Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,207 members, 7,815,211 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:04 AM

Nigeria Vs Greece: [1 - 2] On June 17, 2010 @ World Cup - Sports (49) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria Vs Greece: [1 - 2] On June 17, 2010 @ World Cup (53757 Views)

Poll: What will Nigeria do

Win: 84% (184 votes)
Draw: 6% (14 votes)
Lose: 9% (20 votes)
This poll has ended

Nigeria Vs Germany: U20 World Cup (0 - 1) On 11th June 2015 / 2014 WC Qualifier : Malawi Vs Nigeria (1 - 1) On June 9 2012 / Nigeria Vs Argentina: [0 - 1] On June 12, 2010 @ World Cup (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) (52) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Vs Greece: [1 - 2] On June 17, 2010 @ World Cup by nich(m): 9:15pm On Jun 17, 2010
abeg, who win?
Re: Nigeria Vs Greece: [1 - 2] On June 17, 2010 @ World Cup by otokx(m): 9:15pm On Jun 17, 2010
The NFF chose the COACH who chose the players. Its a pity we are so laid back and used to mediocrity; just see what Mexico is doing to France right now.
Re: Nigeria Vs Greece: [1 - 2] On June 17, 2010 @ World Cup by Nobody: 9:17pm On Jun 17, 2010
proudly9ja:

Failure is when you keep doing the same thing over and over again and expect a different result. How can anyone blame Lagerback who has only been with the team for three weeks ahead of a World Cup? Where in the world is that done? Have you forgotten Siasia  was with the U20 team for 2 months last year and failed in Egypt? And you expect Lagerback to perform magic in 3 weeks?

If we sack him again, we will be making the same mistake. I say if we have the money, let him stay with the team for another two years at least till the next ANC. Judge him after that.

He signed a contract and agreed a target of Semi Finals and accepted huge salaries based on that target and now he has not achieved that target and you say its not failure even when we are almost exiting the tournament with 2 losses in 2 matches of 3 group games. If it is not failure the only other thing it could be is fraud and deciet. You choose which one you think it is.

It is amazing how willingly you want to move the goal post for Lagerback.
Re: Nigeria Vs Greece: [1 - 2] On June 17, 2010 @ World Cup by Ajayi123: 9:18pm On Jun 17, 2010
ucysiz:

stop calling that man names u hear

Dr Kitaun your point being, ?
Re: Nigeria Vs Greece: [1 - 2] On June 17, 2010 @ World Cup by Ajayi123: 9:20pm On Jun 17, 2010
Dr Kitaun:

u dey mind these yeye armchair analysts ?

as if say na all teams get players with that kain mental strenght . . . angry

Abeg Dr Kitaun your point being, ?
Re: Nigeria Vs Greece: [1 - 2] On June 17, 2010 @ World Cup by DrKitaun(m): 9:21pm On Jun 17, 2010
Ajayi123:

Dr Kitaun your point being, ?

stop wanking on me . . .was I the one who posted that ?

Ok . . .I see ur goof grin

my point being - F.UCK OFF ALL U ANTI-LAGERBACK TWERPS !!!

Mourinho might not have salvaged a draw from the Kaita-like attitude of those irritants that played today

GOD BLESS ENYEAMA AND UCHE cheesy
Re: Nigeria Vs Greece: [1 - 2] On June 17, 2010 @ World Cup by Ajayi123: 9:24pm On Jun 17, 2010
AjanleKoko:

Did anybody (in Naija) listen to the Yobo post-match interview on Brilla FM this evening. Heard it while driving home.
The clown did a 2002 Taribo West impressario, condemning the players, calling them inexperienced and 'not good enough'.
He also ruled out any chance of Nigeria qualifying.

So, mathematicians, stand down! obviously your team have no plans of playing against Korea. Don't lose your money o.

Ajanlekoko my brother abeg tell dem joo. before self styled mathematicians for this forum go make innocent people commit suicide with wrong advise
Re: Nigeria Vs Greece: [1 - 2] On June 17, 2010 @ World Cup by otokx(m): 9:27pm On Jun 17, 2010
Was it not Liar Lagerback that was running mouth how Argentina should fear us, how he will give us a semi final place and nothing less. At least AMODU met his target on all the occasions he was called unlike this Liar. Now people are saying we should extend his contract after he has got a fantastic F. Pass mark is a cool credit.
Re: Nigeria Vs Greece: [1 - 2] On June 17, 2010 @ World Cup by proudly9ja(m): 9:30pm On Jun 17, 2010
mikeansy:

He signed a contract and agreed a target of Semi Finals and accepted huge salaries based on that target and now he has not achieved that target and you say its not failure even when we are almost exiting the tournament with 2 losses in 2 matches of 3 group games. If it is not failure the only other thing it could be is fraud and deciet. You choose which one you think it is.

