Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,492 members, 7,830,481 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 11:10 PM

Ovonramwen Nogbaisi: The Oba Of Benin Conquered And Exiled To Calabar By British - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ovonramwen Nogbaisi: The Oba Of Benin Conquered And Exiled To Calabar By British (32161 Views)

The Power The Oba Of Benin Wield In The Past / Restrictions Of Movement Around the Oba of Benin Palace? / 'Ososomaye' Juju Used By The Oba Of Benin, Ewuare, To Revoke Curses (Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ovonramwen Nogbaisi: The Oba Of Benin Conquered And Exiled To Calabar By British by walosky(m): 10:09pm On Jun 07, 2018
See as the Oba resemble Monday Osumbor
Re: Ovonramwen Nogbaisi: The Oba Of Benin Conquered And Exiled To Calabar By British by cyrilamx(m): 10:12pm On Jun 07, 2018
PierreAbutu:

...one of the strongest empire that was bullied and defeated by IGALAS in a tribal war....smh

POWER PASS POWER
Don't come here and lie. igalas wanted to invade Benin kingdom during the reign of Oba Esigie, but was repelled by Queen Idia's army and chased back to igala. when the igalas saw defeat brutally imminent, the Attah of igala had no choice than offer his daughter as holocaust to the gods to help stop the Benin invading army. Go and read before trying to change history .
Re: Ovonramwen Nogbaisi: The Oba Of Benin Conquered And Exiled To Calabar By British by Essential(m): 10:13pm On Jun 07, 2018
XaintJoel20:
This write up is lopsided and has no bearing with the truth...

Please do a better research next time in order to give facts.

Note: I am a full blooded Edo man.

what are u disputing in the story? there are some fact in the story. it's a story that can be told in different ways. what people you know is that Benin kingdom was invaded and the binis stood their ground against the might British empire.
Re: Ovonramwen Nogbaisi: The Oba Of Benin Conquered And Exiled To Calabar By British by abokikhalifa: 10:22pm On Jun 07, 2018
Paperwhite:
But histroy have it that the Benin empire was one of the strongest then Meanwhile Afonja ignorantly offered his own Ilorin to Alimi & his descendant.Oluwo of Iwo is also towing the same line now.

Hmmm. Where did you get your history from?
Re: Ovonramwen Nogbaisi: The Oba Of Benin Conquered And Exiled To Calabar By British by Nobody: 10:23pm On Jun 07, 2018
ehissi:
This guy is the Oba of Oba's.....as far as I am concerned cool

As scruffy as he is?

OK bow down and worship him then. . . . .

seuncyber:
Oba no they go transfer

This one enter life transfer go Calabar.

Benin people need to sit down small, see as less than 100 soldiers humble them with superior arms & ammunition. So much for Edo Jujugrin

1 Like

Re: Ovonramwen Nogbaisi: The Oba Of Benin Conquered And Exiled To Calabar By British by grandstar(m): 10:28pm On Jun 07, 2018
helpishere:

When the king of Babylon came to Jerusalem and burnt it, including the temple and the king's house, and carted awsy all the artefacts and took the king into exile, where was the God of Israel?

He ordained it. That's why the bible even gave an account

1 Like

Re: Ovonramwen Nogbaisi: The Oba Of Benin Conquered And Exiled To Calabar By British by Eagba(m): 10:31pm On Jun 07, 2018
XaintJoel20:
This write up is lopsided and has no bearing with the truth...

Please do a better research next time in order to give facts.

