Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,795 members, 7,810,066 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:53 PM

How Well Can You Speak Your Mother Tongue? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / How Well Can You Speak Your Mother Tongue? (7898 Views)

Poll: How Fluent Are You?

Very Fluent: 62% (69 votes)
I try: 17% (19 votes)
Not Good: 10% (11 votes)
I cant Speak It: 10% (11 votes)
This poll has ended

Which Nigerian Languages can You Speak? / Do You Think In English Language Or Your Mother Tongue? / Do You Speak Yoruba? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Well Can You Speak Your Mother Tongue? by Meklex(m): 7:06am On Jun 09, 2010
I am from south-east so there's no deal speaking both native and foreign language afterall I was taught both in school, NDEWO Nü
Re: How Well Can You Speak Your Mother Tongue? by Brightlife: 7:12am On Jun 09, 2010
I speak and write my language fluently, am sure my children are going to do so.
Re: How Well Can You Speak Your Mother Tongue? by Ojumiii(m): 7:16am On Jun 09, 2010
I can speak n write yoruba n Hausa basic level and i understand little Nupe

I don't speak English with any Nigerian accents but i don't see anything wrong in it.

what is wrong in accents?, Spanish, German, Italian, etc speaks English with there accents
Re: How Well Can You Speak Your Mother Tongue? by Nobody: 7:21am On Jun 09, 2010
Ojumiii:

I can speak n write yoruba n Hausa basic level and i understand little Nupe

I don't speak English with any Nigerian accents but i don't see anything wrong in it.

what is wrong in accents?, Spanish, German, Italian, etc speaks English with there accents
It's either you dont speak yoruba/hausa fluently or you speak English without accent.

I think it's highly impossible to speak english without accent and yoruba fluently. No be oyibo yoruba you dey speak?
Re: How Well Can You Speak Your Mother Tongue? by moneyp(m): 7:23am On Jun 09, 2010
Tcrack:

i speak yoruba like every other lagosian.
the truth is, i have never seen any yoruba man speaking yoruba only. we always tend to add one english word or another. even the illitrates who cant speak english do this too .same applys for the ibos.  dont know much about hausas.

E ma wo bobo yi sha, Mo le so lai fi ede geesi si. maa bo ladugbo mi ko wa wo bo sen lo.
Re: How Well Can You Speak Your Mother Tongue? by Suntemi(m): 7:27am On Jun 09, 2010
Mo le so, ko ati ka yoruba dada meaning I[b] can speak, write and read yoruba fluently. [/b]
Re: How Well Can You Speak Your Mother Tongue? by Nobody: 7:28am On Jun 09, 2010
moneyp:

E ma wo bobo yi sha, Mo le so lai fi ede geesi si. maa bo ladugbo mi ko wa wo bo [b]sen [/b]lo.
"k'owa" or "ki o wa"

"se n"
Re: How Well Can You Speak Your Mother Tongue? by denzel2009: 7:46am On Jun 09, 2010
I do speak Yoruba very well as a typical Ibadan boy. Most of my yoruba prayers get answered more sef.
Re: How Well Can You Speak Your Mother Tongue? by Nobody: 7:49am On Jun 09, 2010
denzel2009:

I do speak Yoruba very well as a typical Ibadan boy. Most of my yoruba prayers get answered more sef.

Se o ko moh pe Yoruba ni ede Olorun?
Re: How Well Can You Speak Your Mother Tongue? by Nobody: 7:49am On Jun 09, 2010
Anam asu igbo very good,  grin
Re: How Well Can You Speak Your Mother Tongue? by denzel2009: 7:53am On Jun 09, 2010
FL Gators:

Se o ko moh pe Yoruba ni ede Olorun?

Mo fe mo pa ni. I dont really have the conviction that the prayer is effective in English.
Re: How Well Can You Speak Your Mother Tongue? by babaowo: 7:57am On Jun 09, 2010
i can even sing with my language
Re: How Well Can You Speak Your Mother Tongue? by igboboy1(m): 8:16am On Jun 09, 2010
TO speak igbo na war for me, I hear but speak 25%,

DOnt know who to blame . Cant blame my parents cos they speak igbo to me all the time. I think I would blame warri. I have never seen anybody who grew up in warri that can speak his/her language fluently na so so pdigin dem dey scatter for AREA.
Re: How Well Can You Speak Your Mother Tongue? by oluagness(m): 8:17am On Jun 09, 2010
Don't mind them, for me, I speak fluently in me native language
Re: How Well Can You Speak Your Mother Tongue? by wazobiang: 8:27am On Jun 09, 2010
so well, i should write a book on it.
Re: How Well Can You Speak Your Mother Tongue? by gide: 8:50am On Jun 09, 2010
i speak my language very fluently and i also speak hausa really well.
Re: How Well Can You Speak Your Mother Tongue? by dominique(f): 8:58am On Jun 09, 2010
i speak native language on the basic level, write it just ok, read it real bad embarassed

moneyp:

E ma wo bobo yi sha, Mo le so lai fi ede geesi si. maa bo ladugbo mi ko wa wo bo sen lo.

se o wa pa iro ni? most lagosians tend to speak diluted version of yoruba. only recently did i find out that padlock was agadangodo (i'm not even sure i spelled it right sef embarassed)
Re: How Well Can You Speak Your Mother Tongue? by marabout(m): 9:02am On Jun 09, 2010
Then spare a thought for those raising kids in diaspora if kids growing up at home cannot speak mother tongue.

