Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,339 members, 7,815,675 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:21 PM

Has Generator Been In Use In Nigeria Since 1988 ? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Has Generator Been In Use In Nigeria Since 1988 ? (858 Views)

FFK, Reno Omokri, Wike, 7 Others Top Opposition Voices In Nigeria Since 2015 / Oluwole Owolabi: You Chased Me Out Of Nigeria Since 1986 Nothing Has Changed / Bianca Ojukwu As The Most Beautiful Girl In Nigeria In 1988 (Throwback Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Has Generator Been In Use In Nigeria Since 1988 ? by AdemolaA2: 10:22pm On Jun 09, 2018
Hello House , I don’t know if this is the right section to post this but we have been in an argument here because someone told us they had a generator in their house as early as 1988 . I doubt if this is true though as I never believed Nigeria has been suffering from epileptic power supply since that time till the extent that generating sets have been in use from that time till now .
Please ,help me shed more lights on this ..thanks
Re: Has Generator Been In Use In Nigeria Since 1988 ? by greatnaija01: 10:24pm On Jun 09, 2018
Pls find something better to invest your TIME and DATA on.

Whatever the answer to your question here, IT WON'T HELP YOU OR ANYONE.

AdemolaA2:
Hello House , I don’t know if this is the right section to post this but we have been in an argument here because someone told us they had a generator in their house as early as 1988 . I doubt if this is true though as I never believed Nigeria has been suffering from epileptic power supply since that time till the extent that generating sets have been in use from that time till now .
Please ,help me shed more lights on this ..thanks

1 Like

Re: Has Generator Been In Use In Nigeria Since 1988 ? by HAH: 10:35pm On Jun 09, 2018
I am in my mid forties and can tell you for free that even 1980 there were generators .

1988 was middle of ibb government when thing were really getting bad, as a matter of fact thing were relatively OK during shagari regime but since the military took over things became worst.

Power generation in the eighties was not much but our demand was also not high, there were power cuts but sometimes you can stay 48hrs before you see it so people don't really bother buying generators but as things worsened largely due to increase in population and demand for power increased as everyone has tv, AC,fridge, etc . but you will still see some elites houses with generator

1 Like

Re: Has Generator Been In Use In Nigeria Since 1988 ? by AdemolaA2: 10:43pm On Jun 09, 2018
[quote author=greatnaija01 post=68334505]Pls find something better to invest your TIME and DATA on.

Whatever the answer to your question here, IT WON'T HELP YOU OR ANYONE.

Hello gentle man , don’t get yourself worked up unnecessarily..laugh it off and educate us if you can and if you can’t ,kindly keep walking ... cheers!!!
Re: Has Generator Been In Use In Nigeria Since 1988 ? by AdemolaA2: 10:44pm On Jun 09, 2018
HAH:
I am in my mid forties and can tell you for free that even 1980 there were generators .

1988 was middle of ibb government when thing were really getting bad, as a matter of fact thing were relatively OK during shagari regime but since the military took over things became worst.

Power generation in the eighties was not much but our demand was also not high, there were power cuts but sometimes you can stay 48hrs before you see it so people don't really bother buying generators but as things worsened largely due to increase in population and demand for power increased as everyone has tv, AC,fridge, etc . but you will still see some elites houses with generator

Thanks so much Sir for this enlightenment . Noted !!!
Re: Has Generator Been In Use In Nigeria Since 1988 ? by Malawian(m): 11:27pm On Jun 09, 2018
we had an original Yamaha generator in the village as far back as 1984. Amazing thing is, that very generator is still there and working perfectly. Gen they put on less than 2 weeks every year.

2 Likes

Re: Has Generator Been In Use In Nigeria Since 1988 ? by okwabayi(m): 2:38am On Jun 10, 2018
I am very sure of 1991. If not for the second-to-comment poster I would not have known generators here date far back as 1980.
This country is completely useless. I've lost hope.
Re: Has Generator Been In Use In Nigeria Since 1988 ? by ivandragon: 5:21am On Jun 10, 2018
in the 80s, owning an power generating set was a luxurious option & not a necessity.

while public power was erratic (terrible or nonexistent in some places), the population & industrialisation at the time did not warrant the use of a generator except absolutely necessary.

so, yes, there were generators in Nigeria as far back as the early 80s, but like cars back then, it was optional & mainly to show wealth...

op, on a lighter note, there have been generators in Nigeria since 1880 (or thereabouts).
Re: Has Generator Been In Use In Nigeria Since 1988 ? by munas: 8:03am On Jun 10, 2018
As far back as 1988,our landlord in delta state has a big yamaha generator that serves the entire compound whenever their is power cuts
Re: Has Generator Been In Use In Nigeria Since 1988 ? by Okoroawusa: 8:31am On Jun 10, 2018
epileptic power supply has been there since time immemorial but as population increases n more people wanted to be on the national grid it got worse

Lack of national development plan with consideration for increase in urban areas n population.

Also insincerity of government n corruption as pertaining to power supply since 1999 till day have robbed Nigeria of a solid foundation for economic and industrial advancement.

To answer your question, yes,generators have always been there but importation of cheap generators from Asian countries as we entered 4th republic made them readily available
Re: Has Generator Been In Use In Nigeria Since 1988 ? by HiddenShadow: 9:28am On Jun 10, 2018
Biafra had generators during the civil war.
Re: Has Generator Been In Use In Nigeria Since 1988 ? by Kayharry(m): 9:54am On Jun 10, 2018
MY grandmother bought her first genarator in 1979.yamaha generator
Re: Has Generator Been In Use In Nigeria Since 1988 ? by Beremx(f): 10:52am On Jun 10, 2018
If you had a generator back then, you were a big boy. It was like a luxury. Yamaha generators were the major generators used back then. Original one for that matter. At least I saw a big one in my village when my dad used it to power the whole of my extended family's house
Re: Has Generator Been In Use In Nigeria Since 1988 ? by nwabobo: 11:09am On Jun 10, 2018
Malawian:
we had an original Yamaha generator in the village as far back as 1984. Amazing thing is, that very generator is still there and working perfectly. Gen they put on less than 2 weeks every year.

Ekeresimesi things.
Re: Has Generator Been In Use In Nigeria Since 1988 ? by AdemolaA2: 1:46pm On Jun 10, 2018
okwabayi:
I am very sure of 1991. If not for the second-to-comment poster I would not have known generators here date far back as 1980.
This country is completely useless. I've lost hope.
I tire too my brother .. I never knew this power issue has been in existence since the 80s o ..
Re: Has Generator Been In Use In Nigeria Since 1988 ? by AdemolaA2: 1:47pm On Jun 10, 2018
Beremx:
If you had a generator back then, you were a big boy. It was like a luxury. Yamaha generators were the major generators used back then. Original one for that matter. At least I saw a big one in my village when my dad used it to power the whole of my extended family's house
Lol.. I can just imagine how big you guys were then ..

(1) (Reply)

I Shall Revamp Education; Engr. Adeola Sosanwo. / BREAKING: IPOB Endorses Buhari For 2019 / Picture Of PMB With ICC Judges In Hague

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.