Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,587 members, 7,820,120 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:03 AM

FG Wants 10 Billion Naira For Independence Day - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG Wants 10 Billion Naira For Independence Day (4684 Views)

FG Wants Speedy Completion Of Mambilla Power Project – Buhari / Deizani Alison-Madueke Denies Leasing Planes For 10 Billion Naira / "Progressive" Jigawa Governor In over 10 Billion Naira Fraud (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

FG Wants 10 Billion Naira For Independence Day by bigfather(m): 2:23am On Jun 02, 2010
N10bn Voted For 50th Year Party !

Ten billion naira shocked will be spent by the Federal Government to celebrate the 50th Anniversary of Nigeria’s independence in October. This was the highlight of the N639 billion naira Supplementary Appropriation Bill that President Goodluck Jonathan sent to the National Assembly for approval yesterday.

A breakdown of the expenditure shows that N950 million is budgeted for anniversary parade including march past, fleet review and aerial display, while another N350 million will be expended on  national unity torch and tour.

First Lady Mrs. Patience Jonathan will spend N50 million for a special visit to special homes, orphanages, prisons and selected hospitals, while N20 million will be used to sponsor a special session of the National Children Parliament.  Another N20 million will used to organise a party for 1000 children.

The government will further spend N40 million to organise a Presidential banquet, N50 million for calisthenics performance, N310 million for cultural, historical and military exhibitions while another N40 million will go for what the government called “food week.”

Other monies to be gulped by the 50th anniversary birthday bash include N320 million on secretariat equipment, accommodation, logistics and utilities while N30 million is budgeted for the designing and unveiling of the 50th anniversary logo.

Similarly, the Ministry of Information and Communications will spend N1.2 billion for insertion of special reports on Nigeria in both local and international media, another N320 million will be spent on jingles, adverts, billboards, documentary and publicity, while the Ministry of Foreign Affairs will receive N105 million for an undisclosed expenditure.

To mark the 50th independence anniversary, the government has also budgeted N700 million to accommodate and transport special guests both from within and outside the country. Another N450 million will be used to finance the production of branded souvenirs and gift items for foreign heads of state and to erect a coat of arms on Aso Rock.

Also as part of the bash, a variety gala night and fireworks will gulp N210 million naira; an international friendly football match and local competition will gulp N200 million while event managers and producers will take home N120 million naira. Designing and publication of a compendium on Nigeria will cost N400 million, while a similar one on the legislature will cost N150 million and a compendium on the judiciary will cost N50 million.

Commissioning  of the golden jubilee plaza will cost N10 million naira; while designing, construction and mounting of Tower of Unity in the 36 states of the Federation will gulp another N540 million.

Debates, essays, conferences, lectures, and a colloquium will gulp yet another N150 million; musical concerts and carnivals in the 6 geo-political zones will cost N60 million; durbar, masquerades and cultural dances will consume N100 million and designing and construction of 10 symbolic monuments of founding fathers of Nigeria will swallow up N80 million naira.

A memory tone at the Tafawa Balewa Square, Lagos will consume N40 million, security and protocol will cost N500 million naira while N25 million has been budgeted for medicals during the same anniversary.

Dailytrust.com
Re: FG Wants 10 Billion Naira For Independence Day by Osama10(m): 3:27am On Jun 02, 2010
Waste of funds.
Re: FG Wants 10 Billion Naira For Independence Day by TewMuch: 4:11am On Jun 02, 2010
To celebrate how retarded Nigeria is at 50? They should be hiding their heads in shame.That 10bn could be put into free education for all students.So stupid, when will Nigerians show these people who has the say in this country?
Re: FG Wants 10 Billion Naira For Independence Day by lyfe(m): 6:33am On Jun 02, 2010
Celebrating 50 years of epileptic power supply, unmotorable roads.
20 million for 1000 kids. At the end if the whole thing, less than 20% of the budget will be spent on d 50-year celebration paparazzi.
Then the remaining will be stashed away in foreign accounts, while some will transform into national development as mansions, castles and new bad as.s cars of the beneficiaries of these 'let's get richer' celebration will spring up.
Re: FG Wants 10 Billion Naira For Independence Day by ayo84(m): 6:42am On Jun 02, 2010
10 billion, these people don't have concepts,see what they are spending money on
Re: FG Wants 10 Billion Naira For Independence Day by philip0906(m): 7:11am On Jun 02, 2010
Osama10:

Waste of funds.
Dear its not waste of funds it is part of d internal rebranding.d party go make sense oooo.dis one na as e dey hot. cheesy grin grin.abegi how much be gate fee? tongue
Re: FG Wants 10 Billion Naira For Independence Day by vigasimple(m): 8:31am On Jun 02, 2010
N10 billion naira is the official spending. What is the unofficial spending, maybe a Trillion? naija has zeal for those spending spending, consuming consuming
Re: FG Wants 10 Billion Naira For Independence Day by jamace(m): 9:10am On Jun 02, 2010
Ori Iya mi ooooo shocked shocked Ojigbi jigbi jigbi angry angry This is indeed Golden Looting celebration. sad sad
Re: FG Wants 10 Billion Naira For Independence Day by chidichris(m): 10:10am On Jun 02, 2010
why N10b only? too poor for a great country like nigeri.
now we know how intelligent jonathan is.
this is the first time we are becoming 50 yrs, i suggest we spend and celebrat this one as if it will the last.
a fool at 50.
on the other hand, is this useless country worth celebrating?
Re: FG Wants 10 Billion Naira For Independence Day by Nobody: 10:25am On Jun 02, 2010
I hope jonathan is not on the verge of RUINING this country.a whooping 10 billion for a party?,EFCC must investigate this if it is approved.
Re: FG Wants 10 Billion Naira For Independence Day by texazzpete(m): 4:42pm On Jun 02, 2010
30 million naira to 'design and unveil the official logo'? Are these people on crack?!

Anyone who says "Nigeria will improve" must be retarded. There's no hope for Nigeria.
Re: FG Wants 10 Billion Naira For Independence Day by Kobojunkie: 4:48pm On Jun 02, 2010
[size=13pt]$ 67 Million US DOLLARS [/size] to celebrate Nigeria's 50th Birthday?
Re: FG Wants 10 Billion Naira For Independence Day by OAM4J: 4:52pm On Jun 02, 2010
Celebrate our failures for whopping N10b - Shame!.

The 50th year anniversary should have been a call to weep and wail for Nigeria.

Just may be, we can soberly reflect on our past and decide to make the next 50years better.

It will be better to equip some of the schools, hospitals or tare one of the death trapped road with the N10b
Re: FG Wants 10 Billion Naira For Independence Day by Nobody: 4:56pm On Jun 02, 2010
Kobojunkie:

[size=13pt]$ 67 Million US DOLLARS [/size]  to celebrate Nigeria's 50th Birthday?
that is courtesy of mr GOODLUCK JONATHAN OF NIGER DELTA region.
Re: FG Wants 10 Billion Naira For Independence Day by Bawss1(m): 5:03pm On Jun 02, 2010
Have this people no shame?
Re: FG Wants 10 Billion Naira For Independence Day by otawa: 5:04pm On Jun 02, 2010
$ 67 Million US DOLLARS   to celebrate Nigeria's 50th Birthday?

This is just the beginning. GoodLuck was the man whose wife stole $2,000,000.00 in 2007 and nothing happened.

I can bet, atleast $5million will go to his wife's pocket again.

If you dont know value of $67million, I will tell you:

1. It will build 745 well equiped primary schools all over Nigeria.

2. It will build solid 10 power plants of 10MW capacity each.

3. This is the half the National Budget of GAMBIA in 2009

4. It will build 6 world class hospital in six regions of Nigeria.
Re: FG Wants 10 Billion Naira For Independence Day by Kobojunkie: 5:07pm On Jun 02, 2010
ROFLMAO  . . . .

Ok @Otawa, I am gonna bite.  . . what is up with you and this woman? I mean I know she needs to be brought to justice for that case and any other but seriously, tell us. Why do I get the sense that this is more than just the money for you? Is she from your village or something? You encounter this woman before her husband became a politician or something? wetin? I am with you that she needs to face the music, but like my obsession with getting people to understand that Akunyili is no HERO, I think there is more to yours too. grin
Re: FG Wants 10 Billion Naira For Independence Day by otawa: 5:18pm On Jun 02, 2010
Kobojunkie:

ROFLMAO . . . .

Ok @Otawa, I am gonna bite. . . what is up with you and this woman? I mean I know she needs to be brought to justice for that case and any other but seriously, tell us. Why do I get the sense that this is more than just the money for you? Is she from your village or something? You encounter this woman before her husband became a politician or something? wetin? I am with you that she needs to face the music, but like my obsession with getting people to understand that Akunyili is no HERO, I think there is more to yours too. grin

Kobo. I dont know her and I have nothing to do with her.

