Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,681 members, 7,809,583 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:38 AM

How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. - Science/Technology (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. (91214 Views)

Stop Wasting Your Money On Data!! / Affordable European Standard Samsung Led Tvs (used & New) / How Nigerians Access Instant Loans On Fairmoney Without Collateral (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. by Ellixlimswag(m): 4:17pm On Jun 24, 2018
VocalWalls:

Even a few minutes ago sef.
which network do you use beacuse i use fibre optics and network still de frustrate me
Re: How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. by okwabayi(m): 4:17pm On Jun 24, 2018
LIFEisSIMPLE:
I quite participating in this kind of debate when i found out a member of my church subcribes for a 200k data plan monthly for his house. I couldnt even find that shii on the network provider website. My brother techcapon they know 4k and 4g and they use it well for their viewing pleasure. Their house in Abuja attracts good network. Poverty is a killer of destiny i swear
Sometimes I believe these debates are necessary to an extent. I remember when my friend was a member here having sleepless nights trying to educate fellow users on the benefits of netflix subscriptions. Let me not even start with the Uber debate he had here.
It took only a few months before Nigerians, especially nairalanders, warmed up to both concepts.

Some people here talk rubbish but silently take notes when coming across new ideas. If OP didn't create this topic I'm sure some people wouldn't know a thing like 4K entertainment exists.

4 Likes

Re: How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. by Itanna: 4:23pm On Jun 24, 2018
VocalWalls:
You are underestimating Nigerians. I use a 4K with Netflix and I’m not the only one.

There are also lots of 4K videos on YouTube which I can stream from my YouTube app.

The fact that you subscribe for 1gb does not mean everyone else does same. I was recently amazed at the number of Nigerians who have ditched dstv for Netflix, many who haven’t are limited by their TV’s capabilities.

So, maybe you should look deeper, before casting ill thought aspersions.

Buy the TV you can afford and move on, don't hate on people's TV even if they don't maximize on its capabilities, it is somewhat sadistic.
pls how do i use Netflix? Is with unlimited data? Which network offers such? Thanks
Re: How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. by airsaylongcon: 4:23pm On Jun 24, 2018
ollah2:

What is the speed limit before you get throttled?

I've hit 2Mbps at top speeds
Re: How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. by okwabayi(m): 4:24pm On Jun 24, 2018
grossintel:
8k is a scam, anything above 4k the human eyes can't tell the difference.
People once said this about 1024 x 768 resolution on PC screens and mobile phones. Never pay attention to naysayers, they will later sing your praise when they see reason to.
Re: How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. by Childishbanjino(m): 4:27pm On Jun 24, 2018
thapukka:
Na for PS4 pro me dey use am for.....but honestly that is the only stuff I do with it....

How much did you get your Ps4Pro?
Re: How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. by skales67(m): 4:31pm On Jun 24, 2018
chukzyfcbb:
if you are the type that's not so freaked about latest inventions and upgrades, and you needbto get a TV. I will say go for the latest! It will still stand out in years to come.

Imagine Buying a 720p TV now and you may not change this TV in the next 6yrs or more, that TV may look funny/ugly to you in 6-7yrs time. But if you go for the latest, even in 6yrs time when other inventions may have come out. Your 6years old 4k TV will still stand out.

Dunno if someone is understanding me smiley

So you wish to be in the same level you are now in the next 5-6 years? undecided
Re: How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. by Ipraise04: 4:31pm On Jun 24, 2018
You are on point, am not even enjoying the 3D smart television i both because i couldn’t find the 3D movies to enjoy the effect
Re: How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. by stefanweeks: 4:37pm On Jun 24, 2018
IgbosNIGHTMARE:

Ignorance

This one is for you

1 Like

Re: How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. by Nobody: 4:41pm On Jun 24, 2018
If you have the money to buy a 4K UHD TV, then it means you can afford to buy an Xbox one...if you can afford the two, it means you have the money to afford unlimited internet to stream content on it like Netflix. If you are going for unlimited internet, don't patronize mobile networks like MTN, 9mobile, Ntel or even Spectranet etc.

