Re: 10 Facts About Volkswagen Beetle You Probably Never Knew by Nobody: 2:44pm On Jun 08, 2018
vertueptime:

I dnt hv time to respond to an illiterate who reads nd never comprehends,park well olodo.

I’ll let other’s judge our literacy by how we write.

I challenge you to write one complete and accurate sentence.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Facts About Volkswagen Beetle You Probably Never Knew by vertueptime: 4:18pm On Jun 08, 2018
EgunMogaji:

I’ll let other’s judge our literacy by how we write.

I challenge you to write one complete and accurate sentence.

Fool, for some one who cant read and understand ur der forming writing warrior, shift jor.
Re: 10 Facts About Volkswagen Beetle You Probably Never Knew by Nobody: 4:23pm On Jun 08, 2018
vertueptime:

Fool, for some one who cant read and understand ur der forming writing warrior, shift jor.

I thought you said that you were too busy? wink

My challenge still stands, write one coherent sentence. Just one.

The Mazda RX7 and RX8 have no cylinders, yes none, and they both use dual factory exhausts.

See your uneducated life outside now?

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Facts About Volkswagen Beetle You Probably Never Knew by vertueptime: 4:39pm On Jun 08, 2018
EgunMogaji:

I thought you said that you were too busy? wink

My challenge still stands, write one coherent sentence. Just one.

The Mazda RX7 and RX8 have no cylinders, yes none, and they both use dual factory exhausts.

See your uneducated life outside now?

Wen u learn to read and understand wat i wrote then il ans u,i wnt even bother going tru wat u posted, i dnt argue with retards, have a day that looks like u.
Re: 10 Facts About Volkswagen Beetle You Probably Never Knew by Nobody: 4:57pm On Jun 08, 2018
vertueptime:

Wen u learn to read and understand wat i wrote then il ans u,i wnt even bother going tru wat u posted, i dnt argue with retards, have a day that looks like u.

So you're not busy after all grin

My challenge still stands for you.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Facts About Volkswagen Beetle You Probably Never Knew by Dumdumfashion(f): 7:07am On Jun 09, 2018
The only thing I know about it is that I don't like it

1 Like

Re: 10 Facts About Volkswagen Beetle You Probably Never Knew by MANNABBQGRILLS: 7:08am On Jun 09, 2018
Good vehicle
Re: 10 Facts About Volkswagen Beetle You Probably Never Knew by maxiuc(m): 7:08am On Jun 09, 2018
cheesy
Re: 10 Facts About Volkswagen Beetle You Probably Never Knew by Alejoc(m): 7:11am On Jun 09, 2018
Evergreen,
Re: 10 Facts About Volkswagen Beetle You Probably Never Knew by xreal: 7:12am On Jun 09, 2018
Who got one of this for sale?

1 Like

Re: 10 Facts About Volkswagen Beetle You Probably Never Knew by azpekuliar: 7:19am On Jun 09, 2018
In addition, the very last production model of the type 1 rolled off a Brazilian production plant in 2003.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Burning Bus At Toll Gate 7up Going To BERGER / PAN Unveils New-generation Peugeot 3008 In Nigeria / 5 Annoying Things People Do With Their Phone In Danfo Buses

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.