It is amazing how willingly you want to move the goal post for Lagerback.

Ok. Go ahead. Sack Lagerback, hire whoever you want to hire of which I am sure he will be sacked just after the ANC in 2012 and another coach hired and that one too sacked just before the world cup and another one hired and expected to perform miracles at the world cup.

Nigerians are so short sighted. Keep blaming the wrong person for your errors.
Re: Nigeria Vs Greece: [1 - 2] On June 17, 2010 @ World Cup by toragema(f): 9:34pm On Jun 17, 2010
my heart still aches.Nigeria playd beta than Greece.y did we have2 score less?
Re: Nigeria Vs Greece: [1 - 2] On June 17, 2010 @ World Cup by Nobody: 9:38pm On Jun 17, 2010
Re: Nigeria Vs Greece: [1 - 2] On June 17, 2010 @ World Cup by Dede1(m): 9:46pm On Jun 17, 2010
Please may I call on the resident and retired international football coaches on this board to give projected super eagle’s line up for the match against S. Korea? We must quit ranting about spilt milk.
Re: Nigeria Vs Greece: [1 - 2] On June 17, 2010 @ World Cup by SisiKill1: 9:48pm On Jun 17, 2010
proudly9ja:

Failure is when you keep doing the same thing over and over again and expect a different result.

It's insanity not failure.
Re: Nigeria Vs Greece: [1 - 2] On June 17, 2010 @ World Cup by moonraker(m): 9:54pm On Jun 17, 2010
OBASI TAIWO YAKUBU UWA AND ABOKI KAITA, E NO GO BETTER FOR UNA

AAAAAHA, The game against greece was given to them by God on a platter of

Gold and yet, nothing, I thought that taiwos miss against argens was painful

OBASIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII, cheiiiii
Re: Nigeria Vs Greece: [1 - 2] On June 17, 2010 @ World Cup by proudly9ja(m): 9:58pm On Jun 17, 2010
Sisi_Kill:

It's insanity not failure.
Its Kaitastrphic!
Re: Nigeria Vs Greece: [1 - 2] On June 17, 2010 @ World Cup by dayokanu(m): 10:04pm On Jun 17, 2010
In most cases when a team goes down to 10 men, they lose

AT least 7 out of 10 times especially when the match was still in the first half unless the trailing team are so talented defensively
Re: Nigeria Vs Greece: [1 - 2] On June 17, 2010 @ World Cup by chamotex(m): 10:15pm On Jun 17, 2010
dayokanu:

In most cases when a team goes down to 10 men, they lose

AT least 7 out of 10 times especially when the match was still in the first half unless the trailing team are so talented defensively

DK, seriously I dont know when some people just started watching football.
Some were even saying we should be attacking more even after we were down to 10 men? Imagine!

It's a mental thing for any team with 10 men to naturally defend. NO matter what the coach says.
That's common sense.
Re: Nigeria Vs Greece: [1 - 2] On June 17, 2010 @ World Cup by dayokanu(m): 10:18pm On Jun 17, 2010
^^ You have to cope with a lot of world cup fans, those who support teams and watch football every 4 years
Re: Nigeria Vs Greece: [1 - 2] On June 17, 2010 @ World Cup by Nobody: 10:23pm On Jun 17, 2010
^^^^ was your team 10 men when the ball started?

You people make excuses as if there was some FIFA legislation before the match that Nigeria should start the match with 10 men against 11 Greeks.

we started 11 vs 11 and by the final whitsle it was 2 -1 to Greece and whatever led to that result is part of a failure which someone has to take responsibility for including the manager.

