Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,758 members, 7,824,178 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:04 AM

Chimamanda Adichie: "Men Holding The Door For Women Troubles Me" (Video) - Literature (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Chimamanda Adichie: "Men Holding The Door For Women Troubles Me" (Video) (31167 Views)

“I Don’t Want To Be Responsible For Traumatising Children” - Chimamanda Adichie / Chimamanda Adichie: I Was Sexually Harassed By Media Man Who Squeezed My Breast / Ivara Esege, Chimamanda Adichie's Husband, Pictured With Her Brother, Kene (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Men Holding The Door For Women Troubles Me" (Video) by Peterosky(m): 5:46pm On Jun 07, 2018
All this guys above spewing thrash self.So many men like being slaves to women.This Lady is simply saying that she doesn't like men opening door for her simply because she is a Lady and many foolish men here are abusing her for nothing. Now let me ask,how many men open doors for their wives if not girl friends? and even girl friends self,it must be a new catch otherwise you open your own door. For me, I appreciate her position.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Men Holding The Door For Women Troubles Me" (Video) by Agbalanze(m): 5:48pm On Jun 07, 2018
May God deliver our men from the hand of "daughters of chimamanda".
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Men Holding The Door For Women Troubles Me" (Video) by gmoni2(m): 5:48pm On Jun 07, 2018
HRHQueenPhil:
her opinion alone, not that of all women in general

This lady seems to have trouble with a lot of things including her very own self..
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Men Holding The Door For Women Troubles Me" (Video) by johnbuck81(m): 5:55pm On Jun 07, 2018
Lekan1o1:

Una go school at all..?
There is no time feminism means disrespecting ur husband or another man.
Why are Nigerian youths this dumb undecided cry
u are d dumb one here...believe it or not,women can't have equal rights with the opposite sex.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Men Holding The Door For Women Troubles Me" (Video) by johnbuck81(m): 5:57pm On Jun 07, 2018
bukatyne:

How does saying she has a problem with men holding doors for women equals she is forming James Bond?

If she said men MUST hold doors for women, some people will tag her as an entitled princess.

Besides, she is talking of a non-romantic relationship. I don't like men holding doors for women doesn't mean I don't like my husband to open the door for me.

Sighs.

@OP: I agree that we all should hold the doors for ourselves and do all other courteous things.

I am however indifferent towards whom men decide to open the doors for.

Na them get their hand.
ur just trying to sound like her...crazy.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Men Holding The Door For Women Troubles Me" (Video) by Speakdatruth: 5:57pm On Jun 07, 2018
Ofodirinwa:

did your grandfather do this nonsense for your grandmother?
carry your idiotic sef to one corner
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Men Holding The Door For Women Troubles Me" (Video) by Aystarz: 5:57pm On Jun 07, 2018
Follygunners:
Very true... Na the very ugly ones with all the fake, smelly and maggot-infested Brazilian / Spanish hair, bleached-the-fvck-out skin bleachers et al... that expect men to do that. Real women know better... Real women know that doesn't translate to love. cool

Jupiter Thunder fire all those ugly women expecting guys to hold door for them. May those doors be slammed on their fingers! angry angry angry

Hold the door man.... HODOR!!!!
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Men Holding The Door For Women Troubles Me" (Video) by Speakdatruth: 5:58pm On Jun 07, 2018
charain:

You don't get her message like most people including this blogger. This isn't about girlfriend or boyfriend. There is a foreign culture where men hold swinging doors(not car) for random women but won't do so for men. That is what she is against.
so you'd be comfortable for a woman to pull doors and chairs for you? because they want to do so?
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Men Holding The Door For Women Troubles Me" (Video) by nkemdi89(f): 6:02pm On Jun 07, 2018
No biggie after all I always open the door for my male boss, some men would do that at the first date, after that no more.

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Men Holding The Door For Women Troubles Me" (Video) by durasome(m): 6:03pm On Jun 07, 2018
talking trash
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Men Holding The Door For Women Troubles Me" (Video) by ElsonMorali: 6:03pm On Jun 07, 2018
pcguru1:

That's biological she's questioning the act which is right, let mW bust your head, if a woman punches you and you don't punch her back because she's a woman that's equally sexist too especially if you really want to punch her but because she's a woman, though the escape route for that argument is that you shouldn't be punching anyone.

I tried to picture that scenario it just wouldn't form in my head.

The only thing that came to me was maybe a gf punching my shoulders playfully.

When women fight you they don't punch. They use their Palms and claws.

If a woman tries to fight me I'll defend myself without hurting her if possible and if I have to hurt her to defend myself so be it.

There's no joy in beating up a woman.

If I open a door for my woman it's not because she's lame in the hand, its because it's a gesture that shows I care.

