Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,935 members, 7,828,284 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 07:50 AM

What To Do When Your Partner’s Parents Don’t Like You - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / What To Do When Your Partner’s Parents Don’t Like You (1099 Views)

So Many Men Are Dating Women Who Don’t Like Them / 9 Things To Know When Meeting Your Partner’s Parents / My Parents Don’t Know I Met My Fiancee Online (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What To Do When Your Partner’s Parents Don’t Like You by 15Ebisco: 10:59pm On Jun 15, 2018
It would have been easy if one could always just get out of the relationship every time this happens. But of course, it’s never that easy.

It’s either too difficult because you are too connected to your partner to let go; or they won’t let you go because they don’t care what their family says.

So you can’t get up and out of the relationship, what could you possibly do?

Here are helpful tips if you ever find yourself in this situation:

1. What if they have a reason to?

Your partner is all that really matters, but parents have a stake in his or her life so their opinions can’t just be thrown out without consideration.

So when you get the feeling that one or both of them don’t like you, you need to a bahaviour check.

Some parents usually don’t have good reasons to hate on their kids’ partners, but sometimes, they do have things to really worry about.

It would make sense if they’d tell you what it is, but some of them won’t. It won’t hurt to discover these things and change by yourself.

2. Remain respectful

Even when it’s obvious that their dislike is unfounded, you can’t become disrespectful to them. Maintain respect, class and dignity and all times.

It’s your partner’s duty to stand up for you if they ever disrespect you.

3. Don’t make your partner take sides

Whether intentionally or unintentionally. Don’t force your partner’s hands into picking either you or their parents. They might resent you later for it.

If your partner would make that choice, let them do it without pressure from you.

4. Don’t knock yourself over it

If you have no secrets hidden from your partner and if he or she is cool with the totality of you despite what his parents or family say, then you have no problem.

Ultimately, the decision to defy parents will have to come from the person

5. Leave

As a last resort, you might have to let go.

You want to be sure you are not going into such situation with someone who won’t stand up for you, or who will make things even worse for.

And one of the ways to know will be how they respond to their parents’ dislike of you.

Do they respect you and ensure their parents do not disrespect you? Do they make their stand with you clear enough?

If they don’t, you might need to walk out of that relationship, no matter how much it hurts.

http://www.mcebisco.com.ng/2018/06/what-to-do-when-your-partners-parents.html

Re: What To Do When Your Partner’s Parents Don’t Like You by ednut1(m): 11:01pm On Jun 15, 2018
Get her preg. Case closed
Re: What To Do When Your Partner’s Parents Don’t Like You by k3velli(m): 11:04pm On Jun 15, 2018
Giv Her Belle Make She Born Threewince Sorry Triplet, I Swear The Mama Go Turn U To Her Superstar.
Re: What To Do When Your Partner’s Parents Don’t Like You by yanabasee(m): 11:06pm On Jun 15, 2018
The moment I find out that her parent don't like me is the moment their daughter will start surfing the internet for another lover......

Will not try to impress anyone.....!!! This is one reason why many ladies don't get settled on time.... especially the girl's mother will be the one to describe the kind of man that she'd be expecting her daughter to come home with!!! How silly??

1 Like

Re: What To Do When Your Partner’s Parents Don’t Like You by ImaIma1(f): 11:21pm On Jun 15, 2018
Ignore.

Act like you don't know they don't like you and keep doing your thing.

1 Like

Re: What To Do When Your Partner’s Parents Don’t Like You by austyn0(m): 11:51pm On Jun 15, 2018
ImaIma1:
Ignore.

Act like you don't know they don't like you and keep doing your thing.
What abou when it involves the parents making a decision against marrying you?
Re: What To Do When Your Partner’s Parents Don’t Like You by ImaIma1(f): 12:24am On Jun 16, 2018
austyn0:
What abou when it involves the parents making a decision against marrying you?

It is not the parents' decision to make. And a lady or guy should make their parents realize that they are adults and are old enough to make a decision that involves their future.
Re: What To Do When Your Partner’s Parents Don’t Like You by austyn0(m): 12:36am On Jun 16, 2018
ImaIma1:

It is not the parents' decision to make. And a lady or guy should make their parents realize that they are adults and are old enough to make a decision that involves their future.
Your parents might be understanding, but there are parents with the 80's mentality that would want their children to marry to their taste or there would be no blessing[Which is also essential]...

For example,, I once had an argument with my mum and dad over planning on marrying for love and happiness not origin....

They kept giving me reasons for marrying from my hometown or at least my state....They gave crucial points though,, like knowing more abou the family background of whom I am to marry...I and a friend had this same argument with another parent....

Judging by my mom's mentality towards marriage,, I don't see her accepting my choice of lady if she isn't her taste....

I hope it doesn't raise dust when it's time.
Re: What To Do When Your Partner’s Parents Don’t Like You by Nobody: 10:56am On Jun 16, 2018
ImaIma1:

Say that to diaper-wearing, bottle-feeding, apronstrings-tied adults.
Re: What To Do When Your Partner’s Parents Don’t Like You by ImaIma1(f): 7:21pm On Jun 16, 2018
austyn0:
Your parents might be understanding, but there are parents with the 80's mentality that would want their children to marry to their taste or there would be no blessing[Which is also essential]...

For example,, I once had an argument with my mum and dad over planning on marrying for love and happiness not origin....

They kept giving me reasons for marrying from my hometown or at least my state....They gave crucial points though,, like knowing more abou the family background of whom I am to marry...I and a friend had this same argument with another parent....

Judging by my mom's mentality towards marriage,, I don't see her accepting my choice of lady if she isn't her taste....

I hope it doesn't raise dust when it's time.

No matter how "ununderstanding " parents are, it is your job to set the bar and stand your ground.

I have previously mentioned my friend whose mum was proving stubborn because he was marrying outside his tribe.

He told her that is the woman he wants to marry and she (the mum) doesn't need to attend the wedding. He will send her pictures and come back later for her blessings.

If you keep allowing your parents have a say in your life as an adult, they could even tell you when to sleep with your wife and how many kids you should have.

When my folks are interfering in my affairs, i suddenly become very quiet. I don't argue or go back and forth. I just say what i want and keep quiet whenever they object or bring it up, they just back off.

2 Likes

Re: What To Do When Your Partner’s Parents Don’t Like You by austyn0(m): 11:46pm On Jun 16, 2018
ImaIma1:

No matter how "ununderstanding " parents are, it is your job to set the bar and stand your ground.

I have previously mentioned my friend whose mum was proving stubborn because he was marrying outside his tribe.

He told her that is the woman he wants to marry and she (the mum) doesn't need to attend the wedding. He will send her pictures and come back later for her blessings.

If you keep allowing your parents have a say in your life as an adult, they could even tell you when to sleep with your wife and how many kids you should have.

When my folks are interfering in my affairs, i suddenly become very quiet. I don't argue or go back and forth. I just say what i want and keep quiet whenever they object or bring it up, they just back off.
You thought well..

(1) (Reply)

Where Do We Draw The Line Between Sexual Harrasment And Flirting / Who Are 'runs Girls' , How Do You Spot Them? Photo Inclusive / Man Picks Up 9-year-old Girl Along The Road And Took Her Home To Live With Her

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.