Last week it was because we were playing against a people called the Argentines, this week it is because we were 10 men, not sure what it will be next week. May be because South Korea's jessy is RED. Just keep making up excuses.
Re: Nigeria Vs Greece: [1 - 2] On June 17, 2010 @ World Cup by skyone(m): 10:24pm On Jun 17, 2010
[center]The whole team was kaitalised anyway only Enyeama survived the virus[/center]
Re: Nigeria Vs Greece: [1 - 2] On June 17, 2010 @ World Cup by obinna5000(m): 10:27pm On Jun 17, 2010
Joseph Yobo said in a post match interview that Nigeria has no chance of qualifying. So, they have already accepted defeat in the hands of the South Koreans. Where is this team's fighting spirit?
Re: Nigeria Vs Greece: [1 - 2] On June 17, 2010 @ World Cup by lastpage: 10:29pm On Jun 17, 2010
As painful as this loss is, l dont find it unexpected; to be honest.
I even find it amusing that emotions are running high to the point of peeps developing some heartache grin

If you allow me, let us go back to a thread where we talked about Ghana's performance  https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-456614.128.html and some peeps said we should learn from Ghana and some others felt we have nothing to learn (some were even beefing Ghana on that thread).

Points l am making is these (in summary):
1.)Success in football (and anything) does not come in a day or "suddenly"; its a slow, deliberate and calculated "process"
There is a saying that comes to mind: Those who FAIL to PLAN are PLANNING to FAIL
Appointing a coach, three weeks to a tournament is the height of mediocrity!
Is that Coach supposed to be a "magician" or  just an "opportunist" who will make away with "awoof money"? grin

2.) Since success is first about planning (luck, talent, flair, e.t.c will come in later) and NFF is in charge of planning our football, THEY TAKE THE BLAME FOR FAILURE. End of story.
Has anyone blaming Amodu ever realized that you cant give what you dont have? The man has given his "best" but its not good enough.
Thus we either "make him better" by re-training and further exposure (if we are intelligent enough to appreciate what it means to succeed under your own color/flag).
The "awoof money" we paid LagerBeer would hav produced better results if we can put it into apprenticing Siasia and Amodu with any of the Top Clubs for two years (Put them under Maurinho @Real Madrid, Wenger or Sir Alex in the premiership).
Imagine what choice we would have if we do that NOW, for the 2014 WorldCup?
but trust me, we would waste more money of LagerBeer and then he would scram later and we would still repeat this error in 4years time! DO WE EVER LEARN AT ALL?

Someone defined "failure" as repeating the same mistakes over and over again. Well, based on that definition, NFF has failed so many times we would be justified to change their name to FAILURE itself.

Lets forget THIS Worldcup, its over, in a shameful way for a country so talented.
Lets PLAN for the next one NOW.

How do we PLAN?
1.) Get the dead-woods out of NFF. They are mostly after Estacodes and they are clueless.
2.) Develop and support Grassroot football at the secondary school  level ((a)Encourage and sponsor Principals/Collegiate football competitions (b)Dedicate a "Department" to Grass-root football development who will coordinate such program
3.) Let their be continuity: Develop a database of local footballers, follow-up on good footballers, assist such to develop further by being involved in their daily life. Develop a "welfare package" to help footballers and all "talented" sport people. Let their be graduation from Under-16 players to Under-18, under-21, to Super Eagles.
4) Develop sports infrastructure within the country: Now, especially in Lagos and other developed cities, all the "open spaces and Green areas" we use to play football in when we were younger has been converted (appropriated by government) Shops or to build private residence by some "Big-man with connections! shocked shocked
Thats one of the reasons violence like Armed robbery is on the rise, there is a correlation between anti-social behavior and availability of recreational facilities.
5.) Finally, put people who have three qualities to run our football: (1) Good knowledge of the game (2) Passion for the game (3) Zeal and Selfless service for fatherland (4) Vision of "what and how" things should be.

Its quite simple as you can see, anyone with a "small brain" can do these things but unfortunately, even "small brain" is scarce in Nigeria grin grin especially in the current NFF! shocked shocked

My ten cents.
Re: Nigeria Vs Greece: [1 - 2] On June 17, 2010 @ World Cup by dayokanu(m): 10:40pm On Jun 17, 2010
Mikeansy, I am not sure you are a football follower. When Man utd played Bayern they lost largely due to a red card bagged.

For this reason we can say Ferguson is an id-iot
Re: Nigeria Vs Greece: [1 - 2] On June 17, 2010 @ World Cup by Nobody: 10:40pm On Jun 17, 2010
God bless you LASTPAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Nigeria Vs Greece: [1 - 2] On June 17, 2010 @ World Cup by proudly9ja(m): 10:42pm On Jun 17, 2010
mikeansy:

^^^^ was your team 10 men when the ball started?

You people make excuses as if there was some FIFA legislation before the match that Nigeria should start the match with 10 men against 11 Greeks.

we started 11 vs 11 and by the final whitsle it was 2 -1 to Greece and whatever led to that result is part of a failure which someone has to take responsibility for including the manager.

