Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,561 members, 7,827,096 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 07:05 AM

How Well Can You Speak Your Mother Tongue? - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / How Well Can You Speak Your Mother Tongue? (7921 Views)

Poll: How Fluent Are You?

Very Fluent: 62% (69 votes)
I try: 17% (19 votes)
Not Good: 10% (11 votes)
I cant Speak It: 10% (11 votes)
This poll has ended

Which Nigerian Languages can You Speak? / Do You Think In English Language Or Your Mother Tongue? / Do You Speak Yoruba? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Well Can You Speak Your Mother Tongue? by tkb417(m): 9:47am On Jun 09, 2010
Does any know what LIQUID CRYSTAL DISPLAY is called in their mother tongue
afihan to mole finifini grin grin grin
Re: How Well Can You Speak Your Mother Tongue? by jaybee3(m): 9:49am On Jun 09, 2010
^^^^
WTF not even gonna try with d pronunciation shocked
Re: How Well Can You Speak Your Mother Tongue? by tkb417(m): 9:51am On Jun 09, 2010
jay bee:

^^^^
WTF not even gonna try with d pronunciation shocked
u ke? u be oyinbo na

me i be proper lagos boi cheesy cheesy
Re: How Well Can You Speak Your Mother Tongue? by dbigrod(m): 9:58am On Jun 09, 2010
[size=16pt]its  a shame.i do understand my language but i cant speak it so well.i was so embarrassed when my grandma spoke to me on phone and i couldnt communicate with her without code switching.it was so embarrassing. sad  sad  sad[/size]
Re: How Well Can You Speak Your Mother Tongue? by VALIDATOR: 10:00am On Jun 09, 2010
I know this may be hard for many of us to take,but our indigenous languages will gradually die off. They just are not suitably adaptable for today's and of course tomorrow's technological and business demands. Right now,the written aspects are dying.As time goes on the spoken aspect will die too.
Re: How Well Can You Speak Your Mother Tongue? by ndigbo: 10:09am On Jun 09, 2010
i speak raw owerri lang like mad, people ask if i was born in the village
Re: How Well Can You Speak Your Mother Tongue? by marabout(m): 10:12am On Jun 09, 2010
At Princek12,

Am not a bulldog to attack!

For sure we have many dialects  but many dielects are related. e.g. Ibo dialects: Ikwerre, Anioma and Eastern Ibo are Igboid people, Edos, Isoko, urhobo and some others are Edoid, and the Yorubas and Hausas/fulani are largely homogeneous. Idoma, Tiv and others still have a commonality.

We have only been so fragmented because we don't know otherwise.  What I mean is that Ghana also has tens of dialects but almost everyone  understands Twi. US was made of different Europeans speaking different languages: English, German, Dutch, Spanish, Italian, and some Irish-speaking and other minorities. English was only narrowly adopted over German as US national language.

If we had more unity, a language (indegeneous) could have been adopted post independence to be taught alongside English as official language with the agreement that teaching of other regional native tongues will be equally funded. Hausa (am not from the North) would have been  ideal beause of widespread use in West Africa. But the Igbos, Yorubas, Etsako, Nupe,  just name it,  will say why not their own language. English as we know it did not become intelligible to all Englishmen until Shakespeare's English became standard English. Before that a Yorkshire man could not understand the rambling of a Londoner! German and French people also previously had diffrent dialects. Danish & Norwegian were basically one language 150 years ago.
Re: How Well Can You Speak Your Mother Tongue? by sesman(m): 10:41am On Jun 09, 2010
I can speak Yoruba Fluently and i can also speak my Ijebu Dialect fluently, is that good enough for ya Guv'nor grin

oh i speak a bit of cockney as well
Re: How Well Can You Speak Your Mother Tongue? by firebrand: 10:46am On Jun 09, 2010
My first language was Remo, then Yoruba and lastly the white man language, and i can speak the three fluently.
Re: How Well Can You Speak Your Mother Tongue? by tubabie(f): 11:09am On Jun 09, 2010
I speak my native language fluently
Re: How Well Can You Speak Your Mother Tongue? by slap1(m): 11:25am On Jun 09, 2010
does anyone know what LIQUID CRYSTAL DISPLAY is called in their mother tongue
I don't even even know what it is called in English,lol.
Re: How Well Can You Speak Your Mother Tongue? by davidif: 11:43am On Jun 09, 2010
I regret that i can only speak basic yoruba, i wish i could speak ekiti cry cry cry. FOR ALL THOSE NAIJA PEOPLE WEY SABI SPEAK UNA DIALECT I ADMIRE UNA O.
Re: How Well Can You Speak Your Mother Tongue? by Toppiano(m): 12:04pm On Jun 09, 2010
Am a Nigerian born, Lagos based, and Ijesha native,
Mo le fi ijesha ko rap.
I can write, read, mime, sing, and walk the Ijesha way, With people like me Ijesha will survive the next millenium, Wherever I go and see someone that understands Ijesha I speak it without apology to anyone,
Yesi han bo de?
Ara rian ni an bode, cool shocked
Re: How Well Can You Speak Your Mother Tongue? by felxfame(m): 12:09pm On Jun 09, 2010
i
Re: How Well Can You Speak Your Mother Tongue? by Suntemi(m): 12:12pm On Jun 09, 2010
I always envy my mum whenever she speaks yoruba in Ekiti dialect. She will be like 'Yeye re siko'? and the reply will be 'O wa lule'.  I can speak lagos yoruba wellaly but other ones men 'I dey struggle ni'.
Re: How Well Can You Speak Your Mother Tongue? by felxfame(m): 12:14pm On Jun 09, 2010
never grew there but can speak a little.
Re: How Well Can You Speak Your Mother Tongue? by beambola: 12:18pm On Jun 09, 2010
i can speak and write my mother tongue very fluently, mo le tun pa owe gan. i can be even speak my native language wella.