My grouse is that every now and then we have CLEAN opportunity to set the country on the right path but what do we do; screw up.

In 1998 when Abiola and Abacha died, it was perfect chance to set the country straight but we were saddled with Mr Obasanjo.
We know how it ended.

In 2010 when Yaradua died, it was another perfect chance and what do we get? another thief as president.

Do you see what $67million could to to Nigeria I wrote above?

It is HALF the National budget of GAMBIA for crying out loud. useless country indeed!
Re: FG Wants 10 Billion Naira For Independence Day by OAM4J: 5:21pm On Jun 02, 2010
Kobojunkie:

ROFLMAO  . . . .

Ok @Otawa, I am gonna bite.  . . what is up with you and this woman? I mean I know she needs to be brought to justice for that case and any other but seriously, tell us. Why do I get the sense that this is more than just the money for you? Is she from your village or something? You encounter this woman before her husband became a politician or something? wetin? I am with you that she needs to face the music, but[b] like my obsession with getting people to understand that Akunyili is no HERO[/b], I think there is more to yours too.  grin

LOL  grin grin grin

so you admit you are obsessed with Akinyili !!!

While we wait for Otawa answer, can you also do us a favour, by letting us know the reason why you are obsessed with Akinyuli.  grin
Re: FG Wants 10 Billion Naira For Independence Day by OAM4J: 5:25pm On Jun 02, 2010
otawa:

Kobo. I dont know her and I have nothing to do with her.

My grouse is that every now and then we have CLEAN opportunity to set the country on the right path but what do we do; screw up.

In 1998 when Abiola and Abacha died, it was perfect chance to set the country straight but we were saddled with Mr Obasanjo.
We know how it ended.

In 2010 when Yaradua died, it was another perfect chance and what do we get? another thief as president.

Do you see what $67million could to to Nigeria I wrote above?

It is HALF the National budget of GAMBIA for crying out loud. useless country indeed!

I agree with you. The amount is ridiculous. And what do we gain after spending that amount on celebrating our 50yrs of failure?
Re: FG Wants 10 Billion Naira For Independence Day by Kobojunkie: 5:28pm On Jun 02, 2010
OAM4J:

LOL  grin grin grin
so you admit you are obsessed with Akinyili !!!
While we wait for Otawa answer, can you also do us a favour, by letting us know the reason why you are obsessed with Akinyuli.  grin

I am not obsessed with the woman. . . . I am more obsessed with trying to get people to understand that those they select as heroes eg. Akunyili, are not really heroes but a part of the problem in most cases.

I watched as this woman was mad minister back in 08, spent a whole year with one blunder after another in the name of CHANGING NIGERIA, and then at the end, she moves to make sure a lame president continues as president but instead people chose instead to READ WHAT THEY WANTED into what she said and made her a hero at the end of the day. It seemed like someone really from the TWILIGHT ZONE to me. I could not believe that even supposedly intelligent beings could read her memo and not see that she called, not for impeachment and doing the righ tthing according to our constitution, but for circumventing of the law in order to ensure the sick man remained president no matter what. I am still in shock to this day that even people like Wole Soyinka could not see that GBAJU E move dealt the nation! What if Yar adua had not died?

I am against this TAKE SIDES mentality that plagues people . . . rather than rationally dissecting situations, we look for people to make heros out of and that is why you have people who are willing to kiss arse without using their brains. To them, their HEROS can do no wrong and that is partly to blame for why those we have over us continue to stay on. They have support from people and these people are in most cases willing to go to any length to shut down opposition. That is why we continue to recycle the same bunch of incompetent crop of politicians.

Imagine some now believe Yar adua was a VICTIM in it all? He was a VICTIM when he instituted Sharia in Katsina? A Victim when he REFUSED for 8 solid years to at least advance Katsina's healthcare to world standards so others in the same state who cannot afford trips abroad can get comparable healthcare right there in their state? I seriously weep when I read some of the trash from minds like that.
Re: FG Wants 10 Billion Naira For Independence Day by Nobody: 5:34pm On Jun 02, 2010
Kobojunkie:

I am not obsessed with the woman. . . . I am more obsessed with trying to get people to understand that those they select as heroes eg. Akunyili, are not really heroes but a part of the problem in most cases.