Go to big internet companies like Cobranet who will give you true and ultrafast internet connectivity.
Re: How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. by vicezet: 4:42pm On Jun 24, 2018
[itwould take a long time before dstv upgrades to a 4K display. They are yet to upgrade to Hd + which is the 2k
Re: How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. by GraGra247(m): 4:42pm On Jun 24, 2018
Re: How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. by Naturalobserver(m): 4:44pm On Jun 24, 2018
soberdrunk:
Nigerians nor send this type of analysis, so long as it is expensive and fine they will buy. I remember walking into one of the Foauni stores and one of the attendants started marketing a Tv that cost "8 million naira" to me, even if i could afford it my ancestors will not be happy with me if i buy it......... angry
dat
Re: How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. by linkszelda: 4:48pm On Jun 24, 2018
Anybody who owns an Xbox one X knows the importance of a 4k TV with HDR10

2 Likes

Re: How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. by dru23(m): 4:50pm On Jun 24, 2018
okwabayi:

Sometimes I believe these debates are necessary to an extent. I remember when my friend was a member here having sleepless nights trying to educate fellow users on the benefits of netflix subscriptions. Let me not even start with the Uber debate he had here.
It took only a few months before Nigerians, especially nairalanders, warmed up to both concepts.

Some people here talk rubbish but silently take notes when coming across new ideas. If OP didn't create this topic I'm sure some people wouldn't know a thing like 4K entertainment exists.
To all my uber / engine oil customers... especially the ones that are still using non imported engine oil. I will be giving two lucky person free USA spec Castrol as a trial to use on their vehicles.. I will not sell a product that I don't use myself.. So believe that am using USA Castrol 5w30 on my fleet ..let me open you people eye open and not do any trade secrets at all.
If you know you can't afford USA Mobil 1 oil. Please send me an email for a free trial of USA . If people tell you that USA spec Castrol full synethic oil is a mess ,imagine the engine oil that you are buying from Nigerian market is like.. Lets stay woke people. Buy USA Castrol oil for your car, give it trial.. Let us make good engine oil affordable for the masses.
The next two person that sends me an email in the 20 minutes will get a free trial of USA Castrol 5w30 and it will be based on the condition that the person will review the oil on nairaland and also show evidence that the oil was given to him or her by dru23 .let's go people.. Am waiting

On the email please title it USA spec Castrol free trial so that I know how to track the person.. Thanks

dru23@hotmail.com

THANK YOU ALL THAT EMAIL ME .. THE PROMO IS NOW OVER .. I MIGHT DO A SIMILAR ONE IN THE NEAR FURTURE.
Re: How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. by Akinpelumusibau: 4:55pm On Jun 24, 2018
Olachase:
who am I to reject it yes sir I do cry cry cry I just rented apartment I don't hv TV in my room

Cant stop laughing here
Re: How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. by linkszelda: 4:57pm On Jun 24, 2018
grossintel:
Last I checked the memory capacity of a compact disk (CD) is 737mb, so how exactly does a 2 hours movie on 4k which could take about 220GB or 2GB per min fit inside a compact disk, the way you guys talk eh, sometimes I wonder the people behind this monikers.

Blu-ray disc usually used for Playstation and Xbox games have a capacity of up to 128gb
Re: How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. by Akinpelumusibau: 5:03pm On Jun 24, 2018
Samcoflex75:

baba, your boy dey here too o

My Oga i loyal oooooooooooo to ur call
Re: How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. by GraGra247(m): 5:04pm On Jun 24, 2018
VocalWalls:

Ntel, 15k, unlimited.