Note: I am a full blooded Edo man.
what's the truth?
Re: Ovonramwen Nogbaisi: The Oba Of Benin Conquered And Exiled To Calabar By British by xanie: 10:47pm On Jun 07, 2018
It must have been a long walk from Benin to Calabar.
Re: Ovonramwen Nogbaisi: The Oba Of Benin Conquered And Exiled To Calabar By British by mr1759: 10:48pm On Jun 07, 2018
LolaCole1:
nzuzu na enye nsogbu gi ogbo just so you get it clearly. Omo ale grin

well, as an elderly man like me I forgive u all your sin , u should have told me you needed attention from a fine boy like me.
well I can't show u love now just wait a little
Re: Ovonramwen Nogbaisi: The Oba Of Benin Conquered And Exiled To Calabar By British by PierreAbutu(m): 10:48pm On Jun 07, 2018
cyrilamx:
Don't come here and lie. igalas wanted to invade Benin kingdom during the reign of Oba Esigie, but was repelled by Queen Idia's army and chased back to igala. when the igalas saw defeat brutally imminent, the Attah of igala had no choice than offer his daughter as holocaust to the gods to help stop the Benin invading army. Go and read before trying to change history .

You go and read history of both tribes and empires well before coming to seek cheap relevance....when you've done that, I'll converse with you
Re: Ovonramwen Nogbaisi: The Oba Of Benin Conquered And Exiled To Calabar By British by Youngjohnosas: 10:50pm On Jun 07, 2018
abokikhalifa:

Hmmm. Where did you get your history from?
seriously dat guy is drunk.
Re: Ovonramwen Nogbaisi: The Oba Of Benin Conquered And Exiled To Calabar By British by mr1759: 10:53pm On Jun 07, 2018
GidiWoodsMan:

As scruffy as he is?

Benin people need to sit down small, see as less than 100 soldiers humble them with superior arms & ammunition. So much for Edo Jujugrin

from record it was actually 1200 British battalion with some locally recruited men from up Northern Nigeria that fought the war against Edo people
Re: Ovonramwen Nogbaisi: The Oba Of Benin Conquered And Exiled To Calabar By British by Youngjohnosas: 10:59pm On Jun 07, 2018
PierreAbutu:

You go and read history of both tribes and empires well before coming to seek cheap relevance....when you've done that, I'll converse with you
.the 1515/1516 Benin igala tribal war the igalas never won the war although the igalas were fierce fighters at that time.the binis fought back gallantly also with the aid of the Portuguese mercenaries. they both had a mutual agreement to end the war.the Binis were never defeated,after that d Benin empire kept gaining prominence conquering territories why the igalas went the other way round.
Re: Ovonramwen Nogbaisi: The Oba Of Benin Conquered And Exiled To Calabar By British by Youngjohnosas: 11:10pm On Jun 07, 2018
GidiWoodsMan:

As scruffy as he is?

go read ur books the Britons attacked Benin with 1200 military personnel and the bini empire gave them a good run for their money. we never saw them as our God. the binis fought gallantly for nine days,it could ave been more save for d few betrayers that sold the empire out to the white.here u r reading d history on nairaland yet u ave nothing to write home about ur kingdom
Re: Ovonramwen Nogbaisi: The Oba Of Benin Conquered And Exiled To Calabar By British by Youngjohnosas: 11:21pm On Jun 07, 2018
Paperwhite:
We don't have emirs in our regions.
u don't have history,i am sure ur kingdom was under d power of the bini empire before the British entered Benin. ur forefathers were weaklings that's why history forgot about them. they were just playing d subject role ND I am quite sure a large number of them were sold into slavery.
Re: Ovonramwen Nogbaisi: The Oba Of Benin Conquered And Exiled To Calabar By British by lululiscious(f): 11:30pm On Jun 07, 2018
lordm:
who ask you?

I expected this exact question even before I opened it. Oya no vex. It's Buhari that caused me to bẹ
Re: Ovonramwen Nogbaisi: The Oba Of Benin Conquered And Exiled To Calabar By British by Youngjohnosas: 11:39pm On Jun 07, 2018
RoyalPriesthuud:
Or maybe Juju's power has been exaggerated by Nollywood and our lying uncles?
the whites had heavy casualties alot of the British commanders at the vanguard of the expedition did not go home alive. the head of general Philip was seen hanging in the palace when the British finally took over Benin.
Re: Ovonramwen Nogbaisi: The Oba Of Benin Conquered And Exiled To Calabar By British by Youngjohnosas: 12:02am On Jun 08, 2018
irepnaija4eva:
My own is where were the so called deities when their land were invaded by the white man? angry angry angry.