It is a big challenge trying to teach kids native tongue.  Back in the day, we were given strokes of the cane for daring to speak VANERCULAR at school. That's how efficient oyinbo brainwashing was even after on-paper-independence.

Ordinarily noisy boys would suddenly become as quite as deaf and dumb because they couldn't muster a lot in English!!
I am always perplexed when you call home, kids pick phone, you are talking to them in native tongue and they r replying in English. Terrible.

Somebody once mentioned here on NL that if you cannot do science & technology in ur native tongue, a country can hardly succeed in technology.

Does any know what LIQUID CRYSTAL DISPLAY is called in their mother tongue?
Re: How Well Can You Speak Your Mother Tongue? by Nobody: 9:15am On Jun 09, 2010
I speak and write Yoruba as fluently as my English
Re: How Well Can You Speak Your Mother Tongue? by slap1(m): 9:16am On Jun 09, 2010
Onweghi ihe m na agaghi eji Igbo ekwu ma dee, isi na obu asi ikuchara m ka anyi nwa.
Re: How Well Can You Speak Your Mother Tongue? by aieromon(m): 9:17am On Jun 09, 2010
I can't speak the Ishan language fluently
Re: How Well Can You Speak Your Mother Tongue? by chimoney1: 9:20am On Jun 09, 2010
as an Igbo man ,who grew up in igbo land, i attended Assemblies of God Church where we used igbo language in the sunday school and it helped me in speaking and writing  Igbo language. right now i based abroad and my kids are with me over here i always try to teach them igbo language as to enable them to communicate with my people once we return home.
Re: How Well Can You Speak Your Mother Tongue? by Princek12(m): 9:20am On Jun 09, 2010
marabout:

Then spare a thought for those raising kids in diaspora if kids growing up at home cannot speak mother tongue.

It is a big challenge trying to teach kids native tongue.  Back in the day, we were given strokes of the cane for daring to speak VANERCULAR at school. That's how efficient oyinbo brainwashing was even after on-paper-independence.

Ordinarily noisy boys would suddenly become as quite as deaf and dumb because they couldn't muster a lot in English!!
I am always perplexed when you call home, kids pick phone, you are talking to them in native tongue and they r replying in English. Terrible.

Somebody once mentioned here on NL that if you cannot do science & technology in your native tongue, a country can hardly succeed in technology.

In a country with an estimated 250 tribes and over 400 languages, how will kids communicate with each other, and how will the teacher teach the students effectively, if each child is allowed to speak vernacular in school? Please respond objectively, without any personal attacks.
Re: How Well Can You Speak Your Mother Tongue? by tithe(m): 9:24am On Jun 09, 2010
It's quite a pity that many can't speak their local dialect especially igbos that grew up in Lagos.

But thank God we have the solution here, it's called tongue transplant. We can give you a tongue of any dialect you want at a very cheap cost. Available are calabar,igbo,Yoruba, Chinese and even kwai.

Interested should contact me.
Re: How Well Can You Speak Your Mother Tongue? by Nobody: 9:27am On Jun 09, 2010
My Igbo and Yoruba are just above average.
Re: How Well Can You Speak Your Mother Tongue? by ud4u: 9:28am On Jun 09, 2010
very fluently
Re: How Well Can You Speak Your Mother Tongue? by tkb417(m): 9:28am On Jun 09, 2010
i can even do incantations in yoruba cheesy

ive seen all yoruba home videos and oh yeah, ive learnt all vocabs
Re: How Well Can You Speak Your Mother Tongue? by Dungren(m): 9:38am On Jun 09, 2010
marabout:

Somebody once mentioned here on NL that if you cannot do science & technology in your native tongue, a country can hardly succeed in technology.

I bet no one here can translate that in a local language.

Countries like Germany, Russia, Japan, China, France etc are able to compete with U.S, U.K because with their local languages, there is in-depth understanding of what is being taught from generation to generation. But in Nigeria, with over 400 languages! May God help us.
Re: How Well Can You Speak Your Mother Tongue? by Princek12(m): 9:39am On Jun 09, 2010
tkb417:

i can even do incantations in yoruba cheesy

ive seen all yoruba home videos and oh yeah, ive learnt all vocabs

Are you a babalawo?
Re: How Well Can You Speak Your Mother Tongue? by ZUBBYNWA(m): 9:40am On Jun 09, 2010
I can speak and write Igbo very well, what a good and so simple language in the world?

UMU IGBO KWENU! CHUKWU BU IKE ANYI
Re: How Well Can You Speak Your Mother Tongue? by VALIDATOR: 9:42am On Jun 09, 2010
I speak and write my native language very well. but na dat one i go take collect money from bank?
Re: How Well Can You Speak Your Mother Tongue? by tkb417(m): 9:45am On Jun 09, 2010
Princek12:

Are you a babalawo?
no sir

im just trying to emphasize how fluent i am with my lang cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

12 True Facts You Have Never Heard About The Yoruba Nation / Yoruba Words And Their Sources / Torley Nigeria Launches #torleypidginchallenge To Celebrate Nigeria’s Diversity

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.