Its not unlimited. It has fair usage restrictions from what users say.
Re: How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. by crafteck(m): 5:12pm On Jun 24, 2018
You are wrong, 2k x 3k isnt the highest 4k right now, suhd is higher than uhd and there's even a newer system, you are not a gamer and you dint work in graphics dept. Im 2 busy to expatriate
Re: How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. by Nobody: 5:13pm On Jun 24, 2018
linkszelda:

Blu-ray disc usually used for Playstation and Xbox games have a capacity of up to 128gb
Blueray disk is just 25gb per layer capacity, not even enough for a 30min video on 4k. But ps4 games can hold 128gb on 4 layers but that's just 1hour of a native 4k video and this is the best they can offer for now. You don't get it, both the ps4 pro and Xbox aren't delivering native 4k resolutions except only in game cut scenes that last for about a min or two. The games you think are 4k are just upscaled contents, the way it works is the games are programmed to upscale contents within the user's focus and render less details in the background. This is possible because the graphics are rendered in real time and not recorded so its easier to save more memory this way. 4k contents are better off streamed than stored on a hard disk, even if you have a 5 terabyte of space on a hard disk, you will one be able to store just 22 full movies on native 4k and this is the big problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K48U18eOSc8
Re: How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. by Tonymegabush1(m): 5:15pm On Jun 24, 2018
OK we don hear Pls how much is the television cost 4 market

1 Like

Re: How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. by ollah2: 5:16pm On Jun 24, 2018
airsaylongcon:

I've hit 2Mbps at top speeds

That's abmysal. What's the cap before it gets throttled?
Re: How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. by Samcoflex75(m): 5:17pm On Jun 24, 2018
Akinpelumusibau:

My Oga i loyal oooooooooooo to ur call
na you be oga o
Re: How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. by ollah2: 5:21pm On Jun 24, 2018
prince3009:
If you have the money to buy a 4K UHD TV, then it means you can afford to buy an Xbox one...if you can afford the two, it means you have the money to afford unlimited internet to stream content on it like Netflix. If you are going for unlimited internet, don't patronize mobile networks like MTN, 9mobile, Ntel or even Spectranet etc.

Go to big internet companies like Cobranet who will give you true and ultrafast internet connectivity.

Is cobranet still working, efficient and effective?

1 Like

Re: How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. by DrSuezCanal: 5:22pm On Jun 24, 2018
TechCapon:
@TechCapon

4K UHD TVs are the best display TVs in the market but it's not for the Nigerian market! What am I even saying ? It's not even for the African market ! But we see this TVs in the showrooms and eventually in the homes of people, even some government office connect their CCTV cameras to 4K TVs so the security men can see what's really happening around the building. Funny, they just buy it without understanding the concept behind it. This post is for enlightenment purpose because people are fund of buying electronic gadgets without doing little research or at least seek the advice of an expert. They rather rely on the advice of salesmen/saleswomen who are just there for one reason, make profit ! It is a good thing to embrace new and better technology, but there’s a difference between embracing new technology and just wasting money. In this post I’m going to explain exactly why Nigerians are wasting money on one of such technologies.

THE 4K ULTRA HIGH DEFINITION TV.

First of all, what is 4K ?

It's not a fancy name, 4K is actually a resolution (2160 X 3840). The highest video display resolution right now! To enjoy the power of true 4K UHD technology, you must have a high video resolution of 2160 X 3840 pixels to match with the 4K UHD TV, that's when you can say you're watching 4K TV. This display is a lot better than the usual HD and full HD displays and produces super-rich quality, life-like displays.

Sorry to say this but a lot of Nigerians don’t understand how resolutions work. A lot of people who buy 4k UHD TVs have never watched 4k videos before. THE MAJOR PROBLEM IS, there are few 4K contents available. A 5 minute 4k video is about 2GB in size how much more a full movie of almost 2 hours. A lot of TV shows, movies and TV networks are not even available in 4K resolution ! Not even MTV, CNN, BEIN SPORTS, SUPER SPORTS, FOX NEWS, AFRICAN MAGIC, SOUNDCITY, NAT GEO WILD etc displays 4K UHD videos. They only display in HD. So what’s the point of splashing huge amount of cash on 4K UHD TV only to go home and watch the regular videos or cable TV channels. You’re not different from the guy who bought a much cheaper FULL HD TV because its same video resolutions and you can hardly notice the difference. Agreed it does upscale the video quality to some extent but it's still not 4K. TV stations around the world are not ready to embrace the 4K UHD technology yet! Unless you ready to stream 4K videos directly from NETFLIX or AMAZON PRIME at mind blowing data rates, you can hardly enjoy the 4K experience. Even if you have the cash to burn, which internet service provider in Nigeria can give you enough bandwidth to stream 4k movies non-stop on Netflix at 2160 X 3840 pixels everyday ? This is a secret no TV sales man will ever tell you. Buying such TV in Nigeria is like buying a Ferrari and driving it in a street full of potholes. You can hardly enjoy it !