A whole oba the chief custodian of the land was banished by a foreigner neither the god of thunder or fire not even the village people (witches and wizard) could save him and themselves.
They even went to the shrines and stole most of the sacred artifacts yet nothing happened. No records of any white men going mad or been struck by lightening.....But if na osas or Kufre manage somehow borrow(thief) yams or goat due to hunger,them gods go dey flex muscles abi them dey fear white man face ni?

Infact thunder fire them der angry angry angry....

Nonsence.
the British attached Benin with a military strength of 1200 Britons ND 5000 local fighters recruited from the north, lagos and other areas already under the control of the British government. the binis fought gallantly for nine days it could have been more save for d Betrayers who ignorantly sold the empire out.the king was never captured he willingly turned himself in. A lot of generals who were at d vanguard of the expedition didn't go home alive.the British recorded heavy casualties, the head of general Philip was found hanging in the palace .General moor who personally tried ND exiled the Oba died in 1909 even before the Oba.He committed suicide by poison after going insane.
Re: Ovonramwen Nogbaisi: The Oba Of Benin Conquered And Exiled To Calabar By British by MrRichmond: 1:04am On Jun 08, 2018
Youngjohnosas:
the British attached Benin with a military strength of 1200 Britons ND 5000 local fighters recruited from the north, lagos and other areas already under the control of the British government. the binis fought gallantly for nine days it could have been more save for d Betrayers who ignorantly sold the empire out.the king was never captured he willingly turned himself in. A lot of generals who were at d vanguard of the expedition didn't go home alive.the British recorded heavy casualties, the head of general Philip was found hanging in the palace .General moor who personally tried ND exiled the Oba died in 1909 even before the Oba.He committed suicide by poison after going insane.

head of general Phillip was seen hanging in the palace??
you mean he killed himself or his head was floating in mid air...
cause if it was the latter, then that jazz must be powerful o
Re: Ovonramwen Nogbaisi: The Oba Of Benin Conquered And Exiled To Calabar By British by EazyMoh(m): 1:40am On Jun 08, 2018
thatigboman:
they were very reasonable. I can't judge yesterday's events with today's realities
Smh reasonable in what standard? This event was mere a hundred years ago, When many conquerors have banned burning towns for over a thousand years!
Re: Ovonramwen Nogbaisi: The Oba Of Benin Conquered And Exiled To Calabar By British by EazyMoh(m): 2:19am On Jun 08, 2018
mr1759:

from record it was actually 1200 British battalion with some locally recruited men from up Northern Nigeria that fought the war against Edo people
OMG! When did the brits circumvent Benin Kingdom to go up north and recruit foot soldiers?
Re: Ovonramwen Nogbaisi: The Oba Of Benin Conquered And Exiled To Calabar By British by DSDLIVEREPORT: 2:56am On Jun 08, 2018
nowpresence:
why does the oba look like a drunk

I think you have no respect.
Re: Ovonramwen Nogbaisi: The Oba Of Benin Conquered And Exiled To Calabar By British by DSDLIVEREPORT: 2:58am On Jun 08, 2018
I wish it can replay itself make.all Edo boys come match them fire for fire. May the Oba's soul rest in Peace. He wasn't a sell out
Re: Ovonramwen Nogbaisi: The Oba Of Benin Conquered And Exiled To Calabar By British by davidnazee: 3:34am On Jun 08, 2018
PierreAbutu:

Oga, I never called IGALA an empire

IGALA is a tribe...that once defeated the Benin empire
Look for an elder from Benin Kingdom, sit down and converse with him and he'll confirm what I'm saying if he's honest

Igala defeated Benin once and in return Benin turned Igala into a vassal state.. It became a Benin subject paying annual tribute.
Anyways I guess ur tribe have no history or heritage as rich as Benin's..
Re: Ovonramwen Nogbaisi: The Oba Of Benin Conquered And Exiled To Calabar By British by davidnazee: 3:42am On Jun 08, 2018
EazyMoh:

OMG! When did the brits circumvent Benin Kingdom to go up north and recruit foot soldiers?