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Men Holding The Door For Women Troubles Me" (Video) by KK555: 6:05pm On Jun 07, 2018
Chimamanda is a fool.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Men Holding The Door For Women Troubles Me" (Video) by Himmler: 6:06pm On Jun 07, 2018
I agree with her, everyone should open the door by themselves unless they handicapped or incapable of doing so at the moment

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Men Holding The Door For Women Troubles Me" (Video) by GiantParrot(m): 6:09pm On Jun 07, 2018
Chimamanda's point here is that she has problems with things that could portray women as being less capable than they truly are. Women are capable adults in their own right. Not children. A fair point really.

There may be some evolutionary angle to the development of chivalry though. While it may appear inconsequential in matters like door holding, it is quite useful in the evacuation scenario. From the point of view of survival of species, men are more disposable than women. True, men and women are needed to preserve the existence of our species. However, they are not equally needed. Our species' population will potentially increase much faster in a society that has twice as many women as men, compared to a society that has twice as many men as women because women are the only gender capable of childbirth and a single man is naturally equipped to impregnate many women. Survival here is thought of as the ability to keep the human DNA from extinction. I doubt there's a better way to do so than to keep increasing the instances of the DNA (through childbirth) since life can't be stored. From a macro scale perspective, some aspects of chivalry may then have developed from the identified need to always ensure the safety of women, the only bearers of life. Quite practical in my opinion. With the advent of artificial wombs though, these ideas may become moot. Although I'm not quite sure how human female eggs can be made available in large quantities without the presence of women themselves. But we'll see how far technology will take us.

Back to the crux of Chimamanda's argument - women should be treated as capable adults in their own right. For the sake of consistency, I would love to see her rail against the preferential policies in favour of women that have become commonplace in the form of forced quotas in politics, educational institutions and employment. Such patronizing policies essentially imply that women are by their own merit alone incapable of outstanding achievements.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Men Holding The Door For Women Troubles Me" (Video) by Daeylar(f): 6:09pm On Jun 07, 2018
Even if she is fighting for men as long as the heading starts with "feminist chimamanda" her help will be rejected by some men, lol grin cheesy grin

What's really the big deal with what she said. You guys are just changing her message to suit what you want and then attacking her based on that and not what she originally said.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Men Holding The Door For Women Troubles Me" (Video) by ireneidiva(f): 6:09pm On Jun 07, 2018
johnbuck81:
I swear...this woman no know were dey pain
her.

women like this are so loyal to their husband indoors while they come out forming James Bond deceiving other women.
Where did she state that women should disrespect their husbands?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Men Holding The Door For Women Troubles Me" (Video) by shed1498(m): 6:11pm On Jun 07, 2018
Ellabae:
I think I like that. It's just part of being a gentleman cheesy
nice words Ella.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Men Holding The Door For Women Troubles Me" (Video) by aldexrio(m): 6:12pm On Jun 07, 2018
I rarely comment on posts like this but for this one I must comment. This woman's feminism is completely out of context. It has turned from campaigning for gender equality to hatred for men.
please auntie go and write another good novel so we can read and stop all this nonsense you are saying.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Men Holding The Door For Women Troubles Me" (Video) by bukatyne(f): 6:19pm On Jun 07, 2018
johnbuck81:
ur just trying to sound like her...crazy.

I am trying to sound like Chiamanda in my post?

We.seriously need a comprehension tutor on NL and it cuts across several posts I have read here.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Men Holding The Door For Women Troubles Me" (Video) by Nobody: 6:19pm On Jun 07, 2018
That's why i hate chimamanda....... Her hypocrisy is on another level.... If any girl come near my side forming feminist, i s.w.e.a.r she will chop D.i.c.k. Nigeria is so cursed with some bunch of rude arrogant gender called women..... I dunno if it is their uncircumcised clitori.s that is causing all this rubbi.sh.... They will use feminism and cover up their bad attitude towards Gold digging... blood su.cking women... I cant maried any nigerian lady even if they re the last women remaining on earth...... Instead i rather become a priest..... They cant even make a phone conversation properly or they cant chat properly with an opposite gender without asking for money....if it is not give me this money, it is give me that money.....if u dont give them they will starve you with chat... I see them all as beggars... The dots on every of my sentences was intentionally put there... Incase of itk dem
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Men Holding The Door For Women Troubles Me" (Video) by bukatyne(f): 6:21pm On Jun 07, 2018
aldexrio:
I rarely comment on posts like this but for this one I must comment. This woman's feminism is completely out of context. It has turned from campaigning for gender equality to hatred for men.
please auntie go and write another good novel so we can read and stop all this nonsense you are saying.

I found this funny.

Permit me to laugh: Hahahahahahahahahahahaha.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Men Holding The Door For Women Troubles Me" (Video) by Nobody: 6:23pm On Jun 07, 2018
ElsonMorali:

I tried to picture that scenario it just wouldn't form in my head.

The only thing that came to me was maybe a gf punching my shoulders playfully.

When women fight you they don't punch. They use their Palms and claws.

If a woman tries to fight me I'll defend myself without hurting her if possible and if I have to hurt her to defend myself so be it.

There's no joy in beating up a woman.

If I open a door for my woman it's not because she's lame in the hand, its because it's a gesture that shows I care.