@poster sef: hw well can u speak ur own mother tongue, without phonetics?     lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

@seswan: which part of ijebu r u from?
Re: How Well Can You Speak Your Mother Tongue? by Eskycom: 12:22pm On Jun 09, 2010
Am still in class two, will soon graduate. Mum's tongue, Efik, Usuk Usuk
Re: How Well Can You Speak Your Mother Tongue? by romsky: 12:25pm On Jun 09, 2010
i can speak the bastardized Yoruba accurately u know the mi mi mi version, writing is out of it
i can write in Hausa since i grew up in the North & South South
Re: How Well Can You Speak Your Mother Tongue? by Dungren(m): 12:34pm On Jun 09, 2010
beambola:

i can speak and write my mother tongue very fluently, mo le tun pa owe gan. i can be even speak my native language wella.

@poster sef: hw well can u speak your own mother tongue, without phonetics?     lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

@seswan: which part of ijebu r u from?

Thank God I had a good Yoruba teacher back in secondary school. I can speak, read and write in Yoruba. I wish I could have learned additional local language though.
Re: How Well Can You Speak Your Mother Tongue? by skyndyp(f): 12:36pm On Jun 09, 2010
I speak and write Ibibio and Efik fluently. I interpret message in church if there are visitors, and i studied English in school. So my kids will speak my language bc i just love it. AKWA IBOM ADO OK!
Re: How Well Can You Speak Your Mother Tongue? by Nobody: 1:04pm On Jun 09, 2010
It's an abomination for 'Nwa Igwe' to not be able to speak the dialect fluently! cool cool
Re: How Well Can You Speak Your Mother Tongue? by Suntemi(m): 1:04pm On Jun 09, 2010
skyndyp:

I speak and write Ibibio and Efik fluently. I interpret message in church if there are visitors, and i studied English in school. So my kids will speak my language bc i just love it.[b] AKWA IBOM ADO OK![/b]
Luf that part even as I don't know the meaning.
Re: How Well Can You Speak Your Mother Tongue? by Suntemi(m): 1:06pm On Jun 09, 2010
Ujujoan:

It's an abomination for 'Nwa Igwe' to not be able to speak the dialect fluently! cool cool

Eeehhhhhh shocked shocked shocked
Re: How Well Can You Speak Your Mother Tongue? by honeric01(m): 1:06pm On Jun 09, 2010
Understands Yoruba very well, can speak, read and write

Understands Bini very well, Can speak but can't read nor write it embarassed

Understands Ibo a bit but can't speak, read nor write.
Re: How Well Can You Speak Your Mother Tongue? by Dotman01(m): 1:30pm On Jun 09, 2010
Am a yoruba boy and can speak ibadan,egba and oke ogun dialects lol.
Re: How Well Can You Speak Your Mother Tongue? by Odunnu: 1:44pm On Jun 09, 2010
I speak my dialect,language, and the 3major languages so fluently that i'l win an award anytym.
U'l only beat me in writing in any these languages,bt I dey try sha.
Re: How Well Can You Speak Your Mother Tongue? by otukpo(f): 1:49pm On Jun 09, 2010
I can speak and write my native language very well
Re: How Well Can You Speak Your Mother Tongue? by skyndyp(f): 3:43pm On Jun 09, 2010
Ispeak and write Ibibio and Efik fluently. I interpret message in church if there are visitors, and i studied English in school. So my kids will speak my language bc i just love it. AKWA IBOM ADO OK!

Luf that part even as I don't know the meaning.

It means[b] Akwa Ibom is Ok![/b]
Re: How Well Can You Speak Your Mother Tongue? by hayyah(m): 4:15pm On Jun 09, 2010
I speak ma local dialect (Yoruba) very well coz that is ma language. Emi ko ni fi owo osi juwe Ile Baba to bi mi l'Omo. so let's try and speak our language so that people will be able to see and know where exactly we represent. I'm Omo Yoruba Atata and I'm very proud to be a Yoruba man. Yorubas! the best and the most respected ethnic group in Nigerian. I represent[b] Ogbomoso[/b]. the Home of Valiants! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: How Well Can You Speak Your Mother Tongue? by patwhizkid(f): 4:35pm On Jun 09, 2010
I can't speak, read or write in my natif language!
Re: How Well Can You Speak Your Mother Tongue? by cecegorz(m): 5:02pm On Jun 09, 2010
'Does any know what LIQUID CRYSTAL DISPLAY is called in their mother tongue'

Ihe mmiri mmiri kpukoro akpuko na e gosikwa

Go figure, guys.

Absolutely i agree with the guy that hinted that no nation can be technologically strong with out kids being taught basic sciences; Integrated science (Physics, Chemistry, Biology) in the native language.

It just cannot work. A friend went to South Korea and could not find Windows XP English version anywhere in the shops to install. That is the way to go.

But who do you blame here, when all your job applications/interviews are conducted in English?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

PHOTOS: South Africans Go Nude To Celebrate Africa Day / When Are We Going To Start This Festival In Nigeria / Torley Nigeria Launches #torleypidginchallenge To Celebrate Nigeria’s Diversity

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.