Are u a Nigerian or didnt u study history 101 in school to know that the British already had Hausas and Yorubas enlisted in its army it used in conquering all of Nigeria? Well maybe ur tribe surrendered to the Brits without a fight so you won't understand..
Re: Ovonramwen Nogbaisi: The Oba Of Benin Conquered And Exiled To Calabar By British by Nobody: 4:00am On Jun 08, 2018
oshe11:
EDO has One of the Richest Culture and Tradition in Africa

Whites love their tales ALOT

PS: Not from Edo

especially their women.

1 Like

Re: Ovonramwen Nogbaisi: The Oba Of Benin Conquered And Exiled To Calabar By British by Youngjohnosas: 6:19am On Jun 08, 2018
MrRichmond:

head of general Phillip was seen hanging in the palace??
you mean he killed himself or his head was floating in mid air...
cause if it was the latter, then that jazz must be powerful o
he led d first party that wanted to overrun Benin empire they were ambushed by Bini forces and all killed except two that managed to escape.His body was decapitated and his head taken to the palace. many also died from strange illness during the war.

1 Like

Re: Ovonramwen Nogbaisi: The Oba Of Benin Conquered And Exiled To Calabar By British by Youngjohnosas: 6:26am On Jun 08, 2018
EazyMoh:

as a matter of fact over 5000 local personnel were brought to Benin.
Re: Ovonramwen Nogbaisi: The Oba Of Benin Conquered And Exiled To Calabar By British by Kingzy4pep(m): 6:32am On Jun 08, 2018
It has a movie, "The Invasion".
Re: Ovonramwen Nogbaisi: The Oba Of Benin Conquered And Exiled To Calabar By British by LorDBolton(m): 7:21am On Jun 08, 2018
oshe11:
EDO has One of the Richest Culture and Tradition in Africa

Whites love their tales ALOT

PS: Not from Edo

Fear the white man... there is no Edo , it's Benin Kingdom comprising parts of ondo, lagos down to anambra.

they scatter everything, reassigned identities even today the ishans now claim independence from benin

Fear the white man.

And never trust the igbos, they were used in the expedition
Re: Ovonramwen Nogbaisi: The Oba Of Benin Conquered And Exiled To Calabar By British by ridge: 7:42am On Jun 08, 2018
DSDLIVEREPORT:
I wish it can replay itself make.all Edo boys come match them fire for fire. May the Oba's soul rest in Peace. He wasn't a sell out

Wetin this one dey talk, imagine in 2018 Benin kingdom vs the British lipsrsealed lipsrsealed cool shocked shocked undecided
Re: Ovonramwen Nogbaisi: The Oba Of Benin Conquered And Exiled To Calabar By British by letu(m): 7:45am On Jun 08, 2018
irepnaija4eva:
My own is where were the so called deities when their land were invaded by the white man? angry angry angry.

A whole oba the chief custodian of the land was banished by a foreigner neither the god of thunder or fire not even the village people (witches and wizard) could save him and themselves.
They even went to the shrines and stole most of the sacred artifacts yet nothing happened. No records of any white men going mad or been struck by lightening.....But if na osas or Kufre manage somehow borrow(thief) yams or goat due to hunger,them gods go dey flex muscles abi them dey fear white man face ni?

Infact thunder fire them der angry angry angry....

Nonsence.
There are some mystical things around the white men and their society they even have a mystical fraternity that is popular and is known as Freemasons,this fraternity is very old and yes the oyibos get their own juju just forget about the Christianity thing they brought.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Why Are Most People Guilty Of This? / Ooni Ogunwusi Unveils Logo Of The Yoruba Cultural Carnival Worldwide / Oba Charles Ibitoye Is Dead (Olomu Of Omu-Aran)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.