I watched as this woman was mad minister back in 08, spent a whole year with one blunder after another in the name of CHANGING NIGERIA, and then at the end, she moves to make sure a lame president continues as president but instead people chose instead to READ WHAT THEY WANTED into what she said and made her a hero at the end of the day. It seemed like someone really from the TWILIGHT ZONE to me. I could not believe that even supposedly intelligent beings could read her memo and not see that she called, not for impeachment and doing the righ tthing according to our constitution, but for circumventing of the law in order to ensure the sick man remained president no matter what. I am still in shock to this day that even people like Wole Soyinka could not see that GBAJU E move dealt the nation! What if Yar adua had not died?

From the moment Akunyili came up with her 'memo', I knew that was ineveitable! sad sad

I bet that was a bigger motivating factor for her than the voice from J. Christ! cheesy
Re: FG Wants 10 Billion Naira For Independence Day by OAM4J: 5:35pm On Jun 02, 2010
@Kobo

Agree. But you took up the crusade like there are more to it.

Are you sure she didn't block one of your proposals or did something that affected you personally?
Re: FG Wants 10 Billion Naira For Independence Day by Kobojunkie: 5:39pm On Jun 02, 2010
OAM4J:

@Kobo

Agree. But you took up the crusade like there are more to it.

Are you sure she didn't block one of your proposals or did something that affected you personally?

Oh, well,  I took it personal because this was a woman who had an opportunity to change a ministry from top to bottom but instead WASTED all that time, decided to PLAY VICTIM in the end knowing Nigerian people are majorly gullible enoiugh to buy her sob stories. I took it personal because she turned out to be yet another SHAMELESS politician willing to play the cards she can, even bring GOD INTO IT, just so she can remain relevant and continue to eat some of that good money with the rest.

I take these things personal because I know it can be better than this but because we continue to buy most of the BULL, blinded by our religion and ethnic zeal, we may never have it now rather than later.
Re: FG Wants 10 Billion Naira For Independence Day by OAM4J: 5:50pm On Jun 02, 2010
But she is not different from or more guilty than others

Why her?
Re: FG Wants 10 Billion Naira For Independence Day by Kobojunkie: 5:53pm On Jun 02, 2010
OAM4J:

But she is not different from or more guilty than others

Why her?

That was my point!

She was being made to seem different from, and LESS guilty, than the others! My argument was that she was NOT. You only needed to read the comments made by people on here, and even in the media, about her being different to understand why I was appalled. No other politician in her group was being made into a saint by the Nigerian people or the media  . .  she was the SELECTED saint of the moment, not Omotoba or Rilwanu or any of the other politicians on the same team. If there was another, you bet I would have gone out to bring people to see the true picture of things as well. She happened to have played the VICTIM card and people, even Wole Soyinka, fell for it.

She was and probably still is a conniving politician willing to play the sides for as long as she can to remain up there.
Re: FG Wants 10 Billion Naira For Independence Day by OAM4J: 5:59pm On Jun 02, 2010
^^Ok. I accept. let me not derail the thread further grin

@Topic

Is there any hope for this country? It seems to me the leaders are not just getting it.
Re: FG Wants 10 Billion Naira For Independence Day by samorijack(m): 6:54pm On Jun 02, 2010
Only in  Nigeria, the land of visionless leaders smiley
Re: FG Wants 10 Billion Naira For Independence Day by Meddler(f): 7:29pm On Jun 02, 2010
Stupidity ohhhhh. What kind celebration be this. If you really want to celebrate go build better schools, roads, hey maybe light 16 or 24hrs will also work. Nonsense ppl!!
Re: FG Wants 10 Billion Naira For Independence Day by snowdrops(m): 7:33pm On Jun 02, 2010
Actually the amount is 1 billion naira.

9 billion is earmarked to be embezelled.
Re: FG Wants 10 Billion Naira For Independence Day by Meddler(f): 8:53pm On Jun 02, 2010
snowdrops:

Actually the amount is 1 billion naira.

9 billion is earmarked to be embezelled.

LMAO!
Re: FG Wants 10 Billion Naira For Independence Day by redsun(m): 9:02pm On Jun 02, 2010
What is there to celebrate?Nigerian citizens are being killed in libya like pest by madman gadaffi who is suppose to be a member or rather the chairman of  african toothless bulldogs union.(ATBC)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Multi-party System In Nigeria? What's your View / Yoruba Youths Clash With Igbos In Akure / Man Shows The Huge Bullets Shot To His House With Armoured Tank By Nigerian Army

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.