Do you think Nigeria will be ready for the 4K TV technology in the next 5-10 years ? Tell us in the comment section

SOURCE: http://techcapon.com/how-nigerians-are-wasting-money-on-4k-uhd-tvs/

you can enjoy 4k resolution with your PS4 pro or Xbox one X
Re: How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. by Wagasigiungu(m): 5:23pm On Jun 24, 2018
BestDataDeals:

Where do you think I bought it sir. I bought it from cash and carry ikeja. Isn't that a genuine place to get it.??

Check out the receipt na

Bros edit out ur name, phone number and any other personal details na.

#JustSaying
Re: How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. by Alex80s(m): 5:30pm On Jun 24, 2018
People sometimes buy a product because of their beauty. I wouldn't blame anyone who bought 4k TV.
The tin shape alone is awesome. Their is always a difference between it and others. All you need do is buy an DSTV HD decoder, you will definitely enjoy your while waiting for 4k files.
Meanwhile, you can get 4k video from anyone living abroad. I got some from a friend in USA.
Re: How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. by linkszelda: 5:41pm On Jun 24, 2018
grossintel:
Blueray disk is just 25gb per layer capacity, not even enough for a 30min video on 4k. But ps4 games can hold 128gb on 4 layers but that's just 1hour of a native 4k video and this is the best they can offer for now. You don't get it, both the ps4 pro and Xbox aren't delivering native 4k resolution. The games you think are 4k are just upscaled contents, the way it works is the games are programmed to upscale contents within the user's focus and render less details in the background. This is possible because the graphics are rendered in real time and not recorded so its easier to save more memory this way. 4k contents are better off streamed than stored on a hard disk, even if you have a 5 terabyte of space on a hard disk, you will one be able to store just 22 full movies on native 4k and this is the big problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K48U18eOSc8

My brother Xbox one X not only comes with native 4k but also with HDR10. Not "upscaled Content"
Re: How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. by Bobbyjay001(m): 5:48pm On Jun 24, 2018
VocalWalls:
You are underestimating Nigerians. I use a 4K with Netflix and I’m not the only one.

There are also lots of 4K videos on YouTube which I can stream from my YouTube app.

The fact that you subscribe for 1gb does not mean everyone else does same. I was recently amazed at the number of Nigerians who have ditched dstv for Netflix, many who haven’t are limited by their TV’s capabilities.

So, maybe you should look deeper, before casting ill thought aspersions.

Buy the TV you can afford and move on, don't hate on people's TV even if they don't maximize on its capabilities, it is somewhat sadistic.

How much does the 4k TV cost?
Re: How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. by tolugar: 6:07pm On Jun 24, 2018
BandAid:

The OP made a lot of sense. I happen to own an Ultra HD TV and disappointingly, I rarely enjoy the 4K content it offers because such are very limited and also expensive. An average 4K Blu ray DVD costs about 70 Dollar and it's not even available in Nigeria, not to talk of the fact that in addition to owing this special TV, you also need a 4K DVD player in order to play a 4K video. You have to order 4K DVDs from Amazon and the like.

For now, having a 4K TV is a share waste of money in Nigeria. A Full HD TV would just do.
Subscribe to NTel

And surf Netfix and co. Thank me later

Big Man Big Trouble
Re: How Nigerians Are Wasting Money On 4K Ultra HD TVs. by IgbosNIGHTMARE: 6:09pm On Jun 24, 2018
tolugar:

Already ordered one bro. Will send you pic soo
Exactly
In your next life...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Massive Hippopotamus Killed In Lokoja / Drone Spotted At Ojota Bus Stop This Afternoon(Photos) / Gulf Of Alaska: Two Oceans Meet But Do Not Mix"?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.