Exactly anyway there will always be something to offend a feminist
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Men Holding The Door For Women Troubles Me" (Video) by pocohantas(f): 6:24pm On Jun 07, 2018
tmosco:

It should be a gender thing along with anyone that needs help. The fact is that no woman wants her husband to be treating her the way he treats his guys. It not everyone u are nice too, we are human. It just like a rich man to spend his money on everyone becoz it is d humane tin to do. Asking people to not do something unless dey do it for everyone is stupid and unreasonable. First starts small then graduate to d next level.

Dear, did you watch the video?
Let's not stress ourselves, did you?
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Men Holding The Door For Women Troubles Me" (Video) by Ellabae(f): 6:27pm On Jun 07, 2018
shed1498:

nice words Ella.
Thanks boss
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Men Holding The Door For Women Troubles Me" (Video) by baum1: 6:30pm On Jun 07, 2018
GiantParrot:
Chimamanda's point here is that she has problems with things that could portray women as being less capable than they truly are. Women are capable adults in their own right. Not children. A fair point really.

There may be some evolutionary angle to the development of chivalry though. While it may appear inconsequential in matters like door holding, it is quite useful in the evacuation scenario. From the point of view of survival of species, men are more disposable than women. True, men and women are needed to preserve the existence of our species. However, they are not equally needed. Our species' population will potentially increase much faster in a society that has twice as many women as men, compared to a society that has twice as many men as women because women are the only gender capable of childbirth and a single man is naturally equipped to impregnate many women. Survival here is thought of as the ability to keep the human DNA from extinction. I doubt there's a better way to do so than to keep increasing the instances of the DNA (through childbirth) since life can't be stored. From a macro scale perspective, some aspects of chivalry may then have developed from the identified need to always ensure the safety of women, the only bearers of life. Quite practical in my opinion. With the advent of artificial wombs though, these ideas may become moot. Although I'm not quite sure how human female eggs can be made available in large quantities without the presence of women themselves. But we'll see how far technology will take us.

Back to the crux of Chimamanda's argument - women should be treated as capable adults in their own right. For the sake of consistency, I would love to see her rail against the preferential policies in favour of women that have become commonplace in the form of forced quotas in politics, educational institutions and employment. Such patronizing policies essentially imply that women are by their own merit alone incapable of outstanding achievements.

Nice argument, especially last paragraph. But it will be said that they are doing catching up with those policies because they have been subdued and stifled for too long, i.e. balancing the inequality which rode on the back of unfairness to the female folks hundreds of years ago..Lol. And the argument could sound plausible.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Men Holding The Door For Women Troubles Me" (Video) by ElsonMorali: 6:30pm On Jun 07, 2018
pcguru1:

Exactly anyway there will always be something to offend a feminist

True talk.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Men Holding The Door For Women Troubles Me" (Video) by Nobody: 6:37pm On Jun 07, 2018
Leave nairaland and the patriarchal posters/moderators, they can do anything for cheap likes and traffic

pocohantas:
Sensational headline!

She said holding doors shouldn't be a gender thing. We should hold doors for each other, or anyone that needs such help...not just because she is a woman!

She went on to add that, in the event of danger---the first set of people to be evacuated should be those that are weak/unwell. Not only women and children.

Protect those that need protection, irrespective of their gender.

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Men Holding The Door For Women Troubles Me" (Video) by johnbuck81(m): 6:43pm On Jun 07, 2018
bukatyne:

I am trying to sound like Chiamanda in my post?

We.seriously need a comprehension tutor on NL and it cuts across several posts I have read here.
i guess u'll need it most.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Men Holding The Door For Women Troubles Me" (Video) by johnbuck81(m): 6:46pm On Jun 07, 2018
ireneidiva:

Where did she state that women should disrespect their husbands?
offcourse...claiming equal rights with ur husband is disrespect.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Men Holding The Door For Women Troubles Me" (Video) by Nobody: 6:46pm On Jun 07, 2018
hmm what a whorish statement, men hold doors for real women not feminist hoes.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Men Holding The Door For Women Troubles Me" (Video) by tmosco(m): 6:46pm On Jun 07, 2018
pocohantas:

Dear, did you watch the video?
Let's not stress ourselves, did you?

Sure, I did. Most men open doors for women because it make them feel special, women on d average are more emotional and appreciate kind gesture compared to men, that why we do it as a courtesy not because dey are weak. Having a problem because of dis is just making a mountain out of a molehill.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Men Holding The Door For Women Troubles Me" (Video) by Bonapart(m): 6:52pm On Jun 07, 2018
pocohantas:
Sensational headline!

She said holding doors shouldn't be a gender thing. We should hold doors for each other, or anyone that needs such help...not just because she is a woman!

She went on to add that, in the event of danger---the first set of people to be evacuated should be those that are weak/unwell. Not only women and children.

Protect those that need protection, irrespective of their gender.

shut up

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

New Story: 'anini Reloaded' By Ayis Eliboy / Most Popular Nigerian Authors On Amazon Books / Mention Book(s) You Read That Shape Your Life!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.