Last week it was because we were playing against a people called the Argentines, this week it is because we were 10 men, not sure what it will be next week. May be because South Korea's jessy is RED. Just keep making up excuses.

And what was the score at 11 vs 11?
Re: Nigeria Vs Greece: [1 - 2] On June 17, 2010 @ World Cup by no1madman(m): 10:46pm On Jun 17, 2010
Watching super eagle is dangerous 2 health.be warned!
Re: Nigeria Vs Greece: [1 - 2] On June 17, 2010 @ World Cup by viewlekan: 10:48pm On Jun 17, 2010
I am still recovering from the outcome of today's match, we had everything going for us until the Kaita incidence. I can presume that if he hadn't recieved a red card we would have comfortably won the match . I still opine that I am more comfortable with lagerback as a coach than Amodu and it has absolutely nothing to do with lagerback being a foreign coach cuz I would have preferred Siasia as our coach in all honesty.

It was very unfortunate that the red card came earlier on in the match and that affected the team drastically. The Nigerian team is not known for its discipline and focus during matches hence i knew we were in trouble immediately such Kaita was shown the red card as he plays a very important role in the midfield, lets be frank- if it was it was Enyeama that was sent off (God Forbid!!) we could still have won the match but loosing such a pivotal player in the midfield was disastrous for the team dynamic.

I applaud the courage of the Greek team and their coach because they displayed high levels of tenancity and forward thinking because I doubt if Nigeria would have taken advantage of the same situation. Haven said that, and I surprise myself by saying this- I believe that this could be a blessing in disguise, the group is still "wide open " for Greece, S.Korea and Nigeria. Barring any surprises, Argentina would comforatbly and easily beat Greece and all Nigeria needs is a win, just a win!!, its going to be difficult as the S.Koreans are no push overs, but we have a mental advantage??///Enyeama is the darling of the world cup at the moment and he knows this and would put up his best performance and equally the Nigerian side can change formation/players for the third match . Lagerback has no choice but to put forward an attacking formation next tuesday. He has to play Etuhu, Haruna, Osaze and probably Uche in the same match. While Yakubu has surprised me with his average level of hunger as opposed to the usual nonchalant attitude, it would be interesting to see Martins start the game.

The ball is out of our court and we cannot decide our fate but all the things being equal and with some measure of  luck , i would not be surprised if Nigeria qualifies for the second round. After that , it would be expedient to start making preparations to return home, just my thoughts
Re: Nigeria Vs Greece: [1 - 2] On June 17, 2010 @ World Cup by Nobody: 10:48pm On Jun 17, 2010
proudly9ja:

And what was the score at 11 vs 11?

ok award the 3 points to whoever was ahead when we were still 11 vs 11 lets see.
Re: Nigeria Vs Greece: [1 - 2] On June 17, 2010 @ World Cup by bouzymill(m): 10:49pm On Jun 17, 2010
The irony of the whole situation is that, if the NFF people have any opportunity to read all these things people are saying here.  .   .   What they would say is that we are all ignorant. .  . That is the story of lamp (which light the room but keeps its own  behind in darkness).     NFF = Nigerian Failure Federation
Re: Nigeria Vs Greece: [1 - 2] On June 17, 2010 @ World Cup by mamagee3(f): 10:53pm On Jun 17, 2010
seunbanme:

Maybe mama-gee didn't go to pri-primary school
You mean maybe seunbanme didn't go to pre-kindergarten school? undecided
Re: Nigeria Vs Greece: [1 - 2] On June 17, 2010 @ World Cup by nearest(m): 10:54pm On Jun 17, 2010
I go dey pray so tey! Kanu go be MVP, so tey! Kaita go be the highest goal scorer, so tey! Nigeria go win Agentina, so tey!
I go dey pray so tey!  Lagerback go decide to resign, so tey!
Amodu go return as coach, so tey!
Niaja i dey hail oh! Una too dey fail oh! Even when you fail oh! You no still dey gree oh!
Re: Nigeria Vs Greece: [1 - 2] On June 17, 2010 @ World Cup by chikend(m): 10:57pm On Jun 17, 2010
no1madman:

Watching super eagle is dangerous 2 health.be warned!
Word!!

(1) (2) (3) ... (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) (52) (Reply)

Sam Adekugbe's Mother Overjoyed At Her Son's World Cup Debut For Canada / Kelechi Iheanacho Celebrates Leicester City's FA Cup Win With Nigerian Flag / Paul Pogba And Zulay, His Wife Welcome Third Child

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.